ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: DeMar DeRozan

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Re: Draft Countdown: DeMar DeRozan 

Post#201 » by Avenger » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:09 am

TiKusDom wrote:DD will be just fine , as soon as we get him into a Raptors uniform everything else will take care of itself. The kid is an ox with a serious work ethic and very humble. Hes going to be a stud. If calderon can massively improve his shot in his mid 20s and become one of the best shooters in the NBA I'm sure a 19 year old will improve his shooting . DeRozan's mid range game is already butter, the only thing that he needs to improve on is the 3 point shot and FT form but with an NBA development team he will definitely improve.

really? How about
Handles-atrocious for a two guard
Pick and Roll game- non existent but must for a 2 guard in the NBA
assist to turnover ratio
turnover prone when forced to dribble more than twice
average IQ/BBIQ
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#202 » by TiKusDom » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:29 am

Avenger wrote:

really? How about
Handles-atrocious for a two guard

Pick and Roll game- non existent but must for a 2 guard in the NBA
assist to turnover ratio
turnover prone when forced to dribble more than twice
average IQ/BBIQ

atrocious handles? You are exaggerating quite a bit. They are adequate for a 1st year college freshman.

I didnt see him being turnover prone except at the start of the college season when he was still figuring his game out. Not so much after the mid NCAA season. A/To ratio he can improve. All the things you talk about a 19 year old can learn and improve on . He knows how to use screens well and already moves without the ball very well. He will have no problems mastering the pick and roll. His midrange game is sweet, it wont be hard for him to master shooting after coming of a curl or pick, hes already shown he can do that in college.
. Uses screens well and comes off ready to fire ..
careful
Assistant Coach
And1: 6

Post#203 » by careful » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:32 am

Yeah, his weak handles worry me the most. Offensively, he wouldn't provide much more than Joey right now.
EliteBaller
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#204 » by EliteBaller » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:35 am

I think the rumour is that if Demar Derozan is selected by the knicks or anyone before 9 than we will be trading down and drafting a guy like James Johnson/Earl Clark and some asset or salary dump for the 9th. That's the only reason I can see us having to wait until after the draft to hear this insider info. Just my personal opinion.
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#205 » by Avenger » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:39 am

TiKusDum wrote:atrocious handles? You are exaggerating quite a bit. They are adequate for a 1st year college freshman.

not for a freshman guard, there's a dfference

TiKusDum wrote:I didnt see him being turnover prone except at the start of the college season when he was still figuring his game out. Not so much after the mid NCAA season. A/To ratio he can improve.

its not just that he turn the ball over but when he does it, most of his turnovers are in the half court where people force him to dribble more than twice

TiKusDum wrote: All the things you talk about a 19 year old can learn and improve on . He knows how to use screens well and already moves without the ball very well. .

that's the same thing. Two man game in the NBA requires the ball handler to be a threat to turn the corner, knock down the 16 footer of the dribble, take advantage of mismatches on switches and most importantly make the right decisions
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#206 » by lemondrop » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:41 am

TiKusDom wrote:
atrocious handles? You are exaggerating quite a bit. They are adequate for a 1st year college freshman.

I didnt see him being turnover prone except at the start of the college season when he was still figuring his game out. Not so much after the mid NCAA season. A/To ratio he can improve. All the things you talk about a 19 year old can learn and improve on . He knows how to use screens well and already moves without the ball very well. He will have no problems mastering the pick and roll. His midrange game is sweet, it wont be hard for him to master shooting after coming of a curl or pick, hes already shown he can do that in college.
. Uses screens well and comes off ready to fire ..

He will be 20 when the ball gets tossed in the air on opening night

Bosh and Jose operate mid range, Bargnani does alot now to, I don't think there is room for another guy to operate in their space as JO found out very quickly last year.

His mid range game is decent, not sweet or great. He can't create for himself, pass or shoot the three. Teams will just get up in his face and force a bad shot, turn over or bad pass.

We no longer are running a pick n roll dominate offense and even if we did it would be run by Jose and Bosh, we want to run and Triano pretty much scrapped the Bosh and Jose high pick n roll when he took over. On top of that we don't really have any player capable of setting earth shattering screens.

WIl he improve? Yes but again its important for you and everyone to lower expectations with this kid if we pick him because he is gonna struggle and struggle big time in year one.
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#207 » by TiKusDom » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:46 am

Avenger wrote:

not for a freshman guard, there's a dfference

carter's handles were no better in his freshman year.

its not just that he turn the ball over but when he does it, most of his turnovers are in the half court where people force him to dribble more than twice

hes an open court player , we will be a running team, he will have other players on the court to take pressure off him. Colangelo wants this team to run run run. He fits the system, no one will be asking him to be the primary creator in the half court with Bosh/Bargnani/Calderon/Marion there. Almost all our offense in the half court revolves around Calderon and Bosh.

that's the same thing. Two man game in the NBA requires the ball handler to be a threat to turn the corner, knock down the 16 footer of the dribble, take advantage of mismatches on switches and most importantly make the right decisions

The two man game in Toronto is Bosh and Calderon. Period. We need an athletic wing that can play defense and move well in the open court. BC is building an open court team. DD fits that bill. DD can knock down the 16 footer quite well, his mid range game is butter. DD wont be asked to do so much shooting as he will be asked to run the open court and play defense. Again the primary shooters will be Bosh / Bargnani / Calderon, they will be doing most of the shooting , that wont be what this team asks DD to do. You are talking as if this team is going to rely on his shooting badly , no, nearly all our shooting will be coming from the core 3 , delfino, parker, all far up the totem pole. DDs role on this team will be to run the court, play tough nosed defense, and hit the occasional J which he has proven he can do.
alevirfe
Starter
And1: 1,683

Post#208 » by alevirfe » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:50 am

I posted this in another thread in regards to the SpriteZone rumor:
Maybe it's an Amare for Lee trade that includes swapping picks, and PHX is high on Derozan?
mintsa wrote: Yeah….the “new car smell” is starting to wear off with Scottie.

bongmarley wrote:I thought he was supposed to be an elite defender. He is horrible. On the perimeter he gets blown by everytime Its really bad
Parasight
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#209 » by Parasight » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:57 am

I always find it funny when people mention his "lack of a jumpshot". The dude has one of the best mid-range games coming into the draft. Better shooter than Tyreke I'd argue.
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#210 » by lemondrop » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:59 am

efrivela wrote:I posted this in another thread in regards to the SpriteZone rumor:
Maybe it's an Amare for Lee trade that includes swapping picks, and PHX is high on Derozan?

He says the raps want derozan, well I don't like that already so it can't be good news lol

Also it is an old rumor or fact that the Blazers and Knicks are involved in a trade that will take place on draft night for Sergio Rodriguez, other names were not mentioned. Perhaps he is using this old worn out report and the trade is bigger than expected.

Personally I don't think he knows anything worth while
EliteBaller
Banned User

Post#211 » by EliteBaller » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:01 am

I can see Derozan developing into a Vince type player. He won't be as good obviously and I don't think he has the body control and agility to play as well but he will be exciting to watch.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,819

Post#212 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:04 am

efrivela wrote:I posted this in another thread in regards to the SpriteZone rumor:

We should do Bosh for Lee + pick or Chandler. I'm no fan or Lee, but it's better than any Chicago or Miami deal.
trick
Head Coach
And1: 905

Post#213 » by trick » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:22 am

UssjTrunks wrote:
We should do Bosh for Lee + pick or Chandler. I'm no fan or Lee, but it's better than any Chicago or Miami deal.

:banghead:
#Raptors are 7-1. In 6 of the past 10 seasons, a team that has started a season 7-1 has gone on to win an NBA championship.

— Sportsnet Ticker (@SportsnetTicker) November 12, 2014
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#214 » by lemondrop » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:54 am

Derozan joins twitter

Update

New York in the morning. Yessir.
about 4 hours ago from Tweetie

Yes you all can wish him sweet dreams now to
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#215 » by lemondrop » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:55 am

;
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#216 » by TiKusDom » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:10 am

^^ wtf are you drunk :lol:
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#217 » by lemondrop » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:24 am

TiKusDom wrote:^^ wtf are you drunk :lol:

Double post :lol: @ you

Derozan a Knick, yes!!!!
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#218 » by TiKusDom » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:18 pm

lemondrop wrote:
TiKusDom wrote:^^ wtf are you drunk :lol:

Double post :lol: @ you

Derozan a Knick, yes!!!!

:lol: :lol: @ u. Keep drowning your t-will sorrows in booze. He'll never be a raptor.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,756

Post#219 » by Double Helix » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:40 pm

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

Return to Toronto Raptors