ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Tyreke Evans

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Re: Draft Countdown: Tyreke Evans 

Post#21 » by 5DOM » Mon May 11, 2009 4:54 pm

I WANT TYREKE
I WANT TYREKE
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#22 » by Anatomize » Mon May 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Dennis P wrote:
HighOctane wrote:If he's fading now, imagine the Vince Carter effect on his jumper.

Honestly, I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen. He can slash, but his handling and finishing look mediocre. Sure he can dominate the level of ball he is playing now, but I don't think it would translate to the NBA well at all.

That's where I am I don't think his game is NBA ready no jumper and limited handles make it hard to get to the rim a the NBA level.

You clearly haven't watched him play, limited handles?
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#23 » by Anatomize » Mon May 11, 2009 5:00 pm

One of the big differences between him and Crawford is that he's actually a willing defender, and he has a very long wingspan unlike other guards which allows him to use his hands actively for contesting shots, on ball defense, and intercepting passing lanes.

This is the type of player who with some tutelage from the Raps players, can turn into a very good player who will penetrate and set up other guys. Having him can also alleviate pressure off Calderon, we haven't had that secondary ball handler like most other teams do at the SG or SF spot.
A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Post#24 » by A_wildstabatanything » Mon May 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Dennis P wrote:
HighOctane wrote:If he's fading now, imagine the Vince Carter effect on his jumper.

Honestly, I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen. He can slash, but his handling and finishing look mediocre. Sure he can dominate the level of ball he is playing now, but I don't think it would translate to the NBA well at all.

That's where I am I don't think his game is NBA ready no jumper and limited handles make it hard to get to the rim a the NBA level.

:lol:

If you think his handles are weak then I'd hate to hear what you think of Henderson, Derozan, TWill, and even Harden's ability to put the ball on the floor.
just23
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#25 » by just23 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:10 pm

If we take Tyreke I wouldn't mind. He's a bit of a hog, but he also has that
aggressive I want the ball mentality. No other guard here does.
I don't think we've ever had a shooting guard with handles and his ain't bad.
Not sure how he'd fit alongside Calderon in the backcourt. This guy is more of
a Gilbert Arenas type lead guard than a pure shooting guard. Point guard is the
position he's played since high-school and he was much better at Memphis once
they moved him to the point.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#26 » by Anatomize » Mon May 11, 2009 5:17 pm

just23 wrote:If we take Tyreke I wouldn't mind. He's a bit of a hog, but he also has that
aggressive I want the ball mentality. No other guard here does.
I don't think we've ever had a shooting guard with handles and his ain't bad.
Not sure how he'd fit alongside Calderon in the backcourt. This guy is more of
a Gilbert Arenas type lead guard than a pure shooting guard. Point guard is the
position he's played since high-school and he was much better at Memphis once
they moved him to the point.

Calderon's ability to catch and shoot should bode well with a player who can create for others.

Calderon isn't able to beat people off the dribble, which is when the Raps go back to the stagnant pick & roll offense. Jason Kapono is one guy who hasn't benefited because of Jose's inability to break people down (unlike Wade).

With all our shooters, the best thing we can do is get one of the only players in this draft who can actually beat people off the dribble, score, go to the line, and set up other people.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#27 » by Anatomize » Mon May 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#28 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Tyreke is on track to be one of those best player on a 25 win team guys. He needs to dominate the ball except he's not good enough for it to work. He'll get his 18-20ppg with a crappy efficiency and killing the flow of the offense, but hey, he'll be the "franchise".

If you like Rudy Gay and Al Thornton, you'll like Tyreke. If you're like me and think Joey Graham is more valuable than those two players, then join me by saying NO THANK YOU.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#29 » by Anatomize » Mon May 11, 2009 6:18 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Tyreke is on track to be one of those best player on a 25 win team guys. He needs to dominate the ball except he's not good enough for it to work. He'll get his 18-20ppg with a crappy efficiency and killing the flow of the offense, but hey, he'll be the "franchise".

If you like Rudy Gay and Al Thornton, you'll like Tyreke. If you're like me and think Joey Graham is more valuable than those two players, then join me by saying NO THANK YOU.

With Delfino/AP most likely coming back, we're going to need a solid PG (project) behind Calderon.

It's been quite a few years since we've had a wing/pg which is able to break people down off the dribble, attack the rim, initiate contact, and also set up other players. I think having such a wing/pg is a deadly combination with all of our shooters.

Tyreke can also defend both the SG/PG spots.

Lastly, Rudy Gay and Al Thornton are black holes when it comes to passing, Evans is a very creative passer.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,839

Post#30 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon May 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Having a lead guard that doesn't look to defer to guys like Jake Voshkul or Pops Mensah Bonsu isn't a bad thing.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Post#31 » by A_wildstabatanything » Mon May 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:0

I'm not a fan of Rudy Gay's... haven't seen much of Thornton.

That bolded sentence is f'n crazy though. Put those 3 players on the trade market right now and let's see what they fetch.

Just because you draft Tyreke doesn't mean you're stuck with him forever. First and foremost he's a potential asset. Give him a couple of seasons and he might fit in fine. You can always trade him if you feel the stats are inflated. Other GMs tend to looked past that when these guys are still playing on a rookie contract.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#32 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 11, 2009 6:37 pm

A_wildstabatanything wrote:

That bolded sentence is f'n crazy though. Put those 3 players on the trade market right now and let's see what they fetch.

Just because you draft Tyreke doesn't mean you're stuck with him forever. First and foremost he's a potential asset. Give him a couple of seasons and he might fit in fine. You can always trade him if you feel the stats are inflated. Other GMs tend to looked past that when these guys are still playing on a rookie contract.

More valuable in terms of winning on the court, I meant. It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep Tyreke for a year, watch him lead the rookies in scoring with 15ppg+, and then deal him while his value is high. But let's be honest, by that time Raptor nation would be all omgz superstar and wouldn't want to give him up so I'm guessing it wouldn't happen. Memphis still puts high value in Gay and it's been 3 years
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#33 » by Anatomize » Mon May 11, 2009 6:43 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:
A_wildstabatanything wrote:

More valuable in terms of winning on the court, I meant. It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep Tyreke for a year, watch him lead the rookies in scoring with 15ppg+, and then deal him while his value is high. But let's be honest, by that time Raptor nation would be all omgz superstar and wouldn't want to give him up so I'm guessing it wouldn't happen. Memphis still puts high value in Gay and it's been 3 years

So let me get this straight, you would dislike the guy for scoring 15+ ppg as a rookie?

if he's scoring 15 ppg next to Jose, Bosh, and Bargnani, I'll be pretty damn happy if you ask me.

Whether or not we win more games if we draft him is left to be seen, that is all pure speculation.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,995

Post#34 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon May 11, 2009 6:43 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Tyreke is on track to be one of those best player on a 25 win team guys. He needs to dominate the ball except he's not good enough for it to work. He'll get his 18-20ppg with a crappy efficiency and killing the flow of the offense, but hey, he'll be the "franchise".

I don't see how Tyreke should be considered a good #'s on a bad team kind of guy. He lead Memphis (that lost 3 starters to the NBA) to a top 10 ranked team. And after they put him at point guard they didn't lose a game until the 3rd round of the tournament, so where do you get the idea that he's set to be a career loser?
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#35 » by Anatomize » Mon May 11, 2009 6:44 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:

I don't see how Tyreke should be considered a good #'s on a bad team kind of guy. He lead Memphis (that lost 3 starters to the NBA) to a top 10 ranked team. And after they put him at point guard they didn't lose a game until the 3rd round of the tournament, so where do you get the idea that he's set to be a career loser?

He probably watched the vids and saw him dribbling around which reminded him of Crawford, but they are not alike.

Evans isn't a chucker, and he's a much better defender.
Grizzled
Starter
And1: 0

Post#36 » by Grizzled » Mon May 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Character is going to be a big question with this guy.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... index.html

I’m sure we’ll be looking into his possible gang connections quite closely, and if we don’t like what we see I suspect we’ll take him off our draft list entirely. There are quite a few options for us in that 9-15 range and they’re all pretty close in value, so we don’t need to gamble on a guy like Evans if it looks like he’s got some serious off court issues.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#37 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 11, 2009 7:07 pm

At Memphis they moved him to PG because he wasn't effective unless he totally dominated the ball, which is also how he played in high school. It worked ok in that run for Memphis but the NBA is a different story, especially if you're slow and can't shoot like Tyreke. Tyreke has the skill of a 2nd or 3rd option type but needs to take the touches of a 1st to do anything. He'll do best on a bad team where he can get the ball all day and do whatever he wants (like the situation Devin Harris has in NJ). Whether or not he's a selfish player by character or just because that's his game, he certainly plays like it. I definitely don't have confidence in his attitude/character
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,995

Post#38 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon May 11, 2009 7:18 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:At Memphis they moved him to PG because he wasn't effective unless he totally dominated the ball, which is also how he played in high school. It worked ok in that run for Memphis but the NBA is a different story, especially if you're slow and can't shoot like Tyreke. Tyreke has the skill of a 2nd or 3rd option type but needs to take the touches of a 1st to do anything. He'll do best on a bad team where he can get the ball all day and do whatever he wants (like the situation Devin Harris has in NJ). Whether or not he's a selfish player by character or just because that's his game, he certainly plays like it. I definitely don't have confidence in his attitude/character

Give some examples of his attitude that's a cause for concern.

Also, how is he slow? I've never heard that. For a 6'5 guy to regularly blow by point guards you usually have to have some quickness.

Also, shooting %45 doesn't mean you can't shoot, especially for a first option-freshman. You know who else shot %45 this year? The dude in your avatar.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,839

Post#39 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon May 11, 2009 7:20 pm

That's a fair assessment and my main fear about him as a prospect. I'm sure Jose wouldn't mind deferring to him and reigning him in when he gets out of control, the main question is would Tyreke be willing to give it up when he is making bad decisions on the court. I'd still take a chance on him though.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
elitehunter99
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#40 » by elitehunter99 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:That's a fair assessment and my main fear about him as a prospect. I'm sure Jose wouldn't mind deferring to him and reigning him in when he gets out of control, the main question is would Tyreke be willing to give it up when he is making bad decisions on the court. I'd still take a chance on him though.

Since he doesn't have a reliable outside shot, Evans logically shouldn't be a chucker like Crawford, who always looks to shoot first..... I'm not too worried about him not being a team player.. At Memphis he knew he would have to carry the team, so he rarely looked for teammates to create offense.... The only red flags to me are:

Outside shot
Speed/Quickness - does Evans have enough to break down defenses in the NBA???
Strength

Return to Toronto Raptors