ImageImageImageImageImage

Rumor (no link): Colangelo will pursue Hedo

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

DarkKnight
Analyst
And1: 672

Rumor (no link): Colangelo will pursue Hedo 

Post#1 » by DarkKnight » Wed May 6, 2009 2:16 pm

Ok, so here goes. Many on this board know me, I've been here for about 8 years now and I tend to post in discussion threads (generally longer posts and then some shorter ones in conversation following up). I have never posted a rumor of any kind nor have I claimed to have inside sources. However, I had an interesting conversation last night that I felt I would share with the group. I take it with a grain of salt and so should you, but it's the slow season and every discussion point at least livens things up. Mods, if this isn't OK then let me know. I've been a good citizen for this long, no reason to screw it up now. On to the story....

So I'm out at a high-end steakhouse in the city very recently. After about 3 hours, I go on a tour of the place with my waiter. The waiter relates to me the following.

He mentions that BC often comes in, with coaches/scouts/whoever etc along, and takes over one of the private rooms (that happens to have a flatscreen). He and the coaches will eat steaks and watch basketball on the TV and talk about players etc. One day when BC was there, Orlando was in town and Turkoglu was eating dinner in the dining room. BC this time was sitting at the bar watching another screen, so he goes over to Turk's table and sits down. They chill for a while, there seems to be a lot of laughter etc., and BC gets up looking very pleased. He comes back to the bar and remarks "I think he might be playing for us next year."

So that's the story. It's second hand info but it's something. Turk does fit a few of the things the raptors need (scoring and rebounding from the 3), he's European and likes the city (and we all know the raps like to go after the talented euro guys), he can terminate his contract in the offseason (when we have some cap room), and he's a guy who can score and still share the ball (about 5 APG each of the last 2 seasons). Bonus, it would weaken an eastern conference rival.

So there you go - it's a rumor. There's a story and you're not going to find a web link for it. If you want I'll start a blog and throw it up there and then set up a link, but that seems like a waste of time. Take from it what you will. I won't be holding my breath, but it seems like bringing in Hedo would be an upgrade IMO.

EDIT: TO talk briefly about Turk's defense, since rthis is a big issue for the raps. According to 82games, the raptors allowed opposing SFs a PER of 17.2. Turkoglu allowed opposing SFs a PER of 13.2. The nprevious season he gave up a PER of 13.9. SO by the numbers, he's a very good defender at the 3. By contrast, Lebron gave up a PER of 13.6 to SFs this year.
"JJ is a fineness player." - knickerbocker2k2 (meaning to say "finesse", about James Johnson)
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Re: Rumor (no link): Colangelo will pursue Hedo 

Post#2 » by Reignman » Wed May 6, 2009 2:22 pm

Hedo would be alright, he can handle the ball, shoot and create a bit. His defense needs work but overall it would be a good fit towards BC's vision of an offense-first team.

But how do we get him without renouncing everyone? I doubt we get him for the MLE. And if we did do that, we'd lose Marion, creating another glaring hole in our starting lineup.
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#3 » by pspot » Wed May 6, 2009 2:22 pm

he'll want more than the MLE, so basically it would have to be s&t Marion for Turk?

at which point Orl would probably just keep Turk
nm
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#4 » by RonaldArtest » Wed May 6, 2009 2:23 pm

He could've said it jokingly. Either way, nice story and thanks for shairing. Also thanks for mentioning steaks before lunch my friend....
Marvin!
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 806

Post#5 » by Marvin! » Wed May 6, 2009 2:24 pm

not surprising really... Although i'm not sure that's the right direction to go
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#6 » by supersub15 » Wed May 6, 2009 2:28 pm

Yeah, rumours like that, while not overly explicit, are allowed. They make for good basketball discussion. Thanks for sharing DarkKnight.

As for Hedo, it depends what style we want to play. If we want to continue running, Marion is a better option. If we want to go back to a slow-it-down style, Hedo is better. Either option is not overwhelming me though.
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#7 » by EventHorizon » Wed May 6, 2009 2:28 pm

That's horrible news.
DarkKnight
Analyst

Post#8 » by DarkKnight » Wed May 6, 2009 2:28 pm

Quick replys to a few posts here:

1. As seen in my Edit, Turk is a vastly underrated defender. I'm sure someone will bring up that he has dwight behind him stuffing shots at the rim, and this is true. But you don't get PERs downt hat low just because of the guy behind you - you have to do something right.

2. Cap space. It's all conjecture at this point. Renouncing the FAs (esp. Marion) could clear enough room to sign Turk outright, depending on where the raps draft pick ends up being and where the cap number actually lands for next year. Obviously this is a very fluid thing at this point, but teams have acquired more expensive guys with less cap room (see Gasol, Pau).

3. Steaks are awesome but I'm still full from dinner.

4. Whether or not it's the best direction to go is debatable, but if you need to win games next year to keep Bosh, bringing in a borderline all star at a weak position, and one who likes to pass, isn't a bad way to go.
"JJ is a fineness player." - knickerbocker2k2 (meaning to say "finesse", about James Johnson)
DarkKnight
Analyst

Post#9 » by DarkKnight » Wed May 6, 2009 2:29 pm

supersub15 wrote:Yeah, rumours like that, while not overly explicit, are allowed. They make for good basketball discussion. Thanks for sharing DarkKnight.

As for Hedo, it depends what style we want to play. If we want to continue running, Marion is a better option. If we want to go back to a slow-it-down style, Hedo is better. Either option is not overwhelming me though.

Good to know.

And if we want to be a running team now, our PG situation may need to be altered too.

And for EventHorizon - Why?
Assassin_1
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: Running up in your spot faster than CJ from San Andreas

Post#10 » by Assassin_1 » Wed May 6, 2009 2:37 pm

We need guys that play defense, we already have Bargnani, Bosh, and Calderon starting for us. We need glue guys not more offensively minded players. I doubt we get Hedo but if we do its not a grade A move. He is another second banana, and if we do get him I hope we start running way more often because I hate the kind of defense we play. Though our line-up look sweet on paper it be garbage in reality.
Bargnani
Bosh
Hedo
DeRozan
Calderon
Thats all offense and zero defense, not even the basketball version of Einstein could think of defensive set that could not help but give up a hundred points night in and night out.
chai guy
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#11 » by chai guy » Wed May 6, 2009 2:38 pm

Is Hedo a good enough defender to guard opposing wing players? if not then i dont kno....
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#12 » by Alfred » Wed May 6, 2009 2:38 pm

Can Hedo man the two full time? Because if he comes for the MLE, couldn't we sign Marion and then pick up Hedo?

He could play the 2 on offense, and we'd get Marion to guard their best wing player.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,344

Post#13 » by Shaazzam » Wed May 6, 2009 2:40 pm

It would allow us to drop a pitbull in at the 2 spot whereas if we stick with Marion we still need another guy who can attack defences.

I wonder, and I understand it's a poopoo platter, but they might actually fit really well in ORL who don't have much cap space to speak of in 2010 anyways, if a S&T with Krapwno and Humphries would be possible.

Their salaries would allow us to take back a contract up to $11,491,200 I think. Not saying I want to sign Hedo to that much cake and I don't expect any magic fans to be overly excited about those two players, but I wonder...

Edit: S&T allows us to keep Marion as well possibly.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#14 » by pspot » Wed May 6, 2009 2:42 pm

DarkKnight wrote:2. Cap space. It's all conjecture at this point. Renouncing the FAs (esp. Marion) could clear enough room to sign Turk outright, depending on where the raps draft pick ends up being and where the cap number actually lands for next year. Obviously this is a very fluid thing at this point, but teams have acquired more expensive guys with less cap room (see Gasol, Pau).

if we renounce all our FAs to sign Turk is that essentially

Marion, Parker, Joey, and no MLE (Delfino too?) for Turk?
nm
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#15 » by EventHorizon » Wed May 6, 2009 2:42 pm

My view is biased, but the facts are: Hedo is 30, not a spring chicken, he is not a play-off performer and does not rebound well enough to make up for Bargnani's shortfalls.

Finally, there are better alternatives available. E.g. Luol Deng - young bruising SF and play-off performer, Marvin Williams - young bruising SF, still has potential.
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#16 » by Spragga » Wed May 6, 2009 2:42 pm

Well Hedo would help us having another guy who can actually dribble. And he doesnt mind taking the last shot. So he's not a bad option.
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
Salted Meat
Starter
And1: 1,572

Post#17 » by Salted Meat » Wed May 6, 2009 2:43 pm

I guess it was technically an "informal discussion," but doesn't it fall under league tampering rules for Colangelo to speak to another team's player while they're under contract? Obviously it was done on the sly, so no one could really prove anything went down, but still...

Hedo playing the 3 for the Raptors would give us a massive front court. If we can S&T Marion for a decent starting 2-guard, draft a swing or guard (Jennings, Evans, Clark, DeRozon) and lose some of our dead-weight contracts, we might actually be in good shape going into 2010.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,029

Post#18 » by Duffman100 » Wed May 6, 2009 2:44 pm

Orlando might do the S&T.

Marion is most effective when he's playing the PF position. Right now, they're a bit exposed with Shard guarding PFS. They have enough 3 point shooting with Nelson, Lee, Reddick, Lewis...so losing Hedo's 3 point shooting isn't that huge.

Losing Hedo's ball handling and penetrating skills are the only concern, but since Courtney Lee has shown he can do that...they might bite.

Honestly, I'd do this trade. Better than losing Marion for nothing. If Hedo makes 8-9 million over 4 years
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,344

Post#19 » by Shaazzam » Wed May 6, 2009 2:44 pm

J-Slim wrote:We need guys that play defense, we already have Bargnani, Bosh, and Calderon starting for us. We need glue guys not more offensively minded players. I doubt we get Hedo but if we do its not a grade A move. He is another second banana, and if we do get him I hope we start running way more often because I hate the kind of defense we play. Though our line-up look sweet on paper it be garbage in reality.
Bargnani
Bosh
Hedo
DeRozan
Calderon
Thats all offense and zero defense, not even the basketball version of Einstein could think of defensive set that could not help but give up a hundred points night in and night out.

I disagree that we don't need another offensive player. We absolutely, positively need another guy who can break down defences from the wing.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,747

Post#20 » by Fairview4Life » Wed May 6, 2009 2:45 pm

He's better than Kapono, but I don't really like it unless he actually turns back into 07 Hedo and comes relatively cheap.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Toronto Raptors