ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Tyreke Evans

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Dennis P
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Draft Countdown: Tyreke Evans 

Post#61 » by Dennis P » Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 pm

sh00n wrote:
Dennis P wrote:
Cassius wrote:Joe Johnson had a pretty weak jumper when he got drafted.

I don't see how that is valuable info..

Is a 3-Time All-Star and 20, 4 and 4 averages over the last 4 seasons valuable enough info? Not to mention JJ has turned into one of the most dominant perimeter players in the league today?

...... you .... are starting to make little to no sense with the two repsonses you've made recently...

What does Joe Johnson have to do with Evans?
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#62 » by sh00n » Mon May 11, 2009 10:49 pm

Dennis P wrote:...... you .... are starting to make little to no sense with the two repsonses you've made recently...

....... well .... seeing as Joe Johnson had little to no jumper when he was drafted, and that statement was made and you asked how that was valuable........... it's because some people can improve their ................ jumpshooting...
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#63 » by Dennis P » Mon May 11, 2009 10:52 pm

sh00n wrote:
Dennis P wrote:...... you .... are starting to make little to no sense with the two repsonses you've made recently...

....... well .... seeing as Joe Johnson had little to no jumper when he was drafted, and that statement was made and you asked how that was valuable........... it's because some people can improve their ................ jumpshooting...

Okay and some people can block shots if they practice too. The point is you don't draft someone in the hopes that he will somehow miraculously start shooting like Joe Johnson did since they both started the same. different people different circumstances Get it young in?
sh00n
RealGM

Post#64 » by sh00n » Mon May 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Dennis P wrote:Okay and some people can block shots if they practice too. The point is you don't draft someone in the hopes that he will somehow miraculously start shooting like Joe Johnson did since they both started the same. different people different circumstances Get it young in?

So what you're saying is you don't draft on potential. You draft someone like Tyler Hansbrough or T-Will because you know you're going to get a solid role player no matter what. Who cares if Tyreke Evans COULD become a solid 2 guard? Who cares if Demar DeRozan COULD become the next Vince Carter? If Rubio falls to 9th we shouldn't take him, because he only COULD become the next great point guard in the NBA.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#65 » by Dennis P » Mon May 11, 2009 10:59 pm

sh00n wrote:
Dennis P wrote:Okay and some people can block shots if they practice too. The point is you don't draft someone in the hopes that he will somehow miraculously start shooting like Joe Johnson did since they both started the same. different people different circumstances Get it young in?

So what you're saying is you don't draft on potential. You draft someone like Tyler Hansbrough or T-Will because you know you're going to get a solid role player no matter what. Who cares if Tyreke Evans COULD become a solid 2 guard? Who cares if Demar DeRozan COULD become the next Vince Carter? If Rubio falls to 9th we shouldn't take him, because he only COULD become the next great point guard in the NBA.

we're done here you don't have a clue.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#66 » by sh00n » Mon May 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Okay.
The Chucker
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#67 » by The Chucker » Mon May 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Dennis P wrote:
sh00n wrote:

Okay and some people can block shots if they practice too. The point is you don't draft someone in the hopes that he will somehow miraculously start shooting like Joe Johnson did since they both started the same. different people different circumstances Get it young in?

LOL! You're a joker man :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Your point makes no sense at all. Basically, you're telling us to draft a Senior who basically has very little room to improve since they're pretty much lock with their style as opposed to a young gun with upside who has plenty of room where people can teach them. Dwyane Wade was never a good shooter during his college days as opposed to now....

sh00n wrote:

sh00n just PWNED YOU you old geezer.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#68 » by sh00n » Mon May 11, 2009 11:10 pm

TORaptorsFan wrote:sh00n just PWNED YOU you old geezer.

Edit the personal attack out of your post dude, he's not worth getting a warning over.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#69 » by Dennis P » Mon May 11, 2009 11:16 pm

TORaptorsFan wrote:
Dennis P wrote:
sh00n wrote:....... well .... seeing as Joe Johnson had little to no jumper when he was drafted, and that statement was made and you asked how that was valuable........... it's because some people can improve their ................ jumpshooting...

LOL! You're a joker man :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Your point makes no sense at all. Basically, you're telling us to draft a Senior who basically has very little room to improve since they're pretty much lock with their style as opposed to a young gun with upside who has plenty of room where people can teach them. Dwyane Wade was never a good shooter during his college days as opposed to now....

sh00n wrote:

sh00n just PWNED YOU you old geezer.

Now either Sh00n has two accounts or the education system in this country has gone way down. What ever happened to reading comprehension classes? Why do so few of the youth nowadays pick up books and read? is it the budget cutbacks?

It really is a shame... You can learn so much from reading.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#70 » by sh00n » Mon May 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Dennis P wrote:Now either Sh00n has two accounts or the education system in this country has gone way down. What ever happened to reading comprehension classes? Why do so few of the youth nowadays pick up books and read? is it the budget cutbacks?

:lol:

The irony. . .
The Chucker
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#71 » by The Chucker » Mon May 11, 2009 11:29 pm

Dennis P wrote:Now either Sh00n has two accounts or the education system in this country has gone way down. What ever happened to reading comprehension classes? Why do so few of the youth nowadays pick up books and read? is it the budget cutbacks?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I knew you were going to say that...
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#72 » by Dennis P » Mon May 11, 2009 11:31 pm

TORaptorsFan wrote:

what the stuff about our failed education system? ya I guess everyone saw that coming.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#73 » by Anatomize » Tue May 12, 2009 12:27 am

After James Harden, my immediate choice would be Evans, then DeRozan, then Jennings..

I can't see how some people here are so high on DeRozan and then go on to call Evans a 'black hole' and 'selfish', what separates DeRozan from being placed under the same cloud?
RapsGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#74 » by RapsGM » Tue May 12, 2009 12:36 am

I watched a couple of Memphis games this year and he seemed like a decent prospect. He had nice handles, but his shot was terrible. Although I do like his ability to slash.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#75 » by Anatomize » Tue May 12, 2009 12:37 am

Dennis P wrote:
TORaptorsFan wrote:

what the stuff about our failed education system? ya I guess everyone saw that coming.

and Dennis P, you're wrong about your statements regarding shooting.

Blocking is a naturally timed skill, you have to have some instinctive measure when it comes to blocking shots.

Jump shooting is a repetition which can be practiced over and over again, blocking shots is a variable depending on how a play turns out.

A few years ago I only had a mid range jumpshot, I began increasing my range with repetition and practice, and now I regularly shoot NBA 3s. Now after more repetition and practice, I shoot much better off the dribble, and off screens, something I was never able to do consistently before. I went from a catch and shoot player, to being able to take a shot from basically anywhere.

LeBron right now in the playoffs is showing a different form on his jumpshot, it's more compact, and he has a refined release, he's putting more rotation on the ball with a softer flick. This is something that even just last year, LeBron didn't have. If you view some older LeBron vids, you'll notice he puts way too much motion into his body as he starts his release, he no longer does that.

Devin Harris was always criticized for his lack of jump shooting ability, he is now one of the best shooting PGs in the league, which is why he's become such a potent scorer, he doesn't only rely on his drive. Harris has become a very good 3 point shooter, and mid range, he struggled mightily with his jumpshot in his first few years in the league.

Rondo will take that next level as well and improve his jumpshot, he's missing some arc, and good rotation, his mechanics aren't poor. Confidence also plays a big role in his shooting, he's often hesitant to take the shot.

For Evans, a 45% shooting college player; he has great arc and rotation, his mechanics are just poor, he leans back too much and has bad form. Jumpshot is usually something which can be improved the quickest, I don't see why you think not, at least his form and release are not as terrible as Ukic's.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#76 » by Dennis P » Tue May 12, 2009 12:48 am

Anatomize wrote:
Dennis P wrote:
TORaptorsFan wrote:

and Dennis P, you're wrong about your statements regarding shooting.

Blocking is a naturally timed skill, you have to have some instinctive measure when it comes to blocking shots.

Not you too? dude I took shot blocking as an arbitrary stat. Don't tell me you believe that because Joe Johnson had a poor jumper when he entered the NBA that Evans too can become a great jumpshooter? Please tell me you see that there is no logic there? these are two completely different people there is no basis there to draft someone.

"because Joe Johnson was able to work on his jumpshot, we should draft Tyreke Evans. If Joe can do it anyone can!"

you do see how ridiculously stupid that sounds right?
Eating a Book
General Manager
And1: 2,340

Post#77 » by Eating a Book » Tue May 12, 2009 1:04 am

Dennis P wrote:
Not you too? dude I took shot blocking as an arbitrary stat. Don't tell me you believe that because Joe Johnson had a poor jumper when he entered the NBA that Evans too can become a great jumpshooter? Please tell me you see that there is no logic there? these are two completely different people there is no basis there to draft someone.

"because Joe Johnson was able to work on his jumpshot, we should draft Tyreke Evans. If Joe can do it anyone can!"

There is a large sampling of players who have improved their jumpshooting from the time they entered the league to their prime years. Huge. Here is the logic you seem to be so deftly missing and/or avoiding:

Joe Johnson entered the league lacking a good jumper -> Tyreke Evans has a poor jumper -> Many other players have reconstructed their shooting form and drastically improved their jumpshot since the time they entered the league -> Tyreke Evans is a skilled player whose primary negative trait is lack of a jumpshot, a skill which has piles of precedent of being easy-ish to improve -> Tyreke Evans could develop a jumpshot and be a good player.

Whatever chain of logic you are running on is twisted, I think. No one is saying Evans = Johnson = jumpshot will happen!
@terriblejazz
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#78 » by Dennis P » Tue May 12, 2009 1:13 am

Scrapdoomfraud wrote:
Dennis P wrote:

There is a large sampling of players who have improved their jumpshooting from the time they entered the league to their prime years. Huge. Here is the logic you seem to be so deftly missing and/or avoiding:

Joe Johnson entered the league lacking a good jumper -> Tyreke Evans has a poor jumper -> Many other players have reconstructed their shooting form and drastically improved their jumpshot since the time they entered the league -> Tyreke Evans is a skilled player whose primary negative trait is lack of a jumpshot, a skill which has piles of precedent of being easy-ish to improve -> Tyreke Evans could develop a jumpshot and be a good player.

Whatever chain of logic you are running on is twisted, I think. No one is saying Evans = Johnson = jumpshot will happen!

I think that much is more than obvious. I was commenting on an empty post I'm glad its gotten the legs it did though.

Tyreke is a nice player I don't like him at 9
Gruel
Senior

Post#79 » by Gruel » Tue May 12, 2009 1:16 am

So the Thunder shouldn't have drafted Westbrook because he didn't have much of a jumpshot? Jumpshots are improvable... just look at Calderon, Johnson, Ariza, etc.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#80 » by basketball royalty » Tue May 12, 2009 1:58 am

Gruel wrote:So the Thunder shouldn't have drafted Westbrook because he didn't have much of a jumpshot? Jumpshots are improvable... just look at Calderon, Johnson, Ariza, etc.

Rondo still doesn't have a jumpshot and look what he can do. Tyreke will be a good NBA player I just wonder about his coachability.
props to Turbozone for the sig

Return to Toronto Raptors