ImageImageImageImageImage

Cnd Olympic men's hockey team practice: really #1 story?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,995

Re: Cnd Olympic men's hockey team practice: really #1 story? 

Post#181 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:27 pm

YogiStewart wrote:

there are two comments i can make.
first, Canadians are VERY active on the internet. lead the charge with Myspace and then with Facebook. Raptors' board is disproportionately active considering our TV ratings and such.

that can also skew the # of hockey-related posts, since most hockey fans live in Canada.

I thought it was just old, white Molson and TSN execs that were forcing hockey on our helpless youth? Are they crashing the hockey boards?
Brownman06
Pro Prospect
And1: 169

Post#182 » by Brownman06 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:28 pm

Mayonegg wrote:
Brownman06 wrote:
raptorschick wrote:
is that true people from western canada hate torontonians? why? what is the bigest NHL franchise here in canada?

It's very true. Just mention Toronto, just watch how they react. There's a lot of reasons why they hate Toronto (Maple Leafs, politics, culture, multiculturalism).

rofl. Yea, that's the reason.

Toronto dominates the national media at times which can get annoying. And the Leafs get a hugely disproportionate amount of HNIC spots.

I think that's about it tbh.

Are you from western Canada? I been there before, trust me, they hate everything about Toronto.

A lot of western Canadians don't support Canada's multicultural policy and want Canada to adopt "melting pot" policy. Also, racism is a bigger issue in western Canada than it is in central Canada.

By the way, Coors recently had an ad in BC insulting Toronto, which later got taken down after complains. You can read this story here: http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/682810

Point is that hate for Toronto goes beyond hockey.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#183 » by Reignman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:36 pm

By the way, BBM Neilson has just recently invited me to carry around one of their new portable (mobile) devices. It's about the size of a pager and I'm supposed to keep it on me during the day and it picks up frequencies from cable, satellite and radio anywhere I go. My wife and I will both receive one, so I've decided that I will use my rec room tv for a little experiment. I'm going to leave one of the pagers next to the tv and leave it on The Score or Raps TV all day for as long as I can.

Hopefully I can add to the change that's already taking place.

I haven't received it yet but should in the next week. They do pay a nominal fee of $5 - $20 per month, depending on whether you leave it at home or carry it around with you.

FYI, if you get a phone call at home from BBM Neilson asking if you'd like to do a survey regarding TV and radio programming, do it, that basically qualifies you and your family members for these devices.

Seems Neilson is trying to change their approach to capturing true viewership numbers.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#184 » by dacrusha » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:47 pm

Reignman wrote:By the way, BBM Neilson has just recently invited me to carry around one of their new portable (mobile) devices. It's about the size of a pager and I'm supposed to keep it on me during the day and it picks up frequencies from cable, satellite and radio anywhere I go. My wife and I will both receive one, so I've decided that I will use my rec room tv for a little experiment. I'm going to leave one of the pagers next to the tv and leave it on The Score or Raps TV all day for as long as I can.

I haven't received it yet but should in the next week. They do pay a nominal fee of $5 - $20 per month, depending on whether you leave it at home or carry it around with you.

FYI, if you get a phone call at home from BBM Neilson asking if you'd like to do a survey regarding TV and radio programming, do it, that basically qualifies you and your family members for these devices.

Seems Neilson is trying to change their approach to capturing true viewership numbers.

Awesome.

So instead of 46 people watching some useless Raptor TV program at 130 pm on a Tuesday afternoon, Nielson is going to tally 47 because of your 'trickery'.

Should make a big difference to those fat, white, advertising execs. :lol:
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Nothingface
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#185 » by Nothingface » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Reignman wrote:By the way, BBM Neilson has just recently invited me to carry around one of their new portable (mobile) devices. It's about the size of a pager and I'm supposed to keep it on me during the day and it picks up frequencies from cable, satellite and radio anywhere I go. My wife and I will both receive one, so I've decided that I will use my rec room tv for a little experiment. I'm going to leave one of the pagers next to the tv and leave it on The Score or Raps TV all day for as long as I can.

How can it be an experiment, if you have no way of quantifying the results?

If you are not joking, it would be a pretty crappy thing to do, taking their money and falsifying your data.

edit: I am going to guess that the programs they use to sort the data would probably disqualify your contribution as it would know that there is no way there is a person watching for 24 hr a day...
I do what I feel, not because people ask me to do this,” Bargnani says, holding his hands over his head and doing a strange chicken dance.
Mayonegg
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#186 » by Mayonegg » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Brownman06 wrote:
Are you from western Canada? I been there before, trust me, they hate everything about Toronto.

A lot of western Canadians don't support Canada's multicultural policy and want Canada to adopt "melting pot" policy. Also, racism is a bigger issue in western Canada than it is in central Canada.

By the way, Coors recently had an ad in BC insulting Toronto, which later got taken down after complains. You can read this story here: http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/682810

Point is that hate for Toronto goes beyond hockey.

I'm from Regina. No one really cares about Toronto tbh, it's weird that you think that just mentioning the city fills people with rage. Maybe you just met some weirdo racists?
Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Post#187 » by Kaizen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Yogi:

Our winter national sport is hockey. You can have more then one...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_lacrosse_t ... _of_Canada
Reignman
Banned User

Post#188 » by Reignman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:52 pm

dacrusha wrote:

Awesome.

So instead of 46 people watching some useless Raptor TV program at 130 pm on a Tuesday afternoon, Nielson is going to tally 47 because of your 'trickery'.

Speaking to the rep it seemed that they are going to be sending out quite a few of these devices. I'm not sure how many of the old stay-at-home units are out there, but she gave me the impression that these will be sent to quite a few people. Now keep in mind, since most of these units will be on the street it won't just be about the stay-at-home mom/dad who watches soaps. Signals will be picked up from anywhere you go. Car, bars, electronic stores, etc.

I have no idea what it will mean in the grand scheme of things, but it does seem like an approach that will give them more data than what they've used in the past.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,785

Post#189 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:55 pm

double c wrote:
tha-prince wrote:I havent read the thread but for what it is worth,

This is the last year NHL players get to compete in the Olympics. This is pretty major stuff, as the country bread on Hockey will never see their best players on the highest stage.

Secondly, international Olympics Hockey is one of those things that non sports fans and modest sports fans love to watch, just like the World Cup. Everybody and their mother will be watching this, and so the news story will have a couple more readers for the water cooler talks at work.

When those games start, every bar in Canada will be jammed packed and it will be one of the most fun things to do in recent memory. (Even if you hate hockey.)

Jammed on George Street all the way to Gastown.

This is why I dont understand this thread.

Hockey is what Canadians are BEST at! We are number 1 in the world. Its like asking a Brazilian or an Italian why they like Soccer. They are top rank at the sport.

Now the event where this country can come out number 1 in, (really the only sport) is being held here for the last time ever. How can you not expect people to go **** over it.

Im a sports nut. Basketball, Soccer and Football are above hockey in my books.(After lockout era) I have been excited about this since last year. It really is not hard to see. This really isnt a Hockey debate. Its the CANADIAN national team, who is number ONE in the world. Of course it will be the top story.
Reignman
Banned User

Post#190 » by Reignman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:56 pm

Nothingface wrote:

How can it be an experiment, if you have no way of quantifying the results?

If you are not joking, it would be a pretty crappy thing to do, taking their money and falsifying your data.

edit: I am going to guess that the programs they use to sort the data would probably disqualify your contribution as it would know that there is no way there is a person watching for 24 hr a day...[/quote]

probably.

And by experiment I meant if they sent us some kind of update with the programming we've watch / listened to during a certain month. Haven't received it yet so I'm not sure if they would even bother giving me any of that information. I mean, what use is it to me?

And I have no problems with falsifying this type of data. I mean, if I were on welfare (or filthy rich) and stayed home all day, I'm sure Raps TV would probably be on 80% of the time anyway.
dacrusha
RealGM

Post#191 » by dacrusha » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:02 pm

Reignman wrote:
dacrusha wrote:

Awesome.

Speaking to the rep it seemed that they are going to be sending out quite a few of these devices. I'm not sure how many of the old stay-at-home units are out there, but she gave me the impression that these will be sent to quite a few people. Now keep in mind, since most of these units will be on the street it won't just be about the stay-at-home mom/dad who watches soaps. Signals will be picked up from anywhere you go. Car, bars, electronic stores, etc.

I have no idea what it will mean in the grand scheme of things, but it does seem like an approach that will give them more data than what they've used in the past.

I was a Nielson home from 97-01 and rarely (if ever) missed a Raptor game or basketball related program.

Raptor ratings were still crap despite my contribution, but good luck to your ploy.
m1gs
Ballboy

Re: BBM/Neilson Ratings 

Post#192 » by m1gs » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:08 pm

I used to work for BBM a few years ago in their Don Mills call centre. Back then, we relied upon TV and radio journals, as primitive as it sounds. All that demographic data about ratings is horribly skewed, IMO, as most of the people who accepted to be part of our surveys were old or middle aged, and caucasian. Respondents were also supposed to try to get everyone in the household to cooperate, but I don't think very many actually did. Plus, it was dependent on them filling out what they watched in the booklets. Some areas did receive tv boxes, but not everyone was invited to participate in those.

I can't wait for them to finally roll out the people meters. Hopefully it results in more accurate data, although I have a feeling that adoption will still be an issue. If you get a call from BBM, and they offer to give you a people meter, please accept... hopefully we can at least be more representative of what Canada really wants.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#193 » by hsb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:10 pm

This thread is still going on, wow.

OK, 1 question:

1. If this is not the first sports story yesterday, what should be?

If it isn't, then I can understand the anger toward media outlets forcing this story onto viewers.

If it is, and I do not see why not, there should be no surprise.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Reignman
Banned User

Post#194 » by Reignman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:12 pm

hsb wrote:This thread is still going on, wow.

OK, 1 question:

If it isn't, then I can understand the anger toward media outlets forcing this story onto viewers.

How about Canada's mens basketball team that's actually playing games?
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#195 » by Dennis P » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:16 pm

General board? what does this have to do with Raptors?
hsb
RealGM

Post#196 » by hsb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Reignman wrote:

OK, 1 question:

As an avid basketball fan, of course I would like to see that. But even though it is a story and should be addressed like anything else, I can honestly see why media outlets would prioritize yesterdays first practice of the Olympic mens hockey team over the game versus Mexico.

Not like the womens hockey team gets this type of press.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
dacrusha
RealGM

Post#197 » by dacrusha » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:28 pm

Canada Summer Games are on right now. Perhaps they should be getting front page coverage.
Forderon93
Sophomore

Post#198 » by Forderon93 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Reignman wrote:

OK, 1 question:

That'd be awesome, but unfortunately there just aren't enough Basketball fans nation wide for that.

Are you going to market towards the entire country that wants to hear about the national hockey team? Or towards a select few areas that wants to see the national Basketball team?

I know it sucks being force-fed but Basketball fans are in the minority so why cater to them, when they could cater to the majority(hockey fans).
hsb
RealGM

Post#199 » by hsb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:27 pm

Forderon93 wrote:
Reignman wrote:

OK, 1 question:

That'd be awesome, but unfortunately there just aren't enough Basketball fans nation wide for that.

Are you going to market towards the entire country that wants to hear about the national hockey team? Or towards a select few areas that wants to see the national Basketball team?

I know it sucks being force-fed but Basketball fans are in the minority so why cater to them, when they could cater to the majority(hockey fans).

They should cater to both, and for the most part they do. Just that one has priority over the other and in this case it's the Olympic mens team.
Grizzled
Starter

Post#200 » by Grizzled » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Hendrix wrote:
Grizzled wrote:We could get into a long discussion about this, but I’ll have to pick it up tomorrow. This is a couple of weeks old but it’s the first one that popped up in my search. Make sure you read the discussion about soccer at the top. I believe the Blue Jays are actually drawing a bit bigger numbers than they have in recent years. I think the start they had this year may have had something to do with that. Have a look at the NFL exhibition game numbers and the non-Blue Jays baseball numbers, and those were both weekend games where the numbers should be bigger than on weekdays. Also consider that the sports networks have been pushing MLB and the NFL very hard for years, and they haven’t promoted soccer very much at all.
http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/20 ... tings.html

This was one of the biggest soccer events on Canadian soil in years, promoted like crazy, and didn't come close to your regular everyday CFL, or Blue Jays game you can watch 100's of throughtout the summer. What am I supposed to take from this?

Well, this thread has grown.

90,000 on GolTV? Maybe this game was advertised to death in the GTA, but given that I’ve never even heard of GolTV and hadn’t heard that this game was being televised I wonder how much they advertised outside of the GTA. I assume that most of that advertising was in the GTA, and if they could get that number watching an obscure channel mostly from a region of the country with 15% of the population of Canada then what’s the upside for soccer in this country?

Also note that soccer wouldn’t have to match the CFL’s numbers. The CFL is Canada’s game, as the saying goes. It’s Canada’s national summer sport, just like hockey is our winter sport, but if you look down at the bottom of that list you see the Red Sox at the Yankees drawing 126,000, showing just how little people care about MLB in this country, and an NFL exhibition game drawing 135,000. TSN and Sportsnet should not be carrying this kind of programming at all. There is very little interst in the Blue Jays in this country, but there is virtually no interest in watching a MLB game that doesn’t involve the Blue Jays, even one between the Red Sox and the Yankees. And an NFL exhibition game should also not be carried by Canadian sport channels. Maybe the CRTC needs to step up its rules to force these networks to serve their Canadian audience.

Postby D-Wins-RingsIMO:
I love soccer, but those Real Madrid numbers are a 1 time thing, b/c that was the equivalent of the circus coming to town.

TFC draws 20-50,000 viewers a game even on Sportsnet, which is a **** disaster. The MLS in the US draws like a 0.2 rating on ESPN which is horrid. Hell, their 7:45am season opener for Hull/Chelsea got bigger ratings than a Beckham game in primetime in MLS.

Sure, if there was a way to get EPL or Serie A games here in primetime they'd draw very well, but unfortunately we're stuck with morning games.

I expect that virtually all of the TFC audience comes from the GTA right now, and I think MLS isn’t going to be a national draw until we get one or two other teams in Canada, and in 2011 Vancouver will be in and I don’t think Montreal will be far behind. Calgary may even be able to support a team as there is a huge immigrant population there as well as a strong grass roots soccer program. (Owen Hargreaves was born and played all his soccer in Calgary before being signed to the Bayern Munich under 19 team when he was 16.) Once MLS gains a national profile I think it could really take off, because there are a lot more Canadians who are familiar with the game now, and imo it’s a much better game than it used to be 10 years ago. I think technology – particularly the ability to bend and generally control the ball more - and conditioning have produced a lot more flow and creativity in the game. Long time soccer fans may wish to dispute that but that’s what I see. In the mean time NHL hockey has become the dumbed down and quite boring Bettman style of hockey, and I could easily see a spill over from hockey to soccer. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Canadian MLS games in a few years are regularly drawing audiences of 300,000.

Return to Toronto Raptors