ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Blake Griffin

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Jouissance
Junior
And1: 9

Re: Draft Countdown: Blake Griffin 

Post#21 » by Jouissance » Thu May 7, 2009 5:16 pm

timdunkit wrote:Jose at 9 mill, Marion at 8 mill, Quality SG at 9-10 mill, Bosh at 18-19 mill, Barg at 10 mill .... money wise, Griffen looks better ...

I agree, and I think it is a valid argument. However, I think that you have to jump at the chance to win now when you get a gift like this. Plus, trading the pick for a quality SG also means that at least one of Banks/Kapono is unloaded (to make the salaries match)...I guess I could go either way, but Oden has made me a little more skeptical about 'can't miss' big men.
elitehunter99
Veteran

Post#22 » by elitehunter99 » Thu May 7, 2009 5:19 pm

Jouissance wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:
Brinbe wrote:Ideally, I'd trade out... It's not that Griffin isn't a good player (and he could well be a great player) but we have Bosh+Bargs occupying our 4+5 spots and until we're assured that Bosh is out, that's how it should remain. But I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to deal CB and grow ourselves around Griffin, Bargs and what we receive for Bosh.

Well, thats the whole point. If you can get Griffen with the Bosh situation up in the air you have to deal Bosh.

True, but the Bosh situation may become a lot less "up in the air" if you deal Griffin for a legit SG and re-sign Marion. Seriously, Jose/Quality SG/Marion/Bosh/Bargs is a lineup that is ready to compete in the ECF (and lose to the Lebrons) immediately.

We would need some sort of Lebron stopper at the 3, a guy who will shut down Lebron......... Don't know how the Celtics did it last year...
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 976

Post#23 » by Mascot » Thu May 7, 2009 5:20 pm

timdunkit wrote:
Mascot wrote:Bosh's Salary will start at 16.8 million for the 2010 season if he opts out and the cap stays at 56 million.

If its a max, I believe it must start at 105% or so, meaning his first year will be at 17.9 mill ...

the max he can be paid is 30% of the cap for 7 years experience

$56,000,0000 x .3 = $16,800,0000
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 586

Post#24 » by timdunkit » Thu May 7, 2009 5:22 pm

Jouissance wrote:
timdunkit wrote:Jose at 9 mill, Marion at 8 mill, Quality SG at 9-10 mill, Bosh at 18-19 mill, Barg at 10 mill .... money wise, Griffen looks better ...

I agree, and I think it is a valid argument. However, I think that you have to jump at the chance to win now when you get a gift like this. Plus, trading the pick for a quality SG also means that at least one of Banks/Kapono is unloaded (to make the salaries match)...I guess I could go either way, but Oden has made me a little more skeptical about 'can't miss' big men.

That is a fair argument considering BC is a GM who really doesn't like to rebuild but maybe MLSE could pressure him into it. Rebuilding would allow them to lower there spending on players and give a proper reason why. If Bosh can snatch Rubio, MLSE would still be able to make money considering the buzz around the team and how bright its future looks ...
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 586

Post#25 » by timdunkit » Thu May 7, 2009 5:23 pm

elitehunter99 wrote:We would need some sort of Lebron stopper at the 3, a guy who will shut down Lebron......... Don't know how the Celtics did it last year...

The Celtics had two guys (posey/Pierce) who could switch and guard Lebron. It took terrific help defense and the idea was simple ... nothing inside the paint, it was either take a jumpshot or go to the free throw line ...
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,323

Post#26 » by brownbobcat » Thu May 7, 2009 5:30 pm

timdunkit wrote:If its a max, I believe it must start at 105% or so, meaning his first year will be at 17.9 mill ...

Mascot wrote:the max he can be paid is 30% of the cap for 7 years experience
$56,000,0000 x .3 = $16,800,0000

You're both sorta, but not completely right.

In Bosh's case, his max salary is the greater of:

A) $11 million: (CBA figure)
B) $16.8 million: (30% of a $56 million cap)
C) $16.6 million: (105% of his 09/10 salary)

If the cap goes below ~$55 million, then Bosh's salary would be option C
bballCT
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#27 » by bballCT » Thu May 7, 2009 5:38 pm

Question - I haven't followed College ball this year and I only watched Griffin a couple of times:

what would you say is the main difference between him and what Kenyon Martin was in College?

Reason I ask is that from what I read, they seem to have the same main strength/weakness (athleticism, poor offensive repertoire) and Martin seemed a better defensive player then. And in hindsight, many would think that he wasn't all that at no.1 in relation to other drafts?
Follow Twitter for basketball cards news: @bballct
Jouissance
Junior

Post#28 » by Jouissance » Thu May 7, 2009 5:43 pm

Thinking a bit more about it (and back to the original question), if we got the pick I would look to trade it and some contracts for Joe Johnson, and then look to extend one or both of Bosh and JJ. I honestly think that Calderon, Johnson, Marion, Bosh, and Bargs + MLE puts us in a position to compete for the top of the East. You take a chance that neither JJ nor Bosh will extend, but you get a legit shot at a title (JJ is the PERFECT SG for this team: a tenacious defender who can create for himself, is clutch, and can bury the open J).
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,347

Post#29 » by Shaazzam » Thu May 7, 2009 5:44 pm

I'd be trying to find out which way the winds are blowing in regards to RFA in the next CBA. If Griffen remains subject to this CBA, you own effectively own his rights for what, six years?

I keep Bosh, AB and Griffen as my three bigs.

I pay CB4 alot and ask him to change the focus of his roll a bit to get him to worry more about defence and rebounding. I issue the challenge that I want him to get 11 and 2/game next season.

I deal with Delfino as my two guard. I resign AP as the backup PG. I resign Marion as the 3. I throw a wack of cash at someone who can guard the 2/3(close to full MLE) and run their lanes. Come 2010 I extend AB and look at using my expirings(Krapwno, Hump, Banks, UKic) to either S&T for someone(inlikely), or to cash in at the trade deadline on either a guy who got over paid that summer and hates where he is(like Baron this year.)

*** If a player is repeated on the depth chart his approx salary is listed in the first instance ***
Jose/AP = $11.5M
Delfino/MLE = $9.5M
Marion/MLE = $8M
Bosh/Griffen = $25M
AB/Griffen = $11M

Damn luxury tax.... that projects to be about a $70-75M dollar team with the rest of the flotsam on the roster and before grabbing another teams salary dump. :(
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Shaazzam » Thu May 7, 2009 5:46 pm

As for the JJ hype, and I can't believe I'm being negative here, but how are going to get him by trading a PF in return?

That's pretty much the last thing ATL needs... although they sure do like them.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Gruel
Senior
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Gruel » Thu May 7, 2009 5:51 pm

Trade Griffin for someone like Mayo/Green and their pick.
Both teams need frontcourt help and we get a swing with upside.
Plus we'd still have room to add someone like Harden

Calderon
Harden
Green
Bosh
Bargnani

..."HELLO!"
Jouissance
Junior

Post#32 » by Jouissance » Thu May 7, 2009 5:52 pm

Shaazzam wrote:As for the JJ hype, and I can't believe I'm being negative here, but how are going to get him by trading a PF in return?

Well, since we are talking about the pick and not Griffen per se, there are lots of double-moves available. For example, ATL might take the pick and trade it to whoever is picking at #2 in exchange for that pick and a SF. From what I understand, they are in a similar situation with JJ as we are with Bosh, so they might go for the sure thing (as we probably should, unless something crazy like winning the lottery happens).
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Shaazzam » Thu May 7, 2009 5:54 pm

Jouissance wrote:
Shaazzam wrote:As for the JJ hype, and I can't believe I'm being negative here, but how are going to get him by trading a PF in return?

Well, since we are talking about the pick and not Griffen per se, there are lots of double-moves available. For example, ATL might take the pick and trade it to whoever is picking at #2 in exchange for that pick and a SF. From what I understand, they are in a similar situation with JJ as we are with Bosh, so they might go for the sure thing (as we probably should, unless something crazy like winning the lottery happens).

I'm an easy sell on this one, thanks for the response! 8-)
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,618

Post#34 » by Ackshun » Thu May 7, 2009 5:58 pm

I really hope we get a top 3 pick.

hopefully the Itallian Maf....i mean Toronto Raptors work their magic
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,578

Post#35 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 7, 2009 6:09 pm

Well I'd trade down to #2, mostly because I think Rubio's better. :D Then do the Bosh/Beasley deal, taking the BPA available for him and worry about winning later. Draft Henderson. Vamoom
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#36 » by Pchu » Thu May 7, 2009 6:12 pm

If we do get him, they guy you would trade is Bosh. While Bosh is by far our best player, he is also the guy that can fetch you the most in a trade market. I doubt you can get as much with Bargnani. This basically setups a similar situation like Utah (Boozer/Okur vs Griffin/Bargnani). Obviously, you can trade Bosh for a scoring wing, draft picks or add some depth to your team. When Durant was drafted, the Sonics/Thunder decides to rebuild and start from scratch. While this is not really the case, it will give this team a jolt and some hope for the future.
Jouissance
Junior

Post#37 » by Jouissance » Thu May 7, 2009 6:16 pm

Pchu wrote:If we do get him, they guy you would trade is Bosh. While Bosh is by far our best player, he is also the guy that can fetch you the most in a trade market. I doubt you can get as much with Bargnani. This basically setups a similar situation like Utah (Boozer/Okur vs Griffin/Bargnani). Obviously, you can trade Bosh for a scoring wing, draft picks or add some depth to your team. When Durant was drafted, the Sonics/Thunder decides to rebuild and start from scratch. While this is not really the case, it will give this team a jolt and some hope for the future.

I actually think that with Bosh's contract situation and with the CBA up in the air, you may very well be able to get more for the #1 pick than Bosh. We've already discussed how Bosh's situation excludes teams like OKC from going after him; I don't think that there is any team in the league who couldn't use a #1 pick.
Yoshi2kx
Senior
And1: 5

Post#38 » by Yoshi2kx » Thu May 7, 2009 6:42 pm

trading Green and the 4th pick for Griffin would be like taking a step forward and two steps backwards, no? :roll:
Jouissance
Junior

Post#39 » by Jouissance » Thu May 7, 2009 6:56 pm

Yoshi2kx wrote:trading Green and the 4th pick for Griffin would be like taking a step forward and two steps backwards, no? :roll:

Well, I am not sure that I agree...but in any case, the point isn't that the OKC trade is the best, but rather that trading the pick opens the possibility to trade with any team, whereas trading Bosh limits our trade partners to teams that either (a) are confident that they can retain him in 2010, or (b) have a legitimate shot at winning a title next year.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#40 » by _venom_ » Thu May 7, 2009 7:03 pm

If OKC would go for Griffin for Green/pick then I'd certainly consider it. Say it's the 4th pick, then I'd desperately try to trade up to number 2 using that pick and Calderon...

Rubio
Whoever
Green
Bosh
Bargnani

Looks good to me...

Return to Toronto Raptors