ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: DeMar DeRozan

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Draft Countdown: DeMar DeRozan 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:09 am

DeMar DeRozan
Shooting Guard (Rank: #6) | 6-6, 200 | Age: 19
USC (Freshman)

Positives:
•Explosive athlete
•Excellent NBA body
•Long 6-foot-9 wingspan
•Good size at the 2
•Quick
•Great elevation on his jumper
•Fluid
•Big-time finisher at the rim
•Improving rebounder
•Seems to get better every week

Negatives:
•Too passive at times
•Basketball IQ?
•Ballhandling needs work
•Can't go left
•Lacks a great midrange game
•Shaky three point shooter
•Lacks effort on the defensive end

Topics of discussion:
- A shooting guard that can't shoot?
- How long will he take to develop?
- What's his ceiling?
- Best comparison...
etc.
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,836

Re: Draft Countdown: DeMar DeRozan 

Post#2 » by Live Free » Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 am

Don't know how much this is worth but his jumpshot and defense look really impressive in there, there is no ceiling on guys with such explosive atheliticism.. people often point at Gerald Green when they talk about DeRozan but they forget that Gerald was picked straight out of highschool at 18th pick when DeRozan played through a college system which refined his skills and has him projected a top 10 pick in the draft

This is mainly for the people who are blinded by demar's atheltisism, and think that's all he's got. People who say demar can only dunk and can't do anything else, or people who simply have only seen Demar's dunks. Here's what really makes demar a top guard in the nation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1nxZ0wBaEU&feature

If we don't draft Harden this is the guy we definetley should target next
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#3 » by TiKusDom » Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 pm

DeRozan is THE man to get for our team. If hes available at our pick you take him and run. If theres a chance to move up in the draft to get him you do it. This kid will be a stud in the NBA. Period. Hes got the outworldy athleticism with an unlimited ceiling paired with a great attitude and work ethic. There is no guard with this draft with a higher ceiling than DeRozan. If the Raptors get him this season would have been a blessing in disguise I kid you not he will be a star.
bargs
Starter
And1: 11

Post#4 » by bargs » Tue May 12, 2009 12:25 pm

we delivers what we need in terms of athleticism, effort on defense (even if he's far away from being a good defender...), jumpshot from the middle, and work ethic ....it could be a worth pick
Kid Canada
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#5 » by Kid Canada » Tue May 12, 2009 12:43 pm

I would rate the wings in the draft with Harden first, Evans second and Derozen third. I prefer Harden and Evans more because they are a little more versatile and I think they would play some point guard. Evans can for sure and Harden reminds me of Joe Johnson.
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#6 » by Avenger » Tue May 12, 2009 1:00 pm

OVERRATED. Lacks most of the required skills for a guard in the NBA, has no range, no handles, no court vision, no play making skills. People who think he's Vince in the making are completely delusional, he's a shorter thaddeus young, best case scenario.
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#7 » by TiKusDom » Tue May 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Avenger wrote:OVERRATED. Lacks most of the required skills for a guard in the NBA, has no range, no handles, no court vision, no play making skills. People who think he's Vince in the making are completely delusional, he's a shorter thaddeus young, best case scenario.

You dont know what you are talking about. His mid range game this year was solid, not the best but steady . Handles can be learned , hes 19 . Playmaking skills I wouldnt know but he did drop 25 points and was MVP of the PAC 10 tournament while kicking Hardens ass all over the place lets see here.

Game 1 arizona state vs USC - Win

Harden 34mins 0-8 0-2 4-7 3 7 1 1 0 2 2 4ptspts ( yeah a whopping 4 points , man just look a that "skill" )

DeRozan35 8-13 1-1 5-7 4 8 2 3 0 2 4 22pts

Game 2: Arizona state vs USC- Loss

Harden 40 5-6 0-1 3-5 0 5 3 1 1 2 3 13

DeRozan 40 7-14 0-2 2-4 6 10 1 1 0 3 0 16

Game 3 Arizona State - USC- Win = Pac 10 championship game. DeRmar named MVP

Harden : 35 3-9 3-5 1-2 0 4 8 2 0 3 4 10pts

DeRozan 40 10-16 1-3 4-7 2 3 4 1 0 0 1 25pts

So far this"unskilled" player has been kicking Hardens skilled ass all over the place while being named MVP of his Pac-10 conference championship tournament, not Harden. Your lack of insight into this young mans talent is astounding, you are just a hater with no real substance. The proof is in the pudding, in every game DeRozan has outplayed Harden and won when it counted the most. If DeRozan is dominating like this when he is as "unskilled" as you say , then Ill take him and run and develop his skills to really make him into a dominant star.
ZKS_STAL
Rookie
And1: 6

Post#8 » by ZKS_STAL » Tue May 12, 2009 1:15 pm

I already have a nickname for him...

Demar Destar Derozan.
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#9 » by Avenger » Tue May 12, 2009 1:25 pm

TiKusDom wrote:
Avenger wrote:OVERRATED. Lacks most of the required skills for a guard in the NBA, has no range, no handles, no court vision, no play making skills. People who think he's Vince in the making are completely delusional, he's a shorter thaddeus young, best case scenario.

You dont know what you are talking about. His mid range game this year was solid, not the best but steady . Handles can be learned , hes 19 . Playmaking skills I wouldnt know but he did drop 25 points and was MVP of the PAC 10 tournament while kicking Hardens ass all over the place lets see here.

Harden 34mins 0-8 0-2 4-7 3 7 1 1 0 2 2 4ptspts ( yeah a whopping 4 points , man just look a that "skill" )

So far this"unskilled" player has been kicking Hardens skilled ass all over the place while being named MVP of his Pac-10 conference, not Harden. Your lack of insight into this young mans talent is astounding, you are just a hater with no real substance. The proof is in the pudding, in every game DeRozan has outplayed Harden and won when it counted the most. If DeRozan is dominating like this when he is as "unskilled" as you say , then Ill take him and run and develop his skills to really make him into a dominant star.

Dude, do you realize your post did not address a single concern i raised about DeRozan? The best excuse you can come up with is "handles can be learned", are you for real? I don't give a crap about harden or how DeRozan did in a handful of games, they are meaningless. Hell, Joe Alexander had a better tournament run and look how that turned out and what does DeRozan really have on Joe?

Its pointless to argue with the fan boys though, this whole he'll become a superstar thing is delusional talk, he has a long way to become a solid starter, forget star. People like you only help reinforce how overrated he really is. What i said was true, you need to come up with a better argument
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#10 » by TiKusDom » Tue May 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Avenger wrote:Dude, do you realize your post did not address a single concern i raised about DeRozan? The best excuse you can come up with is "handles can be learned", are you for real? I don't give a crap about harden or how DeRozan did in a handful of games, they are meaningless. Hell, Joe Alexander had a better tournament run and look how that turned out and what does DeRozan really have on Joe?

Its pointless to argue with the fan boys though, this whole he'll become a superstar thing is delusional talk, he has a long way to become a solid starter, forget star. People like you only help reinforce how overrated he really is. What i said was true, you need to come up with a better argument

Oh yeah your awesome argument that lacked any real substance sure paved the way. Yeah winning Pac- 10 MVP and outplaying the top ranked SG in the NCAA sure is meaningless. Too bad scouts, GMs, and everyone else in the league pay careful attention to top prospect match ups. To the people who make the decisions these games DO matter. Oh no handles cant be learned right? A 19 year old cant improve his dribbles and jumpshot ? Are you for real or just delusional ?

If you want to compare Alexander to DeRozan , it took Alexander 3 years until he became a junior to become an impact player. DeRozan did it in his freshman season.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#11 » by TheDunc » Tue May 12, 2009 1:28 pm

TiKusDom wrote:

So far this"unskilled" player has been kicking Hardens skilled ass all over the place while being named MVP of his Pac-10 conference championship tournament, not Harden. Your lack of insight into this young mans talent is astounding, you are just a hater with no real substance. The proof is in the pudding, in every game DeRozan has outplayed Harden and won when it counted the most. If DeRozan is dominating like this when he is as "unskilled" as you say , then Ill take him and run and develop his skills to really make him into a dominant star.

lol,why are you comparing derozan to hardens bad mach madness play? its pretty obvious harden played bad. You are seriously dumb if you dont pick harden over derozan though. Why dont you just call yourself demar derozan. Are you his agent or something cause your on his balls 24/7.

What avenger said was accurate. Thats not to say he wont be a good player, who knows but at this point his skill level is very low and you would be ignorant not to admit that. Hes a great athlete but when you play in the ncaa and your a great athlete its alot easier. When hes in the Nba he wont have the athletic edge over everybody which is when skill comes into play and at this point he doesnt have much at all
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#12 » by TiKusDom » Tue May 12, 2009 1:34 pm

PopsMensahBonsu wrote:
lol,why are you comparing derozan to hardens bad mach madness play? its pretty obvious harden played bad. You are seriously dumb if you dont pick harden over derozan though. Why dont you just call yourself demar derozan. Are you his agent or something cause your on his balls 24/7.

What avenger said was accurate. Thats not to say he wont be a good player, who knows but at this point his skill level is very low and you would be ignorant not to admit that. Hes a great athlete but when you play in the ncaa and your a great athlete its alot easier. When hes in the Nba he wont have the athletic edge over everybody which is when skill comes into play and at this point he doesnt have much at all

Whaat? These arent even march madness stats :S these are face to face season match ups. Their teams didnt even meet in the NCAA tournament. Oh yeah but thanks for bringing it up though, Hardens lack luster play in the NCAA tournament didn't earn him any extra points either. You are seriously ignorant of the facts if you didn't even know that these weren't March Madness numbers and that they never met in the NCAA tournament. You sure do know alot about college bball.....
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,962

Post#13 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue May 12, 2009 1:43 pm

I'm most concerned about his ball-handling. He dribbles the ball far in front of him, and generally looks really mechanical. He also lacks some poise with the ball in his hands, like he can't wait to get rid of it. That might just be a confidence issue. He definitely looked better in his last 5 games or so. A lot of it was him asserting himself and taking those wide open jumpers that he was previously passing up.

I just don't see him ever being a classic 2 at the NBA level.

That being said, he runs really well. He looks like a sprinter. In our system he could find an early niche just by defending and leaking out. And his jump shot looks like it should be consistent.

I would draft him if Harden, Jennings, Evans, Williams and Holiday were gone.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#14 » by TheDunc » Tue May 12, 2009 1:45 pm

TiKusDom wrote:
PopsMensahBonsu wrote:

Whaat? These arent even march madness stats :S these are face to face season match ups. Their teams didnt even meet in the NCAA tournament. Oh yeah but thanks for bringing it up though, Hardens lack luster play in the NCAA tournament didn't earn him any extra points either. You are seriously ignorant of the facts if you didn't even know that these weren't March Madness numbers and that they never met in the NCAA tournament. You sure do know alot about college bball.....

When did i say they faced each other? it was a pretty known fact that derozan played well in march and harden didnt. So thats what i thought u were reffering to. How does that make me ignorant. I like how you always ignore posters points. Ive seen you do that many times where you'll pick at one stupid point but wont even talk about the other points. Your whole post in response to mine was that you werent talking about march madness. Ok big whoop. Your still talking about individual games. Harden had the better season and put up better stats so your point is moot.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#15 » by basketball royalty » Tue May 12, 2009 1:48 pm

I really like DeRozan and hope he is available when we pick, however, if we were to end up in the top 3 or something like that I think you have to take Harden. DeRozan has the potential but I think Harden is more of a sure thing and he will fit in perfectly with what the Raps need. Still, I hope that we are looking at a situation where Harden was taken and we the go with DeRozan because he is the most exciting prospect in the draft IMO.
props to Turbozone for the sig
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#16 » by TiKusDom » Tue May 12, 2009 1:51 pm

PopsMensahBonsu wrote:
When did i say they faced each other? it was a pretty known fact that derozan played well in march and harden didnt. So thats what i thought u were reffering to. How does that make me ignorant. I like how you always ignore posters points. Ive seen you do that many times where you'll pick at one stupid point but wont even talk about the other points. Your whole post in response to mine was that you werent talking about march madness. Ok big whoop. Your still talking about individual games. Harden had the better season and put up better stats so your point is moot.

Then you should be more mindful of the words you use and what they refer to . When people talk about March Madness it refers to mainly the NCAA tournament excitement. You made it sound like we should discredit DeRozans dominant performance because Harden didnt play well in the tournament. Having a good season is great, but the NCAA tournament and Conference championships is where stocks rise and where scouts see what players can do. Your point is moot, so because Harden sucked it up in March and DeRozan played extremely well we should not hold it as a credit to DeRozan? DeRozan performed, he showed he can outplay the best of them, and he got his team the wins. Argue all you want against that but dont try to discredit what this young man has accomplished with his talents. He has shown that he gets better every game, and there is absolutely nothing that leads me to believe that a 19 year old stud with his talents cant improve his dribbling or shooting , both things that can easily be learned with practice and summer training camps. Calderon is a prime example of how even a mid 20 year old something can learn to shoot, so DeRozan wont be able to attain a shot at 19 years of age with some NBA development? You act as if he cant increase his handles or improve his shot even though hes only 19 and just scratching the surface of his potential.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#17 » by Gold Chain » Tue May 12, 2009 2:01 pm

This is my first desire on the draft wish list!

DeMar needs to don the Rap's jersey and bring back huge facial dunks to the ACC.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,774

Post#18 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue May 12, 2009 2:18 pm

DeMar DeRozan is my favorite prospect in this entire draft, with where we're likely to be picking at.

Now, he may not be a stud like Vince Carter right away, but I think he'll be more like Thaddeus Young in his first couple of years.
Gruel
Senior
And1: 0

Post#19 » by Gruel » Tue May 12, 2009 2:33 pm

It's more likely he plays the 3 at the next level, IMO
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#20 » by Southward1 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:49 pm

-The raptors should be looking at him
-He's definitely a Small Forward.
-I think his ceiling is a bigger stronger version of Shawn Marion with less rebounds obviously.
-He has to work on his handles, because right now he lacks the ability to get into the lanes and get to the free-throw line.
-He doesn't have superstar written all over him, but he can certainly fall into the Caron Butler/Richard Jefferson/Josh Howard caliber of wing players which is what this team needs anyway.
-His defense is horrible, but he's big, strong and athletic so he has the tools to be a good defender.

Return to Toronto Raptors