ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Tyreke Evans

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Re: Draft Countdown: Tyreke Evans 

Post#81 » by J Dilla » Tue May 12, 2009 2:06 am

They said the same about Mayo and his attitude and the guy has been a surprise. I hope its the same for Tyreke.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#82 » by Anatomize » Tue May 12, 2009 2:17 am

DennisP:

Think about it, you're taking a guy who is NOT a horrible jump shooter, just a mediocre one, and labeling him as someone who can't improve in the jump shooting department because YOU seem to think he can't.

We're providing you with MANY players who came into the league with 'suspect' jump shots and are now amongst the best jump shooters in the league. As someone here said, Jose Calderon did NOT have a jump shot in his first year with the Raps, think about how quickly he improved.

I don't think any one is stating Tyreke Evans as being the next Larry Bird when it comes to shooting, we're simply saying that it's not a reason to be sold on not drafting him, he has a lot of intriguing tools which the Raptors can use at the guard spot.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#83 » by Anatomize » Tue May 12, 2009 2:17 am

basketball royalty wrote:
Gruel wrote:So the Thunder shouldn't have drafted Westbrook because he didn't have much of a jumpshot? Jumpshots are improvable... just look at Calderon, Johnson, Ariza, etc.

Rondo still doesn't have a jumpshot and look what he can do. Tyreke will be a good NBA player I just wonder about his coachability.

And that is not to say Rondo won't have a jump shot.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#84 » by OhMyBosh » Tue May 19, 2009 11:04 pm

Anatomize wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:
Gruel wrote:So the Thunder shouldn't have drafted Westbrook because he didn't have much of a jumpshot? Jumpshots are improvable... just look at Calderon, Johnson, Ariza, etc.

Rondo still doesn't have a jumpshot and look what he can do. Tyreke will be a good NBA player I just wonder about his coachability.

And that is not to say Rondo won't have a jump shot.

The thing is, Rondo knows he's a poor shooter. This is why he picks his shots carefully (most of the time), and drives hard to the net whenever he has the chance.

The problem with Tyreke is that he thinks he's got a good jumper. In reality, not only does it look ridiculous, it's also very inconsistent. How can you shoot consistently when you're about to fall down every time anyway?

I'm definitely not sold on Tyreke. He's had a big ego since middle school. Once Dime magazine dubbed him "The Next LeBron", he really took it to heart. If he shows the work ethic of LeBron, than maybe he should be considered. But right now, I don't think he's the wing player we're looking for. At least not yet.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,722

Post#85 » by C_Money » Tue May 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Tyreke Evans is the #1 guy that I want.
Grizzled
Starter
And1: 0

Post#86 » by Grizzled » Tue May 19, 2009 11:18 pm

He’s a high risk, high reward player. We don’t need the upside because we have the star players we need, but we sure don’t want the player we draft to be a bust because he needs to fill an important hole in our line-up, and we want him to contribute sooner than later. I don’t see us taking Evans or DeRozan for these reasons.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#87 » by Pchu » Wed May 20, 2009 4:17 pm

I am trying to sell myself on Evans. I am starting to feel ok if we drafted him.

Expectation in the first year should be tempered: He came out after only one season in college, and I expect him to struggle with his shots and turnovers.
PowerHouse
Junior

Post#88 » by PowerHouse » Wed May 20, 2009 4:37 pm

In college he had trouble at the SG posistion, but exceled in the PG posistion.

if he was on the Raptors would he be our starting SG, or backup PG?
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#89 » by Dennis P » Wed May 20, 2009 5:11 pm

I have to admit I'm warming up to this guy. I like his head.

http://memphis.fandome.com/video/107382 ... s-Special/
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,575

Post#90 » by Brinbe » Wed May 20, 2009 5:36 pm

Dennis P wrote:I have to admit I'm warming up to this guy. I like his head.

Wow, thanks for the link that was a good vid. Now know why he has nice handles. :lol:

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be there at 9, but one can only hope.
LyNx
Veteran
And1: 122

Post#91 » by LyNx » Wed May 20, 2009 5:37 pm

In that video, he speaks just like Derrick Rose. He doesn't really say too much, doesn't seem to have any kind of ego about him off the court, nice enough guy.

Really like this guys skill set for this team.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#92 » by Dennis P » Wed May 20, 2009 5:53 pm

Brinbe wrote:
Dennis P wrote:I have to admit I'm warming up to this guy. I like his head.

Wow, thanks for the link that was a good vid. Now know why he has nice handles. :lol:

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be there at 9, but one can only hope.

I think he has a chance to be there at 9 I can't see the Warriors taking another pg/sg. They need someone at the 3. If the rumors out of NY are accurate they should be taking Curry. There are a bunch of players who can help us but I think if anyone falls to us it will be Derozan or Evans
Zuul
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#93 » by Zuul » Wed May 20, 2009 5:56 pm

Let's look at the Raptor roster skill set.

Shooting: Check
Passsing: Check
Rebounding: (with Marion) Check
Dribble Drive: Big time void.

Tyreke Evans biggest asset is our biggest liability. I have no idea how he will turn out but that is the reason I would take him. I think this is the same reason but in reverse that most people hate the idea of Stephen Curry with the number 9.

It's funny that people always say to take BPA but in the end base their draft infatuations on team needs.
Zuul
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#94 » by Zuul » Wed May 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Let's look at the Raptor roster skill set.

Tyreke Evans biggest asset is our biggest liability. I have no idea how he will turn out but that is the reason I would take him. I think this is the same reason but in reverse that most people hate the idea of Stephen Curry with the number 9.

It's funny that people always say to take BPA but in the end base their draft infatuations on team needs.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#95 » by Dennis P » Wed May 20, 2009 6:08 pm

Zuul wrote:Let's look at the Raptor roster skill set.

You can always use a guy that can shoot the lights out. I think Curry is going to be a solid pro so long as he gets bigger. He is a bit to thin right now to compete night in night out. He looks like a PG and plays like a SG. I would take him at 9 if evans and harden (i just drooled not kidding) are off the board.
mappiah19
Analyst
And1: 1,139

Post#96 » by mappiah19 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Exactly. Plus he will help us in late game situations. BC summed it up best saying: We are going to draft a juxtaposition of talent and need. Tyreke is amazingly talented and he fits the need of a shot creator for the Toronto Raptors.
mappiah19
Analyst

Post#97 » by mappiah19 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:12 pm

Wow what an awesome video. Tyreke's brothers are grown men and that's good. Some of you posters were labelling him badly and that he was surrounded by brothers who are gangsters.

I hope the Raps draft him.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#98 » by Dennis P » Wed May 20, 2009 6:13 pm

mappiah19 wrote:

Exactly. Plus he will help us in late game situations. BC summed it up best saying: We are going to draft a juxtaposition of talent and need. Tyreke is amazingly talented and he fits the need of a shot creator for the Toronto Raptors.

And he can handle the rock. I like him and Curry for that reason they both can play two positions the reason I think Evans is the better pick is his body looks like it will fill out better as he matures. Curry looks too thin but can make shots and find the open man extremely well.
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#99 » by pspot » Wed May 20, 2009 6:23 pm

good video, and great story but there is a bad history of families being to involved in professional athletes careers

I like Evans but I hope Team Evans realizes their goal when they get him to the NBA and thats where it ends for them
nm
mappiah19
Analyst

Post#100 » by mappiah19 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:27 pm

pspot wrote:good video, and great story but there is a bad history of families being to involved in professional athletes careers

I like Evans but I hope Team Evans realizes their goal when they get him to the NBA and thats where it ends for them

I think they will realize it. As stated in the video, his two oldest brothers hold management positions at companies and I think they are mature enough and understand the business aspect of being in the NBA.

In addition, it would be awesome for fellow Philly native Alvin Williams (if he joins the Raptors staff) to mentor Tyreke and communicate with Team Tyreke about the business of the NBA.

Return to Toronto Raptors