ImageImageImageImageImage

Cnd Olympic men's hockey team practice: really #1 story?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Re: Cnd Olympic men's hockey team practice: really #1 story? 

Post#21 » by YogiStewart » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 pm

sh00n wrote:
ansoncarter wrote:it's the friggin Olympics

that are being held in Canada

Seriously. How can anyone be pissed about that? At least Canada has something to be proud of when it comes to the Olympics; and that's our team taking the gold in hockey.

Can you say the same for Team Canada in basketball? Stop nitpicking because it's hockey.

so where was the coverage at the world speedskating championships last month?
i think that's a more important pre-olympic event than hockey.

its not hockey nit-picking.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#22 » by sh00n » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 pm

YogiStewart wrote:so where was the coverage at the world speedskating championships last month?

When has Canada ever been known as a speedskating country?

We're known for hockey. Some people have to get over that.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
KG1585
Head Coach
And1: 248

Post#23 » by KG1585 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:05 pm

It`s a shame that there is not one reporter that is covering the qualification for World Championships of Basketball, and there are 200+ reporters at a practice.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#24 » by supersub15 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:07 pm

sh00n wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:so where was the coverage at the world speedskating championships last month?

Canada, along with Korea and the Netherlands, are among the best nations in speedskating.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#25 » by Death Knight » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:07 pm

sh00n wrote:

That's the stubborness of Canada. They will fight off any rising sport so that Hockey will forever reign #1. Hockey is scared of other sports.

BTW, we are known for CURLING! Eat that!
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#26 » by Alfred » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:08 pm

The problem is that there are tons of sports journalists employed in this country that have absolutely NO CLUE about anything other than hockey. They are employed year 'round. Do the math.
raptorschick
Senior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by raptorschick » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 pm

KG1585 wrote:It`s a shame that there is not one reporter that is covering the qualification for World Championships of Basketball, and there are 200+ reporters at a practice.
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#28 » by Death Knight » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Alfred wrote:The problem is that there are tons of sports journalists employed in this country that have absolutely NO CLUE about anything other than hockey. They are employed year 'round. Do the math.

In other words, all our journalists are old.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,965

Post#29 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:15 pm

I don't understand the problem.

This is the same kind of treatment the American basketball team gets in the States. These are our star athletes. The kind of names that will attract viewers to the Olympics, which helps everyone involved.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#30 » by Huskies1947 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:17 pm

The winter olympics... no where close to the prestige of the summer olympics which most of the world acknowledges..
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#31 » by Death Knight » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:17 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I don't understand the problem.

This is the same kind of treatment the American basketball team gets in the States. These are our star athletes. The kind of names that will attract viewers to the Olympics, which helps everyone involved.

Hockey is not the only sport in the Olympics. Sidney Crosby ain't gonna attract people to watch downhill skiing.
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#32 » by Death Knight » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 pm

Huskies1947 wrote:

The winter olympics... no where close to the prestige of the summer olympics where most of the world acknowledges..

*sigh* We lost to China in the bid for the 2008 summer Olympics. We can only get winter Olympics............Oh well. :(
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#33 » by sh00n » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 pm

supersub15 wrote:Canada, along with Korea and the Netherlands, are among the best nations in speedskating.

Yeah, but we're not internationally known as a Speed Skating country. That's what I'm trying to say. You ask anybody outside of Canada what sport it's known for, and I guarantee 99% say hockey.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
yayotube
Pro Prospect
And1: 59

Post#34 » by yayotube » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Huskies1947 wrote:

Toronto has a different scene, but all the old heads in the media (some not even from here) would like to remind us that hockey is #1.

Bob McCown shout out ! Can't even hope Team Canada doesn't medal, because then all we'll be hearing is the constant bitching and re-planning of the god damn team. Thank God hockey is declining in popularity... only a couple more years guys...
Grizzled
Starter

Post#35 » by Grizzled » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:21 pm

sh00n wrote:

Canada is a very good speed skating nation, and I think they should be showing more of it, but I don’t think they should be cutting back on hockey. As far as MLB goes they should be running Blue Jays highlights and that’s it. Flash the rest of the scores in print form and then move on. As far as the NFL goes they should be covering only the biggest stories out of training camp, if that. There should be more soccer, more Canadian university sports and more of a variety of other sports. I’m not sure if more NBA coverage is warranted, however. It’s pretty much a niche sport right now.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,556

Post#36 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:22 pm

supersub15 wrote:It's really pathetic. Sportsnet has THREE reporters + a full equipment crew in Calgary. Simon Gagné Has a minor tweak to his hammy, and it's the leading story on all sports casts. I've lived in a soccer-crazed country before, and it never got to this point.

Check who the Sports Editors are at Sportsnet, TSN, FAN590, etc. and you'll know why this is still happening.

I don't watch sports news on TV anymore. I know where to get my soccer, basketball, tennis, racing, etc. fixes on the net.

+1, TV sports networks are a joke. ESPN is the same around the NFL. It's as if other sports don't exist, they'll report on the most meaningless NFL news.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#37 » by Hendrix » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Grizzled wrote:[
MLB is another story, however. Almost everyone in Canada is at least a casual fan of hockey. Almost nobody is a fan of MLB. Television ratings are low. Attendance is low, and yet turn on a sports cast and see how many MLB highlights they play. I get most of my sports news on line now as a result, and I’m proud to say that I can probably name only 2 current Blue Jays.

It's summer. What other sports are supposed to take up all that time on the sportscasts?
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
raptorschick
Senior

Post#38 » by raptorschick » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:31 pm

sh00n wrote:
supersub15 wrote:Canada, along with Korea and the Netherlands, are among the best nations in speedskating.

Yeah, but we're not internationally known as a Speed Skating country. That's what I'm trying to say. You ask anybody outside of Canada what sport it's known for, and I guarantee 99% say hockey.

Lol In Finlande, Russia,Sweden,Norvege, iceland yes the rest of the world don't even know the last time canadians won something in hockey for the simple fact that they d'ont even know what hockey is
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#39 » by Young_Buc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:33 pm

The american basketball team is NOT the top story in US sports when they PRACTICE.... MONTHS in advance of the olympic games.... EVERY DAY.

This type of buffoonery makes Canadians look every bit like every stereotypical image that is thrown our way.
Grizzled
Starter

Post#40 » by Grizzled » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:34 pm

Hendrix wrote:
Grizzled wrote:[
MLB is another story, however. Almost everyone in Canada is at least a casual fan of hockey. Almost nobody is a fan of MLB. Television ratings are low. Attendance is low, and yet turn on a sports cast and see how many MLB highlights they play. I get most of my sports news on line now as a result, and I’m proud to say that I can probably name only 2 current Blue Jays.

It's summer. What other sports are supposed to take up all that time on the sportscasts?

I’d like to see a variety. Soccer is a growing sport in this country. Track and field is another sport that lots of people participate in. You do make a good point, however, in that it’s easy for them to fill up their sports casts with highlight packages that are produced for them by the big American networks, but this is Canada and they should be trying to serve this market and our interests, not American interests. How to make them do that is another question, however.

Return to Toronto Raptors