ImageImageImageImageImage

*Updated* Turkoglu's usage rate is lowest in 5 years!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TheGameWinner
Veteran
And1: 1,362

Re: *Updated* Turkoglu's usage rate is lowest in 5 years! 

Post#121 » by TheGameWinner » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:26 am

Sorry to bump this, but I was wondering about his usage rate the last two games... he got 7 assists... I don't know how it exactly works... can we have an update?
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#122 » by HomieOmey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:33 am

He's definitely been given more responsibility, its been nice to watch!!
TurboZ
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#123 » by Double Helix » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:39 am

He's up to 19.16 now so he is on the rise.

His shot attempt totals are still pretty low though for a player as versatile as he is. He took 14 shots today but before than he only took 9 and 7 and 11.

You look around the league and you'll see that most "top 3" players on any starting lineup average around 14 shots per game. Hedo's average 10.6

It's been better though. I can stand the misses. He just needs to get used to shooting 12-14 per game and those shots will start dropping more consistently.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#124 » by Double Helix » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Updated Hedo's usage rate for January 22, 2010 in the OP. He's below the league avearge for SFs again in usage.

Some more interesting Hedo notes:

He's currently averaging only 10 shots per game, good enough for 16th overall in FGAs for SFs who play more than 20 minutes per game. There is only 1 other SF in the league averaging more than 20 minutes per game and taking less shots than Hedo while scoring more points. Richard Jefferson averages 9.9 shots per game and has the exact disappointing scoring average that Hedo has at the moment, while Kelenna Azuibuike avearges 9.8 shots per game and 1 more point. All other SFs taking 10 shots or less like Hedo at the moment are also averaging less points per game which begs the question... is he really under-performing here or is it more a matter of him sometimes being the 4th (Bosh, Bargs and Jose/Jack than Hedo?) option on a team that likes to share the ball a lot and put a ton of different players into double digits?

The evidence is as follows:

His usage rate is the lowest it's been in 5 years.
His total shooting percentage is a respectable mid 50s.
He's only taking 10 shots per game.
Only 1 other player taking .2 shots less per game is averaging more points than he is at the SF position.
Richard Jefferson is actually doing less for the Spurs if you can believe it.

I think the biggest point I'm trying to make here is that we should not be surprised that he's not averaging 17ppg with this usage and so few shots and anybody who's disappointed with his play thus far should try to look at the bigger picture to determine if he's actually playing significantly worse... or... if he's just a bad fit at the moment on this team. And if the answer is that he's a bad fit and not being used particularly well then is it on Hedo to improve or is it on the coaches to get him more shots up?

That's probably the biggest question open for debate at the moment. Is Hedo's low usage/shot totals a result of him, the coaching staff or his teammates taking too many shots? One thing's for certain... there's no way that PPG will climb without more shots so who's going to relinquish theirs? And... will Raptors fans relax if Hedo can put up 15/5/5 on a consistent basis with average defence? If not... what exactly were they expecting from Hedo?
TCHOKE
Head Coach
And1: 312

Post#125 » by TCHOKE » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:57 pm

i think right now hedo is a bad fit for this team because the way our offense is set up..
with the way our offense is set up a battier or bruce bowen would be a perfect fit
someone with excellent defence and can knock the spot up 3 when it goes around the horn
or when bosh kicks it out
Stretch82
Veteran
And1: 5

Post#126 » by Stretch82 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:01 pm

The disturbing thing is not just his usage rate... it's the way he's being misused with the limited opportunities he gets ;)
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#127 » by Double Helix » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Another interesting SF shot fact: Trevor Arizia is currently taking 50 percent more shots than Hedo (5 more shots per game) while only delivering 3 more points per game.

If Hedo had taken 5 more shots per game there's a pretty strong chance he'd be averaging a bit more than 15ppg per game. It's funny what a couple points here or there on an average can do to the perception of a player.

For example, the difference between Andrea right now averaging 17 and him hitting that magical average number of 20 is only 1 more 3 point shot per game but it seems so much more than that.

It's odd how easily perception can change.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#128 » by Indeed » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:04 pm

The question is, are we changing our offensive system next year.
With the acquisition of Amir, Belinelli, Weems, Wright, Jack I believe we are going to change to a fast pace system, instead of half court set, slow pace system.

They are came from fast pace team or like to play in a fast pace team.
Amir - plays the run and gun
Belinelli - from GS
Weems - from Denver
Wright - from Dallas
Jack - he pushes the ball
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,942

Post#129 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Double Helix wrote:Updated Hedo's usage rate for January 22, 2010 in the OP. He's below the league avearge for SFs again in usage.

He's currently averaging only 10 shots per game, good enough for 16th overall in FGAs for SFs who play more than 20 minutes per game. There is only 1 other SF in the league averaging more than 20 minutes per game and taking less shots than Hedo while scoring more points. Richard Jefferson averages 9.9 shots per game and has the exact disappointing scoring average that Hedo has at the moment, while Kelenna Azuibuike avearges 9.8 shots per game and 1 more point. All other SFs taking 10 shots or less like Hedo at the moment are also averaging less points per game which begs the question... is he really under-performing here or is it more a matter of him sometimes being the 4th (Bosh, Bargs and Jose/Jack than Hedo?) option on a team that likes to share the ball a lot and put a ton of different players into double digits?

Only 1 other player taking .2 shots less per game is averaging more points than he is at the SF position.

I think the biggest point I'm trying to make here is that we should not be surprised that he's not averaging 17ppg with this usage and so few shots and anybody who's disappointed with his play thus far should try to look at the bigger picture to determine if he's actually playing significantly worse... or... if he's just a bad fit at the moment on this team. And if the answer is that he's a bad fit and not being used particularly well then is it on Hedo to improve or is it on the coaches to get him more shots up?

That's probably the biggest question open for debate at the moment. Is Hedo's low usage/shot totals a result of him, the coaching staff or his teammates taking too many shots? One thing's for certain... there's no way that PPG will climb without more shots so who's going to relinquish theirs? And... will Raptors fans relax if Hedo can put up 15/5/5 on a consistent basis with average defence? If not... what exactly were they expecting from Hedo?

Compelling arguments for sure. My issue is his appearance of coasting and his lack of initiative at times. It's like Kapono was an excellent 3pt shooter but he never shot the three - so it doesn't really matter how good he was. Same thing here, he is efficient but he doesn't shoot or isn't assertive enough. Watch him when he played for Orlando and Sacramento, he was more aggressive. I don't know how much he goes to the line compared to last year but I would assume it's less. Plus he's not in best shape of his life - no doubt about that. And a good example is Amir - he gets his and has no plays called for him. I understand that's his role but Turk should know is his role is to be the glu in this team and the step up when things bog down - like on Tuesday and Wednesday.

If he can make his presence known when the team needs him then his numbers don't need to increase. If he can impact a game with intagibles is how we can measure Turkoglu and he's not doing that. If he did, we would be securily in fifth right now. The only games I remember is that Phoenix game and the Washington game. That's it...
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#130 » by Double Helix » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:23 pm

They key talking points for the Turkoglu saga at the moment for me are as follows:

- His assist and rebound numbers are relatively in line with where we all expected them to be so none of us can say he's underperformed there.

- His true shooting percentage is above average at the moment so while he's definitely in a slump at the moment, when looking at the entire season thus far, he hasn't been as brutal as some on here would have you to believe.

- He's taking only 10 shots per game which isn't high volume.

- His usage is the lowest its been in 5 years as a direct result of less shots, 3 less minutes per game and a slower pace.

So is he really doing something terrible out there or are there other factors to consider and is the real reason he's become the target of anger after every loss because of his contract or because of him actually hurting the team?

I think only the most biased against Hedo could say with a straight face that we would be better without him at the moment so I'm left with the conclusion that he's playing about as well as expected in every way except points but taking less shots/minutes to justify that and that we're all angry at him because of the contract he signed and the impressive playoff numbers he put up last season.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#131 » by StopitLeo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 pm

The biggest contributor to usage rate is FGA. If he doesn't assert himself and take shots, create shots, then that responsibility has to fall mostly on his shoulders. Sure, Bosh/Bargs aren't Dwight in terms of screens, but he just isn't aggressive enough and taking the shots.

It's not like he doesn't get the ball though. Hedo gets a lot of touches, especially early in the game.
dafan590
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,199

Post#132 » by dafan590 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:35 pm

One thing that some Raptors fans here lacking is patience.

Take a look at VC's stats, he's as horrible as Hedo, and he has habits of lying on the floor once in a while. He is probably in worse shape than when he is with the Nets.

Right now Hedo is being misused by Triano, so give both guys a chance to improve.

I will call Hedo out if he plays poorly in his 3rd year of his contract.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Double Helix » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
Double Helix wrote:Updated Hedo's usage rate for January 22, 2010 in the OP. He's below the league avearge for SFs again in usage.

Compelling arguments for sure. My issue is his appearance of coasting and his lack of initiative at times. It's like Kapono was an excellent 3pt shooter but he never shot the three - so it doesn't really matter how good he was. Same thing here, he is efficient but he doesn't shoot or isn't assertive enough. Watch him when he played for Orlando and Sacramento, he was more aggressive. I don't know how much he goes to the line compared to last year but I would assume it's less. Plus he's not in best shape of his life - no doubt about that. And a good example is Amir - he gets his and has no plays called for him. I understand that's his role but Turk should know is his role is to be the glu in this team and the step up when things bog down - like on Tuesday and Wednesday.

If he can make his presence known when the team needs him then his numbers don't need to increase. If he can impact a game with intagibles is how we can measure Turkoglu and he's not doing that. If he did, we would be securily in fifth right now. The only games I remember is that Phoenix game and the Washington game. That's it...

Good points all around. My only issue with much of the criticism pointed at Hedo at the moment is body language-related. I'm just sick to death of wannabe psychologists in this city judging players by their body language. It's completely over-analyzed to the point of becoming laughable on this board. "He doesn't care because he's smiling." "Why does he talk to the other players?" "Why doesn't he get more pissed off?" "Why isn't he sweating more?" "He's sweating too much! He's clearly out of shape!" "His hands are on his hips! He's given up on the team!"

I can't imagine what this city would do with any one of the following good NBA players:

Dwight Howard ("Why does Dwight smile soo much? Why is he always joking when something bad happens? Does he care? All he cares about is dunk contests? He could be so much better.")

Tim Duncan ("Why doesn't Tim Duncan ever get angry? He'd be so much better if he was angrier. He looks like he's coasting out there. He's just cashing it in at this point.")

Lebron James (Why is he biting his nails? Is he scared? He's not a true leader. He's an egomaniac. He'll never lead us anywhere.")

Kevin Garnett ("He's an arrogant idiot. He makes a fool out of himself. He's a faker leader who only picks on people smaller than him.")

Chris Paul ("Too nice. Why doesn't he fight back? Is he out of shape? Why is he being so nice to the other team? He lacks killer instinct.")

Yao Ming "(Lacks killer instinct. He's not a leader. He doesn't communicate with teammates. He doesn't seem to care about anything but his stats.")

I think fans read too much into what these guys look like, talk like and move like. It distracts from what they are giving you on the court.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,942

Post#134 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Double Helix wrote:They key talking points for the Turkoglu saga at the moment for me are as follows:

- His assist and rebound numbers are relatively in line with where we all expected them to be so none of us can say he's underperformed there.

- His true shooting percentage is above average at the moment so while he's definitely in a slump at the moment, when looking at the entire season thus far, he hasn't been as brutal as some on here would have you to believe.

- He's taking only 10 shots per game which isn't high volume.

- His usage is the lowest its been in 5 years as a direct result of less shots, 3 less minutes per game and a slower pace.

So is he really doing something terrible out there or are there other factors to consider and is the real reason he's become the target of anger after every loss because of his contract or because of him actually hurting the team?

I think only the most biased against Hedo could say with a straight face that we would be better without him at the moment so I'm left with the conclusion that he's playing about as well as expected in every way except points but taking less shots/minutes to justify that and that we're all angry at him because of the contract he signed and the impressive playoff numbers he put up last season.

Yes to that 100%. But there is a valid reason to be dissapointed because of this. He can do better and he was paid to do better than this. He's not here to be an average SF but a key SF who can win games. Like I said before your arguments are all valid but for this team, at this time, he should be doing more. 2-9 isn't good at all and Wednesday was pretty bad for end of game execution on his part. IMO, by the end of the year he will turn it around and show his worth based on your numbers plus an increased aggression.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
hkr
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#135 » by hkr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:47 pm

I say it's because of unrealistic expectations heaped upon him after some playoff heroics. Hedo is performing almost exactly like he should be when you see the whole season. The fans will be happier if Hedo was average 3-4 points more per game, but considering the team is full of other capable offensive players, it can only come at the expense of other players. Would it help the team if he takes shots away from Bosh, Bargs and Calderon?
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#136 » by Lionel Messi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:08 pm

I really think we just need to keep patient with Hedo. At some point he'll break out of his shooting slump and that will encourage him to give more effort on D. He's one of those guys that takes pride in his offence, and once his offence is going and he feels comfortable he starts participating more and more on defence.
He's not the ideal SF, but we're gonna have to deal with his style for at least 2/3 seasons (his deal starts gaining value in the last 1.5 years of his contract for teams looking to shed salary).

He'll eventually break out...there's absolutely no way a guy with this much skill and abilities keeps playing this poorly.
All i wanted out of him was 15/5/5 on 43%...earlier in the year he was at 14/5/4 on 45% which was ok for me, but now with this prolonged slump it's dipping below those numbers.

Also, despite his terrible play in the final 2 minutes of last night's game, he still hit a couple of big threes in the 4th and actually hit some jumpshots.
Obviously those 2 or 3 missed layups are an embarassment...but i have faith that he'll eventually become the good player he was.

BTW, he was NEVER going to be an allstar, i dont know why he was advertised as a "Star" or "allstar" by toronto media and also realgmers. The guy is what he is, a streaky shooter and great passer who is extremely skilled for 6'10 guy and is never afraid to take a difficult/high pressure shot.

Return to Toronto Raptors