ImageImageImageImageImage

A close look at Raps top-ranked offense.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

power works
Sixth Man
And1: 241

A close look at Raps top-ranked offense. 

Post#1 » by power works » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:07 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/10687/whats-working-for-the-raptors

That being the case, it's hard to look at the Toronto's top-ranked offense through nine games (113.7 points per 100 possessions) and not conclude that this season's Raptors squad is doing something right.

Raptors head coach Jay Triano cites the number of versatile playmakers as the pivotal factor for that gaudy offensive rating.

"So many of our guys are unselfish," Triano said. "They don't necessarily have to make plays for themselves. They make plays for their teammates."

Though Chris Bosh is unquestionably the Raptors' go-to guy, the team's reliance on mutual playmaking starts with Hedo Turkoglu. While many coaches would prefer to have the prototypically athletic small forward, Triano sees a wing like Turkoglu as the fulcrum of an offense predicated more on faciliation than on one-on-one slashing.

...Not that we should discount the prominence of one-on-one play in the Raptors' offense. Bosh has been destroying opposing big men, both in the post and off the dribble. But that dramatic improvement isn't merely the byproduct of adding off-season muscle or, dare we suggest, being in a contract year.

"When you have a guy who's 6-10, can dribble and create, it helps a lot," Bosh said. "[Turkoglu] is very unselfish. He has a knack for passing and finding me in good spots."

The Raptors' bigs have been running a dizzying array of pick-and-rolls that has been nearly impossible to defend. Turkoglu's exploits as the ball-handler in these situations are well-known to anyone who tuned into the 2009 postseason. Pairing him with forward-center Andrea Bargnani on a pick-and-pop is treacherous for the defense, because Bargnani has unlimited range along the perimeter. If you trap Turkoglu, a defender has to rotate onto Bargnani from the weak side. You can forget about sliding a defender up from the post, because Turkoglu is more than happy to find Bosh down on the block, where he's been lethal. Then there's the Turkoglu/Bosh pick-and-roll -- the kind of set that keeps defensive assistants up at night.

It's not just the big men that enable Triano to execute his offensive plan.

"Jose [Calderon] shares the ball extremely well," Triano said. "Then when [Marco] Belinelli comes in, he does the same thing. So does Jarrett Jack."

Triano's second-favorite five-man unit includes both Calderon and Jack (both point guards), along with Turkoglu (who can be fairly characterized as a point forward). The offensive rating of that unit?

128.2 points per 100 possessions.
C3SIUM
Starter
And1: 693

Re: A close look at Raps top-ranked offense. 

Post#2 » by C3SIUM » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:47 am

cool article, thanks
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#3 » by Kabookalu » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:57 am

Triano's second-favorite five-man unit includes both Calderon and Jack (both point guards)...

FML this is also the set up I hate THE MOST.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#4 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:02 am

Thanks for the article. The interesting about this is that many poster predicted that this is what would happen with this offense so it's not a huge surprise. Smitch used to pick and roll with Bosh and Calderon over and over again. With this lineup you can pick and roll/pop with Turk/Calderon and Bosh/Bargnani. And depending on defensive scheme Bosh can get easier touches because if you hedge on that pick and pop with Turk and Bargs you might leave Bosh open.

There's was an article in the preseason on the 7 plays the Raptors should run. I'm going to see if I can find it an post it. I know one of the plays was give it to Derozan and let him slash. It hasn't happened yet but if Derozan gets that ability then it would make the offense even better.

Edit: Alright here's the article I was talking about - http://raptorsrepublic.com/2009/08/30/7 ... hould-run/
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#5 » by Kabookalu » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:04 am

And to think that I personally don't believe we have seen the best of this offense yet (aside from the Hornets game). It seems like we're still working out a few kinks and the sooner that Triano realizes that Belinelli is a quality rotation player, the better it is for us.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#6 » by vini_vidi_vici » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:07 am

Choker wrote:And to think that I personally don't believe we have seen the best of this offense yet (aside from the Hornets game). It seems like we're still working out a few kinks and the sooner that Triano realizes that Belinelli is a quality rotation player, the better it is for us.

I definately agree, I still expect a couple big games by Hedo, and I think Calderon is just starting to turn the corner offensively to his plateau. Our offense is so scary because as opposed to previous years we can have one of our big 4 struggle and still have 3 legit scorers on the floor and usually one off the bench Jack/Belli.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#7 » by Trilogy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:11 am

Choker wrote:
Triano's second-favorite five-man unit includes both Calderon and Jack (both point guards)...

Agreed.

Duel PG and Antoine Wright make Rap fans go crazy.
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,836

Post#8 » by Live Free » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:20 am

Our offense is looking great, hopefully we run some more Pick and Rolls with Turk instead of Jose, its more effective that way imo

also i'm eager to see what Sonny can bring with some PT...
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,667

Post#9 » by SkywalkerAC » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:42 am

I don't think we've seen the best from this offense yet either. It's not like we've been ballin way over our heads. We should be able to clean up our rebounding and start getting more transition hoops, our point guards are only just starting to round into form, and Derozan is certain to get better as the season goes along.

Wright's FG% should go up as the season moves along and he settles into his role. And the 2-point guard lineup is generating a lot of offense.
Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Post#10 » by Sifu » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:57 am

mad-mo wrote:Our offense is looking great, hopefully we run some more Pick and Rolls with Turk instead of Jose, its more effective that way imo

also i'm eager to see what Sonny can bring with some PT...

Sonny is way too inconsistent a shooter. He's got some insane hops - more than DeRozen. If he works on his midrange jumper game, he'll be a solid player.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,340

Post#11 » by Scase » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:03 am

Trilogy wrote:
Choker wrote:

Agreed.

Duel PG and Antoine Wright make Rap fans go crazy.

Choker wrote:

The offensive rating of that unit?

128.2 points per 100 possessions.

Complain as much as you like, you can't argue that stat.

I'm not a huge fan of it myself but if it ain't broke.....
Props TZ!
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#12 » by Kabookalu » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:10 am

http://www.82games.com/0910/0910TOR2.HTM

We also give up 138 points per 100 possessions with that unit.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,340

Post#13 » by Scase » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:12 am

Thought this thread was about offense......
Props TZ!
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#14 » by Kabookalu » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:19 am

Annnnnnd the offense wasn't what I was complaining about. I was remarking how Triano said playing Jack and Calderon together was hit favourite set up and then I replied how that was the set up I hate the most.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#15 » by LiSTWithLani » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:29 pm

couldn't agree with Choker more. As the article states, Belinelli and Turkoglu can both play as a 'second point guard' out there, so why give up easier points on defence with Jack guarding the 2 when you can have Belinelli and/or Turkoglu out there with Jose? It just doesn't make sense to me. I'd be more than happy with 26 mins of Jose and 22 of Jack!
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#16 » by J Dilla » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:38 pm

I think Triano might be bipolar with Bellinelli. He'll sit NelliBeli as soon as he chucks a bad shot, and then we're forced to see Jack/Jose once again.

i think this second unit will be a well balanced unit offensively and defensively

Johnson
Evans/Bosh/Barg
Wright
Bellinelli
Jack
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,971

Post#17 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:48 pm

I think Jack-Calderon on the court together is all about contracts.
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#18 » by inrapscity » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:05 pm

good article. however, i think we all know that the problems really are with our defense and rebounding.
Grizzled
Starter
And1: 0

Post#19 » by Grizzled » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:06 pm

It’s too early to be passing judgement on Calderon – Jack backcourt. It hasn’t worked well because Jack hasn’t been playing well. Let’s wait until his game comes around and try it again then. I’m sure we played them together early in the year because we’d made promises to Jack that he would get some minutes at SG. Obviously Jack is never going to be more than backup PG with Jose here and I’m sure we promised him time at SG to boost his minutes, but he’s a team guy and he knows he’s struggling and I’m sure he won’t object to having his minutes cut back in the short term because if it. That’s how it works and he knows it.
Grizzled
Starter
And1: 0

Post#20 » by Grizzled » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:08 pm

On the article, I think that’s a very good article that sums up our current position quote well.

Return to Toronto Raptors