ImageImageImageImageImage

Accept it, Toronto: You

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RJ2392
Veteran
And1: 8

Accept it, Toronto: You 

Post#1 » by RJ2392 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 pm

By: Austin Burton

2007: “Toronto as a market won’t ever be New York, L.A., Boston or Miami. Playing in a small market while not being a flashy guy isn’t a kiss of death, but (Chris) Bosh’s low profile might not resonate with H.O.F. voters if he doesn’t win big (like Reggie Miller) or put up amazing numbers (like Karl Malone and John Stockton).”

2009: “More than LeBron, Wade or any other superstar, Bosh seems most likely to change teams in the much-hyped 2010 offseason. The NBA’s resident self-marketing guru and undercover comedian is just waiting to break out in a bigger market, i.e. New York, Miami or L.A.”

Two times I can remember calling the Raptors a small-market team, and two times I’ve incurred the wrath of the Toronto faithful. The arguments are the same: We’re the 4th-biggest city in North America … We sell out every Raptors game … What other team can say a whole country backs them? … Blah, blah and blah.

Whatever.

It’s time to face up to some truths. As a city, Toronto is not a “small market” by definition. Fine. But the Toronto Raptors are unquestionably a small market franchise within the framework of North American professional sports. (Might as well throw the Blue Jays in there, too.) And you can’t really argue against that.

How many times were the Raptors on ESPN, TNT or ABC last season? Three? Four? That’s probably even going too high. Even when the Raptors are good, like when they were one of the Top-3 teams in the East a couple years back, they have zero TV presence and zero profile this side of the border. In their most recent heyday, Raptors’ playoff games still got the NBA TV junior varsity treatment.

Bosh, the face of the franchise, is a great player and a charming personality and a nice guy. Do you know why he’s nowhere near as popular as Chris Paul or Ray Allen? Because he plays for the Raptors. Bosh has had to become the Black Seth Rogen and basically live on Twitter and uStream just to get some kind of mainstream attention, and he’s still less famous than Tay Zonday. But you know if CB4 played for the Heat or the Rockets with that same personality, he’d be a media force. The sight of kids or grown men outside of Canada rocking Bosh jerseys is rare enough — actually catching somebody in a Jose Calderon or Andrea Bargnani jersey would be like seeing Bigfoot walking down West Broadway.

The closest the Raptors have ever come to being a legit big-market organization was when they had Vince Carter in his prime. Vince was the most exciting player in the world for a time; and even then he could only get the Raps so close. When Vince left, so did the Toronto’s chances of reaching actual “big market” status. And when Bosh is gone next summer to, yes, a bigger market, and Hedo Turkoglu is the focal point of Raps’ marketing, expect that status to drop even more.

http://dimemag.com/2009/07/accept-it-to ... franchise/
Zarko
Veteran
And1: 208

Re: Accept it, Toronto: You 

Post#2 » by Zarko » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:01 pm

lol @ chris bosh won't be a hofer just because he plays in toronto.

Also, Bosh is online because he wants to, its like saying the same thing about GIlbert.
The iL MaGo Era BEGINS
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#3 » by Bankai » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:03 pm

Yea im sure David Stern is dissapointed in the fact that the Toronto Raptors are in the Top 10 of teams making revenue for the NBA according for Forbes, he must be angry about gaining all those millions of $. Just because TNT or ABC or ESPN doesent want to broadcast Raptor games doesent make them highly profitable for the NBA. He is only saying that we arent a big market only because Raptor faces arent plastered on American TV. But when those annual fiscal reports come in, David Stern would like to make out with Bryan Colangelo if he felt like it.
wajr
Bench Warmer
And1: 191

Post#4 » by wajr » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:03 pm

Had to delete my post. Was to quick to reply.
Raps Leafs Jays Gennies
draft
Starter
And1: 8

Post#5 » by draft » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:04 pm

Reggie Miller never won big. He's remembered for his game winning shots but his teams were borderline playoff teams.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#6 » by Komodo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 pm

If there was ever a way to get ESPN, TNT, and ABC on Canadian television, we'd be a very large market, obviously. Where's Fruitman?
Lucky26
Starter
And1: 487

Post#7 » by Lucky26 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 pm

So, the point of this article is to bash Toronto I guess. No matter what kind of pub Bosh would get in the south, he'll make 30 million more if he were to stay here, end of story. Once locked up, I'm sure he'll get way more marketing opportunities in Canada from companies that now know he won't be going anywhere.
I'll play defense when you get a girlfriend
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#8 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 pm

such a stupid article.

a simple explanation.
Toronto isn't a target for ESPN because Toronto isn't an ESPN market.
so why would they show a __________ vs Toronto game when a good portion of viewers of sports games live in the market that's being broadcasted?
rafer madness
Veteran
And1: 19

Post#9 » by rafer madness » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:06 pm

Looks like it's time for Chris to sing "Chocolate Rain"...
Superboy316KING
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Superboy316KING » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:06 pm

what's the point of this article, we know we're not NY or LA. This guy's just pointing what everybody already knows but i can't wait to see the look on all these "reporters" when bosh re-signs.

they're doing everything they can to push for Bosh to leave but he's gonna stay so is Lebron and Wade
inonba
Pro Prospect
And1: 264

Post#11 » by inonba » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:07 pm

I don't see much of the guy, so therefore he's not popular. A frog in the well doesn't see much of the sky, but it doesn't mean the sky isn't big.....it just means you're a frog in the well.
makaveli23
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#12 » by makaveli23 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:07 pm

What makes a team a big-market organization?
"I am crazy, but you know what else: I don't give a damn."
FurBurger
Junior
And1: 0

Post#13 » by FurBurger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:09 pm

Accept it Austin Burton, you are a hack sports reporter for an insignificant publication.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#14 » by hsb » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:10 pm

This again? To much wrong with that article. More fitting if this was 1996.

Lol, at Miami being a big market.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Superboy316KING
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Superboy316KING » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:11 pm

hsb wrote:This again? To much wrong with that article. More fitting if this was 1996.

looll, only thing miami has going for them is the weather...that's it and without wade who knows where they'd be
Muhammad_Ali
Starter
And1: 607

Post#16 » by Muhammad_Ali » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:12 pm

I stopped reading when he said Bosh won't get into the HOF if he plays in T.O.
inonba
Pro Prospect
And1: 264

Post#17 » by inonba » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:12 pm

By his rational, China is a small market because they don't see the Chinese badminton team play.
Boardbreaker
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,880

Post#18 » by Boardbreaker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:14 pm

wait dime actually has writers? i thought it was just full of pictures and ads.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#19 » by hsb » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:14 pm

Superboy316KING wrote:
hsb wrote:This again? To much wrong with that article. More fitting if this was 1996.

looll, only thing miami has going for them is the weather...that's it and without wade who knows where they'd be

Funny thing ESPN replaced a Miami game for the Raptors when the team was actually winning. Meh, I'm tired. This story is 10 years outdated.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#20 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:14 pm

draft wrote:Reggie Miller never won big. He's remembered for his game winning shots but his teams were borderline playoff teams.

What are you talking about?

The Pacers made it deep into the Playoffs a few times with Miller and even made the NBA Finals.

If it wasn't for the Bulls and the Knicks they could of done very well.

Return to Toronto Raptors