ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Earl Clark

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Re: Draft Countdown: Earl Clark 

Post#21 » by _venom_ » Thu May 14, 2009 3:07 pm

basketball royalty wrote:Who never drafts for need? I mean are not all mock drafts and the eventual real drafts all affected by teams drafting one guy over another because of team needs? You don't pass on Lebron James or Michael Jordan because of need, you do maybe pass on Earl Clark because of need and fit. I mean if you rank them each out of 100 and Clark is an 80 and TWill is a 78 but he fits on your team better I think you go for TWill. We are not talking about taking Aroujo over Iggy here.

Yea and how many times have teams made terrible mistakes in the draft because they were drafting for need? Too many. I would rather compile as many assets as possible and deal with the roster moves later then take a prospect that is clearly not as promising just because he fills a need. We're not a couple pieces away from contention where we need to just get role players to fill our needs. We need talent and Earl Clark is talent.

The talent difference between Clark and TWill is larger than you think it is.
Flush
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#22 » by Flush » Thu May 14, 2009 3:11 pm

i would put under strengths for Clark is his Defense

he apparently takes Defense very seriously...more so than on offense...i've watched a few games and i can tell he puts a lot of energy into the Defensive end...which is great to see
_venom_
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by _venom_ » Thu May 14, 2009 3:11 pm

RocLaFamilia wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:Who never drafts for need? I mean are not all mock drafts and the eventual real drafts all affected by teams drafting one guy over another because of team needs? You don't pass on Lebron James or Michael Jordan because of need, you do maybe pass on Earl Clark because of need and fit. I mean if you rank them each out of 100 and Clark is an 80 and TWill is a 78 but he fits on your team better I think you go for TWill. We are not talking about taking Aroujo over Iggy here.

I think a good example was like last year with the Bobcats. Augistine was chosen (stupid move I thought, they should have went for Brook) with Felton there. Brown wanted DJ even though they had a young, pretty decent PG. Augistine SHOULD be a player you pass on for need like you said, but some GM's (and other decision makers) get fixated on certain players.

In all fairness to the Bobcats Felton was coming off a very disappointing season and the Bobcats weren't sure he was their PG of the future. Plus it's not like Augustine was terrible, he had a pretty darn good rookie year and no one thought Lopez would be as good as he was. There is also a chance that the Bobcats let Felton walk this offseason (he's a RFA) so picking Augustine makes sense.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#24 » by basketball royalty » Thu May 14, 2009 3:17 pm

_venom_ wrote:

Yea and how many times have teams made terrible mistakes in the draft because they were drafting for need? Too many. I would rather compile as many assets as possible and deal with the roster moves later then take a prospect that is clearly not as promising just because he fills a need. We're not a couple pieces away from contention where we need to just get role players to fill our needs. We need talent and Earl Clark is talent.

I am not saying you don't draft Clark. However, if you do draft him you trade him for TWill and a little something, something. I mean, maybe somebody really wants Clark and is willing to grab some of our junkers (Kaps/Banks/Hump) for their later 1st and an upgrade? Besides, I guess the main difference in our thought process is that I do think we are only a few pieces away if we can hold onto Bosh/Bargs/Marion/Jose as the central core.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,575

Post#25 » by Brinbe » Thu May 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Wouldn't mind drafting Clark, as he does bring some unique size/skill attributes to the table, but there are legitimate questions about what position he'll play at the next level. Because I've read (those espn draft chats with his trainer) that he's aiming to be a 4, so we'll see.

I'd obviously prefer obtaining of those SGs available, so if we do grab him, I'm thinking do we ship off Marion for a 2-guard? Because I don't want to go into next season with Chuckyfino (or worse AP) as a starter. We'll see...
Canuck9
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#26 » by Canuck9 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:38 pm

_venom_ wrote:

and you can never have too many guys on your club named Earl.

If we could get Earl Watson and maybe sign Acie Earl as a big man coach we would be set.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,904

Post#27 » by deeps6x » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 pm

I'm on the Clark bandwagon as well. If losing Bosh after the draft is a possibility - and IT IS - then getting Clark as a player who can play the 3/4 positions is a bit of insurance. We might not have Bosh or Marion at the start of next season, so having Clark able to play both of these positions would be a bonus. I don't remember the exact timeline but I think BC has to wait at least two weeks after the draft to even start contract talks with Bosh. I have no idea about when BC can start to talk with Marion.

Bosh is a player who we know (from the olympics) can play defense, but with this team he focuses mostly on offense (which stuffs the stats and earns the big $$$ - so it is understandable that he does this). But Clark, is a defense first player. That is where most of his energy in a game goes. That is why some posters claim he 'disappears' in games for stretches. He isn't a stat stuffer.

On the positive side, he does seem to be very gifted offensively. If he applied himself to that a bit more, well, his ceiling as an NBA player is very high. He has the size, the frame to add muscle, the talent and the ability to play both ends of the court.

I see him as a player that could be great at the 3 or the 4 positions. I think with our uncertain roster going forward, if Clark is available when we are picking at 9, 10, 11 or 12, BC will grab him.

Some other players (like Derozan, Harding, etc) may have a higher ceiling as players, but for next season, Clark is the better player. Plus, the others are just potential. Crapshoots really. Clark is Made for the NBA. He will be a player. Will he be an all star? Who knows. I do know he will last longer than some of the 19 yr old 'prospects' some other people are pushing for with our pick.

My two bits.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Gruel
Senior
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Gruel » Thu May 14, 2009 4:45 pm

Who's Harding? Do you mean Harden... becaue his ceiling is much higher than Clarks.
Marvin!
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 806

Post#29 » by Marvin! » Thu May 14, 2009 6:07 pm

I like Clark, and have been on the draft Clark and Terrence idea for quite awhile. He's a higher risk factor than some, but if the team thinks he's got a higher ceiling, i don't want to see them drafting a SG just because they are a SG. Toronto needs more overall talent, and if that means Clark you take Clark and work out positions later.

He addresses a number of weaknesses - defense, rebounding, athleticism, the ability to create his own shot and much more. On the skill to size ratio idea he's very high up (which BC's has admitted to look for). The 'soft' label scares me a little, but not enough to not be interested.

For those that have seen more of both players than I have, how do you figure he compares to everyone's latest wetdream - A. Randolph in GSW?!?
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#30 » by Anatomize » Thu May 14, 2009 6:40 pm

_venom_ wrote:
TiKusDom wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:Sounds like the type of player I typically like eg. Lamar Odom, but I don't think the Raps should pass on the SG prospects out there, especially if Clark is deemed a softie. We are not in the cottonelle business any more, we are looking for sandpaper.

Yeah thats exactly why I think T-Will is ahead of Clark on the Raptors draft board. Hes tough and ready to get in peoples grills, intense defensively and is a natural born leader. Plays with great fire . The kid is a natural born leader. He wants to mix it up, he loves the contact , the more he gets the more he wants. Plus he would fill our sg/sf needs, which this team needs a lot more, than a sf/pf type. We already got good PFs.

You never draft for need, you draft best player available and Clark is a much more intriguing prospect than Williams. If Derozan/Harden/Evans are gone at our pick I wouldn't hesitate to grab Earl Clark. We need more talent in general.

This is silly.. refer to the Terrence Williams thread to see the exact same argument made by other posters..
_venom_
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by _venom_ » Thu May 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Anatomize wrote:This is silly.. refer to the Terrence Williams thread to see the exact same argument made by other posters..

I don't care what other people are saying, Terrence Williams should NOT be considered with a top 10 pick in this draft, period. Williams would be a nice pick in the 14-20 range but at our pick I wouldn't even think about him.

We also don't even know if Marion is coming back so why are people assuming that our SF position is locked up for next season? Clark has a better first step than both Harden and Derozan and should be able to create his own shot better than both of them at the next level. I think people are a little too dead set on drafting a SG when we really have to fill both wing spots. You can have a star wing ant the SF position (Granger, Pierce, Anthony) with a role player at the SG position just as much as you ca have a star SG with a role player at SF.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#32 » by Anatomize » Thu May 14, 2009 6:46 pm

_venom_ wrote:

Again, you draft the BPA at a position you need!

If it is a Blake Griffin, it's understandable, but at that 9th pick of the draft where the drop off between the players is marginal, you can fill gaps in your team.

I like Earl Clark, but he would most likely play PF in the NBA to outmatch other PFs (just like Odom for the Lakers, Rashard for the Magic), he wouldn't have that same advantage over all the incredible SFs in the NBA.

We already have an allstar PF, with some mediocore backups, we're sorely lacking at the wing position (specifically SG, if we resign Marion). Nabbing a tenacious player with heart, intangibles, defense, and an improving playmaker/shooter is what we need at our SG spot. We can fill a need with an excellent player who can contribute immediately, without having to overspend.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#33 » by Anatomize » Thu May 14, 2009 6:46 pm

_venom_ wrote:
Anatomize wrote:This is silly.. refer to the Terrence Williams thread to see the exact same argument made by other posters..

I don't care what other people are saying, Terrence Williams should NOT be considered with a top 10 pick in this draft, period. Williams would be a nice pick in the 14-20 range but at our pick I wouldn't even think about him.

We also don't even know if Marion is coming back so why are people assuming that our SF position is locked up for next season?

Why do you assume that Earl Clark will play SF?
_venom_
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by _venom_ » Thu May 14, 2009 6:48 pm

Anatomize wrote:
_venom_ wrote:

We also don't even know if Marion is coming back so why are people assuming that our SF position is locked up for next season?

Why do you assume that Earl Clark will play SF?

He will be able to play both SF and PF at the next level. His first step is quick enough to play SF and he has the length to play PF. I think people are way too worried about positions.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#35 » by Anatomize » Thu May 14, 2009 6:58 pm

People aren't too worried about positions? we would have to see how he matches up against other SFs in the league. Andrea can play SF too, that doesn't mean he presents a mismatch.

IF Marion doesn't resign, it's more than plausible we would take him, but with such a high upside guy in a limited draft, he may not even be available when our pick comes around.

There are so many questions for us heading into this draft, it's really hard to say what Colangelo is looking for. In his interviews, he makes clear our deficiencies, but on the Fan590 a few nights ago, he claimed to be interested in players in this draft who can play multiple positions, create offense, play tenacious defense and guard multiple positions.

This would mainly leave us with the few players which have been discussed to death here the past few days.

Evans/DeRozan/Clark/T-Will
_venom_
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by _venom_ » Thu May 14, 2009 7:00 pm

Anatomize wrote:People aren't too worried about positions? we would have to see how he matches up against other SFs in the league. Andrea can play SF too, that doesn't mean he presents a mismatch.

IF Marion doesn't resign, it's more than plausible we would take him, but with such a high upside guy in a limited draft, he may not even be available when our pick comes around.

There are so many questions for us heading into this draft, it's really hard to say what Colangelo is looking for. In his interviews, he makes clear our deficiencies, but on the Fan590 a few nights ago, he claimed to be interested in players in this draft who can play multiple positions, create offense, play tenacious defense and guard multiple positions.

This would mainly leave us with the few players which have been discussed to death here the past few days.

Oh I know that. I don't see Clark being available at number 9 after workouts are done. However what I'm arguing is that if we pick Williams over Clark just because he fills a need then that would be stupid. I'd love to see us grab both Clark and Williams if possible but it's not going to happen.

And also everything BC describes is what Clark is. He can play multiple positions, is a matchup nightmare, plays good defense, can create his own offense, is a good passer, etc...
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#37 » by Anatomize » Thu May 14, 2009 7:06 pm

_venom_ wrote:
Anatomize wrote:People aren't too worried about positions? we would have to see how he matches up against other SFs in the league. Andrea can play SF too, that doesn't mean he presents a mismatch.

Oh I know that. I don't see Clark being available at number 9 after workouts are done. However what I'm arguing is that if we pick Williams over Clark just because he fills a need then that would be stupid. I'd love to see us grab both Clark and Williams if possible but it's not going to happen.

And also everything BC describes is what Clark is. He can play multiple positions, is a matchup nightmare, plays good defense, can create his own offense, is a good passer, etc...

If Delfino comes back, I would love it, but we don't have the pieces (nor the salary cap space) to grab a solid free agent SG, so if Marion stays, and Delfino is here, what role do we fill? do we still take Clark and hinder his development for a few years using him mainly as a bench option?

You discussed Augustin's rookie season, Augustin is one who's development was hindered by the arrival of Raja Bell, and before that, Jason Richardson, the only time he was able to play consistently well is when one of their players was injured.

Unlike many, I don't believe in the idea of "this is where the guy should be picked" based on the consensus. We don't get to see the pre draft workouts and how these guys measure up against competition, this is in part, why Brook Lopez's stock dropped dramatically. During the draft, I compared Brook Lopez to Tim Duncan in some ways, their mobility, post up game, and overall influence on the game reminded me of each other. While I pointed this out, many people vehemently disagreed, and said he will be a bust. Many teams with a need at C could have taken Brook Lopez and slid back some of their guys into their original PF positions.

I don't want to miss out on a guy who can help us at a position we're desperately hurting in (and still presents considerable upside), because we want to draft a higher upside guy at a position we may already have.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,578

Post#38 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Clark definitely reminds me of Charlie Villaneuva. With that said, with the 9th pick in this draft you definitely take that. Especially with the chance of his effort/ethic being higher than Charlie's, who's one of the more naturally talented players in the league
_venom_
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by _venom_ » Thu May 14, 2009 7:40 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Clark definitely reminds me of Charlie Villaneuva. With that said, with the 9th pick in this draft you definitely take that. Especially with the chance of his effort/ethic being higher than Charlie's, who's one of the more naturally talented players in the league

Charlie Villanueva with better defense and a better first step...

I don't know why Clark is being projected out as a PF in the NBA. He has the skills of a pure SF and his post game is not good. Sure he'd have a quickness advantage at PF much like Bosh but he is too good of a ball handler, creator, and midrange jumpshooter to be a PF in the NBA.
_venom_
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by _venom_ » Thu May 14, 2009 7:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hb2k_6T4qw

Where in these highlights does anyone see an NBA PF? He is a long SF. He's as long as Tayshaun Prince or Marvin Williams are and they both have no problems playing SF in the NBA.

His shot will be unblockable at the next level with other SFs guarding him.

Return to Toronto Raptors