ImageImageImageImageImage

Apparently Magic will hang onto Marcin

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mad Balla 15
RealGM
And1: 1,930

Re: Apparently Magic will hang onto Marcin 

Post#21 » by Mad Balla 15 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:59 am

tylrrr wrote:
Mad Balla 15 wrote:Where are you guys getting 7 million from? He signed an offer sheet for the full MLE which is 5.8 million not 7 million.

Well if he signed an offer sheet for $34M over 5 years (which is what was reported), that would make it a 6.8M a year contract. That doesn't mean he'll make 6.8M a year, but if you averaged it out, that's what you'd get.

Oh okay then yeah my bad. 6.8 M is definitely a lot to be paying a back up C but like I said before Gortat will probably be traded in December or at the trade deadline.
A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 51

Post#22 » by A_wildstabatanything » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:21 am

So do the Mavs retaliate and match Bass... or do they not have those rights?
MichaelH
Senior
And1: 0

Post#23 » by MichaelH » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:29 am

A_wildstabatanything wrote:So do the Mavs retaliate and match Bass... or do they not have those rights?

Bass was an UFA, so he is officially part of the Magic roster
Orlando 97, Dallas 82
Cthulhu wrote:Orlando has to shoot out of their a** from three just to win games. Sad.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#24 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:47 am

Condi Rice wrote:Magics board say that after 90 days they could trade Gortat, maybe to a team like OKC that has cap space.

Do they realize that he must agree to any trade???? If you match an offer, the player cannot be traded without his consent for the first year - and he cannot be traded to the team he originally signed with.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
|llsT oNe
Starter
And1: 165

Post#25 » by |llsT oNe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Celts still have the edge on them
MinnyMo
Starter
And1: 34

Post#26 » by MinnyMo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:44 pm

Haha and they said we overpaid for Hedo, they are paying Gortat in excess of 5 mill a season to give them the whopping 3.8 points per game he provided them last season...Heck Brandon Roy only makes 4 mill a season.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,962

Post#27 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:48 pm

No one's going to trade for him at that kind of money. Maybe if he's in a package, but he's only worth that much to Cuban, and, I guess Orlando. They're definitely loading up.
MagnusPinus
Analyst
And1: 148

Post#28 » by MagnusPinus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:52 pm

Not good for the guy.. stuck on a team where there is no much time for him.. Van Gundy has to figure out a way to play Dwight and him together.. because it makes no sense to pay 5 million and more for a 12 mpg player.
GuyverADL wrote:
The only thing Curry will raise from the start of the season is his cholesterol.
People do not understand Curry's reason for wanting to be a ballerina. He wanted to be able to contort his body to be able to fit in the fridge.
killerbs
Analyst
And1: 46

Post#29 » by killerbs » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:58 pm

not worth the cahsflow
MacDaddy
RealGM
And1: 428

Post#30 » by MacDaddy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:19 pm

It's expensive but he had a +5.8 net PER last year which means he's probably a starting-quality center playing as a backup, which gives Orlando a defensive anchor when they play their bench. Sucks for him if he wanted big minutes though.
mikero
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#31 » by mikero » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Wow. I didnt really expect they would match. I can't help but think they could spend the money better elsewhere, like on Marion...
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#32 » by douggood » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:31 pm

mikero wrote:Wow. I didnt really expect they would match. I can't help but think they could spend the money better elsewhere, like on Marion...

marion signed with mavs

but this is a gutsy call, if they match gortat, they will have 7 players making 80$ million. 87$mil next year
thats a big luxary tax hit next season, 30$ million plus!!!!
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#33 » by McFurious1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:31 pm

I still haven't seen anything about this to be true.
mikero
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#34 » by mikero » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:42 pm

western221 wrote:
mikero wrote:Wow. I didnt really expect they would match. I can't help but think they could spend the money better elsewhere, like on Marion...

marion signed with mavs

but this is a gutsy call, if they match gortat, they will have 7 players making 80$ million. 87$mil next year

True but i'm sure the magic could have worked out a sign and trade at the time...
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#35 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Marcin Gortat for 6.8M dollars a season.
This is one of the classic situations where you have a player who looked like a bargoon at the cheap salary we was on last season, and now you have basically created a contract that is very undesirable.

I mean the dude played 12 minutes a game last season??
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#36 » by HomieOmey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:39 pm

western221 wrote:marion signed with mavs

Yeah, but if their plan was to keep Gortat all along, it could have made more sense to go after Marion to begin with. Everyone assumed they didn't want Marion because of the money.
TurboZ
rocket2981
Senior
And1: 24

Post#37 » by rocket2981 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:41 pm

This is a really bad decision by the Magic. Gortat is pretty good but he'll be an albatross contract for the next 5 years. Factor in the luxury tax and they'll pay 11.6M$ for this guy this year, this is simply ridiculous. Look at the contract Diop signed with Dallas and you now have Gortat...

For the fact that he'll be traded soon, I'm very skeptical because: 1: he'll have to consent to this trade and 2: he'll be a BYC player so virtually untradable. Gortat is in ORL to stay...
Vittorio De Zen
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#38 » by Vittorio De Zen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:26 pm

rocket2981 wrote:Look at the contract Diop signed with Dallas and you now have Gortat...

There's an important difference: Diop is a bit crap, Gortat is solid.

For his skills, at this price, it's a great deal. The guy is a starting-caliber center. They get to bring him off the bench. If Howard gets in foul trouble, they're okay.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the "report", but if it's true then Orlando is going all-in for this season. I say it's worth it... and if through some bizarre set of circumstances they're not a contender this year or next, his won't be a hard contract to move. There are hardly any good centers in the NBA and a well-above average one at an average contract is always a good asset to have.
Tom Baker
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#39 » by Tom Baker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:32 pm

I read the General Board thread. Doesn't look legit so far. I'll believe it when I see it from a legit source.

Oh, and save yourself the trouble of reading that other thread. Mostly filled with the following:

- Some idiot Magic fans (apparently) making this rumour up and then fighting with Cavs and Mavs fans
- One smart Magic fan calling out the idiot Magic fans for making Magic fans look bad
- A bunch of people digging up Orlando TV schedules and Magic poster profiles to prove the story is fake
- A short side discussion about whether Shaq can defend the pick and roll

Basically, that's the thread. You've just saved yourselves all from reading 14 pages of crap. You're welcome.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,238

Post#40 » by djsunyc » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:39 pm

shows orlando will spend money to try and win it all. backup centers are not throwaway players. he will let dwight rest more in the season and provide good insurance.

Return to Toronto Raptors