ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Blake Griffin

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

D-Wins-RingsIMO
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: TORONTO ... where worst DRtg in the league happens!

Re: Draft Countdown: Blake Griffin 

Post#61 » by D-Wins-RingsIMO » Fri May 8, 2009 3:38 am

cdel00 wrote:I'd would not be surprised to see Griffin go #2.

Rubio seems like the type of player to have a greater impact than Griffin.

lol how much money you want to put up?
ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Post#62 » by ZeriousLy » Fri May 8, 2009 3:42 am

A PF with no finesse game = fail. That's way I am sure Greg Monroe would be a better NBA prospect than Blake Griffin.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#63 » by LittleOzzy » Fri May 8, 2009 1:40 pm

No way this guy falls out of the top three.

I don't think the Raptors have a chance at him, and I'm ok with that.
Assassin_1
Banned User
Location: Running up in your spot faster than CJ from San Andreas

Post#64 » by Assassin_1 » Fri May 8, 2009 2:23 pm

Bosh for Rubio be a good trade or Bosh for Jeff Green and their pick.
Bargnani
Griffin
Marion/Green
DeRozan
Calderon
elitehunter99
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#65 » by elitehunter99 » Fri May 8, 2009 5:09 pm

Now that I think about it, Griffin might not have enough size to be a serious impact player in the NBA, like Bosh...He could be a better version of Jason Maxiell, undersized athletic, power player who has alot of athleticism, huge wingspan (which Griffin doesn't have), but doesn't have enough size to be a defensive presense or a low post threat like Dwight Howard.......

So, if we get #1 + Kapono, trade it to the Clippers for #3 + Al Thornton
OR
trade it to the Thunder for #4 + Jeff Green....

Bargnani/Bosh/Green/Derozan/Calderon
The Notic
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: it's a bird. it's a plane. NO! it's Lois Lane givin me brain.

Post#66 » by The Notic » Fri May 8, 2009 5:10 pm

ZeriousLy wrote:A PF with no finesse game = fail. That's way I am sure Greg Monroe would be a better NBA prospect than Blake Griffin.

SMH.
MacDaddy
RealGM
And1: 428

Post#67 » by MacDaddy » Fri May 8, 2009 6:12 pm

ZeriousLy wrote:A PF with no finesse game = fail. That's way I am sure Greg Monroe would be a better NBA prospect than Blake Griffin.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA!! You must be the GM of Team Suck!!

I love Greg Monroe but no, no, no and no.
ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Post#68 » by ZeriousLy » Fri May 8, 2009 6:55 pm

MacDaddy wrote:

Name me a good PF in the league that does not have a finesse game.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#69 » by _venom_ » Fri May 8, 2009 8:08 pm

ZeriousLy wrote:
MacDaddy wrote:

Why can't Griffin develop a finesse game? He has good form on his jumper and if he puts in the work he can become a reliable midrange jumpshooter. What finesse skills did Amare Stoudemire have as a rookie? All he did was dunk on people. Griffin is a better ball handler than Stoudemire was coming out too so Griffin has an edge there. You're looking at Griffin like he's a finished product which he is clearly not. In College he didn't need to develop a finesse game because he just manhandled people inside. At the next level, he'll have to add to his offensive game and considering he has a great work ethic, that shouldn't be a problem.
RapsGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#70 » by RapsGM » Fri May 8, 2009 10:18 pm

You trade the unproven number 1 pick and keep your two quality big men. With that trade you net a really good SG and a top 5 pick.
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#71 » by Hassassin » Fri May 8, 2009 10:28 pm

ZeriousLy wrote:
MacDaddy wrote:

s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,566

Post#72 » by s e n s i » Fri May 8, 2009 10:36 pm

HA! wrote:
ZeriousLy wrote:
MacDaddy wrote:

That is very debatable.

Al Jeff has some of the best footwork and the softest touch among big men in the game. I think that qualifies under finesse. He just so happens to be built like a tank. The combination of those finesse qualities and his size is what makes him so tough to guard.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#73 » by RockTHECasbah » Fri May 8, 2009 10:42 pm

Only SGs worth him are Kobe (don't really want him), Wade, Roy and Mayo
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
D-Wins-RingsIMO
Banned User
Location: TORONTO ... where worst DRtg in the league happens!

Post#74 » by D-Wins-RingsIMO » Fri May 8, 2009 10:56 pm

RockTHECasbah wrote:Only SGs worth him are Kobe (don't really want him), Wade, Roy and Mayo

:o
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#75 » by Hassassin » Fri May 8, 2009 11:18 pm

chocolateSensi wrote:
That is very debatable.

Al Jeff has some of the best footwork and the softest touch among big men in the game. I think that qualifies under finesse. He just so happens to be built like a tank. The combination of those finesse qualities and his size is what makes him so tough to guard.

Really depends on what you define as finesse though. Eddy Curry has a soft touch but I doubt that anyone defines his game as finesse. It doesn't make a difference whether Al Jefferson is built like a tank or not. He operates strictly in the low post and always has. ZeriousLy was referring to the new age face-up big man that can play in the high post (ex Bargnani, Bosh, Dirk, etc).
Blazer_2458
Bench Warmer
And1: 45

Post#76 » by Blazer_2458 » Fri May 8, 2009 11:25 pm

elitehunter99 wrote:Now that I think about it, Griffin might not have enough size to be a serious impact player in the NBA, like Bosh...He could be a better version of Jason Maxiell, undersized athletic, power player who has alot of athleticism, huge wingspan (which Griffin doesn't have), but doesn't have enough size to be a defensive presense or a low post threat like Dwight Howard.......

So, if we get #1 + Kapono, trade it to the Clippers for #3 + Al Thornton
OR
trade it to the Thunder for #4 + Jeff Green....

Bargnani/Bosh/Green/Derozan/Calderon

I respect your opinion and generally agree but compairing Griffin to Maxiell (Im one of his biggest fans) is a bit much. Griffin is as tall as Bosh and already weights 20 pounds more. He's no Dwight but he's going to be a very effective player in the league. And I garantee that he will be posting 17ppg 10rpg by his third year if not second. Now there's an argument to be made that 17-10 is more valuable than 22-5 which is the projected output of our past first overall pick for next season...
chsh22
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#77 » by chsh22 » Fri May 8, 2009 11:26 pm

If we get Griffin, IMO we trade him or Bargnani, but don't keep both. I think Bosh is a proven, consistent 4 and is the better player of the two, while Bargnani has definitely made strides I just don't think he's going to pan out to be the post presence we need.

On top of that, I think Griffin's game complements Bargnani and Bosh probably equally.

I suppose there's an argument to be made about Bosh's seeming lack of passing ability compared to Bargnani, and how that might play out if it's Bargs/Griffin vs Bosh/Griffin, but ultimately I think that Bosh is just the better player of the two, especially since our team is already perimeter oriented.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:If you were going to give the raps board an enema, you'd stick the tube in this thread.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,820

Post#78 » by Raps in 4 » Fri May 8, 2009 11:28 pm

chsh22 wrote:If we get Griffin, IMO we trade him or Bargnani, but don't keep both. I think Bosh is a proven, consistent 4 and is the better player of the two, while Bargnani has definitely made strides I just don't think he's going to pan out to be the post presence we need.

On top of that, I think Griffin's game complements Bargnani and Bosh probably equally.

I suppose there's an argument to be made about Bosh's seeming lack of passing ability compared to Bargnani, and how that might play out if it's Bargs/Griffin vs Bosh/Griffin, but ultimately I think that Bosh is just the better player of the two, especially since our team is already perimeter oriented.

I can see Griffin being better than Bosh. Bosh/Griffin just wouldn't work.
The Notic
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: it's a bird. it's a plane. NO! it's Lois Lane givin me brain.

Post#79 » by The Notic » Fri May 8, 2009 11:30 pm

how is al jeff not a finesse player? he gets to the line at a terrible clip for a star big, doesn't overpower or overathleticism (new word i just made up) people and is arguably the most crafty big man in the nba with regards to getting his shot off.

impeccable footwork, inability to draw/finish with contact, quick release to negate shotblockers. al jeff is the textbook definition of a finesse player.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,566

Post#80 » by s e n s i » Fri May 8, 2009 11:41 pm

HA! wrote:
chocolateSensi wrote:
That is very debatable.

Really depends on what you define as finesse though. Eddy Curry has a soft touch but I doubt that anyone defines his game as finesse. It doesn't make a difference whether Al Jefferson is built like a tank or not. He operates strictly in the low post and always has. ZeriousLy was referring to the new age face-up big man that can play in the high post (ex Bargnani, Bosh, Dirk, etc).

I think it actually depends on what you define as game. I'm thinking game in the general sense, where as I believe you're referring to it as specifics.

He has finesse in his game, but in no way am I saying his game is exclusive to that style. But it's also not exclusive to quintessential strength either. That's what I'm getting at. He has both a finesse game and a power game.

And of course it makes a difference that he's built like a tank. If he wasn't then he wouldn't be operating strictly in the low-post.

I thought Zeriously asked that question in the context which implied Blake Griffin does not have any finesse IN his game whatsoever. Which is closer to being true than false. Al Jefferson on the other hand, does in fact have finesse in his game. I'd actually say that his game is more rounded on the finesse side than it is the atheticism/power side. The soft-touch and excellent footwork have something to do with that. Griffin has neither, or any other form of finesse capabilities in his game.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).

Return to Toronto Raptors