ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: DeMar DeRozan

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Gruel
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Draft Countdown: DeMar DeRozan 

Post#21 » by Gruel » Tue May 12, 2009 2:50 pm

I see him as best a case Jo. Howard, worst case Ronnie Brewer
Blasphemy
Bench Warmer
And1: 82

Post#22 » by Blasphemy » Tue May 12, 2009 3:44 pm

i see him as a young Joey Grahm

"A wise man told me don't argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who." - Jay-Z
flipside21
Veteran
And1: 896

Post#23 » by flipside21 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:46 pm

Gruel wrote:I see him as best a case Jo. Howard, worst case Ronnie Brewer

I'd take either one of those with a 9th overall pick . . .
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#24 » by 5DOM » Tue May 12, 2009 3:56 pm

Right now, his biggest problem is that he doesn't have the skills to effectively utilize his athleticism.
What good is being an elite finisher if you can't get near the rim?
In that sense, i think Joey Graham is a good worst case scenario for him.
If he develops a lot, I can definitely see a poor man's VC though.
My draft board: Tyreke - DeMar - Clark
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#25 » by TheDunc » Tue May 12, 2009 4:05 pm

5DOM wrote:Right now, his biggest problem is that he doesn't have the skills to effectively utilize his athleticism.
What good is being an elite finisher if you can't get near the rim?
In that sense, i think Joey Graham is a good worst case scenario for him.
If he develops a lot, I can definitely see a poor man's VC though.
My draft board: Tyreke - DeMar - Clark

Thats exactly how i see it. Hes a great athlete but athletism can only take you so far in the NBA. If he wants to be the next VC then he is going to have to work very very hard because right now i dont see it. Right now his skills translate more to a 3 in the NBA. The great thing about him is hes 19 years old.

I personally would much rather trade for JR smith instead and use the 9th pick for someone else like earl clark. Im ancious to see how derozan does in workouts.
andrew2good4u
Starter
And1: 104

Post#26 » by andrew2good4u » Tue May 12, 2009 5:35 pm

this kid is a freak of nature.
Never really took the time to watch his highlight videos. Only the last few games of the NCAA season
Props to triplemke23
Carlos Rogers
Banned User

Post#27 » by Carlos Rogers » Tue May 12, 2009 5:41 pm

I have to see more footage of Derozen before I make my final judgment but everything I've
read his negatives are extremely alarming. A SG/SF who has no handles no mid range and
can't shoot the 3 is not exactly what I want to hear...

We need a SG who can beat his man off the bounce and create his own shot with good Ball handling skills that could play some PG if necessary to go along with excellent athleticism.

Maybe Derozen has worked on those skills since the season ended and will show teams that these aren't an issue in workouts and maybe he has these skills and his College team
hid them so he could play within there system..... However if these are still glaring flaws then you have to stay away from him.
RINSE
Head Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#28 » by RINSE » Tue May 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Vince Carter didn't have a jumper when he entered the league either.
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#29 » by Avenger » Tue May 12, 2009 6:20 pm

RINSE wrote:Vince Carter didn't have a jumper when he entered the league either.

just from the top of my head, i believe Vince shot 37% from college 3 where as DeRozan shot 19% and there was a point where he was like 7% from 3 point land

edit: found the actual stats and i was almost spot on. Vince shot .368 for his college career from 3 and .411 in his final year in college. DeRozan shot .167, lol, not 36%, not 26%, he shot 16%.
http://www.databasebasketball.com/playe ... =CarteVi01
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dem ... 319/stats/
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#30 » by Dennis P » Tue May 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Anyone have video footage of him at USC? All the stuff I've seen is high school
ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Post#31 » by ZeriousLy » Tue May 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Dennis P wrote:Anyone have video footage of him at USC? All the stuff I've seen is high school

Check on youtube for his games against UCLA and Arizona St.
bychai
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: forward, not backward. upward not forward. and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Post#32 » by bychai » Tue May 12, 2009 6:39 pm

The form on his jumpshot looks good... I'm sure he can improve greatly after coming into the NBA. He even had the VC spinning layup lol

If he really is passive at times, then the only thing stopping him is himself. Hopefully he steps the mental game up.
shoutout to Slam Dumb! for ignoring my email!
40Cal
Freshman

Post#33 » by 40Cal » Tue May 12, 2009 8:56 pm

I think this guy will fit our team quite nicely. Since he really does not have a jump shot, he will tend to attack the rim more. Also, Triano has done a good job of developing Barganani, so Derozan could develop quite nicely this year too. His work ethic has never been questioned either.
So kick me when I’m down, because I swear to you, I’ll be back up. And when I get back up, I’m going to sit back, and I’m going to laugh, man, because I’m going to have the last laugh."- Tracy McGrady
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,578

Post#34 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 12, 2009 9:06 pm

Derozan stinks. He can hit the midrange J and score in transition, not much else.

His handles are a HUGE problem. You can't be a star without handles and the number of players who have come into the league as bad in that area as Derozan and molded them into elite level, is very very low. Secondly, for the hype about his explosive athleticism, his first step is not that good. Harden and Henderson's are actually quite a bit better. Having an explosive first step is at least half the benefit of having great athleticism, so yeah, Derozan is not the perfect specimen he's listed as. Combine those two things with his god-awful passing and bball IQ on both ends, and the superstar potential people are salivating over is just not here. He might become Igoudala without the defense and passing if he's lucky. Most likely he's somewhere between Moon and Outlaw

Demar is the tease of this draft, with teams being egotistical in their drafting and scouting ability and convincing themselves they can pull a Pierce/Dirk/Amare/etc. and get at the 9th or 10th pick in a horrible draft, even when it's just not there in the players. Brandon Jennings is MUCH more of a high upside/potential star pick than Derozan. Heck I'd probably put Jrue Holliday higher than him in terms of potential
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#35 » by inrapscity » Tue May 12, 2009 10:04 pm

if we stay at our current position, derozan's my dream pick.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#36 » by Undefeated » Tue May 12, 2009 10:17 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:His handles are a HUGE problem. You can't be a star without handles and the number of players who have come into the league as bad in that area as Derozan and molded them into elite level, is very very low. Secondly, for the hype about his explosive athleticism, his first step is not that good. Harden and Henderson's are actually quite a bit better. Having an explosive first step is at least half the benefit of having great athleticism, so yeah, Derozan is not the perfect specimen he's listed as. Combine those two things with his god-awful passing and bball IQ on both ends, and the superstar potential people are salivating over is just not here. He might become Igoudala without the defense and passing if he's lucky. Most likely he's somewhere between Moon and Outlaw.

True, his ball handling skills is pretty horrible, although I doubt he would have to play SG for us since he looks to be a better fit at SF and he won’t need to worry carrying the ball up the court most times. Personally, I believe DeRozan can or will become a stud, but the hype around him is too high on this board in which once he does have a horrible rookie season, people will start bad mouthing him, so I would set my standards a bit lower guys. Ball handling is something that he can work on so I wouldn’t worry a lot about that considering he’s still fairly young moreover he still has plenty of time to become a star…

Also, Danny Granger’s main weakness when he first arrived to the league was his ball handling skills yet he can still become a star. Here's what DraftExpress had to say back in 2005... What DX had to say about Granger is almost identical to DeRozan...

BTW, huge fan of Holiday... Love his b-ball IQ along with his defensive mindset...

Most of Granger's weaknesses stem from the fact that he was played in the post for most of his collegiate career. His main one is his ball-handling, which will need serious work for him to become a shot-creating threat in the NBA. His left hand is particularly weak, as most everything of what he does off the dribble tends to be with his right. This hurts his slashing ability, as his first step isn't lightning quick as it is.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Danny-Granger-86
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Fast_Feets
Starter
And1: 359

Post#37 » by Fast_Feets » Tue May 12, 2009 10:20 pm

for a guy who is is 6'6, a 6'9 wingspan is hardly wide. its probably short.

dwyane wade is like 6'4 with a 6'10, 6'11 wingspan
theocratic_n'_nature
Pro Prospect
And1: 372

Post#38 » by theocratic_n'_nature » Tue May 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Very high risk, very high reward...ultimate project. We are not in the right position to take a gamble on someone that would need the amount of attention (for improvement) that DeRozan needs. Right now, he's all potential. That's it. If you're in the 'keep Bosh' camp, you look somewhere else. If you're in the 'trade Bosh, start mini-rebuild' then maybe..and even then it's not a guarantee you take him. I don't get it, many posters here were so upset that Bargnani didn't develop faster...how much more when DeRozan needs 2 or 3 years just to be a respectable starter? Joey Graham comparison may not fit exactly, but both has phenomenal athleticism, yet like Joey, DeRozan has a steep learning curve in front of him that will take time, probably too much time for where this team currently is.

Personally, I'd take a surer thing at 9 (Henderson, Harden if there) and then buy a pick and get T. Will and have them duke it out in training camp.

Bottom line, DeRozan is too raw for this club. He's not ready to play at an acceptable level, and we're not ready to commit to the time frame it would take to get him there.
cbosh4mvp
Suspended
And1: 805

Post#39 » by cbosh4mvp » Tue May 12, 2009 11:03 pm

Can't go left? wtf lol cmon that should mean he has no work ethic. Im 15 and I can go left with ease. It took me a month to become a good finisher but it should be part of his arsenal at 19 while being in the NCAA. Ball handling can be learned. :( hopefully raptors draft me lolz (in 4 years)
Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Projection- 57-25
Credits to TurboZone--- TurboZone.Com
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#40 » by Kabookalu » Tue May 12, 2009 11:10 pm

I'm not really sold on him, all potential at this point, it would have been better if he stayed in school longer but he's doing it purely out of need as well which is respectable.

Return to Toronto Raptors