ImageImageImageImageImage

Cnd Olympic men's hockey team practice: really #1 story?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Re: Cnd Olympic men's hockey team practice: really #1 story? 

Post#81 » by Death Knight » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:03 am

You check the last page of the HFboard and it goes as far back as 2003....................Then you check realgm and the furthest back it goes is 2008.

Nice try though....
Forderon93
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#82 » by Forderon93 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:05 am

Death Knight wrote:You check the last page of the HFboard and it goes as far back as 2003....................Then you check realgm and the furthest back it goes is 2008.

Nice try though....

Yea, and I didn't know that.

But go to the Leafs forum since back 03, tell me how many Basketball-bashing threads you find and compare that with a years worth of Hockey bashing threads on here

Hockey fans are indifferent to Basketball as I said, and if they're not indifferent to it they're casual fans to it. A lot of people on here yet still maintain this aura that there's some sort of rivalry between Hockey and Basketball fans.
Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Post#83 » by Kaizen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:06 am

The point is the average basketball fan bashes hockey a lot more frequently then the average hockey fan. That is what he tried to say.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#84 » by Death Knight » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:08 am

Yea, but here is the thing. When you're leading, like hockey is, you usually just sit back. When you're trying to come from behind, like basketball is, you're going to fight a lot harder.

Hockey fans are getting way more, if not TOO MUCH, Hockey. Basketball fans aren't getting enough. Of course we are gonna have more to say. If you're getting lobster, while someone else eats out of the trash can, who do you think is going to have more to say?
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#85 » by The Duke » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:10 am

CZAR85 wrote:1) Fine. The only post I saw was somebody saying we are not known as a speed-skating nation first. Of course we are a speed-skating nation. We produced a few of the very best the sport has ever seen.

2) They fixed the problem they had with the qualifying rounds in time for 2006. That is no longer a problem. We were not just not winning Gold. We were getting killed by other countries pros. The fact you would prefer that then seeing our best players worries me but that is your opinion.

3) When were we ever a big swimming nation? 1992? I would love if you had some stats to back it up and do not use the year the Soviets boycotted to help your case. Hayden won a Gold Medal in the 100 Free. I did not even know he was a contender in the 200 free. You feel like ignoring the Women's events all together? Show them some respect. They have been carrying our country in Winter and Summer Olympics for a while now. Every other country wants to be good in the glamour events as well. You take what you can get.

2) I also like how you implied that Team Canada was "killed" in the Oympics without NHL players, while in retospect, we were still one of the most decorated Hockey countries by medal count. Yea I saw the Canada/Sweeden Shootout back in the day, where we ended up getting silver that year. If your talking about getting killed in the olympic hockey talk abt countries like Kazakhstan, not Canada....

3)I'm talking about Olympics... and he never medaled in the 100m Free. In fact if my memory serves me, he did not even make the Finals at the Olympics in 2008, and he didnt at the 2009 Worlds. And I didnt ignore women... where talking swimming here so lets continue... what was the last female canadian swimmer to win an olympic medal? I think it was in 1996 with Marian Limpart in the IM
Kaizen
Starter

Post#86 » by Kaizen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:11 am

The thing is you are more likely to push the neutral fans away instead of drawing more fans in. I know I do not appreciate seeing my favourite sport bashed all the time.
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#87 » by Hassassin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:16 am

Forderon93 wrote:Yea, and I didn't know that.

But go to the Leafs forum since back 03, tell me how many Basketball-bashing threads you find and compare that with a years worth of Hockey bashing threads on here

Hockey fans are indifferent to Basketball as I said, and if they're not indifferent to it they're casual fans to it. A lot of people on here yet still maintain this aura that there's some sort of rivalry between Hockey and Basketball fans.

Basketball fans hate hockey because of the coverage it(and other sports) receives compared to hockey and I'm sure most of them are aware about hockey's place in Toronto/Canada. Its a basketball board, what did you expect? A lot of users here don't give 2 **** about hockey

And hockey fans are indifferent to basketball because they are the majority. If basketball received the same coverage as hockey did in Canada, hockey fans would be bitching as well.

Death Knight wrote:BTW, didn't realgm have to reset it's board a while back?

Yes they did.
Kaizen
Starter

Post#88 » by Kaizen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:17 am

2) We did not win a single medal from 1972 until 1992. That is sad. It is good that we finally turned things around in the 90's and maybe we would continue that but I repeat I do not want to watch 21 no names representing our country when we could just set an age limit like soccer.

3) You seem to only care about the Olympics. The World Championships are a big deal to the swimmers and Hayden won a Gold Medal there. The women are doing better there as well. You can not use one event every 4 years to determine whether we are progressing or not. The women did well there and give them a chance to show whether they will do well in 2012.
Mayonegg
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#89 » by Mayonegg » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:21 am

Huskies1947 wrote:Canada's sports scene is pretty pathetic.. I think everyone knows that...

That's why CFL Ratings are so high, and some cities are drooling over the potential of getting a MLS team.

That's a bad example. The CFL puts out a good product imo.

Hendrix wrote:The NHL strike was the worst imo. I remember turning on Sportscenter, and it would be "Today is day 184 of NHL strike", and they'de some how talk about that for a while before other sports. Even though there was nothing to talk about as nothing had changed from the prior day/week/month.

The NHL strike is what got me to start watching basketball, and I love it for that :D .

I live in the prairies and am lucky if we get an AP story about basketball once a week in the newspaper. Even the playoff/finals coverage is pathetic because every aspect of the NHL playoffs gets huge space. I can't blame them, since everyone loves hockey here. I'll never forget the look I got last year when a guy asked me if I had seen the game the night before and I asked "basketball or hockey?" :P . I think that was after a bulls/celts game too and I was excited to talk about it....

This would be worth complaining about if it wasn't so easy to keep up with the news I want online. I don't really care what the top story in my local paper or SC is since I can read about the NBA and NFL in-depth so easily.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#90 » by Alfred » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:21 am

CZAR, I can see where you are coming from, but I think the "hockey bashing" phenomenon is the same reason people hate the Maple Leafs in other parts of the country. The Leafs, despite not having good teams, have dominated sports coverage around the country, and have only recently lost their spot as the prime-time team on HNiC.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#91 » by The Duke » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:31 am

CZAR85 wrote:2) We did not win a single medal from 1972 until 1992. That is sad. It is good that we finally turned things around in the 90's and maybe we would continue that but I repeat I do not want to watch 21 no names representing our country when we could just set an age limit like soccer.

3) You seem to only care about the Olympics. The World Championships are a big deal to the swimmers and Hayden won a Gold Medal there. The women are doing better there as well. You can not use one event every 4 years to determine whether we are progressing or not. The women did well there and give them a chance to show whether they will do well in 2012.

2)Your judging this solely from a Canadian perspective. IOC doesnt care what 1 individual country does in a sport. The fact is almost all olympic events are amature atheletes, and there are alot of people in the IOC that want that changed. Will it happened.. Doubt it. But its not because Canada has done better.

3) Why am I only mentioning Olympics, cuz we were dicussing Olympics. And plus the swimming world championship never got much coverage as you know, which is another problem in its own regard. Hayden won at World in 07. Didnt make finals in 08 and 09. We'll see what they have in 2012, and while I agree u dont use 1 race every 4 years to determine progression in a sport, the Olympics is still the gold standard event... The Olympics gets the coverage, the full coverage, and so far in the olympics for swimming the entire Canadian Swim program is still far lagging behind.
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#92 » by jaymeister15 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:38 am

Meh, usually I'm not a big fan of the constant hockey coverage.

But, right now, its not like there is much else going on sports wise, so who cares?
basketball420
Head Coach
And1: 461

Post#93 » by basketball420 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:08 am

I love these threads because it is very interesting to hear the different thoughts and opinions on the sports media scene in Canada. The facts are TV is driven by advertising dollars. Advertising dollars in Candada in Sports is put mainly into hockey.
I grew up playing basketball my entire life, and when I was younger we got ONE game a week on TV, and it was usually a Lakers or Celtics game...nothing wrong with that but you guys are so spoiled now with internet access and lots of sports options on TV. The fact that a Canadian Sports broadcast LEADS with hockey should not be a shock to anyone. I am a huge NBA fan, but I also know where my bread is buttered. When I make my line up tomorrow I can guarantee I am leading with 7 minutes of hockey...it is what it is. Do I think it's the lead? Yes, is it what I want as a sports fan? Probably not , but I realize I am not in the majority as a sports fan...when I was in Europe I hated that every day all I could watch was soccer but I realize that is what the majority of the people were watching.
Good news is though...there is a new thing called a people meter which will hopefully give more accurate readings of viewerships across the country...if basketball truly is as popular as I believe it is we will see a difference in ratings in the next few years and maybe even a change in how Sports is delivered in Canada.
Helloooo
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#94 » by whoknows » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:14 am

sh00n wrote:...
You ask anybody outside of Canada what sport it's known for, and I guarantee 99% say hockey.

you're kidding, right?

Outside Canada the world doesn't give a s**t about hockey (very few exceptions but even there soccer is bigger).
So Canada is not know for any international sports since most Canadians don't bother to spend any real time in developing kids in international sports. They prefer (so far) to waste time on the stupid hockey game. I love Canada but hate the "hockey culture" shoved up our throat by ignorant media.
whoknows
General Manager

Post#95 » by whoknows » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:15 am

torontoaces04 wrote:OP, you live in Canada. Hockey will always be the #1 sport, unless immigration side swipes the rest of Canada like it has the GTA.

It doesnt matter it it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs, or Pierre Mcguire getting a haircut to call a game, it'll be bigger national sporting news than anything else (especially basketball).

If you can't handle it, head south, but don't expect any Raps coverage down their either.

or expect any correct spelling on this board....
ansoncarter
Head Coach
And1: 367

Post#96 » by ansoncarter » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:16 am

whoknows wrote:
You ask anybody outside of Canada what sport it's known for, and I guarantee 99% say hockey.

you're kidding, right?

Outside Canada the world doesn't give a s**t about hockey (very few exceptions but even there soccer is bigger).
So Canada is not know for any international sports since most Canadians don't bother to spend any real time in developing kids in international sports. They prefer (so far) to waste time on the stupid hockey game. I love Canada but hate the "hockey culture" shoved up our throat by ignorant media.

he's right

your wrong
RapTelligence
General Manager
And1: 96

Post#97 » by RapTelligence » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:16 am

At one time it would bother me. Now I just ignore it. If the majority of Canadians need to hear Howard Berger tell them that Sydney Crosby shared his donut with Rick Nash during a Olympic get together, then so be it. I don't have to listen to it. I just change the channel.

If they need to analyse the draft of 18 years olds (80% of whom will never make the NHL) over 3 days then great. Obviously many people have alot of time on their hands to waste on such programming. Maybe its our cold weather.
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#98 » by Hassassin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:30 am

RapTelligence wrote:At one time it would bother me. Now I just ignore it. If the majority of Canadians need to hear Howard Berger tell them that Sydney Crosby shared his donut with Rick Nash during a Olympic get together, then so be it. I don't have to listen to it. I just change the channel.

If they need to analyse the draft of 18 years olds (80% of whom will never make the NHL) over 3 days then great. Obviously many people have alot of time on their hands to waste on such programming. Maybe its our cold weather.

+1
whoknows
General Manager

Post#99 » by whoknows » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:34 am

Forderon93 wrote:
Death Knight wrote:You check the last page of the HFboard and it goes as far back as 2003....................Then you check realgm and the furthest back it goes is 2008.

Nice try though....

Yea, and I didn't know that.

It is not hate against the game itself - which a lot bball fans ignore/don't care.
It is the hate against the way mass media shoves down our throats at all time.
Get it?
whoknows
General Manager

Post#100 » by whoknows » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:35 am

ansoncarter wrote:
whoknows wrote:

you're kidding, right?

he's right

your wrong

you're wrong

Return to Toronto Raptors