ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Ty Lawson

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Draft Countdown: Ty Lawson 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:05 am

Ty Lawson
Point Guard (Rank: #16) | 5-11, 195 | Age: 21
North Carolina (Junior)

Positives:
•Super-quick point guard
•Good athlete with explosive leaping ability
•Excellent penetrator and finisher around the basket
•Good court vision
•Solid perimeter shooter, though streaky
•Quick defender gets a lot of steals
•Keeps turnovers to a minimum

Negatives:
•Undersized for his position
•So-so free-throw shooter
•Lacks a real midrange game
•Streaky from the perimeter
•Not much of a scorer
•Can he play at more than one speed?

Topics of discussion:
- We desperately need a backup PG. Change of pace PG (very different from Calderon). Take him at #9?
- Ceiling / Player comparison
- etc.
BigShotBob13
Starter
And1: 297

Re: Draft Countdown: Ty Lawson 

Post#2 » by BigShotBob13 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:45 am

We do need a backup PG but would the draft solve the problem or create more? With the last thread talking about moving Roko to SG, maybe that would be an option. I wouldn't want it though because now we have our 1-2 positions being backed up by a rookie and 2nd year. Not a good recipe for success and our team can't afford to go through another "learning on the job year" at two major positions. It also leaves the AP question (resign, what position, etc) even more muddy. I really hope BC isn't leaning toward drafting a PG and just go draft what we need.
Formerly...Damn, I forgot who I was...
MinnyMo
Starter
And1: 34

Post#3 » by MinnyMo » Sun May 17, 2009 12:04 pm

We need a point gaurd like ty lawson. All you guys see how important super quick, tiny point gaurds are to there respective teams, like rondo and brooks. I'm not saying his 9 worthy but he is mid first round pick worthy.
Freeway
Pro Prospect
And1: 229

Post#4 » by Freeway » Sun May 17, 2009 12:26 pm

I love his game and demenor on the court. He is a baller and will have a successful career. I see him as a Jameer Nelson like guard in the near future
BigShotBob13
Starter
And1: 297

Post#5 » by BigShotBob13 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:40 pm

If we can get a mid/late 1st round pick, which BC seems to be implying he will do, then go for him. Is he worth a 9th pick when we have more glaring needs on our roster? I don't think he is.
Formerly...Damn, I forgot who I was...
Raptorian
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Raptorian » Sun May 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Ty Lawson is a good player. To me he is in the mould of Jameer Nelson/David West, guys who dropped in the draft for being "undersized" then coming up big in the pros. I would be very happy if we got him. This years draft is weak enough that using a 9th pick on a guy who would be one of the better backup pg's in the league and perhaps a future starter isn't that much of a reach.

If you could set the PG rotation on this team with Calderon and Lawson, I think there would be a lot less stress watching the games.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#7 » by bryant08 » Sun May 17, 2009 1:21 pm

^David West is a PF. I don't think it's Delonte you're talking about either.
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#8 » by Test of Wills » Sun May 17, 2009 3:38 pm

bryant08 wrote:^David West is a PF. I don't think it's Delonte you're talking about either.

Mario West? :-? :wink:
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#9 » by basketball royalty » Sun May 17, 2009 3:44 pm

I would be totally against taking him at 9 because there are plenty of good potential SGs to be had and one of them have to be available. That being said, if BC is looking to buying another pick in the 1st round I would hope it would be for this guy. IMO he would be a great backup PG and his game sounds a lot like TJ's but hopefully without the Napoleon complex.
props to Turbozone for the sig
The Notic
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: it's a bird. it's a plane. NO! it's Lois Lane givin me brain.

Post#10 » by The Notic » Sun May 17, 2009 3:48 pm

he's going to be an absolute stud. best player on the best team in the nation. his quickness + understanding of the game at his age is awesome. he saw action like 2 or 3 steps ahead of everyone else on the floor in the games i watched him in. he better not fall out of the lottery or some teams have some 'xplainin to do.
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#11 » by Test of Wills » Sun May 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Ty Lawson comes into the draft with many of the same deficiencies as Jameer Nelson did in college. You hear all the shots taken at him about being undersized, poor mid-range j and his abilty to play at different speeds. The kid has a lot of heart. He's smart, crafty and has a very good work ethic which can take him places in this league. I see a lot of Kyle Lowry in him and I don't agree with the TJ Ford comparisons. We'll see though.

He'd look good in a Bucks or Warriors uniform.

I'd really like Jrue Holiday with a second pick. He's a defensive player that can guard both positions. And on offense he's explosive and can score. Reminds me of Russell Westbrook.
rocket2981
Senior
And1: 24

Post#12 » by rocket2981 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:56 pm

If we don't pick him at 9, we'll need to buy a mid-1st round pick, this guy will definitely not past 18-19th pick. I would love to have him but not at 9, there will be better players available although I would not be that disapointed if we pick him with our pick. He'll be a player in this league for a long time.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#13 » by basketball royalty » Sun May 17, 2009 3:58 pm

RapsFuturePG#26 wrote:Ty Lawson comes into the draft with many of the same deficiencies as Jameer Nelson did in college. You hear all the shots taken at him about being undersized, poor mid-range j and his abilty to play at different speeds. The kid has a lot of heart. He's smart, crafty and has a very good work ethic which can take him places in this league. I see a lot of Kyle Lowry in him and I don't agree with the TJ Ford comparisons. We'll see though.

He'd look good in a Bucks or Warriors uniform.

I'd really like Jrue Holiday with a second pick. He's a defensive player that can guard both positions. And on offense he's explosive and can score. Reminds me of Russell Westbrook.

I meant in terms of offense. He seems like a guy who pushes the tempo at all times and has great playmaking ability. I do like that you compare him to Kyle Lowry because I absolutely love Kyle Lowry as a backup PG.
props to Turbozone for the sig
totallyr
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Post#14 » by totallyr » Sun May 17, 2009 4:00 pm

If we can snare a early 2nd pick in the 1rst round (gonna be tough) and this guy is still available, grab him, this guys a winner.
To all our soldiers serving overseas, be safe and come home soon
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#15 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun May 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Jameer Nelson

If we got a swing at 9, Id have no problems if we bought another pick to get him.
If the Raps move to an uptempo game, any one of Rubio, Jennings or Lawson will supplant Calderon as starting pg by the end of their second year. Hell, lawson might supplant Jose by the end of his rookie year.

Dude is a winner. Simple.
NORTH2SOUTH
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#16 » by NORTH2SOUTH » Sun May 17, 2009 4:43 pm

I like lawson or teague at 9. Has anyone read the draft express profile on point guard stats. Lawson was off the charts once his numbers broke down. He's going to be really good. I would take him in a second at 9. BPA. Remember what happenned when we picked on need last time(Araujo). You don't draft a small forward or shooting guard just because. I am not saying Lawson will be the best player after 9 overall either but his skills do project to the nba. Teague and Lawson are safe bets for me.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#17 » by OhMyBosh » Sun May 17, 2009 4:52 pm

bryant08 wrote:^David West is a PF. I don't think it's Delonte you're talking about either.

He's saying West would've been drafted higher if he was a bit taller. He's not comparing players, just draft day situations.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#18 » by Rhettmatic » Sun May 17, 2009 4:58 pm

I love Lawson.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

Post#19 » by Griff83 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:25 pm

When Colangelo talks about getting better point guard play, adressing the backup PG spot and the fact that he'd be interested in buying another first rounder, Ty Lawson instantly comes to mind as the possible player he wants.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#20 » by Pchu » Sun May 17, 2009 10:51 pm

He is basically Ray Felton. I am not sure he is any better than that.

Return to Toronto Raptors