ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Terrence Williams

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Re: Draft Countdown: Terrence Williams 

Post#61 » by Rhettmatic » Mon May 18, 2009 8:27 pm

Dennis P wrote:
supersub15 wrote:
BigBurd wrote:Calling T-Will an "Excellent rebounder" is doing him a terrible disservice. Call him the *best* rebounding wing in years is more like it. His 8.6 per game is huge considering he played with a good front court!

Supersub15's adjusted stats has Terrence Williams 9.0 per game:
"..the best rebounding guard in the NBA (per 36 miuntes) is Jason Kidd at 6.5, followed by Iguodala at 5.7."

I don't see why T-Will couldn't managed a similar transition to AI; who averaged 8.4 for Arizona. The only other comparison I could think of was Shawn Marion - averaged 9.3 at UNLV, now averages 8.5 in the NBA. Both guys rebounding skills transitioned very well.

Don't forget his 5 assists per game either, another great stat.

My issue though is that we've improved tremendously rebounding-wise with the addition Pops and Marion. I don't want us to draft somebody just because he rebounds well. Renaldo Balkman is a good rebounder too... but not much else. If he doesn't improve his shot...

Mind you, I'd cry tears of joy if we can pick him with a second 1st-round pick.

What's the chances Marion actually stays here for 09? I say 0 and none.

Williams is more than just a rebounder too he plays great defense and we sorely need a perimeter defender.

Again I can't say 9 but I wouldn't be completely destroyed if it happened either.

I actually think it's pretty likely Marion ends up staying here once he sees that no one else is willing to offer more than the MLE.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#62 » by TiKusDom » Mon May 18, 2009 8:31 pm

I would love T-Will here , warrior beast, but I dont know if the 9th pick is the right place to draft him.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,577

Post#63 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 18, 2009 8:38 pm

I like T Will, I do. But 9 is a stretch. I can't see the argument over Henderson, if they're both in similar 'great role player' molds... Henderson is younger and blows away T Will offensively.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,722

Post#64 » by C_Money » Mon May 18, 2009 8:41 pm

LOL their like 5 months apart.^^
Street Trader
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#65 » by Street Trader » Mon May 18, 2009 8:45 pm

yup, and T-Will be be the better pro of the two
C_Money
RealGM

Post#66 » by C_Money » Mon May 18, 2009 8:54 pm

Gerald Henderson will be alright but I still don't see him being better than T-Will. If he continues to improve his jump shot its over.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#67 » by OhMyBosh » Mon May 18, 2009 9:21 pm

I wouldn't be upset at all with Terrence at 9. He has the most NBA-ready body of anyone in the draft. And before you mention Joey, if you can't see that Williams knows how to play basketball and Joey couldn't, then you should stop judging basketball talent.

He has the athletism and fluidity of Wade, and probably the same inconsistent jumper as him too coming into the league. I'm not saying he's going to be like Wade by any means, but he's going to instantly be our most explosive player.

I have T-Will on the same boat as Tyreke and Demar.
C_Money
RealGM

Post#68 » by C_Money » Mon May 18, 2009 10:47 pm

LOL T-Will just sent me a message on Twitter.

"Raptors is a good look, I might come back depending on the talent they have there I wouldn't mind God Bless"

We're like brothers me and him LOL jk.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,577

Post#69 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 19, 2009 1:57 am

C_Money wrote:LOL their like 5 months apart.^^

5 months that led to T Will being in college a year more and having more time to develop skills he doesn't have
rise of raptors
Bench Warmer

Post#70 » by rise of raptors » Tue May 19, 2009 8:28 am

Kevin Willis wrote:tkim1, since you've followed Louisville can you comment on Earl Clark as well and how they compare to each other as prospects. How good are they together or is their a relationship? Either one is a potential candidate for the raptors and it would be nice to get insight on them both. Thanx.

Something I want to know as well.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#71 » by Anatomize » Tue May 19, 2009 12:54 pm

T-Will F-T-W
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#72 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue May 19, 2009 12:58 pm

I'm going to come out and endorse the selection of Terrence Williams with the 9th pick if Griffen, Rubio, Harden, Thabeet, are off the board. I also support the acquisition of Dujaun Blair.
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#73 » by TiKusDom » Tue May 19, 2009 1:00 pm

T-Will is excellent at destroying the zone, either slashing through it or passing it to the open man . T-Will IQ >>>>> Joey IQ.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#74 » by Anatomize » Tue May 19, 2009 1:09 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:I like T Will, I do. But 9 is a stretch. I can't see the argument over Henderson, if they're both in similar 'great role player' molds... Henderson is younger and blows away T Will offensively.

Henderson is undersized nonetheless, and does not present the Raptors with the ability to guard multiple positions. T-Will's passing ability is what separates the two in my eyes (a trademark of all good Raptor teams to this point).

Like you with Henderson, I see T-Will as an improving offensive player, he already has the athleticism, size, runs the fast break, creates scoring chances, and once he can improve his jumpshot/FT/off the dribble, this guy can be very similar to Iguodala during his development.

Since some people seem to think he isn't the best player available at 9th, why do Evans/DeRozan fit our team better?

I do like Henderson as well, and I think he can be an explosive player for us, he's become underrated at this point.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#75 » by Anatomize » Tue May 19, 2009 1:12 pm

TiKusDom wrote:T-Will is excellent at destroying the zone, either slashing through it or passing it to the open man . T-Will IQ >>>>> Joey IQ.

It's not even close, Joey is a terrible passer, and since he handles the ball so poorly, it makes it even harder for him to make passes off penetration.

For Joey to be successful, he needs to get down and gritty in the low post, he has solid footwork and finishes really well around the rim. The Raps never put Joey in situations which help his strengths, and that's mainly due to our perimeter oriented offense.

On the right team, with the right coach, Joey could turn into a very good consistent role player, I don't think this is the team.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#76 » by 5DOM » Tue May 19, 2009 1:23 pm

Again, what makes everyone so sure that a guy who can't make a FT after 4 years of college will suddenly improve in all aspects of the game?
The fact is that Terrence Williams, a senior, was an inconsistent offensive player who couldn't finish at the rim as well as people here are saying.
I like Williams too, not because of his offense, but because of his defense and rebounding.
And I think people here are really underestimating Gerald Henderson
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#77 » by Anatomize » Tue May 19, 2009 1:33 pm

5DOM wrote:Again, what makes everyone so sure that a guy who can't make a FT after 4 years of college will suddenly improve in all aspects of the game?
The fact is that Terrence Williams, a senior, was an inconsistent offensive player who couldn't finish at the rim as well as people here are saying.
I like Williams too, not because of his offense, but because of his defense and rebounding.
And I think people here are really underestimating Gerald Henderson

Senior has nothing to do with it, he's turning 22 years old, he has TONS of room for improvement.

We have the best shooters in the league, I would be surprised if he doesn't slightly improve.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#78 » by basketball royalty » Tue May 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Anatomize wrote:
TiKusDom wrote:T-Will is excellent at destroying the zone, either slashing through it or passing it to the open man . T-Will IQ >>>>> Joey IQ.

It's not even close, Joey is a terrible passer, and since he handles the ball so poorly, it makes it even harder for him to make passes off penetration.

For Joey to be successful, he needs to get down and gritty in the low post, he has solid footwork and finishes really well around the rim. The Raps never put Joey in situations which help his strengths, and that's mainly due to our perimeter oriented offense.

On the right team, with the right coach, Joey could turn into a very good consistent role player, I don't think this is the team.

I disagree. Joey played quite a bit better once the SMitch was gone. If it were up to me I would try and hold onto him ahead of guys like AP and Pops.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#79 » by Anatomize » Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 pm

basketball royalty wrote:
Anatomize wrote:

I disagree. Joey played quite a bit better once the SMitch was gone. If it were up to me I would try and hold onto him ahead of guys like AP and Pops.

End of the season, check the stats, I'm certain we both saw the games, he went back to being inconsistent.

Triano stopped utilizing him in the post, and lowered his minutes subsequently because of 'bad play', that and Marion. Additionally, with Triano's man crush of Kapono (became bearable near the end), Joey went back to the doghouse.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#80 » by Dennis P » Tue May 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
Dennis P wrote:
supersub15 wrote:My issue though is that we've improved tremendously rebounding-wise with the addition Pops and Marion. I don't want us to draft somebody just because he rebounds well. Renaldo Balkman is a good rebounder too... but not much else. If he doesn't improve his shot...

Mind you, I'd cry tears of joy if we can pick him with a second 1st-round pick.

What's the chances Marion actually stays here for 09? I say 0 and none.

Williams is more than just a rebounder too he plays great defense and we sorely need a perimeter defender.

Again I can't say 9 but I wouldn't be completely destroyed if it happened either.

I actually think it's pretty likely Marion ends up staying here once he sees that no one else is willing to offer more than the MLE.

Its starting to look more likely now that I read that article the other day. So long as we don't overpay I'm okay with it

Return to Toronto Raptors