ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Blake Griffin

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Draft Countdown: Blake Griffin 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Thu May 7, 2009 4:29 pm

Instead of debating Jose Calderon for the 78935th time, I thought it'd be a cool idea to count down all the possible candidates for the first round of the 2009 NBA draft. Since we technically have a chance at the first pick, we start today with Blake Griffin.

Main College Stats:

Code: Select all

TS%   Blk%   ORB%   DRB%
0.648  3.6    14.1   32.4 

Positives:
•Athletic big man
•Great wingspan
•Big, soft hands
•NBA body
•Tough
•Physical
•Strong
•Explosive leaper
•Excellent motor
•Finishes at the rim with authority
•Creative in finding ways to score
•Decent ball handler for his size
•Tenacious rebounder
•Crashes offensive boards

Negatives:
•Lacks polished offensive skills
•No real post moves yet
•Shaky jump shot
•Poor free-throw shooter
•An uncommitted defender
•Relies mostly on strength and athleticism
•Injury concerns about knees

Topics of discussion:
1. What do we do with our frontcourt if we get him?
2. What do you expect from Griffin in his first year in the NBA?
3. Anything else you want to talk about?

Tomorrow: Ricky Rubio
KG1585
Head Coach
And1: 248

Re: Draft Countdown: Blake Griffin 

Post#2 » by KG1585 » Thu May 7, 2009 4:34 pm

I think getting rid of Bosh would be the obvious choice. Unless, the Raps still think that Bargs can play small forward.

I could see Griffin averaging 15 and 9 in his first year.
Jouissance
Junior
And1: 9

Post#3 » by Jouissance » Thu May 7, 2009 4:37 pm

If by some miracle we land Griffin, I really think we need to trade him. At the very least he nets you a high-quality good SG to pair with Marion. In a perfect world, he lands a SG and the #2 pick (Rubio). In any case, whether Bosh signs an extension or not, the pick has to be leveraged into a swing.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#4 » by Alfred » Thu May 7, 2009 4:37 pm

If we get him, we obviously have to trade one of Bosh or Bargnani. I think that Bosh might be the better one to trade, because I don't know if his body can handle another year at center, and he's most likely to leave for greener pastures. If you trade Bosh, maybe Beasley could be a bit more palitable at the SF spot. That would be a pretty impressive frontcourt.

I expect 15/7/1 from Blake Griffin in his first year in 28 minutes per game. I see him topping out at an Amar'e-like 24/10/2 player.
itbobby007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,827

Post#5 » by itbobby007 » Thu May 7, 2009 4:39 pm

I think you definitely keep him. At that point you have to entertain trading Bosh and rebuilding around 2 very complimentary big men. The main return for Bosh that you would be looking for would be an above average SG/SF. IMO if we hold onto Bosh we will more than likely be a treadmill team.
Jouissance
Junior

Post#6 » by Jouissance » Thu May 7, 2009 4:41 pm

Why trade one of the proven commodities when there is so much hype about the unproven one? Plus, Bosh and Bargs both have chemistry with one another and with the team...if you can turn the pick into a very good SG and a pick—even if it is late first round— you can re-sign Marion and we are good to go.
distracted
Veteran
And1: 56

Post#7 » by distracted » Thu May 7, 2009 4:43 pm

If we somehow got griffen, I would entertain trading Bosh to Detroit.

I dunno how much they would offer, but I'd want at LEAST Prince/Maxiell/Pick, and would insist they take Crapono.

If we could somehow include Banks ad Stuckey (pipe dream, even for a Bosh trade) I would be uber happy.

Either that or trade him to the Kings for KM (or Blake to Kings for KM). If we could add in one of our bad contracts and a King's pick, even better!
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#8 » by Mascot » Thu May 7, 2009 4:48 pm

if in some unbelievable way we land the #1 pick we trade Bosh to Atlanta for Joe Johnson

Jose Calderon/Joe Johnson/Shawn Marion/Blake Griffin/Andrea Bargnani
Salted Meat
Starter
And1: 1,572

Post#9 » by Salted Meat » Thu May 7, 2009 4:50 pm

Nice idea :)

What can you say about Griffin that hasn't been strewn into hyperbole yet? The kid's going to be a really solid player in the league, but he's had the no. 1 pick handed to him on a silver platter. Does he have the drive to improve on the defensive end, and not just rely on his incredible athleticism? His skillset reminds me of an Amare.

If we somehow land him, i think we blow the team up. Trade Bosh and Kapono/Banks for pick no.2 + fillers, take Rubio, Slide Bargnani to the 4, Keep Marion at the 3, and fill in the gaps (since all of this is hypothetical anyway)... a core of Rubio, Griffin and Bargnani? yes please.

I'd expect Griffin to come out of the gate strong... but get into foul trouble like most rookies... he'll get it together by the end of the season though and be set to have a solid sophomore year. I'd say his top-end will see him averaging numbers of 17 and 8... depending, of course, where he ends up.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#10 » by timdunkit » Thu May 7, 2009 4:51 pm

If you get Griffen, trade Bosh for the number 2 pick (not so farfetched if he is willing to sign an extension) and draft Rubio ... then trade Jose for picks and a serviceable wing ... Rubio+Griffen+Bargs core could do some damage in a few years ...
Jouissance
Junior

Post#11 » by Jouissance » Thu May 7, 2009 4:51 pm

Mascot wrote:if in some unbelievable way we land the #1 pick we trade Bosh to Atlanta for Joe Johnson

As much as I'd prefer to trade the pick, I'd love this trade. That said, I don't think the Hawks would go for it.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#12 » by basketball royalty » Thu May 7, 2009 4:52 pm

Mascot wrote:if in some unbelievable way we land the #1 pick we trade Bosh to Atlanta for Joe Johnson

I like, but ATL really has no need for Bosh with JSmith and Horford. Maybe a 3way can be worked out. I mos def like getting JJ back in a deal for Bosh.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,505

Post#13 » by Brinbe » Thu May 7, 2009 4:53 pm

Ideally, I'd trade out... It's not that Griffin isn't a good player (and he could well be a great player) but we have Bosh+Bargs occupying our 4+5 spots and until we're assured that Bosh is out, that's how it should remain. But I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to deal CB and grow ourselves around Griffin, Bargs and what we receive for Bosh.
basketball royalty
RealGM

Post#14 » by basketball royalty » Thu May 7, 2009 4:55 pm

Brinbe wrote:Ideally, I'd trade out... It's not that Griffin isn't a good player (and he could well be a great player) but we have Bosh+Bargs occupying our 4+5 spots and until we're assured that Bosh is out, that's how it should remain. But I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to deal CB and grow ourselves around Griffin, Bargs and what we receive for Bosh.

Well, thats the whole point. If you can get Griffen with the Bosh situation up in the air you have to deal Bosh.
Jouissance
Junior

Post#15 » by Jouissance » Thu May 7, 2009 4:57 pm

basketball royalty wrote:
Brinbe wrote:Ideally, I'd trade out... It's not that Griffin isn't a good player (and he could well be a great player) but we have Bosh+Bargs occupying our 4+5 spots and until we're assured that Bosh is out, that's how it should remain. But I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to deal CB and grow ourselves around Griffin, Bargs and what we receive for Bosh.

Well, thats the whole point. If you can get Griffen with the Bosh situation up in the air you have to deal Bosh.

True, but the Bosh situation may become a lot less "up in the air" if you deal Griffin for a legit SG and re-sign Marion. Seriously, Jose/Quality SG/Marion/Bosh/Bargs is a lineup that is ready to compete in the ECF (and lose to the Lebrons) immediately.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,505

Post#16 » by Brinbe » Thu May 7, 2009 5:00 pm

Well I did say ideally because I'd rather keep the known commodity. But do we force Bosh out and avoid the contract mess altogether or does it depend on what he decides?
timdunkit
RealGM

Post#17 » by timdunkit » Thu May 7, 2009 5:07 pm

Jouissance wrote:

True, but the Bosh situation may become a lot less "up in the air" if you deal Griffin for a legit SG and re-sign Marion. Seriously, Jose/Quality SG/Marion/Bosh/Bargs is a lineup that is ready to compete in the ECF (and lose to the Lebrons) immediately.

Jose at 9 mill, Marion at 8 mill, Quality SG at 9-10 mill, Bosh at 18-19 mill, Barg at 10 mill .... money wise, Griffen looks better ...
basketball royalty
RealGM

Post#18 » by basketball royalty » Thu May 7, 2009 5:11 pm

Brinbe wrote:

Well I did say ideally because I'd rather keep the known commodity. But do we force Bosh out and avoid the contract mess altogether or does it depend on what he decides?

If Bosh signs the extension then we keep him, outside of that I wouldn't risk trading away the no brainer 1st pick.
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#19 » by Mascot » Thu May 7, 2009 5:11 pm

Bosh's Salary will start at 16.8 million for the 2010 season if he opts out and the cap stays at 56 million.
timdunkit
RealGM

Post#20 » by timdunkit » Thu May 7, 2009 5:13 pm

Mascot wrote:Bosh's Salary will start at 16.8 million for the 2010 season if he opts out and the cap stays at 56 million.

If its a max, I believe it must start at 105% or so, meaning his first year will be at 17.9 mill ...

Return to Toronto Raptors