ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Jordan Hill

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Draft Countdown: Jordan Hill 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Sat May 9, 2009 12:12 pm

Jordan Hill
Power Forward (Rank: #5) | 6-9, 235 | Age: 21
Arizona (Junior)

Positives:
•Long, athletic forward
•Excellent quickness for a big man
•Explosive leaping ability
•Good frame to add strength
•Excellent motor, hard worker
•Good rebounder, above-average shot-blocker.

Negatives:
•Needs to add strength
•Still very raw offensively
•Needs to add moves in the low post
•Basketball IQ is low

Main College Stats:

Code: Select all

TS%   Blk%   ORB%   DRB%
0.560  5.6   15.4   22.1

Topics of discussion:
- If we have the #3 pick, do you take him as BPA?
- Thoughts on his skills
- We have too many PFs, ...
etc.
itbobby007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,827

Re: Draft Countdown: Jordan Hill 

Post#2 » by itbobby007 » Sat May 9, 2009 1:10 pm

"If" he is the BPA at the #3 spot you take him, regardless of the mini-glut we have at that position.

The best case scenario would be another team in the lotto that needs a PF and likes J. Hill. Hopefully they are willing to trade up to take him and we pick up an asset in the process.

Example:

* TOR is at 3
* OKC is at 4
* Thabo Sefolosha + 4th pick for the 3rd pick + Humphries

Then we draft Harden/Jennings/Derozen/Thabeet or whomever.

Potential Lineup:

Calderon/Ukic/Banks
Sefolosha/Harden
Marion/Delfino/Kapono
Bosh/Pops/
Bargs/Rasho/O'Bryant

OR

* TOR is at 3
* MEM is at 6
* Marco Jaric + 6th pick for the 3rd pick + Banks + Humphries

Then we draft B.Jennings

Calderon/Jennings/Ukic
Delfino/Jaric
Marion/Kapono
Bosh/Pops/
Bargs/Rasho/O'Bryant

Personally, I'd rather not draft him and use the 3rd pick on Harden or Rubio if he drops a spot.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#3 » by 5DOM » Sat May 9, 2009 1:34 pm

People say his stock is so high only because he's the only good PF in this draft not named Blake Griffin.
I don't think we'll draft him with the 3rd pick.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#4 » by Pchu » Sat May 9, 2009 2:45 pm

I am not that high on HIll. To me he is an energy player without a polish inside/outside game. I mean, he is undersized, athletic and lots of energy. To me, he is better coming off the bench.
chsh22
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#5 » by chsh22 » Sat May 9, 2009 3:12 pm

If we draft him, that will make what, 8 consecutive drafts where our first first-rounder goes to a guy who plays PF? There's a point to be made about why our wings got this bad in the first place, and how not drafting for need got us where we are I think.

IMO if we wind up with him on the board, he will be overlooked because we have defined team needs, and Hill doesn't fit any of them.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:If you were going to give the raps board an enema, you'd stick the tube in this thread.
Dennis P
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Dennis P » Sat May 9, 2009 3:16 pm

chsh22 wrote:If we draft him, that will make what, 8 consecutive drafts where our first first-rounder goes to a guy who plays PF? There's a point to be made about why our wings got this bad in the first place, and how not drafting for need got us where we are I think.

IMO if we wind up with him on the board, he will be overlooked because we have defined team needs, and Hill doesn't fit any of them.

We were drafting to get stronger that was our biggest weakness over the years, toughness. But ya its time to start looking at the other holes in the lineup.
Pchu
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Pchu » Sat May 9, 2009 4:41 pm

He is tough, I will give him that. But when I think of a NBA comp, I can't think of one right away. The guy that come closest to Hill is Turiaf. Similar energy player, hustle, tough as nail attitude. But do you really want to pick an energy player at #3?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,528

Post#8 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 9, 2009 5:56 pm

I think Harden is better than Hill. The only reason he's at 3 is because bigs are more valuable than SGs.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,774

Post#9 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sat May 9, 2009 6:05 pm

There's like hardly any bigs in this draft, who can play both PF and C--he may be the only one. To me, that's the only reason why he's this high on mock drafts. I don't think he's a great prospect, in terms of potential, but he could step in right away and contribute IMO.
just23
Rookie

Post#10 » by just23 » Sat May 9, 2009 8:08 pm

Of all the players slated to go in the top 10, I think this guy may have the highest bust potential. He's athletic enough to have a career in the league, but he will probably be more of a good reserve forward than a great starter. Not what you want from a top 5 pick in any draft.
He is a projected top 5 pick only as a result of the total lack of talent among the big men in this years draft. After Griffin the next best big is Thabeet, who is lets face it, far from being the next Mutombo.
Also, stats don't mean everything, but when you consider that according to draftexpress.com his numbers are right about average, you can't seriously say this guy should be a starter on a decent team. Next year not would not be in the top 5. Not a chance.

Luckily, we don't need another mediocre big man on this team, so we won't be the ones stuck with this very likely disappointment. In a year full of wing players, we're lucky to have needs at the shotting guard and backup point guard spot.

Jordan Hill....pass thank you.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#11 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 9, 2009 9:46 pm

Dumbest ranking in this draft. He should be more like 14 in a regular draft. Being generous. IMO it's one of those Morrison picks where everybody knows he's going to fail but he still goes horribly high anyways.
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 909

Post#12 » by anj » Sat May 9, 2009 9:46 pm

Big time pass on Hill. His ceiling, at best, is Chris Wilcox.

I'd still take Harden at 3 - and that's over Hill AND Thabeet (another bust-to-be).

Man this draft is weak...
Pchu
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Pchu » Sat May 9, 2009 10:35 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Dumbest ranking in this draft. He should be more like 14 in a regular draft. Being generous. IMO it's one of those Morrison picks where everybody knows he's going to fail but he still goes horribly high anyways.

Hill is not that bad. I just don't see star potential. He will be a rotation player, if he improve somewhat, he can be a starter in the league.

Morrison will be out of the league very soon, but Hill should be around for a long time. If he can add some low post moves then he is decent. He can do more on both ends, while Morrison is extremely one dimensional.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#14 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 9, 2009 10:52 pm

Oh I know, he won't be as bad as Morrison. I fully expect a energy bench guy at least. But I think he'll go down as a bust if that happens
just23
Rookie

Post#15 » by just23 » Sat May 9, 2009 11:06 pm

anj wrote:Big time pass on Hill. His ceiling, at best, is Chris Wilcox.

I'd still take Harden at 3 - and that's over Hill AND Thabeet (another bust-to-be).

Man this draft is weak...

I don't think this draft is as terrible as we usually say. It's an average draft, but not a terrible one.
The problem is that with a shortage of big men many front court players are going to go higher than they should.
The talent in this draft is at the point guard and shooting guard spots not power forward and centre.
This works out well for us, especially with a couple very good role players falling to us, when thy are more talented than someone like Hill being drafted 5th overall.
The guys I'm referring to are T-Will first and foremost, who will be a great role player and if he played with a star point guard he could be a lot like Marion but with better court vision. Also, Henderson, Lawson, and possibly Curry if he can adjust to the physical nature of the NBA.
There is talent here, it's just not at positions many teams need. Rather, it's where we need it, so to me that makes it a pretty damn decent draft.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#16 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 9, 2009 11:10 pm

Exactly, the rough spots in this draft are in the undeveloped athleticism picks because people are so fasted on "upside", everyone is looking for a superstar all the time. That's why Thabeet, Hill, Derozan are getting so much hype. There's plenty of talent and good players though
The Chucker
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#17 » by The Chucker » Sat May 9, 2009 11:30 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Exactly, the rough spots in this draft are in the undeveloped athleticism picks because people are so fasted on "upside", everyone is looking for a superstar all the time. That's why Thabeet, Hill, Derozan are getting so much hype. There's plenty of talent and good players though

People are fastened on upside in this draft because their are many stuff you can't teach a young gun as opposed to a junior or senior :wink:... Thabeet is the only C who can be heck of a defensive stud also he's 7'3" and you can't teach players that. DeRozan can be thought once he eneters the league sinc he's fresh and Hill is going to be a role player at bet./
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#18 » by SpaceJam » Sun May 10, 2009 3:30 am

Reminds me of of a Joakim Noah type player. Cant see him as a top 5 pick, and because of what most of you all have said, he will be one of those players in the draft to drop to the 10-15 picks. It's too bad, because usually these guys drop to teams that can use them in a better way then the teams with the earlier picks could do.
_________
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#19 » by supersub15 » Sun May 24, 2009 11:53 am

Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#20 » by Southward1 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:49 pm

He'd be great if he fell into that 15-20 for the raps, but there's no chance of that. Way too much athleticism for him to fall out of the top 10 or so. He's a good player and unlike Wilcox who never took to heart defense and polishing up his offensive game, Hill is looking to improve and wants to be a good defender. This kid knows he has things to improve, will he be a 20/10 player? No, but he could easily develop into a starter in a Nene type of role. Low-post threat with hard dunks and solid defense because of his length. He's be great behind Bosh and Bargs, but teams will roll the dice with him higher

Return to Toronto Raptors