ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Gerald Henderson

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Draft Countdown: Gerald Henderson 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Gerald Henderson
Shooting Guard (Rank: #17) | 6-4, 215 | Age: 21
Duke (Junior)

Positives:
•Versatile 2-guard can do just about everything well.
•Plays the game very smoothly.
•He's a great athlete, has NBA strength
•Has a very consistent midrange jump shot
•Is quick enough to take his man off the dribble
•Strong enough to post up guys
•Excellent rebounder for a guard
•Good basketball IQ
•Excellent perimeter defender

Negatives:
•Needs to increase his range on his jump shot
•Still not a consistent 3-point threat
•A bit undersized for his position
•Very inconsistent for his first two years at Duke

Topics of discussion:
- Where does he rank among the other available SGs?
- We need a perimeter defender, no?
- How high will he go?
- Player comparison
etc.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Re: Draft Countdown: Gerald Henderson 

Post#2 » by Pchu » Fri May 15, 2009 2:52 pm

My first thought of him is Shane Battier. But he is much shorter, and more athletic. I am not convince about him though, he seems to have problems creating his own shots especially when Duke needs someone to step up. He is good defensively, and if he can learn to hit 3 pointers then he will be in the league for a long time.

Maybe a more athletic Bruce Bowen.
DonkeyPunch
Junior
And1: 56

Post#3 » by DonkeyPunch » Fri May 15, 2009 2:57 pm

9 is a stretch but if you can get a teens pick you try to grab Henderson or T Williams.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." Conan
7_ace_7
Senior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by 7_ace_7 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:58 pm

DonkeyPunch wrote:9 is a stretch but if you can get a teens pick you try to grab Henderson or T Williams.

I would agree. If his defence is as good as people say (I haven't seen much college ball this year) then he would be a great pick up. I am no to concerned about bringing in a scorer, we have Bosh and Bargs and if Jose is aggresive it would be great. We need some guys to get down and dirty and play some defence.
DonkeyPunch
Junior
And1: 56

Post#5 » by DonkeyPunch » Fri May 15, 2009 3:02 pm

7_ace_7 wrote:
DonkeyPunch wrote:9 is a stretch but if you can get a teens pick you try to grab Henderson or T Williams.

I would agree. If his defence is as good as people say (I haven't seen much college ball this year) then he would be a great pick up. I am no to concerned about bringing in a scorer, we have Bosh and Bargs and if Jose is aggresive it would be great. We need some guys to get down and dirty and play some defence.

I get the vibe thats what management feels. A backup point guard that can score and get in the paint, a couple perimter defenders that can shoot reasonably well, and a resigned Marion or replacement such as Deng that can defend and rebound, and that will be our team next year with the present core.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." Conan
dennistokyo
Pro Prospect
And1: 75

Post#6 » by dennistokyo » Fri May 15, 2009 3:06 pm

If he can defend and has BBIQ, take him at 9.
7_ace_7
Senior
And1: 0

Post#7 » by 7_ace_7 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:11 pm

DonkeyPunch wrote:
7_ace_7 wrote:

I get the vibe thats what management feels. A backup point guard that can score and get in the paint, a couple perimter defenders that can shoot reasonably well, and a resigned Marion or replacement such as Deng that can defend and rebound, and that will be our team next year with the present core.

I personally would not mind that line up at all. With AP leading the bench, and hopefully an addition to our bench, I think the raptors can be very strong
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#8 » by EventHorizon » Fri May 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Pass.
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

Post#9 » by rapsrealm » Fri May 15, 2009 3:54 pm

I've stated this before but I actually like him. I think a lot of people are overlooking him and I think he could be one of those players that will end up surprising people. He won't be an impact player in this league but honestly outside of the top 5 players I don't think anyone else will either. I think he's a safe player who will be a glue guy that every team needs. I think he would be a good complement to Calderon and provide the perimeter defense we're in need of.
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#10 » by Test of Wills » Fri May 15, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm not a fan of Henderson's game. He's an inconsistent player. And his role in this league will not be higher than a role-player IMO.

As you may see, he doesn't have overwhelming stats. Henderson won't be bad at anything, but he won't be great at anything either. His scoring rate is decent, but he doesn't look like a go-to guy. He won't be super-efficient either. His rebounding, assists, steals, turnovers, and foul numbers are all just average.

However, there is one potential positive. Even if his offense isn't dominant, he can certainly find a place in the league if he becomes a lockdown defender.

I know many of us here are looking for a scorer/defender, someone who has potential. At 9 he's a big stretch but in the late teens to early 20's, I think that's where he fits.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#11 » by Anatomize » Fri May 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Shorter RJ
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#12 » by Southward1 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:58 pm

-He's going to be a good player in the NBA
-He might make the occasional all-defensive team
-He's a borderline starter in the league right now
-yes I would take him if Derozan and Evans are already gone
-15ppg is probably his peak, but scoring is not all he brings
-I say worst case is just an aggressive defender type like Trenton Hassell
-Best case is a player like Kerry Kittles the athletic shooting guard for the nets during the peak kidd years.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#13 » by Anatomize » Fri May 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Southward1 wrote:-He's going to be a good player in the NBA
-He might make the occasional all-defensive team
-He's a borderline starter in the league right now
-yes I would take him if Derozan and Evans are already gone
-15ppg is probably his peak, but scoring is not all he brings
-I say worst case is just an aggressive defender type like Trenton Hassell
-Best case is a player like Kerry Kittles the athletic shooting guard for the nets during the peak kidd years.

We're really missing intangibles, defensive, glue type players right now with a tad of offensive flair.

This is why I've been so high on Terrence Williams, people look at Iguodala in hindsight as if he was a very highly touted prospect during the draft. Iguodala had many of the same faults Terrence Williams did, he was mainly an inconsistent shooter who thrived on the fast break, but his hard work ethic and insane athleticism has taken him to new levels, both are good passers, and both were at about the same skill level coming into the NBA. Both are very good defensively, and bring a lot of tenacity and heart, we have to land this guy somehow.

I like Gerald Henderson as well, but he's a bit undersized for me.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#14 » by 5DOM » Fri May 15, 2009 6:52 pm

Anatomize wrote:This is why I've been so high on Terrence Williams, people look at Iguodala in hindsight as if he was a very highly touted prospect during the draft. Iguodala had many of the same faults Terrence Williams did, he was mainly an inconsistent shooter who thrived on the fast break, but his hard work ethic and insane athleticism has taken him to new levels, both are good passers, and both were at about the same skill level coming into the NBA. Both are very good defensively, and bring a lot of tenacity and heart, we have to land this guy somehow.

Iguodala WAS highly touted prospect.
Unlike William, Iguodala had the size and he was only a sophomore when he came out.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind Williams with a purchased pick.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#15 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Athletic, smart, good at everything, and exactly the type of defensive asset this team needs to change its culture around. Pick Henderson

The "his ceiling is AP" type attitude is wrong. May I repeat, he's athletic, smart, and good at everything. That is a very good place to start. People talk about taking the next Roy or Granger all the time... well if you look at the role player label on those two coming out of college and the reasons why, Henderson is an absolute dead ringer. Now I'm not saying he'll end up like them... he could just be a good 10ppg defensive role player or a Raja Bell type. Which is still very valuable. But just saying it's not like he has no upside. I mean it's not like Derozan gaining all the skills to be a star from nothing isn't also a MAJOR stretch.

And yes, he's a safe bet to be at least a solid player. What's wrong with safe? Nobody will be laughing about this is Henderson is Raja Bell and Derozan is Joey Graham or Joe Alexander. Safe is a good thing. Busts suck. We should know that.

He also played in a Duke system that didn't fit his strengths at all and should be able to add the 3 point shot once he hits the NBA.

VOTE HENDERSON
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#16 » by Anatomize » Fri May 15, 2009 7:08 pm

5DOM wrote:
Anatomize wrote:This is why I've been so high on Terrence Williams, people look at Iguodala in hindsight as if he was a very highly touted prospect during the draft. Iguodala had many of the same faults Terrence Williams did, he was mainly an inconsistent shooter who thrived on the fast break, but his hard work ethic and insane athleticism has taken him to new levels, both are good passers, and both were at about the same skill level coming into the NBA. Both are very good defensively, and bring a lot of tenacity and heart, we have to land this guy somehow.

Unlike William, Iguodala had the size and he was only a sophomore when he came out.

Williams is 6'6, Iguodala is 6'6.

Iguodala was said to be an athletic player who couldn't shoot well from the perimeter, which is why quite a few teams didn't pick him within the top 10.

Iguodala is where he is now because he worked hard, Iguodala was a good prospect, but teams still passed up on him, I'm simply making a connection between the two players similarities.

Unlike Williams, he had the size? I think you need to take another look at Williams body my friend.

That's an NBA body for a college player.

- Iguodala looking much smaller than he does now.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#17 » by Anatomize » Fri May 15, 2009 7:17 pm

5DOM wrote:

To Further support my points:

Rookie season

Iguodala was selected 9th overall in the 2004 NBA Draft by the Philadelphia 76ers. When Iguodala was selected, ESPN personality Dick Vitale commented that it was a mistake for the Sixers to take him, saying "Iguodala was a [27 percent] shooter from the college three-point line. He's not going to be able to play," Iguodala used this as motivation as what proved to be a very productive rookie season.[1] Iguodala was thrust into the starting lineup immediately during his rookie season and was the only 76er to play and start all 82 regular season games plus 5 playoff games. Andre Iguodala proved his versatility as he was the only rookie and 76er to record a triple-double that season, averaging 9 points, 5.7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1.7 steals per game. His efforts were rewarded when he was named to the All-Rookie First Team and started on the rookie team during the Rookie Challenge portion of All-Star Weekend. He also competed in the Slam Dunk Contest and finished second to Nate Robinson.

Everyone forgets, but again, this guy was NOT what he is today, and Terrence Williams won't be what he is now, either. They have EXACTLY the same upside coming out of college, similar body characteristics, and the same strengths/flaws.

Watching Iguodala in his first year, he had a hard time putting the ball on the floor consistently, he was thriving on making defensive plays and running out on the fast break, he would occasionally hit some mid range catch and shoot jumpers off AI's penetration. Since AI left, Iguodala had a chance to morph himself into a complete offensive player, I don't suspect T-Will will have the exact same opportunity, but we cant pass on a guy who presents many of the same aspects in his game.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by 5DOM » Fri May 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Terrence looked 6'4"-5" ish. Sorry about that, but I still think he plays more like an undersized 3 than 2.
Also you talk about work ethic, but how am I supposed to believe Terrence Williams has it when he still can't shoot a freakin' FT after 4 years of college.
And again, Iguodala was a highly touted prospect. Consensus 8-9th pick which we blew.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#19 » by Anatomize » Fri May 15, 2009 7:23 pm

5DOM wrote:Terrence looked 6'4"-5" ish. Sorry about that, but I still think he plays more like an undersized 3 than 2.
Also you talk about work ethic, but how am I supposed to believe Terrence Williams has it when he still can't shoot a freakin' FT after 4 years of college.
And again, Iguodala was a highly touted prospect. Consensus 8-9th pick which we blew.

Everyone in the draft is a prospect, my point was to say teams passed up on him because of his apparent flaws (shooting), but their games are VERY similar.

If you don't believe me, watch this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXFhUWQ38H8

He fits VERY well into our system, we need an SG to defend, create scoring chances, pass, and shoot 3/mid range, and he appears to be a winner.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by 5DOM » Fri May 15, 2009 7:24 pm

Oh no doubt.
I love that he can defend and rebound. Would like him with a purchased pick.

Return to Toronto Raptors