ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: James Johnsson

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Re: Draft Countdown: James Johnsson 

Post#21 » by Rhettmatic » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:50 pm

Apparently, "Johnsson" impressed during his workout yesterday.

Back to the workouts for a bit.

A rather odd sight greeted us when we walked in the gym and survived the huddled masses perched on chairs along the sideline. It’s the domain of coaches and scouts and GMs usually, with the regular assortment of Raptors Worker Bees charting every move every kid makes.

So, what’s John Bitove Jr. doing there? Ready to buy the team back? A front office coup?

Nah, seems he was checking out James Johnson of Wake Forest, which is John’s old school.

I’m told Johnson was really good, too.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2009/0 ... asies.html
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,743

Post#22 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Who hasn't been really good according to Raptors people?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#23 » by Reignman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:55 pm

If we're buying another pick later in the draft I'd rather have the star of that Wake team.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,914

Post#24 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:03 pm

It all depends on Marion. This kid is impressive in the interview. Would you draft him on that? No. But... it sure sounds like he would bring some decent size and skill for a 3. From listening to him he sounds humble and very sharp. My guess is he would be good developing as a role player under Triano & co. From the sounds of it the BPA are point guards and it would not surprise me to see the Raps take a point guard if we follow BPA. Jennings or Flynn. After that the need is not positional so much as it is toughness and a powerful small forward might be smart. I just hope we get that second pick.
alvin robertson
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#25 » by alvin robertson » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Just wanted to jump in here because he's is a guy that I think is going to be a very good player. I mentioned in a thread last week how I bumped into BC and asked him specifically about James Johnson. He said he was a tough kid, black belt, really good athlete but I guess there are questions with his weight.

Wake fell off the map late into the season but this guy has such a nice game. He can throw it down, has decent handles and can run the floor really well. Plus good size and a huge wingspan. If we can get this guy plus our # 9 pick (Derozan?) Wow, I would be stoked. If we can get Det's pick that would be great because I dont think he's going to be there after 15.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Re: James Johnsson is what Raps need at small forward 

Post#26 » by supersub15 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Wake Forest forward James Johnson seems to be in a draft free-fall and I don't quite understand why. Yes, he showed up at the Chicago draft combine a little out of shape and 15 pounds overweight. But a month ago a number of lottery teams were giving him a serious look. Now we're searching for teams in the 20s for Johnson. I guess in a draft with this much parity, every little pound matters.
trick
Head Coach
And1: 905

Post#27 » by trick » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:19 pm

I'd take him in the teens.
#Raptors are 7-1. In 6 of the past 10 seasons, a team that has started a season 7-1 has gone on to win an NBA championship.

— Sportsnet Ticker (@SportsnetTicker) November 12, 2014
isyed
Starter
And1: 313

Post#28 » by isyed » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:39 pm

I like this kid. he might be a sleeper and a ver underrated player if his small forward defensive skills are there./ How is ios defensive potential? Seems like stat stuffer, steals, rebouns, blocks, assists
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Re: James Johnsson is what Raps need at small forward 

Post#29 » by 5DOM » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Hypz wrote:
SkinnyP wrote:You his agent Saciid?

Why would his agent bother posting on a forum that plays no real part in deciding where his client will be drafted?

You underestimated this forum my friend.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#30 » by 99 Problems » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:25 pm

I'm getting sick of hearing about James Johnson.. Why does this have to come out of nowhere two days before the draft? Just when I started to expect DeRozan or Flynn...

Guess this will make things exciting..
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,803

Post#31 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:38 pm

He's a fat 22 year-old future scrub. If we take him... grrr....
lemondrop
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#32 » by lemondrop » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Only 3 pages? Let the hype machine begin!
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#33 » by 5DOM » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:42 pm

lemondrop wrote:Only 3 pages? Let the hype machine begin!

He's a fighter :lift:
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#34 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:46 pm

I remember when it was rumoured we'd be drafting Blair. He instantly became the next Paul Milsap.
lemondrop
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#35 » by lemondrop » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:52 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:

I remember when it was rumoured we'd be drafting Blair. He instantly became the next Paul Milsap.

Thats nothing man, Derozan is Carter, Johnson is Barkley meets Pierce. :wink:

I remember Johnson talk at the draft combine, apperently he showed up out of shape and overweight, that must of did it for Jimbo Kelly. His measurements weren't that bad though and he did bench press 18 joey graham like reps. :D
Garmfay
Assistant Coach
And1: 510

Post#36 » by Garmfay » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:05 pm

James Johnson is a player Jim Kelly is probably drooling over. FIRE KELLY
Credit to Turbo_Zone
"The Lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep"
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#37 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Garmfay wrote:James Johnson is a player Jim Kelly is probably drooling over. FIRE KELLY

Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#38 » by Undefeated » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:14 pm

Garmfay wrote:James Johnson is a player Jim Kelly is probably drooling over. FIRE KELLY

WTF? Yeah, Johnson is a player that Kelly desires, although how the hell is it his fault for us drafting him? Our scouting management has to do their homework as well and not rely on him. Person to blame is Masai Ujiri for passing on the information to our GM.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#39 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:21 pm

IMO Johnson is easily a top 10 talent in this draft. Being 22 and fat hurts a little though for sure

I think he'd be perfect for a team looking for a 3 point shooting PF who can hold his own in the post, looking to mimic what the Magic did with Rashard Lewis. He's a good new-age NBA type pick.

But for us, we already have Bargnani who could fill that role perfectly if he ever ended up at PF, so I don't really see the point unless we want JJ at SF which I'm unsure about. If we're drafting a wing, Johnson is not the type we need for sure... we need either a dribble/penetrator like Jeff Teague or a ace two way player like Henderson. Having a SF who could post up would be an interesting compliment to Bosh and Bargnani for sure though.

If he ended up as Antawn Jamison or a slightly worse version of him that would be sick at this place in the draft though, wow that'd be some pick. Charlie V. and Harrington would also be very, very good value. I don't think Johnson has that bad of "downside" either, at worst he'll still be able to shoot and dribble a little and use his size. I think he'll at least be a rotation guy

I don't know, I can't tell if I love this pick or I hate it. Again if JJ was 19 or 20 I'd love it, but at 22 I just don't know, albeit he is only a sophmore.

Return to Toronto Raptors