ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Earl Clark

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Draft Countdown: Earl Clark 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:59 am

Earl Clark
Small Forward (Rank: #12) | 6-9, 200 | Age: 21
Louisville (Junior)

Positives:
•Point forward with excellent size
•Excellent athleticism and length
•Explosive leaper, good motor
•Good midrange jumper
•Fantastic passer
•Good rebounder
•Developing a low-post game
•Improved ball handler

Negatives:
•Needs to continue to add strength
•Lacks great range on his jump shot
•Still hasn't developed a great feel for the game
•Soft

Topics of discussion:
- A real possibility at #9. Do you take him or an SG, if DeRozan for example, is available?
- Seems to be a bit of a tweener SF/PF. Another Joey Graham?
- Ceiling/Player comparison...
etc.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Re: Draft Countdown: Earl Clark 

Post#2 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu May 14, 2009 12:10 pm

The guy just disappears during games. He just floats. If we could only combine his skills with TWills motor, then we'd have a helluva player.
Scares the bejeebers outta me if we draft him. I dont think he'll bust, but I think he'll make raptor fans bang their head against the wall a couple of times a week.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#3 » by supersub15 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:32 pm

It says here:
•Explosive leaper, good motor

:dontknow:
gangstaff
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#4 » by gangstaff » Thu May 14, 2009 12:34 pm

Ugh, no more PF's please! Especially soft ones.

How can he be an excellent passer but not have a feel for the game?
trick
Head Coach
And1: 905

Post#5 » by trick » Thu May 14, 2009 12:35 pm

gangstaff wrote:Ugh, no more PF's please! Especially soft ones.

How can he be an excellent passer but not have a feel for the game?

he screams SF to me, with spot minutes at PF if going small ball.
#Raptors are 7-1. In 6 of the past 10 seasons, a team that has started a season 7-1 has gone on to win an NBA championship.

— Sportsnet Ticker (@SportsnetTicker) November 12, 2014
Gruel
Senior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Gruel » Thu May 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Tim Thomas
Al Harrington
Julian Wright

Could end up like any of them...
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,962

Post#7 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu May 14, 2009 12:44 pm

Don't want him. He reminds me of Rashard Lewis in a negative sense. There's definitely a place for him in the NBA, but the last thing we need is another big behind the 3 point line.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#8 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu May 14, 2009 12:52 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:The guy just disappears during games. He just floats. If we could only combine his skills with TWills motor, then we'd have a helluva player.
Scares the bejeebers outta me if we draft him. I dont think he'll bust, but I think he'll make raptor fans bang their head against the wall a couple of times a week.

motor was the wrong word. TWills feel or desire is more what I was trying to refer to.
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#9 » by TiKusDom » Thu May 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Clark can probably be had with a mid draft pick in the 12 - 20 range, T-Will is definitely ahead of him on the draft boards at the moment. Clarks been showing improvement every year and is a pretty good rebounder, can become a good rotation player but will take time to adjust to the physicality and intensity of the NBA.
01adam
Freshman

Post#10 » by 01adam » Thu May 14, 2009 12:57 pm

i want this guy i have a feeling he'll become a lamar odom type player who can bring the ball up the floor and create for others this could defiantly give some rest time to jose if he develops this kind of game, and if we buy t-will in the mid to late first round i think they could feed off each other seeing as they've been together for the last 2-3 years and this will just make their development go much smoother i think being with a familiar face to start ur nba career
Jay_Rizzles27
Junior

Post#11 » by Jay_Rizzles27 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:58 pm

I like this kid, if de Rozen not on the boards or Jennings, or Evens id take Clark
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#12 » by _venom_ » Thu May 14, 2009 1:01 pm

TiKusDom wrote:Clark can probably be had with a mid draft pick in the 12 - 20 range, T-Will is definitely ahead of him on the draft boards at the moment. Clarks been showing improvement every year and is a pretty good rebounder, can become a good rotation player but will take time to adjust to the physicality and intensity of the NBA.

I guarantee you that Earl Clark is a higher rated prospect than Williams and will be all the way up to the draft. Clark arguably is the most talented player in the entire draft as far as skills are concerned.
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#13 » by TiKusDom » Thu May 14, 2009 1:27 pm

_venom_ wrote:
TiKusDom wrote:Clark can probably be had with a mid draft pick in the 12 - 20 range, T-Will is definitely ahead of him on the draft boards at the moment. Clarks been showing improvement every year and is a pretty good rebounder, can become a good rotation player but will take time to adjust to the physicality and intensity of the NBA.

I guarantee you that Earl Clark is a higher rated prospect than Williams and will be all the way up to the draft. Clark arguably is the most talented player in the entire draft as far as skills are concerned.

I would say T-Will is ahead on our draft board, for the Raptors, than Clark.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#14 » by Rhettmatic » Thu May 14, 2009 1:28 pm

I really like T-Will but any GM who takes him before Clark needs to have his head examined.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#15 » by basketball royalty » Thu May 14, 2009 1:47 pm

Sounds like the type of player I typically like eg. Lamar Odom, but I don't think the Raps should pass on the SG prospects out there, especially if Clark is deemed a softie. We are not in the cottonelle business any more, we are looking for sandpaper.
props to Turbozone for the sig
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#16 » by TiKusDom » Thu May 14, 2009 2:01 pm

basketball royalty wrote:Sounds like the type of player I typically like eg. Lamar Odom, but I don't think the Raps should pass on the SG prospects out there, especially if Clark is deemed a softie. We are not in the cottonelle business any more, we are looking for sandpaper.

Yeah thats exactly why I think T-Will is ahead of Clark on the Raptors draft board. Hes tough and ready to get in peoples grills, intense defensively and is a natural born leader. Plays with great fire . The kid is a natural born leader. He wants to mix it up, he loves the contact , the more he gets the more he wants. Plus he would fill our sg/sf needs, which this team needs a lot more, than a sf/pf type. We already got good PFs.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#17 » by _venom_ » Thu May 14, 2009 2:16 pm

TiKusDom wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:Sounds like the type of player I typically like eg. Lamar Odom, but I don't think the Raps should pass on the SG prospects out there, especially if Clark is deemed a softie. We are not in the cottonelle business any more, we are looking for sandpaper.

Yeah thats exactly why I think T-Will is ahead of Clark on the Raptors draft board. Hes tough and ready to get in peoples grills, intense defensively and is a natural born leader. Plays with great fire . The kid is a natural born leader. He wants to mix it up, he loves the contact , the more he gets the more he wants. Plus he would fill our sg/sf needs, which this team needs a lot more, than a sf/pf type. We already got good PFs.

You never draft for need, you draft best player available and Clark is a much more intriguing prospect than Williams. If Derozan/Harden/Evans are gone at our pick I wouldn't hesitate to grab Earl Clark. We need more talent in general.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#18 » by basketball royalty » Thu May 14, 2009 2:48 pm

_venom_ wrote:
TiKusDom wrote:

You never draft for need, you draft best player available and Clark is a much more intriguing prospect than Williams. If Derozan/Harden/Evans are gone at our pick I wouldn't hesitate to grab Earl Clark. We need more talent in general.

Who never drafts for need? I mean are not all mock drafts and the eventual real drafts all affected by teams drafting one guy over another because of team needs? You don't pass on Lebron James or Michael Jordan because of need, you do maybe pass on Earl Clark because of need and fit. I mean if you rank them each out of 100 and Clark is an 80 and TWill is a 78 but he fits on your team better I think you go for TWill. We are not talking about taking Aroujo over Iggy here.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#19 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Thu May 14, 2009 3:03 pm

Clarke played out of position at PF for an undersized Louisville team coached by an absolutely hard nosed coach who demands you play his way.

He's one of those guys who's game is way more suited to the NBA than the college level. He's one of those guys that the Raps desperately need. He plays multiple positions, can handle the ball and make plays, and he can create his own shot.

His question marks are more on his ability to focus and continue to be agressive to the hoop instead of just settling. The right coach and right situation and this guy is in the running (he won't win it) for ROY with Griffin and Rubio.
RocLaFamilia
Lead Assistant
And1: 34

Post#20 » by RocLaFamilia » Thu May 14, 2009 3:06 pm

basketball royalty wrote:Who never drafts for need? I mean are not all mock drafts and the eventual real drafts all affected by teams drafting one guy over another because of team needs? You don't pass on Lebron James or Michael Jordan because of need, you do maybe pass on Earl Clark because of need and fit. I mean if you rank them each out of 100 and Clark is an 80 and TWill is a 78 but he fits on your team better I think you go for TWill. We are not talking about taking Aroujo over Iggy here.

I think a good example was like last year with the Bobcats. Augistine was chosen (stupid move I thought, they should have went for Brook) with Felton there. Brown wanted DJ even though they had a young, pretty decent PG. Augistine SHOULD be a player you pass on for need like you said, but some GM's (and other decision makers) get fixated on certain players.
dacrusha wrote:
In 2009, when Wright asked a Colorado judge to intervene, Weems didn’t even bother sending a lawyer to court.

Since when does Weems bring any kind of defense to the court anyway?

Return to Toronto Raptors