ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Gerald Henderson

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Re: Draft Countdown: Gerald Henderson 

Post#21 » by sh00n » Fri May 15, 2009 7:28 pm

Would rather have T-Will every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'll puke if we end up with only Gerald Henderson in this draft.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#22 » by Anatomize » Fri May 15, 2009 7:29 pm

wow, that left hand alley oop in the vid is **** bananas
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#23 » by Anatomize » Fri May 15, 2009 7:33 pm

sh00n wrote:Would rather have T-Will every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'll puke if we end up with only Gerald Henderson in this draft.

I agree, I'm actually higher on this guy than the other players in the draft, I just see Iguodala all over again.

Check out Iguodala's rookie stats :

9 points, 5.7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1.7 steals per game.

This is eerily similar to the categories Williams contributes in at college.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/ga ... erId=27275

those are some ridiculous rebounds/assists/steals #s.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#24 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 15, 2009 7:50 pm

The thing is Iggy's sophmore stats were as good as Williams' senior ones. His shot 45% in his second year, Williams shot 36%. Williams only shooting 43% in his senior year isn't a great sign.

I wouldn't count on Williams having offensive potential. I know that sounds hypocritical from the guy saying Henderson's upside is being underrated, but yeah... T Will is going to be really ugly on that side of the floor. If you've been in college for 4 years and still can't shoot, finish at the rim, or go off the dribble as bad as he does, you have trouble. If you're drafting him you look for defence/passing/intangibles but not a potential scorer at all. He's definitely not the prospect Iggy was... Iggy went #9, would've been #8 if we weren't stupid. T Will will be around #15 in a horrible draft, meaning out of the top 20 in a regular one.

Offensively the best you can ask for in T Will is probably like 10ppg, or an Ariza level
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#25 » by Anatomize » Fri May 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:The thing is Iggy's sophmore stats were as good as Williams' senior ones. His shot 45% in his second year, Williams shot 36%. Williams only shooting 43% in his senior year isn't a great sign.

I wouldn't count on Williams having offensive potential. I know that sounds hypocritical from the guy saying Henderson's upside is being underrated, but yeah... T Will is going to be really ugly on that side of the floor. If you've been in college for 4 years and still can't shoot, finish at the rim, or go off the dribble as bad as he does, you have trouble. If you're drafting him you look for defence/passing/intangibles but not a potential scorer at all. He's definitely not the prospect Iggy was... Iggy went #9, would've been #8 if we weren't stupid. T Will will be around #15 in a horrible draft, meaning out of the top 20 in a regular one.

His shooting %'s may not be sky high, but he's only turning 22.. I don't see this obsession with 'seniority'

We have some of the best pure shooters in the league, I'm certain he could learn quite a bit at the NBA level.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#26 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 15, 2009 8:01 pm

It's not so much the age, as much that he's been in college for 4 years played major minutes and still hasn't improved. If he was going to have offensive skill like Iggy, he would've shown any sign of it by now. It's the opposite of Derozan, who's around Williams level offensively but at least is a 19 year old freshman who hasn't had the time to prove whether he will or will not pick those things up.

It's the equivalent of players in the NBA. If a highly touted rookie looks meek on the floor, well it's early and he'll have time to learn and get better. If he's 4 years in and still sucks, it's not going to happen. In this case Williams looks very good defensively and in intangibles, but his offensive skill is awful, awful, awful, and considering he's been in college 4 years it almost surely won't jump to Iggy level once he hits the NBA

It's sort of like how Joey was in school 5 years but still had horrible perimeter skills and no long range shooting. After that long it should've been obvious to us that after this long, those things just weren't going to magically happen for him. They didn't.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#27 » by Undefeated » Fri May 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:The thing is Iggy's sophmore stats were as good as Williams' senior ones. His shot 45% in his second year, Williams shot 36%. Williams only shooting 43% in his senior year isn't a great sign.

Iguodala is a much better shooter than Williams no doubt. Obviously, Iggy's FG% during college is better since he took less shots (10.1) compare to Williams (12.7) during their sophomore year. Let's say if Iggy was to take 13 shots per game, his FG% would be more like 40%-42%. Nonetheless, pretty close to Williams…

I think it's clear that whoever brings in T-Will will be looking for defense not offense. I don’t know, but T-Will can hit the three which our team likes to do… If you want a kid who knows how to play defense and offense, go after Jrue Holiday.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
MacDaddy
RealGM
And1: 428

Post#28 » by MacDaddy » Fri May 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Athletic, smart, good at everything, and exactly the type of defensive asset this team needs to change its culture around. Pick Henderson

The "his ceiling is AP" type attitude is wrong. May I repeat, he's athletic, smart, and good at everything. That is a very good place to start. People talk about taking the next Roy or Granger all the time... well if you look at the role player label on those two coming out of college and the reasons why, Henderson is an absolute dead ringer. Now I'm not saying he'll end up like them... he could just be a good 10ppg defensive role player or a Raja Bell type. Which is still very valuable. But just saying it's not like he has no upside. I mean it's not like Derozan gaining all the skills to be a star from nothing isn't also a MAJOR stretch.

And yes, he's a safe bet to be at least a solid player. What's wrong with safe? Nobody will be laughing about this is Henderson is Raja Bell and Derozan is Joey Graham or Joe Alexander. Safe is a good thing. Busts suck. We should know that.

He also played in a Duke system that didn't fit his strengths at all and should be able to add the 3 point shot once he hits the NBA.

VOTE HENDERSON

On the other hand Michael Bradley was a "safe" pick.
TCHOKE
Head Coach
And1: 312

Post#29 » by TCHOKE » Fri May 15, 2009 8:39 pm

i like henderson as well, he reminds me of a kendall gill type player
A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Post#30 » by A_wildstabatanything » Fri May 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Safe is death. Say no to Gerald Henderson.
Stacks
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Stacks » Fri May 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Everything in the scouting report seems to fit our needs well. But I'm cautious about drafting Henderson based on a friend's assessment of him.

My friend is a die hard Duke fan. He watches every game. When I asked him about Henderson, his response was "he wouldn't be considered in the top ten would he? wow, this is a weak draft."

Asked to elaborate on why he didn't feel Henderson should be picked in the top ten, he responsed that Henderson is short for a two guard, can't shoot from any legitimate distance from the basket and that in his opinion, his ceiling isn't high.

I personally haven't seen Henderson play very much but when my homer friend gives a negative review of a Duke player I listen.
chimpston17
Sixth Man
And1: 644

Post#32 » by chimpston17 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Superr- G!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzPe2rZxSY

he looks pretty good here, looks like he can create a shot off the dribble, kinda AP-esque except younger and more athletic. I wouldnt mind him. Would like to see a playmaker that can break down the D with a dribble though and make plays for others, but maybe roko can develop into that with time. Henderson looks like a pretty solid wing though
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#33 » by _venom_ » Sat May 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Gerald Henderson = Courtney Lee with better athleticism. Henderson can be a very good role player on a good team, maybe even a borderline all-star if he develops his range and his handles. At 9 Henderson wouldn't be the worst pick ever, but I have him ranked below Harden, Derozan, and Evans as far as SGs go in this draft.
Kid Canada
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#34 » by Kid Canada » Sat May 16, 2009 9:09 pm

I am a die hard dukie and Gerald Henderson is not a top 15 pick. He would be an ok pick around 20 similar player to dahntey jones who went 20th overall. He reminds me a bit of Shannon Brown but a little bit bigger and less ball handling.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,706

Post#35 » by DG88 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:10 pm

_venom_ wrote:Gerald Henderson = Courtney Lee with better athleticism. Henderson can be a very good role player on a good team, maybe even a borderline all-star if he develops his range and his handles. At 9 Henderson wouldn't be the worst pick ever, but I have him ranked below Harden, Derozan, and Evans as far as SGs go in this draft.

I was sort of thinking the same thing he's like Courtney Lee.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#36 » by DG88 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:11 pm

chimpston17 wrote:Superr- G!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzPe2rZxSY

he looks pretty good here, looks like he can create a shot off the dribble, kinda AP-esque except younger and more athletic. I wouldnt mind him. Would like to see a playmaker that can break down the D with a dribble though and make plays for others, but maybe roko can develop into that with time. Henderson looks like a pretty solid wing though

That dunk around 2:07 was nasty
mapko81
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Post#37 » by mapko81 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:15 pm

I like Gerald. His height is not ideal, but he is good enough of a defender to make up for it at the next level. I love his hops and body control when finishing. The Duke system stifled him a bit. At the very least he will be a nice rotational player in the NBA... but yeah, if Tyreke or Demar are still available, it would be hard to take him over them.
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

Post#38 » by rapsrealm » Sat May 16, 2009 9:17 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Athletic, smart, good at everything, and exactly the type of defensive asset this team needs to change its culture around. Pick Henderson

The "his ceiling is AP" type attitude is wrong. May I repeat, he's athletic, smart, and good at everything. That is a very good place to start. People talk about taking the next Roy or Granger all the time... well if you look at the role player label on those two coming out of college and the reasons why, Henderson is an absolute dead ringer. Now I'm not saying he'll end up like them... he could just be a good 10ppg defensive role player or a Raja Bell type. Which is still very valuable. But just saying it's not like he has no upside. I mean it's not like Derozan gaining all the skills to be a star from nothing isn't also a MAJOR stretch.

And yes, he's a safe bet to be at least a solid player. What's wrong with safe? Nobody will be laughing about this is Henderson is Raja Bell and Derozan is Joey Graham or Joe Alexander. Safe is a good thing. Busts suck. We should know that.

He also played in a Duke system that didn't fit his strengths at all and should be able to add the 3 point shot once he hits the NBA.

VOTE HENDERSON

+1
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,334

I'd draft Gerald Henderson 

Post#39 » by XTC » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:12 pm

People are going to say he's older then everyone else(He's ONLY 21!!!), but that's not even the point. I don't even look at it that way, I look at it that he's a very polished player with potential. He is far more polished then maybe any shooting guard in the draft. He has made improvements every year he was in college. He has a nice pull up mid range game, one of the best athletes in the draft. a very nice defender, and range up NBA 3. Probably the second most polished SG in this draft after Harden

People got caught in the prospects with so called "potential" but Gerald Henderson also has potential. Why are people so caught up in freshman? Aren't people saying it's wise for Derozan to stay in college and work on his game? Yet you don't want to draft a guy who stayed in college worked on his game? Why does staying in college affect his potential? You can't tell me that someone of his calbre, can't become a star in this league, because I honestly feel Gerald Henderson will be a very good starter in the NBA, who I can see becoming a reliable 2nd option. He is really athletic, and he has a jumpshot. Derozan is an athlete, but has no jump shot, Evans probably has the most inconsistent jumpshot in the draft. When he's on, he will torch you, when he's off, you're going to blow your head off.

People really underrate him, and I think whoever picks him up, is going to be really happy. I know a highlight package isn't how to showcase a player, but this will show you a little bit of what Gerald Henderson is. So you're going to tell me that a 21 year old player who improved every year, has a polished game,has as much athleticism as he does, has no potential? He still has so much room to grow as a player.

Total package
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hehZQdVbG9I

Henderson best dunks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikv-3KoXW_U
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Re: I'd draft Gerald Henderson 

Post#40 » by DG88 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:23 pm

His stats from the combine are pretty good. I wouldn't mind taking him at all, I've said it a few time here. I'd rather DeRozan first, if we can't get him then I'd look at Jonny Flynn and Gerald Henderson.

Return to Toronto Raptors