ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Jrue Holiday

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Re: Draft Countdown: Jrue Holiday 

Post#41 » by A_wildstabatanything » Sat May 23, 2009 11:19 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Holiday went before us. Two guys I could see falling are Hill and Jennings. I would not be happy with that scenario. Both are good value picks at #9, but I'm not that high on either of those players. It's a bad fit unless Bosh or Jose are moved immediately.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#42 » by Undefeated » Sun May 24, 2009 1:30 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:Looks like Jrue could go the Kings at 4. Apparantley his workout went great and they love him, and the word is Petrie is sour on Jennings. Kings aren't afraid to off the board for the guys they like so we'll see. To be honest I think Jrue might just be a top 5 talent this draft.

Yeah, I heard about the Kings liking Holiday as well which isn't good news to me. I was hoping to land either DeRozan or Evans with the 9th pick and Holiday with our second first-rounder... If so, then damn, my two favorite prospects will be gone then...

IMO, a backcourt of Jennings + Martin would be real nice, but I assume they're going with Jrue for defensive purposes to help Martin...
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
rise of raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#43 » by rise of raptors » Sun May 24, 2009 11:14 am

If we take Jrue, who is better suited to play the 1 according to reports, wouldn't we have to move Jose?

Second, I'm not sure if BC would let a combo guard run the show - seems to build his teams with a pure point guard.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,756

Post#44 » by Double Helix » Sun May 24, 2009 11:49 am

I've tried to like him for some time now but I just don't. The more videos I watch the less impressed I am, especially if we're considering him to become some sort of stud combo guard in a Wade-esque type of mold.

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being the average baller on the playground and 10 being the best player in the world at his position) I'd rank his SG skills the following:

Jump shot - 7 - I'd say this area seems to be his most impressive attribute, both on the catch and shoot and off the dribble. He has nice, fluid mechanics.

Dribbling - 6 His handle just doesn't look terrible impressive for an NBA combo guard. It's solid but it's not enough to make up for his next category)

First step/explosion - 5 - His first step or blow by move looks really slow to me in comparison to the elites in the game. The Wade or (even Westbrook) comparison seem off in this regard. He has nowhere near that level of explosion and appears only slightly quicker going by his man than Stephen Curry in my opinion

Finishing - 6 - Some of the drives I've seen him finish look sloppy to me (like he just got into the lane and chucked it up) and I wonder if he'll even be able to get some of those running, seemingly out of control floaters off at the next level.

He could end up being a Jose Calderon type of guard off of pick and rolls if he commits to becoming a PG first and foremost but I just don't see enough physical attributes for him to beomce a stud, slashing combo guard at the next level against far bigger and faster opponents. He has a nice looking shot and solid instincts, though, so if he commits to being a true PG and has decent vision (I haven't seen enough of him to judge in this regard) than he might be solid. He also needs to put on weight.

I hope we can do better on draft day than Holiday. He has the name of a star and the physical attributes of a 6th man.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#45 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun May 24, 2009 1:12 pm

Here is an evaluation of Jrue in HS,. I really think the system by Howland limited Jrue.

If this vid. doesnt explain the ideal player we're looking for, i dont know what is.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruitin ... EIu5EHQZR4
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#46 » by supersub15 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:09 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009 ... aft-090527

Holiday climbs to 4th in Chad Ford's second mock.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#47 » by _venom_ » Wed May 27, 2009 9:27 pm

supersub15 wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-090527

Holiday climbs to 4th in Chad Ford's second mock.

I don't see Holiday moving up that much. I think Sacramento will work out a trade with Memphis to get the 2nd pick and Rubio will still go 2. The Thunder then take Harden at 3, and Memphis takes Thabeet at 4. I could see Minny taking Holiday at 6, or GState at 7.
Blasphemy
Bench Warmer
And1: 82

Post#48 » by Blasphemy » Wed May 27, 2009 9:38 pm

I really hope Jrue slide to us at #9, then we can buy a late teen pick to grab T-Will.
what do y'all think?

"A wise man told me don't argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who." - Jay-Z
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#49 » by TiKusDom » Wed May 27, 2009 9:50 pm

Jrue will be a westbrook repeat, after workouts and the combines will probably shoot up the draft charts and land in the top 10 .
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,578

Post#50 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Double Helix wrote:I've tried to like him for some time now but I just don't. The more videos I watch the less impressed I am, especially if we're considering him to become some sort of stud combo guard in a Wade-esque type of mold.

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being the average baller on the playground and 10 being the best player in the world at his position) I'd rank his SG skills the following:

Jump shot - 7 - I'd say this area seems to be his most impressive attribute, both on the catch and shoot and off the dribble. He has nice, fluid mechanics.

Dribbling - 6 His handle just doesn't look terrible impressive for an NBA combo guard. It's solid but it's not enough to make up for his next category)

First step/explosion - 5 - His first step or blow by move looks really slow to me in comparison to the elites in the game. The Wade or (even Westbrook) comparison seem off in this regard. He has nowhere near that level of explosion and appears only slightly quicker going by his man than Stephen Curry in my opinion

Finishing - 6 - Some of the drives I've seen him finish look sloppy to me (like he just got into the lane and chucked it up) and I wonder if he'll even be able to get some of those running, seemingly out of control floaters off at the next level.

He could end up being a Jose Calderon type of guard off of pick and rolls if he commits to becoming a PG first and foremost but I just don't see enough physical attributes for him to beomce a stud, slashing combo guard at the next level against far bigger and faster opponents. He has a nice looking shot and solid instincts, though, so if he commits to being a true PG and has decent vision (I haven't seen enough of him to judge in this regard) than he might be solid. He also needs to put on weight.

I hope we can do better on draft day than Holiday. He has the name of a star and the physical attributes of a 6th man.

I definitely see Holliday being a PG. He has really nice passing and vision and with his size should be an excellent defender there. Like you said I don't see him being explosive enough to be a big scorer at the 2.

I think Billups is Holliday's high end, most likely scenario is Felton (who still has a lot of potential mind you).
neurotik
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,864

Post#51 » by neurotik » Wed May 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:
Double Helix wrote:I've tried to like him for some time now but I just don't. The more videos I watch the less impressed I am, especially if we're considering him to become some sort of stud combo guard in a Wade-esque type of mold.

billups is also the best case scenario I would make. I think thats what Szcremento sees when the look at him. the only question is will he live up to that potential. He definately has enough athleticism to beat his man off the dribble, but he will also have to be savvy like billups if he is to become a star.

worst case scenario? felton, poor man's stuckey.

I definitely see Holliday being a PG. He has really nice passing and vision and with his size should be an excellent defender there. Like you said I don't see him being explosive enough to be a big scorer at the 2.

I think Billups is Holliday's high end, most likely scenario is Felton (who still has a lot of potential mind you).
(1 of 10)
rise of raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#52 » by rise of raptors » Thu May 28, 2009 7:38 am

Jrue Holiday Interview with DX:

DX: Can you see yourself going 4th overall and landing with the Kings?
JH: I can, absolutely. If they feel they can use another point guard, I feel like I’m that player who can step in and fill that role. Whether it’s leadership, scoring, getting the right man the ball, or whatever they need, I think I can do that.

DX: Is there anyone in the NBA that you think you compare to? Is there anyone you try to model your game after?
JH: I try to model mine after Deron Williams; he’s a big point guard with a great handle and he can shoot the ball. There’s also Chauncey Billups, just how he’s able to walk in and lead a team.

DX:
Do you think you’re more suited to running an up tempo offense or a half court offense?
JH: I honestly think that I’m in between, I can do both. What I like to do more of is the up and down, just fly, get highlights and all of that. It really doesn’t matter though, I can make the same progress in a half court situation as I can flying up and down the court.

More at link:
DraftExpress
waltthewiz
Junior
And1: 21

Post#53 » by waltthewiz » Thu May 28, 2009 5:22 pm

JRAFT JRUE
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#54 » by supersub15 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:48 pm

The New York Knicks have narrowed their point guard list to three players, the New York Post reports, and are bringing Jrue Holiday back for a second look. Holiday was outplayed by Stephen Curry in an earlier workout, warranting the second look. Also in the mix is Tyreke Evans, who, like Curry, could be selected before the Knicks pick at No. 8.

Return to Toronto Raptors