ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Tyler Hansbrough

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 424

Re: Draft Countdown: Tyler Hansbrough 

Post#21 » by cdel00 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:48 pm

Tyler is starting to move up the rankings, and keeps saying lots of good stuff to the media. His maturity level is much better than expected.

1 Thing that we know about Tyler is he is not a rookie when it comes to dealing with the spotlight. That has to be considered for the Raptors whose media coverage can be a daily grind for players.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... it_to_end/
"It's tough, but you have to understand that's the way it is," Hansbrough said. "I'll continue to work out for teams and see what happens. I'm more athletic than a lot of people think I am. A lot of people see me as just a hard worker, but I do a little more than work hard."
Derekman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Derekman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:59 pm

still hasn't proven he can score against long, athletic guys even @ the pre-draft stuff. if he's not scoring, hes' not doing much else. bust.
cdel00
Head Coach

Post#23 » by cdel00 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:34 pm

Derekman wrote:still hasn't proven he can score against long, athletic guys even @ the pre-draft stuff. if he's not scoring, hes' not doing much else. bust.

IMO, he has too much Smarts, hustle and work ethic to bust. He may not become an allstar but I would also be willing to bet he doesn't bust. I see him a solid rotation player at worst and a quality starting PF at best. He's one of the safest picks in this draft IMO.

Edit: to add to that I would also say that his future trade value is almost guarenteed to go up from the current preceived trade value of #9 overall in this draft class.
cdel00
Head Coach

Post#24 » by cdel00 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:39 pm

That said the Raps would still best be served grabbing some guard talent in this draft however the late first round guards projected to be available aren't to shabby either.
Derekman
Banned User

Post#25 » by Derekman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:43 pm

cdel00 wrote: He's one of the safest picks in this draft IMO.

No, he's not. NBA scouts wanted him to do one thing this season and in this draft process: prove he can score on long, athletic guys. Nobody is convinced he can do this. His game right now is 100% suited for the college game. He's the classic cases of a guy who'll never be able to keep up with the athleticism and length @ the nba level considering his game.
ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Post#26 » by ZeriousLy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Derekman wrote:still hasn't proven he can score against long, athletic guys even @ the pre-draft stuff. if he's not scoring, hes' not doing much else. bust.

+1, this year, Tyler Hansbrough was exposed against teams such as Wake Forest and Florida State due to their very athletic front court.
cdel00
Head Coach

Post#27 » by cdel00 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Every player has their weakness. In Tyler's case it's long athletic bigs like Bosh. However there is a niche for him in the NBA and in that niche I can see him excelling.
Derekman
Banned User

Post#28 » by Derekman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:04 pm

cdel00 wrote:Every player has their weakness.

In Tyler's case, it's NBA ball.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,974

Post#29 » by Merit » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:29 pm

cdel00 wrote:Every player has their weakness. In Tyler's case it's long athletic bigs like Bosh. However there is a niche for him in the NBA and in that niche I can see him excelling.

I am biased in favor of people who present well and speak confidently, without being cocky or arrogant. He seems very self aware, and based upon his body of work in college, i'd give him the benefit of the doubt. He definitely has a place in the NBA, and I wouldn't object to his arrival in Toronto, especially with a 1st rounder. He strikes me as a person who would very much enjoy the city, and would be a great role player. I'm not sure we draft him with the arrival of Reggie Evans though - unless we move Hump.
I believe in Masai.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,953

Post#30 » by JN » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:11 pm

TruGM wrote:When UNC played Oklahoma in the tournament, Hansbrough easily outplayed the soon to be number 1 pick with his sheer hustle and ball IQ . So if he can take care of the number 1 pick im sure he would be just fine in the NBA.

Now is he gonna be a star..probably not..but will he be part of a winning team..most definately!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=294000046

Did you see the same game as the rest of America did?

Griffin went for 23pts, 16 rebs, and 9-12 from the floor. He was also constantly GANG Defenced by UNC as Crocker and Warren were incomptent.

Hansbrough went off for 8 pts and 3 rebounds in 26 minutes, and was in foul trouble.

So in all of this you see that Tyler easily outplayed Blake??????

With all that being said I do consider Hansbrough one of the safer picks in this draft because he is guaranteed to be a decent rotation player and early in his career, whether not a starter IMO.

Is that "safety" good in the top 10 -NO... but anything outside of the lotto would seem to be a sound pick. A winning team will draft him and he will contribute to them winning.
D-Wins-RingsIMO
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: TORONTO ... where worst DRtg in the league happens!

Post#31 » by D-Wins-RingsIMO » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:27 pm

Simply put he's going to have to learn how to knock down jumpers out to 18' at a great clip to really pan out.

I love his heart and hustle but I don't think he'll be more than a rotation guy (nothing wrong with that when they have good character). The problem is even though his combine numbers look good, just visualize how he was scoring all his points in the NCAA ---- beating up 3 vanilla midgets in the paint and then scoring garbage buckets. I mean you can't hate on his success at UNC, but he played under the rim the whole time, that's just not going to cut it.

I mean yeah Griffin had nearly the same combine numbers, but we all witnessed how the guy in game situations had a nose for the rim and would just blow past ppl. He played above the rim the whole time. You can see him getting his points in the NBA, even if he gives them all back on the other end.

That's the tricky part about the combine, it doesn't really mimic the play at game speed .... kind of like how Monta and TJ Ford would do terrible in 3/4 court or the shuttle drills ... when in 5 on 5 action they're the ones flying in between ppl.
AJ Valliant
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#32 » by AJ Valliant » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:38 pm

D-Wins-RingsIMO wrote:
I mean yeah Griffin had nearly the same combine numbers, but we all witnessed how the guy in game situations had a nose for the rim and would just blow past ppl. He played above the rim the whole time. You can see him getting his points in the NBA, even if he gives them all back on the other end.

That's the tricky part about the combine, it doesn't really mimic the play at game speed .... kind of like how Monta and TJ Ford would do terrible in 3/4 court or the shuttle drills ... when in 5 on 5 action they're the ones flying in between ppl.

Yep. Blake and Tyler had close to the same vert numbers at the combine: in game Tyler was constantly getting blocked when he went up in traffic...Blake was smashing his face off the side of backboard going for dunks. When you really watch them they athleticism gap is readily apparent.
Batmanz
Banned User

Post#33 » by Batmanz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:14 am

he may not fit w/ us but he's a winner and if he's the BPA, you take him (not at 9 tho)

he won't slip to the second round..

he's gonna make the rookie team
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,953

Post#34 » by JN » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:28 pm

He's a good need pick for a winning team. If a team is lacking depth in the frontcourt because of FA he can come in probably fill a backup / rotation role better then all other non-lottery picks.

I'm against drafting for need in the top 10 ---- you just need too accumulate the BPA and the best talent. But as you get later in the first round, picking on need makes mroe sense, and IMO this guy is a safe pick to fill arole.

Return to Toronto Raptors