ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: James Harden

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Draft Countdown: James Harden 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:21 pm

James Harden
Shooting Guard (Rank: #4) | 6-4, 215 | Age: 19
Arizona State (Sophomore)

Positives:
•Can flat-out score
•Possesses a killer jumper with deep range
•Crafty player who knows how to get to basket
•Good NBA body, long arms and strength
•High basketball IQ

Negatives:
•Undersized for position
•Not an explosive athlete
•Lacks lateral quickness
•Not particularly gifted as a ball handler or defender
•So-so midrange game

Main College Stats:

Code: Select all

TS%   Ast%   TOV%   DRB%
0.607 29.2   18.9   14.8

Topics of discussion:
- Is he your SG of choice in the draft? (he's mine!!)
- Closest NBA player comparison
- Will he solidify our SG rotation with Delfino and Parker?
- etc.
Freeway
Pro Prospect
And1: 229

Re: Draft Countdown: James Harden 

Post#2 » by Freeway » Sun May 10, 2009 12:41 pm

I see alot of Paul Pierce in Harden. His body shape (baby fat/chubbyness) The crafty ways he gets at the hoop all remind me of Paul. I remember when we was coming out of kansas every one said he was was not athletic enough or a good defender. But he turned out to pretty athletic and a good defender or above average to say the least.

I am not really worried about James height so much if he is a legitment 6-4

If by some miracle he falls to use i would sure hpe we take him. He will make a good future 2 guard beside our bigs
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,836

Post#3 » by Live Free » Sun May 10, 2009 12:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64rKHfSwww

his craft kind of reminds me of paul pierce, hes not quick or really explosive yet gets anywhere he wants to in the paint with his crossovers and gets his shot off anywhere

he can get to the paint by will and cause foul trouble because hes a great finisher inside

his game would really compliment Chris's

Assuming we're picking 9th this is the person we should target in the draft, whether we move up or make a draft day deal.

Get Er' Done BC 8-)
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 909

Post#4 » by anj » Sun May 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Harden really is the third-best prospect in this draft.

His height shouldn't be an issue because of his long arms and thickness. He might get beat off the dribble a bit too much, but there are only a single handful of players that can guard NBA twos with their quickness - if Harden gets the concept of positioning on D, his strength should temper his lack of quickness.

And as stated so many times before, he is a Paul Pierce TYPE of scorer. He can get to the basket, hit a mid-range J, knock down a three - he's also an excellent passer - everything you want in a two-guard. If the Raps have the chance to draft him, they flat-out have to.
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

Post#5 » by rapsrealm » Sun May 10, 2009 1:10 pm

Definitely the best 2-guard in the draft. Unlike the prospects before him where people are like we should draft player x and trade someone from our current roster (Bosh/Calderon) I think Harden can come in and a rotation of Harden/Parker/Delfino would be quite decent.
Kid Canada
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#6 » by Kid Canada » Sun May 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Draftexpress and nbadraft.net have him at 6'5? He looks taller than 6'4.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#7 » by Sid the Squid » Sun May 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Harden flopped when the lights came on...I liked him as a top4 pick before that..Now I'm not so sure.. I'd pick DeRozan over him..Maybe Evans too..
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#8 » by Avenger » Sun May 10, 2009 2:04 pm

easily the best SG and third best prospect in the draft
chsh22
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#9 » by chsh22 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:08 pm

Sid the Squid wrote:Harden flopped when the lights came on...I liked him as a top4 pick before that..Now I'm not so sure.. I'd pick DeRozan over him..Maybe Evans too..

He choked a few times in the season before the tournament too. I'm not totally sold on him, but then again, we don't necessarily need that go-to last minute scorer, we just need an offensive threat that Bosh or Bargnani can get the ball to.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:If you were going to give the raps board an enema, you'd stick the tube in this thread.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,528

Post#10 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Sid the Squid wrote:Harden flopped when the lights came on...I liked him as a top4 pick before that..Now I'm not so sure.. I'd pick DeRozan over him..Maybe Evans too..

Bosh chokes all the time too, big deal.
Gruel
Senior
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Gruel » Sun May 10, 2009 2:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKO7ssrBLkU

Pretty athletic there. I think he's underrated in tha regard.
diggity_88
Junior
And1: 0

Post#12 » by diggity_88 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Freeway wrote:I see alot of Paul Pierce in Harden. His body shape (baby fat/chubbyness) The crafty ways he gets at the hoop all remind me of Paul. I remember when we was coming out of kansas every one said he was was not athletic enough or a good defender. But he turned out to pretty athletic and a good defender or above average to say the least.

I am not really worried about James height so much if he is a legitment 6-4

If by some miracle he falls to use i would sure hpe we take him. He will make a good future 2 guard beside our bigs

Ya, I see alot of Pierce in him. The only difference between both of there games, that sets Pierce to the next level, is his post game.. which I think is the best in the NBA for a 2/3 guard, him and Carmelo.
If Harden could get that mid range, post up game... look out.

But, i'd say he's a mixture between Paul Pierce and John Salmons. Mix a poor mans Pierce and Salmons together, and you get James Harden.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,962

Post#13 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun May 10, 2009 3:21 pm

He's the best prospect at the 2, and the best overall fit for the Raptors in this draft. He's the only player I'd consider trading up for, although I think we're pretty much tapped out in terms of tradeable assets, so I guess I can only hope he slides.
RJ2392
Veteran
And1: 8

Post#14 » by RJ2392 » Sun May 10, 2009 3:35 pm

basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#15 » by basketball royalty » Sun May 10, 2009 3:38 pm

I can see the Pierce comparisons except that Pierce is probably a good 2" taller with better wingspan. I wouldn't put him at the 3 unless we are going small ball for a short span, but he is a legit 2 and can handle the ball and get to the line which is a must for us. Also, he is young but seems mature beyond his years in that he plays smart and lets the game come to him, I think it kind of hurt him in the tourny but overall it is a good attribute to have.

He tops my list but I doubt we can grab him outside of a trade or winning a top 3 pick in the lottery.
props to Turbozone for the sig
ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Post#16 » by ZeriousLy » Sun May 10, 2009 3:39 pm

He's not undersized, I'd say he's 6'5 and thats solid for an SG. Also, IMO he has very good handles, which enables him to get to the paint easily.

I agree with some people in this thread that his athleticism is underrated because he's a really unselfish player and once he gets into the paint he usually passes the ball to his teammate instead of trying to finish it.

I would compare him to a John Salmons without the defense, yet.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#17 » by Rhettmatic » Sun May 10, 2009 3:43 pm

I'd love to nab Harden.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#18 » by Undefeated » Sun May 10, 2009 3:51 pm

His stock will drop even more during the combine seeing as scouts won’t be impressed with his athleticism compare to DeRozan, Evans and Jennings add that with his poor performance during the NCAA tournament.

Hopefully, if he falls down to the Raptors (9th) then he’ll be steal of the draft.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#19 » by basketball royalty » Sun May 10, 2009 3:52 pm

Undefeated wrote:His stock will drop even more during the combine seeing as scouts won’t be impressed with his athleticism compare to DeRozan, Evans and Jennings add that with his poor performance during the NCAA tournament.

Hopefully, if he falls down to the Raptors (9th) then he’ll be steal of the draft.

Pierce fell to 10th, so it is possible.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,528

Post#20 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 10, 2009 4:09 pm

basketball royalty wrote:
Undefeated wrote:His stock will drop even more during the combine seeing as scouts won’t be impressed with his athleticism compare to DeRozan, Evans and Jennings add that with his poor performance during the NCAA tournament.

Pierce fell to 10th, so it is possible.

I don't know who was in Pierce's draft class, but it was probably a lot deeper than this years. I'd say there's no chance he drops to us.

Return to Toronto Raptors