ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Tyler Hansbrough

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Draft Countdown: Tyler Hansbrough 

Post#1 » by cdel00 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:10 pm

From Draft Express
STRENGTHS:
- Ability to get to free throw line
- Likes to mix it up inside
- Back to basket scoring
- Excellent Touch
- Footwork/Post-moves
- Jump-hook shot
- Turnaround jumper
- Commitment to playing defense
- Aggressiveness
- Competitiveness
- Physical Toughness
- Strong Intangibles
- Winning mentality
- Work ethic
- High-level productivity
- Strength
- Free throw shooting
WEAKNESSES:
- Stuck between 4 and 5
- Ball-handling skills
- Man amongst boys?
- Ability to defend position at next level?
- Defensive potential
- Lateral quickness
- Potential
- Older than class peers
- Passing out of post
- Explosiveness
- Size for position
- Undersized
- Wingspan

My questions:
1) What make Love that much better than Hansbrough to explain the draft value difference?
2) Would he fit on the Raps for front court depth?
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,695

Re: Draft Countdown: Tyler Hansbrough 

Post#2 » by kingr » Thu May 21, 2009 3:14 pm

I'll be pissed if we draft him. He reminds me of a kris hump. type of player...Which we already have on the roster.
trick
Head Coach
And1: 905

Post#3 » by trick » Thu May 21, 2009 3:14 pm

oh hell no. you did not just compare Love and Hansborough...
#Raptors are 7-1. In 6 of the past 10 seasons, a team that has started a season 7-1 has gone on to win an NBA championship.

— Sportsnet Ticker (@SportsnetTicker) November 12, 2014
lemondrop
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by lemondrop » Thu May 21, 2009 3:16 pm

kingr wrote:I'll be pissed if we draft him. He reminds me of a kris hump. type of player...Which we already have on the roster.

Some what however Tyler has a brain and does not want nor pretend to be Kobe Bryant in a big mans body.

Tyler is best suited imo to be picked in the +20 range and will end up being a very good backup big who can come in and crash the boards along with steady D. He may even become a starter down the road for some club in the mold of former Rap Eric Montross.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,010

Post#5 » by kalel123 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:40 pm

Hell no, even if we end up buying a late pick (will believe it when I see it since BC has tried and failed two straight years), this is the last guy we should draft.

We don't need another PF especially one who is undersized. We also just flat out need more talent, which he doesn't have a ton of. He was a very good college player but no way will he pan out as a pro other than maybe as half decent role player.
ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Post#6 » by ZeriousLy » Thu May 21, 2009 3:52 pm

kalel123 wrote:Hell no, even if we end up buying a late pick (will believe it when I see it since BC has tried and failed two straight years), this is the last guy we should draft.

We don't need another PF especially one who is undersized. We also just flat out need more talent, which he doesn't have a ton of. He was a very good college player but no way will he pan out as a pro other than maybe as half decent role player.

Who are you referring to?
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#7 » by 5DOM » Thu May 21, 2009 3:55 pm

I like him as a player but there's no place for him here.
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#8 » by Avenger » Thu May 21, 2009 4:07 pm

cdel00 wrote:
My questions:
1) What make Love that much better than Hansbrough to explain the draft value difference?
2) Would he fit on the Raps for front court depth?

Love has a jumpshot
Love is more athletic although not by a lot
Love has range out to the three point land
Love is a good passer, Tyler is a bit of a blackhole at times
Love's rebounding translates better to the NBA where he uses his instincts more than his sheer strength
Love has better lateral quickness although not by a lot
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#9 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Thu May 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Hansbrough is much closer to a Nick Collison than a Kevin Love.

Hansbrough is slightly better offensively, and slightly weaker defensively and on the boards than Collison. If he's available in the 20s (which I doubt he will be) I'd look to nab a pick from someone and take him.

He'd make a very coachable, value for dollar, PF backup that could hold his own and even outplay most opposing backup PFs in the NBA.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,193

Post#10 » by Hoopstarr » Thu May 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Avenger wrote:Love has a jumpshot
Love is more athletic although not by a lot
Love has range out to the three point land
Love is a good passer, Tyler is a bit of a blackhole at times
Love's rebounding translates better to the NBA where he uses his instincts more than his sheer strength
Love has better lateral quickness although not by a lot

Agreed, but Hansbrough isn't far away
No he's not
Maybe. Hansbrough started shooting from outside his last year also.
Agreed
Instincts translate anywhere
They're about equal
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#11 » by Anatomize » Thu May 21, 2009 4:55 pm

David lee type
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#12 » by Anatomize » Thu May 21, 2009 4:56 pm

Speaking of Love, did you see how skinny he was at the draft lottery? wtf!!
PoloGoose
Senior
And1: 0

Post#13 » by PoloGoose » Thu May 21, 2009 5:25 pm

PF in a SF body. No NBA talent for either position.

I can see this kid on nuff posters next season.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#14 » by Anatomize » Thu May 21, 2009 5:35 pm

colangelo wrote:PF in a SF body. No NBA talent for either position.

I can see this kid on nuff posters next season.

I disagree with this, players with grit, toughness, hustle, heart, and tenacity (call it redundant) have been known to contribute to many winning teams over the years (Varejao for one).

No one is expecting this guy to be an allstar, but all in all, he will be a factor on the glass, second chance points, some inside scoring, and a glue type player.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#15 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu May 21, 2009 8:09 pm

Local_NG_Idiot wrote:Hansbrough is much closer to a Nick Collison than a Kevin Love.

Hansbrough is slightly better offensively, and slightly weaker defensively and on the boards than Collison. If he's available in the 20s (which I doubt he will be) I'd look to nab a pick from someone and take him.

He'd make a very coachable, value for dollar, PF backup that could hold his own and even outplay most opposing backup PFs in the NBA.

That is a very reasonable comparison.
Except that Collison was smaller when drafted and added weight whereas Hansbrough already has that size walking into the draft.

I tend to agree there is an offensive/defensive trade off as I think Collison had a lot less to learn about rebounding when he entered the NBA then Hansbrough does, but his offensive not on the same level as Hansbroughs is.

There seems to be a lot of thought that Tyler Hansbrough is going to be a bust, whereas I think he is simply a "what you see is what you get player" I think he will be in the league beyond his rookie contract, but I don't think he will be anywhere near an elite level player.

But I am with you, I wouldn't mind snagging him if we get a very late 1st,.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,193

Post#16 » by Hoopstarr » Thu May 21, 2009 8:26 pm

cosmostein wrote:
Local_NG_Idiot wrote:Hansbrough is much closer to a Nick Collison than a Kevin Love.

That is a very reasonable comparison.
Except that Collison was smaller when drafted and added weight whereas Hansbrough already has that size walking into the draft.

I tend to agree there is an offensive/defensive trade off as I think Collison had a lot less to learn about rebounding when he entered the NBA then Hansbrough does, but his offensive not on the same level as Hansbroughs is.

There seems to be a lot of thought that Tyler Hansbrough is going to be a bust, whereas I think he is simply a "what you see is what you get player" I think he will be in the league beyond his rookie contract, but I don't think he will be anywhere near an elite level player.

But I am with you, I wouldn't mind snagging him if we get a very late 1st,.

Well said. People look at a guy like Hansbrough and immediately think bust because nothing jumps out at you. The NBA is full of complementary players who do certain things very well. Hansbrough will play hard, rebound, and will develop a mid-range J. He will defend PFs better than most people think. In college, he showed great ability to move his feet, even on the perimeter; he even guarded opposing guards sometimes.
TruGM
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#17 » by TruGM » Thu May 21, 2009 8:40 pm

When UNC played Oklahoma in the tournament, Hansbrough easily outplayed the soon to be number 1 pick with his sheer hustle and ball IQ. So if he can take care of the number 1 pick im sure he would be just fine in the NBA.

Now is he gonna be a star..probably not..but will he be part of a winning team..most definately!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#18 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu May 21, 2009 8:44 pm

TruGM wrote:When UNC played Oklahoma in the tournament, Hansbrough easily outplayed the soon to be number 1 pick with his sheer hustle and ball IQ. So if he can take care of the number 1 pick im sure he would be just fine in the NBA.

Now is he gonna be a star..probably not..but will he be part of a winning team..most definitely!

That's fair enough,
He is easily a rotation guy right now, my question is will he ever be more then that?
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#19 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 pm

I think he's going to be a 2/2 scrub. I really don't know what he's going to contribute. He's unathletic, undersized, and has tiny arms. He won't be able to post up anybody. He won't be able to drive the basket. He's just an ok rebounder despite his energy, and that was against players weaker than NBA competition. His defense is going to be atrocious. The only thing I can see translating to the NBA is a solid midrange J. But if you can't create your own shot and you're smaller and slower than everyone, how open can you get?

There's a place for undersized energy guys in the league, but usually they have the athleticism and hops to lock down rebounds over bigger opponents. Hanbrough is unathletic and has no lift and he's going to be garbage defensively. I don't think he'll make it past 4-5 years in the league, whenever his contract runs out
T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS
Analyst
And1: 1,266
Location: [STH] Toronto, ON = ah.. the memories of 500 level seats at skydome...

Post#20 » by T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS » Thu May 21, 2009 8:55 pm

He's the white Reggie Evans.... high energy, pesky defender, hustle rebounder, mechanical offense, mediocre jumper... solid rotation player... 2nd rounder at best.

Return to Toronto Raptors