ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Gerald Henderson

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Re: I'd draft Gerald Henderson 

Post#81 » by basketball royalty » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:40 am

Sure I'd draft Henderson if our pick was later or if these guys were all gone by 9.
Harden, Evans, DeRozan, and TWill. The chances are very slim of that happening though.
props to Turbozone for the sig
mikero
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#82 » by mikero » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:56 am

Although I don't think he'll be an allstar or anything, Henderson is still a very good all around player. He actually reminds me a bit of Courtney Lee, a guy who was underrated in last years draft. He should be able to step in right away and be the starting two guard if we draft him.
deuce18
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#83 » by deuce18 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:03 am

J08 wrote:sh00n you think you know more about basketball then me because you posted more on a forum than me. you don't know jack about basketball.

+1
deuce18
Ballboy

Post#84 » by deuce18 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:16 am

Jay_Rizzles27 wrote:
Gruel wrote:Brand has been as good as Bosh throughout his career. Dunleavy, before his knee injury, was throwing up 40 point games on a regular basis. There are other solid NBA players that also came outta Duke.

You talking in past tense, The facts are Dunleavys a flop, Brand is a flop. Why do you think Philly trying to trade him during the season . Who are solid players in the league right now outta of duke other than Boozer and Battier? Maggette, Reddick, drawing blanks here

last time i checked not everyone in the league can be a star.

Dunleavy didnt live up to his potential as the #3 pick, but he is still a solid rotation player in the NBA, and that is all you can ask for at #9. I would take a player like, dunleavy, boozer, battier, maggette and brand at the #9 pick any year.

I am really starting to warm up to henderson basically because i dont trust Derozan and Holliday and I dont think we need to draft Flynn based on our PG depth errrrrrrrr roster depth at that position.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#85 » by sh00n » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:23 am

J08 wrote:sh00n you think you know more about basketball then me because you posted more on a forum than me. you don't know jack about basketball.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think - more posts = more knowledge! I have over 10k posts, so I automatically think I am a basketball guru. And just for the record, genius, my post was directed at XTC. Not at you. I guess you do learn more from posting a forum more than another person. At least I know "jack" in something. :lol:

And back to you, XTC: Gerald Henderson is going to be awful. He's the definition of average when it comes to an NBA player. He's not great at anything, hell he's not even that good at anything. He's just insanely athletic and that can only get you so far. I always think of Antoine Wright and Maurice Ager when I watch Henderson.

That being said, if we had a low 20's pick, I'd be all for it just for the basis of strengthening our bench on the wings. But no way in hell would I take him at 9th.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#86 » by sh00n » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:24 am

deuce18 wrote:

+1

:rofl:

How insightful. You're backing him talking about my post count when you're using a +1 to get up to your milestone 20 posts.

Oh, the ironing!
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
AP18Raptor
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#87 » by AP18Raptor » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:30 am

I totally agree with taking Henderson with the 9th pick. Simply loved watching him in college as he matured throughout his years at Duke. He's really a polished, all-around player with very underrated athleticism. In regards to drafting DeRozan, I also think he will be a project in the works as soon as he enter the NBA. In my opinion, he should've stayed an extra year in college to expand his game.

“...I just want to prove a lot of stuff. Like being one of the top players in this league, and keep getting better.” - DeMar DeRozan
deuce18
Ballboy

Post#88 » by deuce18 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:30 am

sh00n wrote:
deuce18 wrote:

+1

:rofl:

How insightful. You're backing him talking about my post count when you're using a +1 to get up to your milestone 20 posts.

Oh, the ironing!

oh the ironing????? you have to be kidding me right?

you just made a post about how you arent a genius just because you have posted over 10K times? yet your only defence to my post is bashing the fact that i have 20 posts??
wow.

Well seeing as i forgot my password to my other account, so i had to make a new one, i do have over 1600 posts in the last 6 years, so thanks bud.

keep having no life and posting 25 times a day.
postup
Sixth Man
And1: 267

Post#89 » by postup » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:34 am

I've always liked Henderson and never quite understood the general hate towards him. Probably a Duke thing...

If Evans is off the board (which he will be), I'd go with Henderson. Aside from the fact that he brings a bit of everything we need, he also fits the bill in terms of character, which is important to BC.

I'm not impressed with DeRozan.

Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,326

Post#90 » by Dalek » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:12 am

What is G?

Henderson is definitely my pick. Good pedigree having a dad in the NBA, great atheleticism and his IQ is very good. He will easily sub in for AP. I think he could be an under the radar guy that could be similar to Brandon Roy. Time will tell with him.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,524

Post#91 » by S.W.A.N » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:55 am

Henderson is my fall back guy. I would really like this guy to be a raptor, but I think there are going to be too many high risk/high reward players available ahead of him that will make it unlikely that we draft him.

I too think that he is not gettting the attention he deserves, especially after his combine.

I almost hope Hill falls to 9 and someone trades up to get hill....

Then we draft henderson with a 11-14 pick and get a steal.
We the North
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,566

Post#92 » by s e n s i » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:59 am

Please, not Henderson. Especially not at 9.

Though I can't predict who will be the among the best of this draft 5 years down the road, based on D1 games last year, Henderson has probably the least potential to become a star out of any wing slotted to go in the lottery. No "it" factor present. When advanced collegiate scouting in the big tourney broke down his game and funneled him to places on the floor he wasn't comfortable in, he was caught forcing jumpers left and right, laying brick in the process. Largely ineffective when his jumper wasn't falling, actually kind of invisible. The Antoine Wright comparison is pretty accurate. I see him closer to a Dahntay Jones with a steadier j though.

He can create space to free himself up for a jumper, but he's limited to that. Average to below-average ball handling skills, doesn't seem to play angles well, not very crafty with the ball. A lot of things we're looking for in a wing player. Ball handling and creating for others go hand-in-hand. What separates a good creator from a great one is their maneuverability with a basketball. Without this, you're looking at a career 6th or 7th man.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,359

Post#93 » by XTC » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:08 am

I think MANY are going to be surprised with Henderson. He instantly becomes a starter on this team. His offense is relaly underrated, some people are going to be really surprised.
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#94 » by s e n s i » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:21 am

XTC wrote:I think MANY are going to be surprised with Henderson. He instantly becomes a starter on this team. His offense is relaly underrated, some people are going to be really surprised.

Instantly? At shooting-guard? That's quite the conclusion. The guy is only an inch taller than Jose, would have to defend the the most talented position in the NBA every night. There is no way he could immediately hop on the floor and help the team win games. Delfino and AP, although still not great options at the 2 (very poor actually), are much more dependable on both ends of the floor.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,359

Post#95 » by XTC » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:28 am

chocolateSensi wrote:
XTC wrote:I think MANY are going to be surprised with Henderson. He instantly becomes a starter on this team. His offense is relaly underrated, some people are going to be really surprised.

Instantly? At shooting-guard? That's quite the conclusion. The guy is only an inch taller than Jose, would have to defend the the most talented position in the NBA every night. There is no way he could immediately hop on the floor and help the team win games. Delfino and AP, although still not great options at the 2 (very poor actually), are much more dependable on both ends of the floor.

Everyone has their own opinion, I've been following Henderson all year, and I think he isn't going to have much problems guarding the 2 spot. I think he may get abused this year by bigger 2's, but with expierence he will get better. Roy is 6-4 lets not forget, and he defends the position fine.
b0na f1de
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#96 » by b0na f1de » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:29 am

you know that fresh prince episode when they were at some car dealership and carlton was getting freaking excited about the most boring car there? that's what the raptors picking henderson would be like.
quilla_b
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#97 » by quilla_b » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:25 am

I'd seriously draft Gerald Henderson. Havent seen him play, but sounds like this guy is NBA ready as a consistent backup scorer and defender. I think with this weak draft, its difficult to imagine getting a super-star. Derozan has great hops but he's no Vince Carter. I'm not impressed with Derozan- he's very raw and will take time to develop. With that, guys in this board are right. BC wants to win now to keep Bosh in Toronto. It wouldn't make sense drafting Derozan.

I would consider drafting Derozan or Hill then trading down to get Henderson. Here's his DX report: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ger ... rson-1042/

I am also very interested in Omri Casspi

Here's the latest report from DX on Casspi vs Daye

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonath ... ap-Up-3259

Comments from observers in the gym:

“Austin Daye vs. Omri Casspi turned into a real wrestling match. Casspi just manhandled Daye, really threw him around. It was a bit disappointing to see how little Daye was able to compete from a strength perspective—Casspi is a kind of a skinny guy himself. At one point Casspi cut Daye’s lip open--he had to go to hospital for stitches. The Nets should have done a better job of getting someone to call fouls. Casspi was fouling the hell out of Daye. Some of the guys were looking at each other like ‘what are we watching here?’

Casspi was impressive, just like he’s been everywhere he’s gone. He plays hard, competes. He hit tough shots. Step-backs, runners. Then he missed some wide open J’s—go figure. He hits the toughest shots, but can’t always make the easiest ones. He looked like he could be a great complementary player in a 5 on 5. Definitely an atypical player for a European. “
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,578

Post#98 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:29 am

XTC wrote:
chocolateSensi wrote:

Everyone has their own opinion, I've been following Henderson all year, and I think he isn't going to have much problems guarding the 2 spot. I think he may get abused this year by bigger 2's, but with expierence he will get better. Roy is 6-4 lets not forget, and he defends the position fine.

He also has a 6'10 wingspan, more than big enough to guard NBA SGs. Combined with his lateral quickness and strength, I don't think his size will present a problem at all in the NBA
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#99 » by s e n s i » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:35 am

Oh, he'll be a decent defender on athleticism and will alone. Will he be an immediate fix in a starting line-up that could field better options in proven NBA players such as Delfino/AP? Likely not.

heemer
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#100 » by heemer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:32 am

Im pretty high on Henderson. He would be a solid pickup and would likely contribute more this season than any of our other options.

Return to Toronto Raptors