ImageImageImageImageImage

Accept it, Toronto: You

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Re: Accept it, Toronto: You 

Post#21 » by Homer Jay » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:15 pm

The internet has changed things, you don't have to be in a big market, to be big time anymore. Lebron is still huge toiling away in Cleveland. Shaq doesn't have a problem being in Cleveland as well... his twitter works as well there as it did in L.A.

Bosh has gotten his biggest marketing boosts by utilizing the Internet in a great and original way for a Sports star. His internet presence won't change by going to a different team, nor is it negated by being in Toronto.

There will always be limitation in any cross-border league, being the Canadian team. But, the internet helps minimize that.

Honestly, Toronto's biggest handicap is the cold weather. It will always be an issue with some players.
engageTHEmasses
Senior
And1: 206

Post#22 » by engageTHEmasses » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Austin Burton owes me a minute and fourteen seconds of my life back.

57 seconds: reading his toilet paper worthy article
3 seconds: near nirvana-like bliss where my rage overwhelmed my cerebral cortex and released a kick of endorphins that almost made me comatose
14 seconds: wiping the vomit off my keyboard so i could type this response

what upsets me most? that what i just wrote is more valuable than Burton's post.

i hope when BC chooses someone to choke out with his mind, thus proving once and for all that he really is a jedi, that it is Austin Burton.
===========
The Boy wrote:
trick wrote:Slavery was also an old-time tradition...

wtf bruh

Derrick Rose wrote:They're saying us and Golden State are the super teams.
makaveli23
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#23 » by makaveli23 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:18 pm

makaveli23 wrote:What makes a team a big-market organization?

Anyone?
"I am crazy, but you know what else: I don't give a damn."
bassmastert
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#24 » by bassmastert » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Accept it dime writer: NY is a big market team and are the laughing stock of the NBA.
" " " " : The world doesn't revolve around the USA.
vinsanity11 wrote:
He was having flashbacks of game 6 last year, he didn't want to be the one who chocked again..
Raptors90102 wrote:
Spell check is your friend..
vinsanity11 wrote:
I spelled it right dumbass...

LOL RealGM at it's finest...
Superboy316KING
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#25 » by Superboy316KING » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Homer Jay wrote:Honestly, Toronto's biggest handicap is the cold weather. It will always be an issue with some players.

It's not any colder here than it is in NY or chicago so that's a non issue
Marz
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#26 » by Marz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:21 pm

So, his entire article is to say: Toronto you're a small market and will never be otherwise!

Cool, now he can write the same type of garbage about other small market teams? No, he probably wont do that, he just doesnt like Toronto or Canada, or both.
Shak23
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#27 » by Shak23 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Austin Burton is a joke.

The basketball world is not just North America. I bet the Raps as a team get more play world wide then any other NBA team. Plus, we are top half in support/attendance.

His argument would hold merit 12 years ago when nobody cared for basketball. The guy has nothing to write except for this so that he can get people to read his crappy articles.
Brezec = Euro Oakley
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,673

Post#28 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:22 pm

The equation is still simple. Win basketball games.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
MacDaddy
RealGM
And1: 428

Post#29 » by MacDaddy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:22 pm

komodo19 wrote:If there was ever a way to get ESPN, TNT, and ABC on Canadian television, we'd be a very large market, obviously. Where's Fruitman?

winning some **** games would be the first thing I'd try...
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,488

Post#30 » by Bankai » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Pardon my expressions, but you will get my point:
Toronto FC is a crown jewel for the MLS in terms of attendance and profit
Toronto Maple Leafs is a crown jewel for the NHL in terms of attendance and profit
Toronto Raptors is a huge Canadian foothold for the NBA in terms of attendance and profit
Toronto Rock is a great example for the NLL in terms of attendance and profit
The only case he probably could get is that the Blue Jays compared the giant profit teams, but they are in no means near the bottom.

All these teams make huge amounts of money for thier respective sports due to advertisments, merchandise, attendance, and corporate sponsorships. And that surely cannot be outdone by someone who suggests otherwise because Bosh isint frequently on ESPN.
wtfbosh
Veteran
And1: 444

Post#31 » by wtfbosh » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:26 pm

haha, dime magazine. all they do is to give verbal blowjobs to lance stephenson.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#32 » by Homer Jay » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:27 pm

Superboy316KING wrote:
Homer Jay wrote:Honestly, Toronto's biggest handicap is the cold weather. It will always be an issue with some players.

No there are player who won't play there as well because of the cold either. I should of mentioned it as an issue for other Teams as well. Miami, L.A., Houston, and other warm weather teams have a real advantage this way.
Aventador
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#33 » by Aventador » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:29 pm

who is tay zonday
engageTHEmasses
Senior
And1: 206

Post#34 » by engageTHEmasses » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:30 pm

The Flyest wrote:who is tay zonday

chocolate rain, man... look it up on youtube.
===========
The Boy wrote:
trick wrote:Slavery was also an old-time tradition...

wtf bruh

Derrick Rose wrote:They're saying us and Golden State are the super teams.
Jatt
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#35 » by Jatt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:32 pm

It's a hack writer looking for some publicity (because Toronto is a VERY BIG 'online' market) so he can make a name of himself and hopefully get the attention of a real "publication".

Q: WHAT DO AMERICAN SPORTS WRITING HACKS DO TO GET SOME PUB?

A: BUST ON TORONTO BECAUSE THAT MAY JUST BE ENOUGH TO GRAB THE NEW YORK POST'S* ATTENTION, IT WORKED FOR PETER VESCEY DURING VC'S HAYDAY RIGHT?!

*That being said, the NY Post is NOT a real publication, it's like Dime printed on toilet paper.
Superboy316KING
Banned User

Post#36 » by Superboy316KING » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:32 pm

Homer Jay wrote:
Superboy316KING wrote:

No there are player who won't play there as well because of the cold either. I should of mentioned it as an issue for other Teams as well. Miami, L.A., Houston, and other warm weather teams have a real advantage this way.

ya but would rather play for a BORING city just because the weather is good or brave it and live in a world class city and have the time of your life
Spartan13
Banned User

Post#37 » by Spartan13 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:33 pm

Something tells me this guys email box is lonely, so he thought hed trash the raptors for relevancy lol.

His overall argument is weak though, the only teams he mentions bigger then us are NYC LA Boston and Miami. Miami was **** in the media this decade before Shaq showed up there, and D-Wade has a good a chance to leave to Chicago as Bosh does. Also, Vince Carter was never bigger when he was with the Raptors, just like how Lebron is with the Cavs now, so maybe its not so much the market in this media climate as it is the player and the teams success. Also, Ive been to NY and ive seen more then 1 Bosh Jersey there, and everyone i talked to who knew enough basketball to name a current Knick player knew who he was. Boston is an interesting market because its not as big, though not small, but is the holy grail of basketball franchises, like the Canadiens are for hockey. If you do well in Boston, your inevitably guaranteed atleast three TNT specials on you being interviewed by a former great player from your position. And hes only looking at it from an american marketing perspective, which of course its better to be in America then Canada if your trying to market yourself in the states, but you do even realize how many fans Bosh has in Spain or Israel or Italy by playing on one of the most international teams in NBA history at the height of Basketballs popularity in the global market? But according to this hack, if your not in LA or NY your not a big market team.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,488

Post#38 » by Bankai » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:34 pm

PS. Also their is also a reason why the NFL and Buffalo Bills are trying to gain a foothold in Toronto ya know... ok im done.
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#39 » by Canucklehead » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:35 pm

lol small market. This guys an american douchebag that thinks if you aren't huge in the US you aren't anything. You can have the US the raptors will take the REST
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#40 » by COY0607 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 pm

so this guy is saying that the spurs would have been on espn and tnt as much as they have been, even if they hadnt made a playoff appearance in the last 5 years...and what king of magazine comes out with such ferocity against a whole city......dont they wanna sell their magazines in this city

Return to Toronto Raptors