ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Stephen Jackson to Charlotte for Raja Bell, Vlad-Rad

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Re: OT: Stephen Jackson to Charlotte for Raja Bell, Vlad-Rad? 

Post#41 » by douggood » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:47 pm

i never thought that jackson was a good defendor. his 1on1 defense is just ok, its just that he takes more risks and therefore is able to get more steals, at the risk of leaving his man wide open.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#42 » by Mustard_Tiger » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:50 pm

lllleviathanlll wrote:The dude is right. Jackson is a cancer.

Define cancer. I've never had anybody properly do that for me.

The only time his stats improved dramatically, we won 29 games. He may be a good passes and decent shooter, but his stats are from the expense of his teammates.

The Warriors won the most games they've won since 1993 largely because of Stephen Jackson. They beat Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavs largely because of Stephen Jackson. When he acts as a role player, he is a good piece to the puzzle.

Go ahead and look at our Warriors board, they are totally happy!

Something tells me the masses aren't any more basketball savvy over there than they are over here.
Russ369
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#43 » by Russ369 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:50 pm

supersub15 wrote:Raja Bell = their defense.

They were always decent defensively, they needed the offense... Raja Bell was injured for most of the season so far and they are top 10 in defense...
redeye514
Analyst
And1: 4,791

Post#44 » by redeye514 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:50 pm

On the topic of drooling.... Bargnani for Joe Johnson makes me drool.... flip whatever expiring crap we have, throw in a pick or DeRozan if required, for Okafor, and then THAT will be an NBA team worth talking about.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#45 » by dacrusha » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:
supersub15 wrote:Why are posters still drooling over Jackson? Dude is a cancer, and isn't anything special to start with. Geez.

Stop relying on your advanced statistics so much for once and actually watch the games. Defense is half of basketball. Jackson has proven himself as a role player on 3 successful teams so far in his NBA career.

Great, as a role player he's fine... but as a leader (which he is being asked to be in Charlotte) he's been nothing short of a cancer on both Indiana and GS.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#46 » by Mustard_Tiger » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:51 pm

dagger wrote:
Mustard_Tiger wrote:
supersub15 wrote:Why are posters still drooling over Jackson? Dude is a cancer, and isn't anything special to start with. Geez.

Stop relying on your advanced statistics so much for once and actually watch the games. Defense is half of basketball. Jackson has proven himself as a role player on 3 successful teams so far in his NBA career.

Take some of your own advice and watch the Bobcats. They have decent defence - what they lack is any semblance of offence. Scoring points, not preventing them, is far and away their issue.

What does this have to do with the Bobcats? I never said I understood the trade from their perspective.
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#47 » by KingstonRaptors » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Expiring contracts FTW!
Credit to triplemke23 for the sig.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#48 » by Mustard_Tiger » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:52 pm

dacrusha wrote:
Mustard_Tiger wrote:

Great, as a role player he's fine... but as a leader (which he is being asked to be in Charlotte) he's been nothing short of a cancer on both Indiana and GS.

Fans also don't see the respect Jackson has from every coach and teammate he's had. "Love him," Tim Duncan says of the man he considers one of his all-time favorite teammates. "He's had his issues, but he's got the right thing in mind." No matter how many minutes he played when he was with the Spurs, Jackson would kick chairs and sling towels whenever coach Gregg Popovich pulled him from a game. Still, says Popovich, "I know his heart. He's a sweet man."

Look how terrible the guy is.
redeye514
Analyst
And1: 4,791

Post#49 » by redeye514 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:55 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:
Fans also don't see the respect Jackson has from every coach and teammate he's had. "Love him," Tim Duncan says of the man he considers one of his all-time favorite teammates. "He's had his issues, but he's got the right thing in mind." No matter how many minutes he played when he was with the Spurs, Jackson would kick chairs and sling towels whenever coach Gregg Popovich pulled him from a game. Still, says Popovich, "I know his heart. He's a sweet man."

Posters like calling passionate out spoken players who are not politely correct a 'cancer' because it is an easy thing to do.
danny-callahan
Head Coach
And1: 84

Post#50 » by danny-callahan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:55 pm

Doesn't Wallace play the 3? Who comes off the bench then, unless they go huge and play Wallace and Jax at the 2/3...

I like it for the Cats, considering they got him for very little.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#51 » by Komodo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:57 pm

The Bobcats got the best player in the deal. He improves their offense and he has experience. It's an upgrade, but they're still a long ways off.
lllleviathanlll
Junior
And1: 0

Post#52 » by lllleviathanlll » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:57 pm

[quote=
Why should I listen to a biased scorned Warriors fan? Stephen Jackson was the crucial piece of
your only playoff series in the last 16 years when he shutdown Dirk. He won a ring in San Antonio and Tim Duncan said he was his favorite team mate. When he was on Indiana they were a playoff team since hes been gone they've been irrelevant.

As for the Warriors there still gonna be a mess as long as Don Nelson is there. Nothing changes
they were a mess before Jax got there and they will be a mess now that hes gone. I guess
Monta Ellis can be the new whipping boy. I can understand that you guys are pissed that he wanted a trade after he signed that extension but at least he didn't quit like Vince Carter did.[/quote]

Because it's not just me, it's about 90% of the fans that wants him out. He may had those stats because he was in the position to. So you can say that Fisher is still really good and he won a ring just last year? At least Carter quit on you guys, he's not a cancer. Jackson was all for himself. He froze out our players and did not share the ball, only to monta. It is worst that quitting. There's two side of Jack, it's either he like it and he'll do good, or he'll completely ruin everything. Please watch some warriors game before you talk. Also, Duncan said he was the best teammate, but that was Duncan.

"Two Warriors players told Yahoo! Sports that Jackson’s unresolved status had become too much of a distraction and that the team would not be able to make any significant improvement until he was traded."
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#53 » by will » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Captain Jack is fantastic!
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#54 » by dacrusha » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:
dacrusha wrote:
Mustard_Tiger wrote:Stop relying on your advanced statistics so much for once and actually watch the games. Defense is half of basketball. Jackson has proven himself as a role player on 3 successful teams so far in his NBA career.

Jackson last week:

"I know a couple years ago, when we had Baron and all those guys, I would upset right now losing by 30. Right now, it’s not bothering me. … I think I’m doing a good job. I don’t have any techs — yet. I’m in a good mood right now after getting beat by 60. So hey, I’m doing good for myself right now.”

Sounds a lot like another Larry Brown favorite, A.I.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
HighOctane
Lead Assistant
And1: 363

Post#55 » by HighOctane » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:00 pm

Don't get it twisted. S-Jax is still very capable of balling. And when he'll go downhill he will be in denial, but at this point in his career, he averaged 20 pts a game last year and 7 apg. He can not just chuck, but dish at a very high efficiency for a SG.

Felton
Jackson
Wallace
Diaw
Chandler

I think he will turn them around, not very much but expect a mild surprise. Diaw and Jackson are very good passers and Felton can run and gun. With Augustine off the bench they have a small scoring punch. On the wings, Wallace and Jackson are going to be a small dynamic duo and if Chandler regains form they should be a stable team.
Carlos Rogers
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#56 » by Carlos Rogers » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:07 pm

sump wrote:I don't quite understand why whenever a player ends up on the block raps fans are dubbing that specific player the Raptors saviour and a must have commodity? This makes no sense at all IMO.

Jackson is a 30+ year old chucker who is a cancer to any team he has played for. Don't you think that if the Spurs loved his game so much they would have resigned him after winning a title? No because he didn't do Jack. Cap'n Jack is nothing but a guy who runs up the floor with the ball jacks up a contested 3 runs back and plays sub-par defense.

If we are looking to make a deal the only one that makes sense IMO is Bargnani for Joe Johnson.

Pretty much everything you wrote is wrong....

And this is my last post about Stephen Jackson because quite frankly im not gonna bother with
people that don't want to look at things objectively. If I can admit to some of his flaws then
then people should admit to some of his strengths. Other then that your just hating
and you have no plan on budging on that.

As for this post

"Jackson is a 30+ year old chucker who is a cancer to any team he has played for"

He won a ring with the Spurs, He shutdown one of the best players in the world who was
out of his position in the biggest upset in playoffs history, and was a vital piece of a Pacers team who was a playoff team all the years he was there. Since hes been traded they've been Irrelevant. As for a "Chucker" he got that label from playing in Don Nelsons system. If he was such a cancer and chucker they wouldn't have given him that contract in the first place and they wouldn't have tried to ignore his trade request when he gave it.

"Don't you think that if the Spurs loved his game so much they would have resigned him after winning a title? No because he didn't do Jack"

These are one of those moronic quotes people use on their profile. Do your research buddy
Stephen Jackson was ballin that year the Spurs couldn't afford him and he was about to get
paid! Tim Duncan called him his favorite team mate. This little thing we call the Salary Cap got in the way.

" Cap'n Jack is nothing but a guy who runs up the floor with the ball jacks up a contested 3 runs back and plays sub-par defense. "

Sub Par Defense? :lol:

I guess Larry Brown should be notified. I think he knows a thing or 2 about Defense and has assembled some of the best Defenders on his roster.

Ok thats enough for now this is a dead issue it will be settled between the lines on the Hard
court and we will see how it plays out. But im not gonna Babysit anymore if im not gonna get paid for it.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#57 » by Rhettmatic » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:12 pm

I like this deal for Charlotte. Jackson gives them a bit more scoring and he's another guy who can defend. They have some pretty versatile pieces now too. And if it doesn't work out, I don't think it'd be hard to find a taker for Jackson in the summer or at the deadline.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,060

Post#58 » by v1n5anity » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:13 pm

atleast he didn't end up in Cleveland.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,417

Post#59 » by Tha Cynic » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Jackson basically gives you the same scoring Turkuglu does, minus the play-making, but with better defense.

The trade really wouldn't have helped this team much.

The bad thing about this trade is that if this improves the Bobcats, then the Raptors are in trouble. They're going to be battling with Charlotte one of those last playoff spots.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#60 » by Canucklehead » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:22 pm

If he doesn't work out he'll get dealt again near the deadline for expirings and/or picks to a contender. Likely a good move by Charlotte although there fans seem to hate the move for the most part.

Return to Toronto Raptors