ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Gerald Henderson

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Re: I'd draft Gerald Henderson 

Post#61 » by Hypz » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Get er done BC.
Mad Balla 15
RealGM
And1: 1,930

Post#62 » by Mad Balla 15 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:42 pm

dagger wrote:
augustine wrote: We need to win now.

Now that's a recipe for disaster. We had to keep Vince happy so we drafted Hoffa to plug a hole at C. When lottery teams base a pick on "win now", it will blow up in their face. If we really, truly need to win now, trade the pick for a proven vet. Otherwise, you have to take a 2-3 year time development frame.

Lol I highly doubt Vince wanted the Raptors to draft Araujo. It was no coincidence that a couple of weeks after the draft that he demanded a trade. He saw the organization was going downhill.

I do agree with your premise though, that it's the recipe for disaster.
lemondrop
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#63 » by lemondrop » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:03 pm

dagger wrote:
augustine wrote: We need to win now.

Now that's a recipe for disaster. We had to keep Vince happy so we drafted Hoffa to plug a hole at C. When lottery teams base a pick on "win now", it will blow up in their face. If we really, truly need to win now, trade the pick for a proven vet. Otherwise, you have to take a 2-3 year time development frame.

Unless you live under a rock you have seen and heard that Bryan Colangelo wants to win now, so if your calling what the poster says a disaster well then you are calling what the the entire raptors organization is doing a disaster.

What truly is a disaster imo is drafting raw immature kids who are not ready to play nor are they ready to deal with the limelight, money and pressures of the NBA. On top of all that we are notorious for having players wanting to leave us here in Canada, I do not see Toronto as being a place you draft punkass kids to watch them develop for 2-4 years and then watch them leave once they finally become relevant.

Unless your a Lebron james or Kobe bryant you have to be the biggest moron alive to draft a raw mentally unprepared kid who has shown nothing to date to deserve his status. In a good draft for example kids like Derozan wouldn't be top 15 and that would of made his decision easier to stay in school where he belongs, this kid is basically using this weak draft to his advantage at the advise of people who care nothing about his career.

I think Henderson is going to be a solid above avg role player but never will reach star status, athletic and a good defender but avg in many other fields. I would give him serious consideration in this weak draft over guys like Derozan and Holiday.

This notion that if you enter the NBA past 19-20 your never going to be worth anything is complete garbage, most of the all time great NBA players over the history of the NBA never entered the NBA until they were 20-22.

Its important to know that we are not rebuilding we are trying to win now, wether you agree with that or not is up to you but as it stands now we are trying to win so drafting a raw kid is stupid.
ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Post#64 » by ZeriousLy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:10 pm

^^^^ Last year's draft proves you wrong.

-Rose
-Beasley
-Kevin Love
-OJ Mayo
-Eric Gordon
-Russel Westbrook
-Anthony Randolph
-Donte Greene
-Jason Thompson
Kid Canada
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#65 » by Kid Canada » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:12 pm

I would draft him if Evans is gone.
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#66 » by lemondrop » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:22 pm

ZeriousLy wrote:^^^^ Last year's draft proves you wrong.

-Rose
-Beasley
-Kevin Love
-OJ Mayo
-Eric Gordon
-Russel Westbrook
-Anthony Randolph
-Donte Greene
-Jason Thompson

Last years draft is not this year, infact it is known for one fo the rarest ever and not expected to happen again for a few years. Its amazing to me how one good draft for a ceetain age group can change the mindset of everyone watching. Samething happened with high schoolers when stars like KG. Lebron, Kobe were taken and turned into stars. Not everyone is Kobe because they can run and jump and not every freshman is Rose.

This years draft is nothing like last years and Demar Derozan is nothing like Rose and Mayo or even Love or Beasley, guys like Derozan bring you absolutely NOTHING on day one.

History proves me right, those who enter the NBA at 20-22 can become hall of famers, short term history shows those who think every young punk is Kobe bryant likely end up with Gerald Green.
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#67 » by KingstonRaptors » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:36 pm

I've actually started to warm up to the idea of drafting Henderson (depending on who is left at the spot).
Credit to triplemke23 for the sig.
takingitall
Sophomore

Post#68 » by takingitall » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:38 pm

He reminds me of Grant Hill comming out of Duke. Great althletisism and a solid head on his shoulders. They have similar games.
Henderson is not as good as Hill but the similarities are there.
baller1069
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#69 » by baller1069 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Henderson's per 40 and 36 min stats are very, very similar to Hardens. I wouldn't mind taking him at all and think he would probably be a better pick then Derozan.
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#70 » by SpaceJam » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:02 pm

NetsForce wrote:He reminds me a bit of Brandon Rush. There are times when he seems too mechanical though...

Great comparison. Id take a Brandon Rush at #9...but not over Flynn or Evans.
_________
Jay_Rizzles27
Junior

Post#71 » by Jay_Rizzles27 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:06 pm

dagger wrote:
"Duke players are weak and are flops, Elton Brand, JJ Reddick, Dunleavy. Need i go on.

Do you realize how stupid that sounds? Elton Brand a flop?

And I'd trade the ninth pick for a healthy Dunleavy.

Do you serious believe that there is a superstar waiting for us at the 9th pick in an historically weak draft?

By the way, Grant Hill, Carlos Boozer, Shane and Corey Maggette are Duke grads too.

I may prefer Holiday or DeRozan to Henderson, but you have to have better reasons to justify their choice than slagging Duke players.

Ofcourse Brand is a flop what has he done, Youd trade the pick for Dunleavy if happy? Aloot of what ifs. I would Jason Williams in it too, but he had a motorcycle incident. Boozer is the last good player to come out of Duke.Just look in to the history of players drafted from Duke.
Jay_Rizzles27
Junior

Post#72 » by Jay_Rizzles27 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:10 pm

Gruel wrote:Brand has been as good as Bosh throughout his career. Dunleavy, before his knee injury, was throwing up 40 point games on a regular basis. There are other solid NBA players that also came outta Duke.

You talking in past tense, The facts are Dunleavys a flop, Brand is a flop. Why do you think Philly trying to trade him during the season . Who are solid players in the league right now outta of duke other than Boozer and Battier? Maggette, Reddick, drawing blanks here
Mirage
Freshman

Post#73 » by Mirage » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:24 pm

I like Henderson too. He looks like he'll be a plus defender in the NBA, with good basketball IQ, and these are two things that we desperately need in Toronto. I also think he has a decent amount of upside, considering how he is a good athlete, and has improved every year in college. There's a decent chance that he'll actually be the BPA at #9, and considering that he's a good fit, Henderson looks like a solid pick for us.
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,185

Post#74 » by realball » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:27 pm

He reminds me of Anthony Parker. He shoots like AP. His release is slow but he gets it off because he has a high release point and let's the ball go when he's the highest off the ground. And I think he has the same problems as AP: he has enough handles to take care of the ball and is a smart player, so he never turns it over. But he lacks explosiveness and doesn't have the handles to beat people off the dribble consistently.

Henderson is also mechanical, like AP, which puts DD in a class above him. Derozan may not have good handles, but he's a very smooth player who explodes past his man. Just because of that, Derozan has a higher chance of gaining a solid handle and becoming an effective slasher as compared to Henderson. I like Henderson, much more that T-Will, and if Derozan, Harden, or Evans are off the board, I wouldn't mind him drafting him at all. He will be a solid role-player and glue guy like AP or Duke alumni, Battier.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,725

Post#75 » by DG88 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Jay_Rizzles27 wrote:
Gruel wrote:Brand has been as good as Bosh throughout his career. Dunleavy, before his knee injury, was throwing up 40 point games on a regular basis. There are other solid NBA players that also came outta Duke.

You talking in past tense, The facts are Dunleavys a flop, Brand is a flop. Why do you think Philly trying to trade him during the season . Who are solid players in the league right now outta of duke other than Boozer and Battier? Maggette, Reddick, drawing blanks here

Umm realize that Philly was a running team before they got Brand. By adding him in it slowed them down, but they needed a power forward and Brand fit the bill. If a player is in the right system they can succeed.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,845

Post#76 » by Basketball_Jones » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:42 pm

I've definitely been warming up to him. He's a sleeper for sure. Looks like a younger Anthony Parker. Big hands, surprisingly athletic, smooth jumper, solid defender. I still like Terrence Williams over him though. As for Derozan, I'm not completely sold on him but wouldn't mind him drafted at 9 either.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,577

Post#77 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:51 pm

realball wrote:He reminds me of Anthony Parker. He shoots like AP. His release is slow but he gets it off because he has a high release point and let's the ball go when he's the highest off the ground. And I think he has the same problems as AP: he has enough handles to take care of the ball and is a smart player, so he never turns it over. But he lacks explosiveness and doesn't have the handles to beat people off the dribble consistently.

Henderson is also mechanical, like AP, which puts DD in a class above him. Derozan may not have good handles, but he's a very smooth player who explodes past his man. Just because of that, Derozan has a higher chance of gaining a solid handle and becoming an effective slasher as compared to Henderson. I like Henderson, much more that T-Will, and if Derozan, Harden, or Evans are off the board, I wouldn't mind him drafting him at all. He will be a solid role-player and glue guy like AP or Duke alumni, Battier.

You've clearly been misinformed... Henderson has a better first step and is more explosive off the dribble than Derozan... quite easily, actually.

Derozan is very explosive vertically, but mediocore horizontally off the dribble. I like the Jrich comparison as his upside for that reason, among other similarities between the two (6'6 SG, bad handles, weak bball IQ)

It blows my mind how people continue to treat Derozan's athleticism as on a different tier than Henderson's, or for that matter over Jennings, Williams, Clark, Flynn, Jennings, Budinger. Chase Budinger in particular is a dead ringer for Derozan athletically. Awesome leaper, not much explosiveness on the ground. He's not as a strong but otherwise that's it. But apparantley it's blasphemy to put Budinger's athleticism in the same stratosphere or universe as Derozan's...
Spartan13
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#78 » by Spartan13 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:04 pm

1) Harden
2) T-Will
3) Derozan
4) Henderson
5) Teague or Holiday
TCHOKE
Head Coach
And1: 312

Post#79 » by TCHOKE » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:38 am

i lke this guy but i dont get the hate for him...
and he isnt getting any hype at all
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,725

Post#80 » by DG88 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:39 am

TCHOKE wrote:i lke this guy but i dont get the hate for him...
and he isnt getting any hype at all

For most people it's because he's from duke. Henderson is a great prospect he wouldn't be bad here.

Return to Toronto Raptors