ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Stephen Curry

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Draft Countdown: Stephen Curry 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:53 pm

Stephen Curry
Point Guard (Rank: #8) | 6-3, 185 | Age: 21
Davidson (Junior)

Positives:
•One of the best scorers in the country
•Amazing shooter with deep, deep range
•Excellent at putting the ball on the floor and drawing fouls
•Deadeye from the foul line
•Good rebounder for his size
•Excellent basketball IQ, solid passer
•Clutch scorer
•Picks up steals

Negatives:
•A tweener
•Lacks size at his natural position
•Needs to add strength, slight frame
•Just a decent athlete
•Not particularly quick or explosive

Topics of discussion:
- A very likely candidate at #9. A combo guard that can fill up the basket. Do we take him?
- Player comparison?
- What's his ceiling?
etc.
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Re: Draft Countdown: Stephen Curry 

Post#2 » by CrookedJ » Wed May 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Comparison/ceiling.... Mike Bibby? Jumpshooting guard that can play the point, but not a "true" point. Like Bibby I could see him with many seasons in the 5-6 APG range.

I do feel he is underrated by many that see him as a JJ Redick clone, but he did avg 5.6 assist for Davidson this year when asked to play the point, and is a much more balanced scorer than JJ. The key is if he was drafted to play point, he'd be far better off than trying to guard NBA 2's.

I don't know that he's a good fit on this team though. He would have to be a Jason Terry 6th man role . . there no way he and Jose could play together.

EDIT . .. just had another thought . . .Bibby has been great beside Joe Johnson, they really share the point duties. NY has rumored a promise to Curry . . anyone else think he would be great player to put beside Lebron? New York already 'building' around him?
gloriousthree
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by gloriousthree » Wed May 13, 2009 1:50 pm

I like Jason Terry as a comparison. Think he could have a similar scoring impact, especially as a 6th man.
Greasenani FTW!!
flipside21
Veteran
And1: 896

Post#4 » by flipside21 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:58 pm

I think Curry could end up being better than people expect - worst case, he may be a very similar to his Father who was DEFINITELY an impact player, if not a star.

That said, I don't feel like he's the type of guy the Raptors want to look at - the Raptors need upgrades in everything he doesn't do, and nothing that he does do.
gangstaff
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#5 » by gangstaff » Wed May 13, 2009 1:59 pm

If we can trade Jose for a defensive wing of the same caliber, I'd take Curry and start him at PG. Bob Knight raved about his passing this year as a PG. BK's a jerk, but he knows basketball.
bargs
Starter
And1: 11

Post#6 » by bargs » Wed May 13, 2009 2:09 pm

i'm not impressed by the kid, but he has some skills which could make him special...he's a cheaper version of derric rose, i can't see him having the same impact rose had, but if at 9 there will be nothing better i'd go for this guy of course.

then you've got to move calderon somewhere else, and use ukic as a backup pg...and obviously swap calderon for a valuable SG.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#7 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed May 13, 2009 2:09 pm

I think Curry is the boom or bust player of the draft. Either McHale grabs him and he sucks or a Sly GM moves up and grabs him (and everyone is surprised when this guy turns in to an All-Star and realgm'ers start proclaiming they knew he'd be this good, BC sucks because he didn't get him blah blah blah)
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,502

Post#8 » by Brinbe » Wed May 13, 2009 2:11 pm

flipside21 wrote:I think Curry could end up being better than people expect - worst case, he may be a very similar to his Father who was DEFINITELY an impact player, if not a star.

That said, I don't feel like he's the type of guy the Raptors want to look at - the Raptors need upgrades in everything he doesn't do, and nothing that he does do.

Yep, I feel the same way... Curry will definitely have an impact somewhere, at a minimum he could be another Eddie House-type who can come in and score in bunches off the bench. However, I don't feel he's right for this team. A Calderon/Curry backcourt would get murdered and I doubt we trade Jose anytime soon to allow Curry (or anyone else) to take over at the 1. And I wouldn't mind him at the point, but as the team is constructed currently, we simply need a classic 2-guard (someone with size) to pair with Jose.

Honestly, I hope the rumor about the Knicks is true.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#9 » by Pchu » Wed May 13, 2009 2:28 pm

He is very similar to his dad, except he might have better handles and court vision. His best position is at PG, I think; since he's way to skinny and undersized to be a SG. His lack of athleticism doesn't help either.
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#10 » by Spragga » Wed May 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Would teams be able to double us if we put Bosh/Bargs/Kapono/Curry/Jose on the floor? That would be a pretty efficient offensive group. We would have to play hella zone though.
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
bargs
Starter
And1: 11

Post#11 » by bargs » Wed May 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Spragga wrote:Would teams be able to double us if we put Bosh/Bargs/Kapono/Curry/Jose on the floor? That would be a pretty efficient offensive group. We would have to play hella zone though.

well, defensively we'd continue to suck...but probably it's a matter of spacing and teamwork...
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#12 » by 5DOM » Wed May 13, 2009 2:58 pm

bargs wrote:i'm not impressed by the kid, but he has some skills which could make him special...he's a cheaper version of derric rose, i can't see him having the same impact rose had, but if at 9 there will be nothing better i'd go for this guy of course.

then you've got to move calderon somewhere else, and use ukic as a backup pg...and obviously swap calderon for a valuable SG.

derrick rose? how?
neurotik
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,864

Post#13 » by neurotik » Wed May 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Spragga wrote:Would teams be able to double us if we put Bosh/Bargs/Kapono/Curry/Jose on the floor? That would be a pretty efficient offensive group. We would have to play hella zone though.

this line would get murdered defensively. IMO defense is the number 1 priority for the raps. just can win without it
(1 of 10)
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#14 » by Dennis P » Wed May 13, 2009 3:43 pm

I don't think spacing is the issue with the Raps. Its defense first and foremost! second is having someone who can create a shot or get to the rim and finish
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#15 » by Avenger » Wed May 13, 2009 5:09 pm

If we trade Calderon, he is the guy i most interested in after Jennings. Stephen is gonna be a legit PG in the NBA and a decent scorer too
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#16 » by Dennis P » Wed May 13, 2009 5:41 pm

He is a pure scorer though wouldn't mind adding him to our roster either. You know what you're getting and it is still useful on this team.

EDit: He also seems to be adept at playing defense and getting into passing lanes. His one hiccup for me is size. He is obviously a sg trapped in PG's body. I still think he is the best combo guard in the draft. I would take him over Jennings for sure. I like his pedigree (Dell's son might make Toronto a desirable destination) and I like that fact he can score at will, defend, and plays two positions.

Right now I have him after Harden on my draft board.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#17 » by Dennis P » Wed May 13, 2009 6:03 pm

Brinbe wrote:
flipside21 wrote:I think Curry could end up being better than people expect - worst case, he may be a very similar to his Father who was DEFINITELY an impact player, if not a star.

Yep, I feel the same way... Curry will definitely have an impact somewhere, at a minimum he could be another Eddie House-type who can come in and score in bunches off the bench. However, I don't feel he's right for this team. A Calderon/Curry backcourt would get murdered and I doubt we trade Jose anytime soon to allow Curry (or anyone else) to take over at the 1. And I wouldn't mind him at the point, but as the team is constructed currently, we simply need a classic 2-guard (someone with size) to pair with Jose.

Honestly, I hope the rumor about the Knicks is true.

Not true BC has said more than a few times combo guard when asked about the draft. I think Curry is precisely the type of player we are looking at. He won't start but will come off the bench and fill in either at the 1 or 2 depending on matchups. I think this guy could be the steal of the draft IMO I hope the knick rumours are false!
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#18 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 13, 2009 6:05 pm

Good player but I'm sick of soft jumpshooters

I like the Bibby comparison. I think he'll be a PG. And yes he's perfect for Lebron
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#19 » by Dennis P » Wed May 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Good player but I'm sick of soft jumpshooters

I like the Bibby comparison. I think he'll be a PG. And yes he's perfect for Lebron

I like the ice in his veins. Definitely an upgrade to AP... He can make all kinds of shots and plays the passing lanes as well. again as a combo guard I don't think there is one better IMO. I see the Jason Terry comparison
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#20 » by Dennis P » Wed May 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Draft Express

Staying in school might become all the rage soon, based on the experiences of collegiate stars like Blake Griffin, Jordan Hill, James Harden, Hasheem Thabeet and Stephen Curry. The junior combo became a household name last March with a series of heroic performances in the NCAA tournament, and has clearly upped his draft stock by deciding to return for another year.

Curry isn’t scoring quite as efficiently as last season, but he’s become even more prolific—currently ranking as the #1 scorer in college basketball any way you slice it. His 3-point percentages are down by almost 6%, but he is getting to the free throw line at a much better rate to compensate, and shoots 87% once there. Best of all, Curry’s assist numbers are through the roof now that he’s taken over the point guard duties full time from Jason Richards (who graduated), dishing out twice as many this season while only increasing his turnovers marginally. He’s also become one of the best ball-thieves in college basketball, at over 3 steals per game.

There isn’t a player in the country who receives as much scrutiny from opposing defenses as Curry does. The entire game-plan of every team he faces revolves solely around shutting him down, which makes it a little bit difficult to accurately evaluate him. The problem is that his teammates just aren’t good enough to punish the opposition for the way they ignore them, as they rely so incredibly heavily on his ability to generate offense for them. Curry shoulders an unbelievable share of the offensive load for Davidson, ranking #1 in the NCAA in usage rate, and #2 in field goal attempts per-40. He’s one of the few players in the NCAA that you can actually say that the game will likely become easier for once he’s in the NBA, playing alongside better players and getting far more easy looks.

The biggest revelation of this season is the relative ease in which Curry has converted to the point guard position. Still obviously possessing a shoot-first mentality, Curry has looked fairly unselfish running his team’s offense, displaying excellent court vision and a real knack for getting teammates involved (relative to the team’s situation). He does a good job on the pick and roll, and is a much more creative passer than we were previously able to see, capable of handling the ball with either hand and being very adept at playing at different speeds. Although he’s probably never going to be a pure playmaker in the Steve Nash or Chris Paul mold, he plays the game at an excellent pace, looks extremely poised at all times, and appears to show a good enough feel for the game to at least develop into a capable facilitator, ala Mike Bibby or Mo Williams.

The best part of Curry’s game clearly remains his perimeter shooting ability. Automatic with his feet set, he is very adept at coming off screens as well, being capable of setting his feet in an instant and getting his shot off incredibly quickly, already possessing NBA range on his jump-shot. Because of how few open looks he gets, he’s had to become a prolific off the dribble shooter as well, especially going left after creating his own shot, and particularly in transition, where he excels.

Because of the incredibly high difficulty of shots he’s capable of converting, Curry has a tendency to settle for a couple of truly awful attempts every game, showing absolutely no conscious. It’s difficult to gauge whether this has more to do with his role on the team, or if he just really overestimates his shooting ability at times. As cool and composed as he looks on the court at all times, he may even be a little too nonchalant on occasion, making some careless plays that lead to turnovers. He does rank 14th in the NCAA in turnovers per-40 after all.

One of the bigger concerns about Curry’s offensive game is that he does not project to become a prolific slasher at the NBA level. His first step is average at best, and considering his skinny frame and poor explosiveness around the basket in traffic, it’s unlikely that he’ll be able to get to the free throw line anywhere near as much in the NBA as he does in college. While he is a good ball-handler and is excellent at using change of speeds, fakes and hesitation moves to get by defenders, he usually prefers to settle for a pull-up jumper rather than take the way all the way to the rim. For that reason he’ll probably need to have some other shot-creators playing alongside him, especially in order to take full advantage of his perimeter shooting ability. He is extremely crafty about getting to the basket, really knowing how to exaggerate contact (some would say flopping) in order to draw fouls, which currently gets him to the line at a very nice rate.

Defensively, Curry puts a solid effort in, but is extremely limited by his poor physical tools on this end of the floor. He lacks great height, length or strength, and possesses below average lateral quickness, making him a potential defensive liability when being matched up with some of the more explosive guards the NBA is known for. He is a fairly tough kid, willing to stick his nose in and take a charge, and also seems to have a terrific knack for getting in the passing lanes (ranking amongst the top ball-thieves in the NCAA in steals), being extremely intelligent about following the scouting report. His lack of strength makes him susceptible to being posted up, though, and also makes it difficult for him to fight through screens. Although offensively it appears that he can play both guard spots, on the defensive end he would likely struggle badly guarding NBA shooting guards.

All in all, Curry has had a tougher time than he did last season with all the added attention that has been thrown his way, but he still projects as a very solid pro. In the right situation, alongside the right teammates, he could be a very effective NBA player, and his excellent intangibles and winning mentality lead you to believe that he’ll find a way to carve out a successful niche. The real question is whether he indeed decides to come out this year—so far he’s given little indication of that, as all signs point to him being extremely happy at Davidson. From a business standpoint, it makes little sense not to declare for the draft, though, as there is almost nothing left for him to prove at the collegiate level, and quite a bit to lose if things go wrong. It wouldn’t shock us to see the decision go either way.

Again not without flaws but I like what he brings to the table.

Return to Toronto Raptors