ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Have Interest in Ike Diogu

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Meursault
Starter
And1: 1,037

Raptors Have Interest in Ike Diogu 

Post#1 » by Meursault » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:12 pm

I searched the first couple of pages and didn't notice any discussion on this.

Kind of came out of nowhere, but I'm not surprised. Given the loss of Humphries and Jawai, the Raptors could use a backup 4/5. No specifics on how much he would command on the market, but the Kings declined his $3.9 million option. He had huge upside coming out of college, but couldn't stay healthy and couldn't put it together. Out of the 10 teams interested in him, it seems like he'd get the most playing time here. If I'm him and his agent, I'd lobby for an MLE or $2 million 1-year deal?

EDIT: thanks to the other posters for reminding me to post the link.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... acramento/
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,267

Re: Raptors Have Interest in Ike Diogu 

Post#2 » by djsunyc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:14 pm

no more than the minimum. he hasn't shown anything at this level.
Strav
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#3 » by Strav » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Is this a question or a statement? I'd say no - no room for him on the depth chart if Rasho is signed.
Meursault
Starter

Post#4 » by Meursault » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:17 pm

the last two games of the season, where he played 40+, he did really well for himself. it's a small sample size, but i'd be willing to throw a bit more than the minimum at him, provided that it's for no more than 2 years. could be a good guy on the 2nd unit along with Rasho.
kiddy*jordan
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#5 » by kiddy*jordan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:18 pm

rasho first
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

Post#6 » by rapsrealm » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Are you saying that the Raptors have interest in him or are there sources indicating that the Raptors are interested?
Meursault
Starter

Post#7 » by Meursault » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:21 pm

rapsrealm wrote:Are you saying that the Raptors have interest in him or are there sources indicating that the Raptors are interested?

yeah, it's on the wiretap.
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#8 » by pspot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:22 pm

there really isnt an opportunity for Diogu with the Raps

he needs a 20+ min opportunity to develope
nm
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,589

Post#9 » by DG88 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:22 pm

I thought there would be a link to this or something. Your title is misleading then if you don't have a link to back this up.

Edit:
Here's the link that the OP forgot to put in:

The Kings haven't had any conversations with free-agent forward Ike Diogu since they declined his qualifying offer of $3.9 million.

Diogu told the Sacramento Bee that "about 10 teams" have shown interest in him, including Atlanta, New Orleans, Boston, Dallas, Charlotte, Toronto, Denver and Washington.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... acramento/
Meursault
Starter

Post#10 » by Meursault » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:28 pm

pspot wrote:there really isnt an opportunity for Diogu with the Raps

what's so misleading about the title?

i think he has a better opportunity in Toronto than Dallas or Denver. It's not like Bosh and Bargnani are going to be playing 40+ minutes a game--or at least, I hope not. I also don't see why it should be automatic that Rasho is signed ahead of Diogu or why their signings have to be mutually exclusive. This team is anything but a contender, and would be well-served to maximize on its aggregate talent pool. Diogu seems like a cheap option with medium-to-high upside, and if he stays healthy and puts it together, would form a pretty good primary 3-man rotation with Bosh and Bargnani. He would also arguably be the best scoring big off the bench--something that the Raptors are currently lacking.

As good as Jack may be as a 6th man, without a bench guy with any form of an inside game or scoring threat, we might be relegated to watching Jack/Delfino/Wright play on the perimeter, and having as high as 70-75% of the 2nd unit's shots come from outside of the paint. That doesn't seem like a recipe for success to me, particularly since these guys are historically low percentage shooters.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,589

Post#11 » by DG88 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:32 pm

Meursault wrote:
pspot wrote:there really isnt an opportunity for Diogu with the Raps

what's so misleading about the title?

i think he has a better opportunity in Toronto than Dallas or Denver. It's not like Bosh and Bargnani are going to be playing 40+ minutes a game--or at least, I hope not. I also don't see why it should be automatic that Rasho is signed ahead of Diogu or why their signings have to be mutually exclusive. This team is anything but a contender, and would be well-served to maximize on its aggregate talent pool. Diogu seems like a cheap option with medium-to-high upside, and if he stays healthy and puts it together, would form a pretty good primary 3-man rotation with Bosh and Bargnani. He would also arguably be the best scoring big off the bench--something that the Raptors are currently lacking.

As good as Jack may be as a 6th man, without a bench guy with any form of an inside game or scoring threat, we might be relegated to watching Jack/Delfino/Wright play on the perimeter, and having as high as 70-75% of the 2nd unit's shots come from outside of the paint. That doesn't seem like a recipe for success to me, particularly since these guys are historically low percentage shooters.

The title was misleading because you never provided a link to back up your claim. I've already posted it in my post above yours. Next time just remember to post a link or else people won't believe your claim.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#12 » by dacrusha » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Diogu is like Gortat: hasn't had a lot of minutes in the league, but he has solid numbers in that limited time (per 36, and PER). He IS foul prone. though.

Don't know much about his defense, but for the minimum, he'd be a better bet as a second string 4/5 than POB.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#13 » by StopitLeo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:37 pm

This reeks of agent hype.
trick
Head Coach
And1: 905

Post#14 » by trick » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Personally, I'd rather have Diogu than Rasho as a back-up big man. I'd keep POB no matter what though.
#Raptors are 7-1. In 6 of the past 10 seasons, a team that has started a season 7-1 has gone on to win an NBA championship.

— Sportsnet Ticker (@SportsnetTicker) November 12, 2014
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,513

Post#15 » by Brinbe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:41 pm

He wouldn't be a bad addition for the absolute minimum. But I think our interest probably came before all the recent moves we've made.
Canuck9
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#16 » by Canuck9 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:48 pm

trick wrote:Personally, I'd rather have Diogu than Rasho as a back-up big man. I'd keep POB no matter what though.

why???

Rasho is an established big man in the league who can cover legitimate centres.
trick
Head Coach
And1: 905

Post#17 » by trick » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Canuck9 wrote:
why???

Rasho is an established big man in the league who can cover legitimate centres.

The way I see it, if the Raps do get Rasho he'll be playing around the 10-12 mpg range. He'll contribute and play the way he's always been played and what anyone would expect from a legitimate back-up big, but I'd rather spend those minutes to younger players for development. We know what Rasho can give us but what if Diogu and POB can give us some of that, and more.

The team is no where close to contending so stock-piling talent would be one of my priorities if I were in BC's position.
#Raptors are 7-1. In 6 of the past 10 seasons, a team that has started a season 7-1 has gone on to win an NBA championship.

— Sportsnet Ticker (@SportsnetTicker) November 12, 2014
BigShotBob13
Starter
And1: 297

Post#18 » by BigShotBob13 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:54 pm

What can anyone say about his game? I mean would it be worth it to have him on the bench over POB?
Formerly...Damn, I forgot who I was...
underdog33
Lead Assistant
And1: 355

Post#19 » by underdog33 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:59 pm

trick wrote:Personally, I'd rather have Diogu than Rasho as a back-up big man. I'd keep POB no matter what though.

Love the sig, trick. ROBERT SWIFT aka Birdman wannabe for the win!
O'neal and Moon 4 Life
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 718

Post#20 » by TGM » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:08 pm

We should definitely try and add Diogu. Coming out of college he was supposed to be a Rich Man's Paul Milsap.

I still think he has the talent to play in this league, but has always been buried in the depth charts.

Return to Toronto Raptors