ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Terrence Williams

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,726

Re: Draft Countdown: Terrence Williams 

Post#21 » by DG88 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:15 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Remember he's a young senior. He's like 3 years younger than Sam Young, so there is still potential for growth.

Sam is only a year older than T-Will
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#22 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu May 14, 2009 6:35 am

DG88 wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Remember he's a young senior. He's like 3 years younger than Sam Young, so there is still potential for growth.

Sam is only a year older than T-Will

2 years to be exact.

TWill in 87', about the ame as most juniors.
S.Young 85', about the same as 2nd year pros.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,524

Post#23 » by S.W.A.N » Thu May 14, 2009 6:38 am

T Will seems like the kind of mid range pick that could end up much higher with workouts so us using9th pick may not be out of reason
We the North
ansoncarter
Head Coach
And1: 367

Post#24 » by ansoncarter » Thu May 14, 2009 6:43 am

pretty sure RapsTV showed a little of his workout

believe they asked him if his jumper would hold him back, or something like that, and he said Jim Kelly told him he'd been watching him all season and thought he would be a really good shooter. Which struck me as funny. And sad. And perfect in a way.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,726

Post#25 » by DG88 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:48 am

ansoncarter wrote:pretty sure RapsTV showed a little of his workout

believe they asked him if his jumper would hold him back, or something like that, and he said Jim Kelly told him he'd been watching him all season and thought he would be a really good shooter. Which struck me as funny. And sad. And perfect in a way.

I think it was BC he was referring to if I'm not mistaken.
ansoncarter
Head Coach
And1: 367

Post#26 » by ansoncarter » Thu May 14, 2009 6:54 am

DG88 wrote:
ansoncarter wrote:pretty sure RapsTV showed a little of his workout

I think it was BC he was referring to if I'm not mistaken.

I was only half watching, but iirc he sort of paused before saying GM, like he wasn't sure if he should refer to the person as a 'gm'

thats why I figured it was someone other than colangelo. And right after he said it they flipped to Jim Kelly talking about him, and it's usually Kelly who talks to them and runs the practices

just got the impression it was Jim Kelly he talked to

could be your completely right though
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#27 » by sh00n » Thu May 14, 2009 7:59 am

C_Money wrote:If DeRozan or Evans are picked before 9th I'de take T-Will

Never. I'd be beyond pissed. I'd way rather see BC buy another pick, where he'll still be available.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#28 » by TiKusDom » Thu May 14, 2009 10:38 am

T-Will is a great player with strong leadership qualities but there's no way we should use the 9th pick to reach for him, most likely we can get him in the mid teens if we buy a draft pick . Otherwise using the 9th pick on him would be very short sighted. I love T-Will, just not with the 9th lotto pick.
BigBurd
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#29 » by BigBurd » Thu May 14, 2009 12:44 pm

Calling T-Will an "Excellent rebounder" is doing him a terrible disservice. Call him the *best* rebounding wing in years is more like it. His 8.6 per game is huge considering he played with a good front court!

Supersub15's adjusted stats has Terrence Williams 9.0 per game, and he mentions that "...the best rebounding guard in the NBA (per 36 miuntes) is Jason Kidd at 6.5, followed by Iguodala at 5.7."

I don't see why T-Will couldn't managed a similar transition to AI; who averaged 8.4 for Arizona. The only other comparison I could think of was Shawn Marion - averaged 9.3 at UNLV, now averages 8.5 in the NBA. Both guys rebounding skills transitioned very well.

Don't forget his 5 assists per game either, another great stat. I'm not saying the guy doesn't have big holes in his game, just that we have to remember that things he does well he does significantly better then most prospects.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,347

Post#30 » by Shaazzam » Thu May 14, 2009 12:47 pm

This kid is going to be a player.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#31 » by supersub15 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:52 pm

BigBurd wrote:Calling T-Will an "Excellent rebounder" is doing him a terrible disservice. Call him the *best* rebounding wing in years is more like it. His 8.6 per game is huge considering he played with a good front court!

Supersub15's adjusted stats has Terrence Williams 9.0 per game:
"..the best rebounding guard in the NBA (per 36 miuntes) is Jason Kidd at 6.5, followed by Iguodala at 5.7."

I don't see why T-Will couldn't managed a similar transition to AI; who averaged 8.4 for Arizona. The only other comparison I could think of was Shawn Marion - averaged 9.3 at UNLV, now averages 8.5 in the NBA. Both guys rebounding skills transitioned very well.

Don't forget his 5 assists per game either, another great stat.

My issue though is that we've improved tremendously rebounding-wise with the addition Pops and Marion. I don't want us to draft somebody just because he rebounds well. Renaldo Balkman is a good rebounder too... but not much else. If he doesn't improve his shot...

Mind you, I'd cry tears of joy if we can pick him with a second 1st-round pick.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,005

Post#32 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu May 14, 2009 1:05 pm

supersub15 wrote:
BigBurd wrote:Calling T-Will an "Excellent rebounder" is doing him a terrible disservice. Call him the *best* rebounding wing in years is more like it. His 8.6 per game is huge considering he played with a good front court!

Supersub15's adjusted stats has Terrence Williams 9.0 per game:
"..the best rebounding guard in the NBA (per 36 miuntes) is Jason Kidd at 6.5, followed by Iguodala at 5.7."

Don't forget his 5 assists per game either, another great stat.

My issue though is that we've improved tremendously rebounding-wise with the addition Pops and Marion. I don't want us to draft somebody just because he rebounds well. Renaldo Balkman is a good rebounder too... but not much else. If he doesn't improve his shot...

Mind you, I'd cry tears of joy if we can pick him with a second 1st-round pick.

It's possible Pops and Marion are gone next year.

TWill is more than just an amazing rebounder, though. He can run an offense and hit the 3 ball. He's also got leadership qualities. Huge difference than just a hustle player like Balkman.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#33 » by Anatomize » Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Question is, if we're filling a need here, why are we so bent on drafting him with a 2nd pick as opposed to the 1st one?

We've often seen players picked high because they were thought to be the best player available, and picks which were drafted later still had more successful NBA careers.

T-Will seems to fit everything our team is looking for at the SG spot, athleticism, tenacity, rebounding, defense, hustle, 3 point shooting, passing. You can't teach many of the intangibles T-will presents the Raptors with, he may become the most productive role player in this draft. Since we're also looking for immediate contribution, he may very well be the guy.

If we are not able to nab a 2nd pick, why are people against drafting a player who could very well make a difference in our win/loss column at the end of the year?

Time and time again, we see that teams with a winning formula possess athletes who can play defense, and play within their role. The Pistons the last few years possessed many of these types of players (McDyess, Maxiell, Hunter off the bench). The Nuggets are now showing a similar formula of athleticism and defensive tenacity (K-mart, JR smith, Nene).

I don't want to pass up a guy who can cement the Raptors as a tough team, and create doubt in opposing SGs due to his will to win just because 'he's not the best player at that draft position', he fits exactly what we need.
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#34 » by TiKusDom » Thu May 14, 2009 1:17 pm

Anatomize wrote:Question is, if we're filling a need here, why are we so bent on drafting him with a 2nd pick as opposed to the 1st one?

We've often seen players picked high because they were thought to be the best player available, and picks which were drafted later still had more successful NBA careers.

T-Will seems to fit everything our team is looking for at the SG spot, athleticism, tenacity, rebounding, defense, hustle, 3 point shooting, passing. You can't teach many of the intangibles T-will presents the Raptors with, he may become one of the most productive role player in this draft. Since we're also looking for immediate contribution, he may very well be the guy.

If we are not able to nab a 2nd pick, why are people against drafting a player who could very well make a difference in our win/loss column at the end of the year?

It is important we maximize our assets including the 9th pick. If hes the guy for BC then fine, but dont waste the 9th lotto pick because that would be over reaching. Trade down and nab him at a lower position while getting more value in return with T-Will , wait until hes drafted 15th or whatnot and then trade the 9th pick for him. But this is only possible if you select a lotto talent with the 9th like a DeRozan , Jennings, Thabeet, or Evans and teams lower in the draft are willing to pay you to attain them. You select the BPA available and then go from there with the 9th, I do not think T-Will will be the BPA available with the 9th pick.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#35 » by basketball royalty » Thu May 14, 2009 1:29 pm

My personal draft board is 1)Harden 2)DeRozan 3) Evans 4) TWill. I don't like anyone else all that much and would rather see the raps trade for a later pick than take anyone else ahead of TWill outside of the three guys I stated. Maybe Jennings so he can be a combo socring guard off the bench but then I'd like the Raps to grab another pick for TWill.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#36 » by Anatomize » Thu May 14, 2009 1:31 pm

TiKusDom wrote:
Anatomize wrote:Question is, if we're filling a need here, why are we so bent on drafting him with a 2nd pick as opposed to the 1st one?

T-Will seems to fit everything our team is looking for at the SG spot, athleticism, tenacity, rebounding, defense, hustle, 3 point shooting, passing. You can't teach many of the intangibles T-will presents the Raptors with, he may become one of the most productive role player in this draft. Since we're also looking for immediate contribution, he may very well be the guy.

It is important we maximize our assets including the 9th pick. If hes the guy for BC then fine, but dont waste the 9th lotto pick because that would be over reaching. Trade down and nab him at a lower position while getting more value in return with T-Will , wait until hes drafted 15th or whatnot and then trade the 9th pick for him. But this is only possible if you select a lotto talent with the 9th like a DeRozan , Jennings, Thabeet, or Evans and teams lower in the draft are willing to pay you to attain them. You select the BPA available and then go from there with the 9th, I do not think T-Will will be the BPA available with the 9th pick.

Even if he isn't the BPA, I see him having a greater impact on our win/loss column than either Evans or DeRozan, both of whom I can see struggling to find a role within our team.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,323

Post#37 » by brownbobcat » Thu May 14, 2009 1:44 pm

just23 wrote:By the way, no gm would want to sell a lottery pick for 3 million. Stupidity like that gets you fired. A late first rounder maybe, but around 15th? Are you kidding me?

But, but, but ... Colangelo said the $3 mil we got for JO could buy back the pick we gave up!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:(
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#38 » by basketball royalty » Thu May 14, 2009 1:51 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
just23 wrote:By the way, no gm would want to sell a lottery pick for 3 million. Stupidity like that gets you fired. A late first rounder maybe, but around 15th? Are you kidding me?

But, but, but ... Colangelo said the $3 mil we got for JO could buy back the pick we gave up!

There are plenty Suns fans who think there pick may be up for sale and they pick at like 14th which is right around TWill's projected spot...
props to Turbozone for the sig
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#39 » by Anatomize » Thu May 14, 2009 1:52 pm

brownbobcat wrote:

The economy is really bad in the US, Sacramento might move their team to Anaheim, you can see why some teams would want some financial help.
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#40 » by TiKusDom » Thu May 14, 2009 1:55 pm

I can see Minnesota selling one of their picks they have 3 in this draft. top 5 . 18 . and 28. They already have craploads of young guys 3 more in this draft doesn't seem reasonable.

Phoenix will try and save money and cut costs everywhere. Sarver is really cheap. But will he sell it to Brian? Might not do it out of personal spite. BC might have to do a bit of persuading to get the Suns to give up their # 14 .

New Orleans is a candidate to sell their 21st pick they are bleeding money and trying to shed salary. 3 mil would be a nice pick me up .

I think Minnesota and their 18th is a prime candidate

Return to Toronto Raptors