ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Blake Griffin

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Re: Draft Countdown: Blake Griffin 

Post#41 » by J-Roc » Thu May 7, 2009 7:23 pm

I seriously don't think BC would trade Bosh or Bargnani if he got the #1 pick. Maybe, maybe he'd trade the pick for some talent to put elsewhere on the roster. But he wouldn't trade Bosh and try and convince Raptor fans that Blake Griffin is a legit replacement.

If teams don't want to roll up on the trade offers, then perhaps BC takes Griffin to play backup for a year while Bosh decides what he's doing.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#42 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 7, 2009 7:37 pm

I honestly think BC would trade down and take Rubio. Itd be like the Rose situation again. Our Euro thing is equivalent to Rose being from Chicago and he would be a top notch fit. I get the feeling the Raptors brass would SALIVATE over whipping out Rubio + Bargnani for the next decade. Its like a dream come true for them.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 424

Post#43 » by cdel00 » Thu May 7, 2009 8:08 pm

I'd would not be surprised to see Griffin go #2.

Rubio seems like the type of player to have a greater impact than Griffin.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 586

Post#44 » by timdunkit » Thu May 7, 2009 8:12 pm

J-Roc wrote:I seriously don't think BC would trade Bosh or Bargnani if he got the #1 pick. Maybe, maybe he'd trade the pick for some talent to put elsewhere on the roster. But he wouldn't trade Bosh and try and convince Raptor fans that Blake Griffin is a legit replacement.

If teams don't want to roll up on the trade offers, then perhaps BC takes Griffin to play backup for a year while Bosh decides what he's doing.

Talent cost money ... Convincing us that Griffen is a legit replacement wouldn't be hard, especially if you can get a good return for Bosh (somewhere alongs the line of an all-star wing or potentially one or the #2 pick/Rubio) ....
bballCT
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#45 » by bballCT » Thu May 7, 2009 8:30 pm

cdel00 wrote:I'd would not be surprised to see Griffin go #2.

Rubio seems like the type of player to have a greater impact than Griffin.

I'm with you on that one. Skilled PG's are much tougher to find then offensively challenged PFs.
Follow Twitter for basketball cards news: @bballct
J-Roc
RealGM

Post#46 » by J-Roc » Thu May 7, 2009 8:36 pm

timdunkit wrote:
J-Roc wrote:I seriously don't think BC would trade Bosh or Bargnani if he got the #1 pick. Maybe, maybe he'd trade the pick for some talent to put elsewhere on the roster. But he wouldn't trade Bosh and try and convince Raptor fans that Blake Griffin is a legit replacement.

Talent cost money ... Convincing us that Griffen is a legit replacement wouldn't be hard, especially if you can get a good return for Bosh (somewhere alongs the line of an all-star wing or potentially one or the #2 pick/Rubio) ....

I'm talking about the #1 pick + Banks + Kapono.

I know it wouldn't be hard to convince fans on RealGM that this could be a solid move for the future. But for average Raps fan, it's not an easy sell. Bosh is the face of the franchise, around Canada. The only way BC trades Bosh is if Bosh initiates the process by demanding a trade. That's the reality of being the GM in Toronto, Canada.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 586

Post#47 » by timdunkit » Thu May 7, 2009 8:42 pm

J-Roc wrote:
timdunkit wrote:

I know it wouldn't be hard to convince fans on RealGM that this could be a solid move for the future. But for average Raps fan, it's not an easy sell. Bosh is the face of the franchise, around Canada. The only way BC trades Bosh is if Bosh initiates the process by demanding a trade. That's the reality of being the GM in Toronto, Canada.

Bosh is the face of the franchise but personally, I don't feel they market Bosh to the extent that Cleveland or Miami markets there star, we tend to market the "raptors" more ... If we can nab the top 2 picks in the draft, i doubt people will lose interest and though the casual fan might not know Rubio yet :wink: , he will definately be a hit here in a few months or so ...
j3yuen
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#48 » by j3yuen » Thu May 7, 2009 8:43 pm

i would trade down...
bosh is a proven talent, but we have no guarantee that griffin will even be as good as bosh
if we get griffin, i think the best plan of action would be to trade down

we swap picks and insist they take on our dead weight in the form of marcus banks and/or kapono
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#49 » by supersub15 » Thu May 7, 2009 8:44 pm

Banks and Kapono expire the year after next. The situation is not as dire as it seems.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#50 » by GameTime_3 » Thu May 7, 2009 8:44 pm

As i posted in another tread...If you guys want Griffen for Bosh, why not Beasley? I think Beasley is the better prospect and it showed when they went up, head to head. Beasley did alot more his freshmen year, yet people forget about that. This was a soft year in college and Blake got all the credit for it. You guys could get solid prospects and players for Bosh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxwlkye9sI
PHANTOMPHOENIX
Head Coach
And1: 1,074

Post#51 » by PHANTOMPHOENIX » Thu May 7, 2009 8:47 pm

_venom_ wrote:If OKC would go for Griffin for Green/pick then I'd certainly consider it. Say it's the 4th pick, then I'd desperately try to trade up to number 2 using that pick and Calderon...

Rubio
Whoever
Green
Bosh
Bargnani

Looks good to me...

I have been wondering how far Oklahoma would go to get Griffin. They have their own pick, Green (who I think is a better 3 than a 4), and the ability to absorb a contract at their disposal.

They can make a deal with Washington by swallowing some salary and swapping picks but it would take more sweetener than that to get Griffin....at least I would think so
J-Roc
RealGM

Post#52 » by J-Roc » Thu May 7, 2009 8:47 pm

GameTime_3 wrote:As i posted in another tread...If you guys want Griffen for Bosh, why not Beasley? I think Beasley is the better prospect and it showed when they went up, head to head. Beasley did alot more his freshmen year, yet people forget about that. This was a soft year in college and Blake got all the credit for it. You guys could get solid prospects and players for Bosh.

You can't compare college ball.

And the situation is clear. We already know what to expect out of Beasley in the NBA and it's not that impressive. Not to say it can't get better, but there's nothing there now. With Griffin or Rubio or any other pick, at least we can dream.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#53 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 7, 2009 8:51 pm

J-Roc wrote:
timdunkit wrote:

Normally I'd agree, but Colangelo is like the king of dealing core players and big names. He didn't hestiate to trade Barkley, Thunder Dan, Kidd, Finley, Nash, Marbury, Cassell, Ceballos, Penny, Johnson, JO, TJ, Charlie, etc. If there's anybody who isn't afraid of the fans reaction to dealing a fan favorite, it's him. But he also seems to use these big name trades to drum excitement and press for the team in the summer to sell tickets. Which is why one of my biggest fears is that BC will trade Bosh not for young talent and rebuilding pieces, but mid career players who are great and win now, like Hamilton and Prince types or something. Granted I wouldn't hate that deal, but anyways.
George Muresan
Junior
And1: 17

Post#54 » by George Muresan » Thu May 7, 2009 9:50 pm

Hypothetically, I would hope that Washington does not get first overall or we may have more trouble in the East wrt playoff position. They will have an extremely strong roster with Gilbert Arenas, Andray Blatche, Caron Butler, Blake Griffin, Deshawn Stephenson, Javaris Crittenton, Juan Dixon, Jamison, Deshawn and Dominic McGuire. :o
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#55 » by GameTime_3 » Thu May 7, 2009 9:58 pm

J-Roc wrote:
GameTime_3 wrote:As i posted in another tread...If you guys want Griffen for Bosh, why not Beasley? I think Beasley is the better prospect and it showed when they went up, head to head. Beasley did alot more his freshmen year, yet people forget about that. This was a soft year in college and Blake got all the credit for it. You guys could get solid prospects and players for Bosh.

And the situation is clear. We already know what to expect out of Beasley in the NBA and it's not that impressive. Not to say it can't get better, but there's nothing there now. With Griffin or Rubio or any other pick, at least we can dream.

I cant argue with that. Most years, people say " I wont trade the first pick" and i say, why? But its for the simple fact that people like to dream of "What if"..
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,564

Post#56 » by s e n s i » Thu May 7, 2009 10:04 pm

Of course I'd love a talent like Griffin or Rubio, don't get me wrong, but I have some odd feeling that if we stay at 9, the player we draft will benefit the team more as a whole and in the long run.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#57 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 7, 2009 10:06 pm

J-Roc wrote:

Beasley put up 20/8 per 36 this year and had very similar offensive stats to rookie Melo and Durant. Both his per 36 stats and his PER were better than Rose, Mayo, Westbrook, Gordon, etc. Basically everyone but Lopez (who he was level with) and Love. Bosh for comparison put up 12/8 per 36 in his rookie year. Beasley is absolutely on track from where he was a year ago, he's only getting crapped on because he got less minutes than Rose and Mayo

I'm not buying the Griffin hype. The biggest vibe I'm getting from him is Kmart without defense. Which is still a solid player, just not THE HYPE. I guess he could be Boozer if his midrange game picks up
imgrindin247
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#58 » by imgrindin247 » Thu May 7, 2009 10:25 pm

Griffin is not a better prospect coming out of college than Beasley. People are only down on Beasley because he didn't come right in and average 20 and 10 like many expected. The thing is he probably would have put those #'s up if he had gotten the minutes on a garbage team like Gordon, Mayo and Westbrook did. Those players benefited from their situation and put up big #'s on a crap team. If he had done that, everybody would be singing his praises and people would think it's crazy to trade him even for Bosh.

It's tough to say how Griffin's game translates to the NBA. He won't have his size and strength advantage that he does in college. I think how well he does will be determined by who he plays with. He is not a guy you can give the ball to and expect to just dominate. He is a terrific finisher, but not much of a shot creator. Right now, his shooting is bad and it's something he will need to work on as I don't think he's going to be able to just dunk everything like he did in college.
J-Roc
RealGM

Post#59 » by J-Roc » Thu May 7, 2009 10:32 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:
Beasley put up 20/8 per 36 this year and had very similar offensive stats to rookie Melo and Durant. Both his per 36 stats and his PER were better than Rose, Mayo, Westbrook, Gordon, etc. Basically everyone but Lopez (who he was level with) and Love. Bosh for comparison put up 12/8 per 36 in his rookie year. Beasley is absolutely on track from where he was a year ago, he's only getting crapped on because he got less minutes than Rose and Mayo

I'm not buying the Griffin hype. The biggest vibe I'm getting from him is Kmart without defense. Which is still a solid player, just not THE HYPE. I guess he could be Boozer if his midrange game picks up

His offensive numbers are great. But his D left a lot to be desired. Again, I won't write anyone off. But just looking at him, I think he'll take a couple of years before he figures out the importance of D. He's a young guy looking to put up stats.
D-Wins-RingsIMO
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: TORONTO ... where worst DRtg in the league happens!

Post#60 » by D-Wins-RingsIMO » Fri May 8, 2009 3:36 am

IF we were so lucky to land the #1 pick we basically do an insta-rebuild.

Bosh is traded that summer for a package of players and extra draft picks. We use the 2nd draft pick to shore up the backup PG spot if an experienced college guy like Lawson or Maynor is on the board.

Griffin puts up 17/9 and wins ROY even though his defense is suspect. By the time his 2nd year is over he's going to be a perenial 20/10 man with a lot of room for growth (he'll be wasting 2-3 ppg just off bad FT% early on).

It would solve our depth and salary structure problems overnight. Basically we replace Bosh's production at 1/4 the cost, which we can more than apply to other players to make up for having a young frontcourt.

Return to Toronto Raptors