ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Hasheem Thabeet

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Re: Draft Countdown: Hasheem Thabeet 

Post#41 » by J Dilla » Sat May 9, 2009 9:34 am

I could see his comparison somewhere between Kevin Willis and David Robinson-lite. He's a pure bigman, and a very old skool one at that. He would be a terrific system player IMO, and would be the perfect fit beside Timmy D or Al Jefferson.

I mean the tools are there, its entirely up to him and how much he's willing to work to be a good center for the future. If Raptors want a center, I hope this is who they get.
Spartan13
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#42 » by Spartan13 » Sat May 9, 2009 10:36 pm

What would we do if we got the 4th pick, and 1,2,3 went griffin, Rubio, Harden? i say trade it...someones gotta want Jordan HIll more then we will, and make an offer worth our while, maybe something that includes a later pick. So i don't think theres a scenerio in which we draft Thabeet.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,741

Post#43 » by Fairview4Life » Sat May 9, 2009 10:48 pm

Spartan13 wrote:What would we do if we got the 4th pick, and 1,2,3 went griffin, Rubio, Harden? i say trade it...someones gotta want Jordan HIll more then we will, and make an offer worth our while, maybe something that includes a later pick. So i don't think theres a scenerio in which we draft Thabeet.

The Raps can't get the 4th pick. The lottery is for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks only. The Raps can end up at 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, or 12.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#44 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 9, 2009 10:51 pm

There are very few 7'2+ guys as fast as Thabeet. Big Z, Yao, Big Z are all very slow. If he can stand his ground and not get pushed around Hasheem will be a beast
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#45 » by JYD » Sat May 9, 2009 10:55 pm

I would not take him if we had the 3rd pick, and I'm glad we're not in a likely position to even be making calls on players like Thabeet and Hill.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,319

Post#46 » by brownbobcat » Mon May 11, 2009 12:29 pm

trick wrote:I'll be shocked if Thabeet doesn't go #3. Just as shocked as Darko being picked over Carmelo, or an Atlanta team chock-full of SF's and heavily depleted on PG depth picking another SF prospect over two can-contribute-right-away PG prospects.

Ditto. It'd be extremely hard for any NBA team to pass on his size considering nobody else really stands out at #3.
The Notic
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: it's a bird. it's a plane. NO! it's Lois Lane givin me brain.

Post#47 » by The Notic » Mon May 11, 2009 12:39 pm

i hope okc picks him. they've already smashed the record of drafting project C's in the first round over the last 5 years or so.
Dennis P
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#48 » by Dennis P » Mon May 11, 2009 3:57 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I have a hard time believing he'll be the 3rd best player from this draft class. NBA players love dunking, and I think the general commitment to defense in the NBA is less than what he would've experienced in college, so I feel he'll be hung out to dry on numerous occasions early on in his career. If he can make it past the first few seasons without a major injury or loss of confidence, then I think he can be an impact player. The problem is, the higher he goes the worse off he'll be.

Think Dikembe Mutombo. That guy altered so many games because of his presence inside. If you see the value of Dikembe you will understand why Thabeet is a potential top three selection. He makes a difference at the defensive end.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#49 » by Alfred » Mon May 11, 2009 4:07 pm

The Notic wrote:i hope okc picks him. they've already smashed the record of drafting project C's in the first round over the last 5 years or so.

There's actually a very good chance that they would draft him with the #3 pick.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#50 » by supersub15 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:40 pm

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,158

Post#51 » by tecumseh18 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:50 pm

supersub15 wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=PreDraftTour-090514

Put him in a bad situation with a coach who's an obsessive faultfinder, and he could fail. Put him in a good situation with a coach and teammates who give him reason to believe, and maybe those Mutombo comparisons aren't as far off as I once believed.

Hmm. Bosh obviously responded positively to Smitch's tough love approach, and I supposed Calderon did too. Different strokes.

As for Thabeet, I think you can't draft a big man high unless there is some tangible evidence that he's got the on-court mental toughness to dominate. Bargs in Italy played well in some big games, and his caliper test apparently indicated that he did have that drive. Thabeet ... we'll see.
Contract Season
General Manager
And1: 31

Post#52 » by Contract Season » Fri May 15, 2009 3:56 pm

This guy is not Mutumbo, not even close. But he'll be better than Diop, who went 8th or 9th.
Third is a reach for him, 5-8 seems like where he should be picked in a normal draft.
But I wouldn't expect miracles from him.
Just a steady, defensive centre who will be a lane intimidator and useless on offence.
A bigger Varejao with more shot-blocking and less rebounding.
the Raps could use him, of course, but have much bigger needs, imo.
neurotik
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,864

Thabeet could fall far in draft in not selected in top 3 

Post#53 » by neurotik » Tue Jun 2, 2009 4:58 pm

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12825

Steve's Weekly Update: With Blake Griffin all but gifted wrapped for the Clippers and with the Grizzlies' liking selling the #2 overall pick to the team that covets Ricky Rubio the most, the Oklahoma City Thunder could find themselves with a number of attractive options at #3 and really the lynch pin team of the 2009 Draft.

Reports that the Thunder were considering James Harden with the #3 selection, are not necessarily false, however the Thunder's interest is not as substantial as some would have you believe.

Sources close to the situation list Rubio, Jrue Holiday and Jordan Hill among the Thunder's top prospects. Hasheem Thabeet however does not seem to be on the Thunder's radar at all meaning he could slide pretty significantly if Memphis does not grab him at #2.

The Kings would pass on the 7'3 shot blocker at #4 according to team sources, leaving him on the table for the Wizards at #5, should the Wizards pass or sell their pick as league sources are suggesting. Thabeet could fall pretty far as #6 Minnesota has a stacked front court, #7 Golden State has a ton of money tied into Andris Biedrins, #8 - New York might look, but does the "no-offense" Thabeet fill a need? #9 Toronto might look, but they want toughness with that pick and Thabeet may not fit the bill.

If the Grizzlies sell their pick and The Thunder play from their list, it could be a long night for Hasheem Thabeet, unless someone trades up to grab him.

I think that If teams arent that impessed with him at workouts or become enamoured with other players, that this could very well happen. if he fell to the 9 spot and harden. evens, and derozan were gone, would you want Thabeet?

he could provide a true center if Bosh was to be traded this summer, and Andrea could be moved to the 4 spot.

Personally, if holiday is still on the board I would take him, otherwise I would probably draft Thabeet and look to buy a second pick to nab a wing
(1 of 10)
ayo_23
Veteran
And1: 164

Re: Thabeet could fall far in draft in not selected in top 3 

Post#54 » by ayo_23 » Tue Jun 2, 2009 5:03 pm

I'm hoping he'll change but for now he's a big softie that doesn't like contact and gets destroyed by very undersized (but strong) bigs.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#55 » by basketball royalty » Tue Jun 2, 2009 5:16 pm

Players will usually be drafted in a BPA basis, so I would think he will be drafted early but then traded to the team that really wants him, much like Rubio.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#56 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jun 2, 2009 5:20 pm

If we were drafting 3rd,
I would have to weigh the pros and cons of taking Hasheem Thabeet with that pick.

If he drops to us at 9, for me there is nothing to think about.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#57 » by Alfred » Tue Jun 2, 2009 5:21 pm

I think it would be difficult to pass on a guy with as much potential as Thabeet. He apparently has a very good motor and drive to improve. He will probably be a bit of a project though.
DarkKnight
Analyst
And1: 672

Post#58 » by DarkKnight » Tue Jun 2, 2009 5:23 pm

PASS. Slow, no offense, blocks shots with his height and doesn't do much more.
"JJ is a fineness player." - knickerbocker2k2 (meaning to say "finesse", about James Johnson)
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#59 » by Gold Chain » Tue Jun 2, 2009 5:28 pm

No.

Some one else can gamble on Thabeet, we need a 2 or a 3.
STA 13
Lead Assistant
And1: 361

Post#60 » by STA 13 » Tue Jun 2, 2009 5:28 pm

A Thabeet/Bosh frontcourt could be very good. Would be an interesting pick

Return to Toronto Raptors