ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Stephen Curry

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Re: Draft Countdown: Stephen Curry 

Post#21 » by Undefeated » Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 pm

Dennis P wrote:He is a pure scorer though wouldn't mind adding him to our roster either. You know what you're getting and it is still useful on this team.

EDit: He also seems to be adept at playing defense and getting into passing lanes. His one hiccup for me is size. He is obviously a sg trapped in PG's body. I still think he is the best combo guard in the draft. I would take him over Jennings for sure. I like his pedigree (Dell's son might make Toronto a desirable destination) and I like that fact he can score at will, defend, and plays two positions.

Seeing as Colangelo’s vision is to play the run-and-gun, Curry being a pure scorer would be lights-out on our team. IMO, he would probably average between 13-15 and 3 in his first year which isn’t to shabby for a rookie. From what people have been saying on this board that our SG had lacked creating his own shots, scoring mentality along with IQ, Curry is basically the overall package and add that with his ability to play defense. Also, don’t forget that this kid can hit big shots late in the game...

IMO, Curry is comparable to Ben Gordon seeing as they were both were able to score at will, lack of size to play SG along with playing the point...
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#22 » by cram » Wed May 13, 2009 8:12 pm

bargs wrote:i'm not impressed by the kid, but he has some skills which could make him special...he's a cheaper version of derric rose, i can't see him having the same impact rose had, but if at 9 there will be nothing better i'd go for this guy of course.

then you've got to move calderon somewhere else, and use ukic as a backup pg...and obviously swap calderon for a valuable SG.

He is basically the EXACT OPPOSITE of derrick rose.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#23 » by Mustard_Tiger » Wed May 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Curry is the last player a team like the Raptors should be looking to add. Stay away. Far away.
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#24 » by SpaceJam » Wed May 13, 2009 8:25 pm

He is going to be yet again, one of those players that drop in the draft...maybe not too low, but low enough for everyone else to want to punch their GM's for not picking him when they could have. This kid is going to have a good impact on whatever team he gets selected by. He isn't super-star potential, but he has the skill and IQ to become an impact player like Bibby.
_________
Dennis P
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Dennis P » Wed May 13, 2009 8:29 pm

SpaceJam wrote:He is going to be yet again, one of those players that drop in the draft...maybe not too low, but low enough for everyone else to want to punch their GM's for not picking him when they could have. This kid is going to have a good impact on whatever team he gets selected by. He isn't super-star potential, but he has the skill and IQ to become an impact player like Bibby.

I tend to agree. He seems like the kind of player who has been honed to make big shots in a draft where almost everyone after 5 is a project he probably would be a excellent pick up.
MacDaddy
RealGM
And1: 428

Post#26 » by MacDaddy » Wed May 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Curry will be a much better PG than most people are giving him credit for. His role at Davidson was basically to shoot unless there was multiple coverage on him, but he has very good court vision and he is unselfish to a fault, more importantly though he is able to "see" the game - recognize defenses, know where his teammates are, anticipate picks and cuts.

This is what differentiates him from a guy like Ben Gordon or Eddie House. This guy is going to shock a lot of people who are trying to pigeonhole him now.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#27 » by Dennis P » Wed May 13, 2009 8:38 pm

MacDaddy wrote:Curry will be a much better PG than most people are giving him credit for. His role at Davidson was basically to shoot unless there was multiple coverage on him, but he has very good court vision and he is unselfish to a fault, more importantly though he is able to "see" the game - recognize defenses, know where his teammates are, anticipate picks and cuts.

This is what differentiates him from a guy like Ben Gordon or Eddie House. This guy is going to shock a lot of people who are trying to pigeonhole him now.

again I agree.

I think this guy will shock a lot of people I think given his pedigree and also the role he had at Davidson he has the potential to impact the PG match up if he gets stronger.

I think BC will be giving him a long look because he scores in bunches and plays 2 positions we are weak at.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,856

Post#28 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed May 13, 2009 10:51 pm

I think BC will give a good hard look at Stephen Curry if he's still on the board at 9. I actually think he might even take him at 9. If that happens, I'd expect Terrence Williams to picked up w/ another 1st rd. pick.

Personally, I'd take DeRozan or Harden if he slips. And then w/ another pick, I'd take Jeff Teague or Jrue Holiday.
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#29 » by TiKusDom » Wed May 13, 2009 11:00 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:I think BC will give a good hard look at Stephen Curry if he's still on the board at 9. I actually think he might even take him at 9. If that happens, I'd expect Terrence Williams to picked up w/ another 1st rd. pick.

Personally, I'd take DeRozan or Harden if he slips. And then w/ another pick, I'd take Jeff Teague or Jrue Holiday.

Yeah I'm with you on that, Harden most definitely if he slips but odds are slim, DeRozan is a clear cut #9 pick if he drops that low, if the Raptors are that lucky.
just23
Rookie

Post#30 » by just23 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:20 am

From what little I've seen of him actually playing I think he's a pretty special player.
Not a pure point guard, but an adequate passer and a superb scorer. The Bibby comparison is fair.
I understand why Lebron likes his game. If this kid played beside someone else who could share the passing duties he could be a 20 ppg scorer. Really. He's just clever and is probably the best shooter to come out of college game in a few years. Not just a 3 point shot, but mid range game. Even some creativity at the basket, though he lacks ideal strength and explosiveness.
I would have no problem with the Raps getting Curry. Just have to trade Jose then because this guy could not start at the 2. He's a point guard who scores. Not a shooting guard who can pass. The main problem is he couldn't defend NBA shooting guards. Just put him beside a defensive wing and your set. I love his game.
And I totally agree that if we took him 9th overall Terrence Williams would be the smart move if we got another pick.
Kayjay
Banned User
And1: 180

Post#31 » by Kayjay » Thu May 14, 2009 12:45 am

I worry about his D.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#32 » by supersub15 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:59 am

The Combine buzz is Oklahoma City, selecting third, also is very interested in Stephen Curry and has scouted him furiously.

"Like they had season tickets," Curry said.

Could Curry be going 3rd overall? Or do they want to trade down?
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#33 » by lemondrop » Fri May 29, 2009 12:20 pm

Offensively Curry is gonna kill it but im not sure he can defend good enoujgh for a team like us who needs defenders. I still like the kid though and think he will be something along the lines of Monta Ellis in the NBA.

It would be surprising if he went #3 though, I see him more of a combo guard so im not sure how he will get many minutes with Mayo at SG.
Ill Mago
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#34 » by Ill Mago » Fri May 29, 2009 4:04 pm

i like the bibby ceiling comparison. this guy will be a solid pro imo
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#35 » by J Dilla » Fri May 29, 2009 4:12 pm

I don't want anyone chucking 18 threes all by themselves. This guy is nothing but a chucker.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#36 » by sh00n » Fri May 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Jason Terry 2.0
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Ill Mago
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#37 » by Ill Mago » Fri May 29, 2009 4:34 pm

J Dilla wrote:I don't want anyone chucking 18 threes all by themselves. This guy is nothing but a chucker.

chucker chucking at a 41% clip on his college career... right
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#38 » by supersub15 » Tue Jun 2, 2009 9:13 pm

At this point, would anyone be upset if we picked Curry? If Evans and Harden are gone, I think I'd be ok with Curry.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,953

Post#39 » by JN » Tue Jun 2, 2009 9:17 pm

bargs wrote:i'm not impressed by the kid, but he has some skills which could make him special...he's a cheaper version of derric rose, i can't see him having the same impact rose had, but if at 9 there will be nothing better i'd go for this guy of course.

then you've got to move calderon somewhere else, and use ukic as a backup pg...and obviously swap calderon for a valuable SG.

Derrick Rose Comparison? WTF
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,953

Post#40 » by JN » Tue Jun 2, 2009 9:23 pm

Spragga wrote:Would teams be able to double us if we put Bosh/Bargs/Kapono/Curry/Jose on the floor? That would be a pretty efficient offensive group. We would have to play hella zone though.

The Good Ol BC vision... that failed.

a) Bargs and Bosh both play face up to the basket, which inherently closes out alot of passing lanes for outside shots, making defending the outside shot immensely easier for the defence

b) An overly conservative point guard who does not penetrate enough to make the defence collapse, and create passing lanes for outside shooters.

The Way that our core plays the game of basketball is not conducive to creating an excessive number of clean looks from the outside.

Return to Toronto Raptors