ImageImageImageImageImage

Cnd Olympic men's hockey team practice: really #1 story?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Re: Cnd Olympic men's hockey team practice: really #1 story? 

Post#201 » by Hendrix » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Grizzled wrote:[
90,000 on GolTV? Maybe this game was advertised to death in the GTA, but given that I’ve never even heard of GolTV and hadn’t heard that this game was being televised I wonder how much they advertised outside of the GTA. I assume that most of that advertising was in the GTA, and if they could get that number watching an obscure channel mostly from a region of the country with 15% of the population of Canada then what’s the upside for soccer in this country?

Also note that soccer wouldn’t have to match the CFL’s numbers. The CFL is Canada’s game, as the saying goes. It’s Canada’s national summer sport, just like hockey is our winter sport, but if you look down at the bottom of that list you see the Red Sox at the Yankees drawing 126,000, showing just how little people care about MLB in this country, and an NFL exhibition game drawing 135,000. TSN and Sportsnet should not be carrying this kind of programming at all. There is very little interst in the Blue Jays in this country, but there is virtually no interest in watching a MLB game that doesn’t involve the Blue Jays, even one between the Red Sox and the Yankees. And an NFL exhibition game should also not be carried by Canadian sport channels. Maybe the CRTC needs to step up its rules to force these networks to serve their Canadian audience.

It wasn't on GolTV, it was on the Rogers preview channel that night. They picked up GolTV's feed or w/e. And all the Raptors tv, Leafs tv channels that I know about were running non stop commercials of it which broadcast to anyone that has those channels in Canada. I'm sure there were other places advertising it as well.

I really don't know what you're proposing. you're saying baseball has no interest so it shouldn't be broadcast. Intrest compared to what? What other sports have shown to be able to replace the 250,000 viewers for a jays game, or 125,000 for a Yankees game? If you don't like it, watch something else. But there's nothing else during those time slots that come close to matching those sports. And if there is, it's probably already picked up by another channel.

Iirc the Raptors have a lot of games around the # given for the Yankee's, Red Sox game too. And rarely go over that Jays game. Should they be booted off the air too?
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
Grizzled
Starter
And1: 0

Post#202 » by Grizzled » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Hendrix wrote:
Grizzled wrote:[
90,000 on GolTV? Maybe this game was advertised to death in the GTA, but given that I’ve never even heard of GolTV and hadn’t heard that this game was being televised I wonder how much they advertised outside of the GTA. I assume that most of that advertising was in the GTA, and if they could get that number watching an obscure channel mostly from a region of the country with 15% of the population of Canada then what’s the upside for soccer in this country?

Also note that soccer wouldn’t have to match the CFL’s numbers. The CFL is Canada’s game, as the saying goes. It’s Canada’s national summer sport, just like hockey is our winter sport, but if you look down at the bottom of that list you see the Red Sox at the Yankees drawing 126,000, showing just how little people care about MLB in this country, and an NFL exhibition game drawing 135,000. TSN and Sportsnet should not be carrying this kind of programming at all. There is very little interst in the Blue Jays in this country, but there is virtually no interest in watching a MLB game that doesn’t involve the Blue Jays, even one between the Red Sox and the Yankees. And an NFL exhibition game should also not be carried by Canadian sport channels. Maybe the CRTC needs to step up its rules to force these networks to serve their Canadian audience.

It wasn't on GolTV, it was on the Rogers preview channel that night. They picked up GolTV's feed or w/e. And all the Raptors tv, Leafs tv channels that I know about were running non stop commercials of it which broadcast to anyone that has those channels in Canada. I'm sure there were other places advertising it as well.

If those are the only places you saw it then I would say that they probably were almost exclusively targeting the GTA. I was kind of busy at that time but I don't remember seeing any adds for it, and I don't live in the GTA.

I really don't know what you're proposing. you're saying baseball has no interest so it shouldn't be broadcast. Intrest compared to what? What other sports have shown to be able to replace the 250,000 viewers for a jays game, or 125,000 for a Yankees game? If you don't like it, watch something else. But there's nothing else during those time slots that come close to matching those sports. And if there is, it's probably already picked up by another channel.

Didn't I just do a nice long post explaining this? Also, the CRTC has rules for a reason. They don't want broadcasters dumping cheap American programming on Canadians and not serving Canadian interests. Playing a Red Sox v. Yankees game that nobody watches is not serving Canadian interests, nor is playing an NFL exhibition game.

Iirc the Raptors have a lot of games around the # given for the Yankee's, Red Sox game too. And rarely go over that Jays game. Should they be booted off the air too?

The Raptors are a Canadian team, in case you hadn't heard.
Forderon93
Sophomore

Post#203 » by Forderon93 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 pm

Grizzled, if there is very little interest in the Jays in this country, where does that leave the Raps then?

The Jays have better TV ratings than the Raps, and we all know there's an interest in the Raps, so to say there's only a little for the Jays isn't something I can agree with.
Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Post#204 » by Kaizen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 pm

You still have not said what you want on instead. Do you want more horse racing?
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#205 » by Death Knight » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:55 pm

So sportsnet didn't even mention Canada basketball. They are also the ones who completely took Raptor games off of their network as well. Did they pick up any of the american feed during the NBA playoffs this past season? I only remember TSN and the TheScore doing so.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#206 » by Death Knight » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:02 am

Forderon93 wrote:Grizzled, if there is very little interest in the Jays in this country, where does that leave the Raps then?

The Jays have better TV ratings than the Raps, and we all know there's an interest in the Raps, so to say there's only a little for the Jays isn't something I can agree with.

1. Jays TV schedule isn't as screwed up as the Raptors are. TSN2? RaptorsTV? I know for a fact that there are still many people who don't even have thescore either, because it's not basic cable.......you have to upgrade to some other package. The Jays? How easy is it...........it's all on sportsnet. That should play a part in ratings.

2. When you force feed and leave people with no choice, there's bound to be a large number of people who will eat it. Some will just walk away, but enough people will eat it and keep the ratings high. I'm sure if we tried to force feed Canadians basketball, they will eventually eat it. Unfortunately, we have never done that.
NAFTA
Bench Warmer

Post#207 » by NAFTA » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:02 am

I read this earlier today but didn't have time to post it while at work. I just got home from the office (FYI - if you're in Toronto, avoid the Gardiner tonight) so I thought I'd put it up. I didn't see it anywhere else and it speaks directly to this thread:

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/eric ... %3D(direct)%7Cutmcsr%3D(direct)%7Cutmcmd%3D(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=209796246

I heard Jack Armstrong talk about it on the air a bit today too (where is MacLean by the way?)
KG1585
Head Coach
And1: 248

Post#208 » by KG1585 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:12 am

Forderon93 wrote:Grizzled, if there is very little interest in the Jays in this country, where does that leave the Raps then?

The Jays don't have to compete with six hockey teams.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#209 » by Huskies1947 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:13 am

I love the Blue Jays... they let me down every year but I still love them...
Forderon93
Sophomore

Post#210 » by Forderon93 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:15 am

Death Knight wrote:

1. Jays TV schedule isn't as screwed up as the Raptors are. TSN2? RaptorsTV? I know for a fact that there are still many people who don't even have thescore either, because it's not basic cable.......you have to upgrade to some other package. The Jays? How easy is it...........it's all on sportsnet. That should play a part in ratings.

2. When you force feed and leave people with no choice, there's bound to be a large number of people who will eat it. Some will just walk away, but enough people will eat it and keep the ratings high. I'm sure if we tried to force feed Canadians basketball, they will eventually eat it. Unfortunately, we have never done that.

How is Baseball force-fed? The only reason it practically get's any coverage is because it's the only big sports league operating during the summer months. TSN and The Score could care less about Baseball, and other than high-lights and the odd game for TSN, they barely cover it at all.

Sportsnet on the other hand OWNS the Jays, so of course they're going to have big time Jays coverage, if Rogers owned the Raptors it'd be the exact same thing.
Forderon93
Sophomore

Post#211 » by Forderon93 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:20 am

KG1585 wrote:

The Jays don't have to compete with six hockey teams.

Yes, and they get their highest ratings during weekend games.

Where they have to compete with 8 CFL teams.
I.D.
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#212 » by I.D. » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:37 am

Hendrix wrote:The NHL strike was the worst imo. I remember turning on Sportscenter, and it would be "Today is day 184 of NHL strike", and they'de some how talk about that for a while before other sports. Even though there was nothing to talk about as nothing had changed from the prior day/week/month.

I can't remember the last time I admitted this, but, I was once a hockey fanatic. Even before soccer, before basketball, hockey was probably the first sport I got into. If you named any player who had played as much as one game on any team in the NHL, I could tell you who they played that game for.

As it stands I haven't watched a complete hockey game in maybe four or five years. And the strike is the reason, not just because there was a strike, but because they covered that insufferable boredom to death. It was way too insulting. The media basically admitting that they'd rather talk about NOTHING, absolute zip, zero, nadda, as long as that nothing was theoretically about hockey, than sooner talk about anything else going on in the wide world of sports. It put me over the edge, albeit I was already tipping, by that point soccer had been my sport for years and years, I'd already had more than a decade of ball under me and I was really starting to be able to "think" the game as well as watch it and as a young minority embarking on adulthood I was growing more and more skeptical of a number of things.

Sad to say though really, because there were good times between hockey and I, really were, but I simply can't get back into it anymore. I do however understand nationwide why it would be sports story 1, 2 and 3, especially outside the major cities and that's fair, cause I've been living fine without it.
“In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself.”
Frantz Fanon
Grizzled
Starter

Post#213 » by Grizzled » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:40 am

I’m not saying that the Jays shouldn’t be covered, and I’m certainly not saying that the Raptors shouldn’t be covered, but I am saying that sports casts shouldn’t be full of MLB highlights when there is very little interest in MLB past the Blue Jays. Jay’s highlights should be shown, and any other truly exceptional plays from around the league, like a triple play or someone hitting for the cycle, etc., but the rest of the scores should be shown without highlights, and then they should move on. This may well free up more time for Raptors coverage and basketball coverage in general. Likewise NFL preseason highlights should not be shown unless something truly exceptional happens. Also, MLB games that do not involve the Jays or are playoff games should not be shown on Canadian channels, nor should NFL exhibition games and maybe no NFL games at all. They’re all over American TV, after all, and there’s no good reason I can think of for Canadian channels to be carrying them. We’ve been hearing about how Canadians are interested in more diverse sports now, so let’s see more of those sports. It’s easy for TSN and Sportsnet to pick up American programming for cheap and dump it on the Canadian public, but that’s not what we want our sports channels to do. That doesn’t serve Canadian interests. Covering Canadian sports would take more work and investment for them, and that means that the bottom line guys will resist, but if the field is levelled though CRTC regulations then they may not object too much. They may even enjoy showing Canadian sports instead of highlights of Billy-Bob McGee from Podunk Arkansas catching a fly ball on the warning track of Yankee Stadium.
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#214 » by James_Raptors » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:41 am

I've always hated this time of the year for the past decade or so, especially, considering how crappy the Jays have been.It trully is the "dog days of summer". Thank goodness I have other (RL) things to occupy my time and take me into the start of the NFL season (right around the corner) NHL and then NBA.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater

Return to Toronto Raptors