ImageImageImageImageImage

*Updated* Turkoglu's usage rate is lowest in 5 years!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Re: *Updated* Turkoglu's usage rate is lowest in 5 years! 

Post#91 » by Double Helix » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:13 am

Here are the SFs (according to Hoopdata) in the league with higher usage rates (See post just before this on previous page for a definition on usage rate) than Hedo Turkoglu in ascending order:

Hedo Turkoglu 18.83

Danilo Gallinari 18.89
DeMar DeRozan 19.06
Ryan Gomes 19.12
Omri Casspi 19.25
Richard Jefferson 19.47
Kelenna Azubuike 19.52
Wilson Chandler 19.66
Al Thornton 20.17
Gerald Wallace 20.18
Andres Nocioni 20.36
Jeff Green 20.46
Thaddeus Young 20.48
C.J. Miles 20.59
Donte Greene 20.67
Corey Brewer 21.20
Ersan Ilyasova 21.61
Luol Deng 21.65
Chase Budinger 21.85
Paul Pierce 22.38
Caron Butler 22.59
Trevor Ariza 23.47

------------> This is around where Hedo's usage rate was in 2007 and 2008 over the past 2 seasons

Stephen Jackson 24.54
Anthony Randolph24.59
Travis Outlaw 25.21
Corey Maggette 25.75
Mike Dunleavy 25.79
Alando Tucker 28.08
Danny Granger 29.61
Josh Howard 30.54
Kevin Durant 32.08
LeBron James 33.18
Carmelo Anthony 34.44

Triano needs to pull the team aside and say that:

Bosh is option A
Bargnani is option B
Turk is option C

The rest of you shoot when you're wide open/near the basket/cutting/in transition or on put backs. Other than that, give it to the big 3 and big 3... realize that you are our scoring punch! Each of you guys should be shooting the ball over 14 times per game barring something unforseen.

There's too much diplomacy on this team. It started 3 years ago when the press went crazy on the idea that "On any given night a different Raptor can step up and be the difference maker. We've struggled to find an identity through our key players ever since.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,600

Post#92 » by C_Money » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:21 am

That kind of stuff happens when you have the worst coach in the league.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#93 » by Indeed » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:26 am

C_Money wrote:That kind of stuff happens when you have the worst coach in the league.

This kind of stuff happens when your previous coach is that bad, only have one play, which is Bosh isolation.
When you want to change this, its very difficult (just watch our defensive system), its a mess.
Mikeye
Junior
And1: 4

Post#94 » by Mikeye » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:32 am

Turkoglu = no heart and no passion...he just got paid...dont expect too much from him.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by Double Helix » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:38 am

I think it's on the media at this point.

It's one thing for guys like Grange and Doug Smith to blog to us about how they think Turk isn't doing enough but what I want to hear are hard hitting questions directed towards Triano, Turkoglu and Colangelo!

It's clear that this is an issue with fans and media so media... stir up the pot and start bringing up usage rate, shot attempts and how his numbers are down across the board. And while you're at it... bring up the happy go lucky attitude issues that people seem concerned about. At least let him give us an explanation. It's better than letting nothing happen and simply asking, "Are you happy you chose the Raptors? Why did you choose the Raptors? Do you like the 4th quarter? Tell us why you like the 4th quarter so much."

Come on reporters... you're the voice of the fans. Let's get to the bottom of this with questions to Turk and Triano, rather than simply blogging about it.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#96 » by J Dilla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:19 am

This is on our idiot HEADless coach.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#97 » by StopitLeo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:36 am

It's the big contract let down. *Sigh*
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by Double Helix » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:25 am

raptorfan1105 wrote:It's the big contract let down. *Sigh*

I read this while checking my fantasy league team and tonight's box scores and noticed Haywood on pace for another great night. He's always been solid but his play this season has been the best he's played ever so I decided to check out his salary situation and low and behold... it's a contract season and he's 31 years old so it's probably the last big contract he's going to get in the NBA.

These are dangerous contracts and we've got one.

We need to get the most out of this guy while we can. We need to force him to become more than he currently is on this team.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#99 » by J-Roc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:38 am

Meh, our offense is predicated on giving the ball to one of the best offensive PF's in the league, who happens to like iso plays. It's how our team is setup so it's how it has to be. Running post plays for Dwight Howard was always a good thing for the defensive team. It was better for Orlando to have Hedo jack up a shot and let Dwight fight for a rebound and putback.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#100 » by Boogie! » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:51 am

Double Helix wrote:I think it's on the media at this point.

It's one thing for guys like Grange and Doug Smith to blog to us about how they think Turk isn't doing enough but what I want to hear are hard hitting questions directed towards Triano, Turkoglu and Colangelo!

It's clear that this is an issue with fans and media so media... stir up the pot and start bringing up usage rate, shot attempts and how his numbers are down across the board. And while you're at it... bring up the happy go lucky attitude issues that people seem concerned about. At least let him give us an explanation. It's better than letting nothing happen and simply asking, "Are you happy you chose the Raptors? Why did you choose the Raptors? Do you like the 4th quarter? Tell us why you like the 4th quarter so much."

Come on reporters... you're the voice of the fans. Let's get to the bottom of this with questions to Turk and Triano, rather than simply blogging about it.

why do we think we should be the coach of the team all of a sudden? seriously, with technology being what it is nowadays and everyone being connected to each other, we all think we play a role in everyone's business.

coaching is far more than saying, "hey, give the ball to turkoglu more and that'll win us more games." it's one thing to complain about it on a message board, it's another to actually think we should actually be telling professionals how to do their job. "hey coach, a bunch of kids on the internet are wondering why turkoglu isn't being used more, and think you're strategy is (Please Use More Appropriate Word). can you please give us an answer to this question? otherwise, the wise thing to do would be to take the kids' advice." seriously?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Jai Monee
Veteran
And1: 217

Re: Turkoglu's usage rate is lowest in 5 years! 

Post#101 » by Jai Monee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:21 am

Double Helix wrote:
KG1585 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Our offense is working pretty well. Hard to argue that he needs the ball more for us to put up points.

+1

I still don't understand the people bringing up offence. I couldn't care less what Hedo's usage rate is, as long as offence is this deadly.

Did you watch the Utah game where we weren't scoring? Have you seen how many open shots we're still missing? Our efficiency is dropping quick offensively. It's not as insane as it was to start the season and Bosh is still a huge reason for that efficiency.

Pretend for a moment our offence is a 70 out of 100. And our defence is currently a 10 out of 100.

Total = 80 out of 200.

I think it's more likely and we have better assets to turn our offence to a 90 out of 100 and with hustle get our defence to a 30 out of 100 for a total of 120 out of 200 than it would be to get our defence up to 50 out of 100 for the same result. The Suns were once 100 out of 100 on offence by such a wide margin that they actually had the best record in the league with probably a 30 out of 100 defence.

I know we're not the Suns. I don't expect to be anywhere near a top team but I think if our offence was as good as it could be we'd certainly make the playoffs. We can't simply pretend that we're as good as we can be on that end and think that we have the weapons necessary to become a very good defensive team. I simply think we need to maximize our strengths and improve upon our weaknesses.

I also know the scale out of 100 examples are a bit ridiculous. Nobody needs to point that out. I just wanted to try and describe the way I see both ends of the court at the moment.

I've always thought that our offense was never the problem, we're putting 100 pts on the board and do so with relative ease, but this is a very interesting way to look at our strengths and weaknesses I've never really thought about. I'm not sure I totally agree, I'll have to think about this for a bit, but it's rare that I read anything on this board that makes me pause and think. Good stuff.
"I'm a spot-up shooter" - Rasho Nesterovic.
jay632
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#102 » by jay632 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:44 am

maybe if he actually hit some shots he would get more minutes... mister 4th quarter is nowhere to be seen.
Stretch82
Veteran
And1: 5

Post#103 » by Stretch82 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:58 am

Turk's role in Orlando was so plain simple and yet effective because he created match up problems. It was all about D12 screens/pick'n'rolls which created space for Hedo and he usually made the right pass to a wide open player or shot himself when he had enough space. The screens Bargs and Bosh are setting are poop and nobody of our shooters is moving enough when Hedo has the ball to get a wide open look. Lewis, Alston and Lee ran their asses off in the playoffs which is not happening on our team. So when Hedo has the ball in his hands there is not that much happening for us, which really isn't that surprising to me. In Orlando - with Nelson out - Hedo was the ball handler #1 on the floor. In Toronto he's sometimes with Cack on the floor, making it three ball handlers.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by Double Helix » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Boogie! wrote:why do we think we should be the coach of the team all of a sudden? seriously, with technology being what it is nowadays and everyone being connected to each other, we all think we play a role in everyone's business.

coaching is far more than saying, "hey, give the ball to turkoglu more and that'll win us more games." it's one thing to complain about it on a message board, it's another to actually think we should actually be telling professionals how to do their job. "hey coach, a bunch of kids on the internet are wondering why turkoglu isn't being used more, and think you're strategy is (Please Use More Appropriate Word). can you please give us an answer to this question? otherwise, the wise thing to do would be to take the kids' advice." seriously?

Well, in any free press, the press generally acts as a voice for the people. If you're a political journalist you question the politics of people who are professional politicians. If you're a business journalist you question the decisions of business professionals and CEOs. And if you're a sport journalist, you question the decisions of professional athletes, ownership and management. This is the power of journalism; it can affect change and has affected change.

And to think that we're all just a bunch of "kids" wondering why Turkoglu isn't being used more is a little condescending. For one thing, I'm an adult and if the Toronto Blue Jays GM is any indicator of the qualifications necessary to becoming a GM in pro sports, I think any one of us, had we decided to focus on it and put in the necessary effort, could have had a career of some kind in professional sports management to varying degrees. Have you ever watched "behind the draft?" Jim Kelley, director of scouting for us, has been videotaped using nbadraft.net as a major source while scouting. I was writing to those guys about players 5 years ago and I know they're not very different than many of us on this message board. The fact remains that we did not choose that path and instead chose other more realistic targets as career paths and that's why we come on here... to live out those GMing dreams. It doesn't make us any less insightful.

And we're not simply wondering about whether Turkoglu is being used less. We have irrefutable data over the past 5 years tracking just that. I also compared where he's at with other players and showed where his usage was in previous years. There's clearly something different about the way he's being utilized here and on a 50 million dollar investment... it's in the Toronto media's and OUR best interest that people start asking questions and bringing up facts and trying to figure out why.

Without the pressure that comes from pointing the spotlight on specific targets... nothing changes.
wille-dynamite
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#105 » by wille-dynamite » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Stretch82 wrote:Turk's role in Orlando was so plain simple and yet effective because he created match up problems. It was all about D12 screens/pick'n'rolls which created space for Hedo and he usually made the right pass to a wide open player or shot himself when he had enough space. The screens Bargs and Bosh are setting are poop and nobody of our shooters is moving enough when Hedo has the ball to get a wide open look. Lewis, Alston and Lee ran their asses off in the playoffs which is not happening on our team. So when Hedo has the ball in his hands there is not that much happening for us, which really isn't that surprising to me. In Orlando - with Nelson out - Hedo was the ball handler #1 on the floor. In Toronto he's sometimes with Cack on the floor, making it three ball handlers.

Couldn't agree more have to question our coaches offensive strategies when you see how effective he was last year....this year he seems like an average joe blow SF
Credit to Turbo Zone Realgm Legend
StopitLeo
RealGM

Post#106 » by StopitLeo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:22 pm

Double Helix wrote:

I read this while checking my fantasy league team and tonight's box scores and noticed Haywood on pace for another great night. He's always been solid but his play this season has been the best he's played ever so I decided to check out his salary situation and low and behold... it's a contract season and he's 31 years old so it's probably the last big contract he's going to get in the NBA.

We need to get the most out of this guy while we can. We need to force him to become more than he currently is on this team.

I think we have to put some of this on Triano. SVG probably tore into Hedo all the time to get him going. Hopefully Jay will be able to motivate Hedo. Here's a passage from one of my favourite Page 2 - Bill Simmons pieces. He and Malcom Gladwell were talking about contract years.

Gladwell: This is one of my favorite topics. Let's do Erick Dampier. In his contract year at Golden State, he essentially doubles his rebounds and increases his scoring by 50 percent. Then, after he signs with Dallas, he goes back to the player he was before. What can we conclude from this? The obvious answer is that effort plays a much larger role in athletic performance than we care to admit. When he tries, Dampier is one of the top centers in the league. When he doesn't try, he's mediocre. So a big part of talent is effort. The second obvious answer is that performance (at least in centers) is incredibly variable. The same person can be a mediocre center one year and a top 10 center the next just based on how motivated he is. So is Dampier a top 10 player or a mediocre player? There is no way to answer that. It depends. He's not inherently good or bad. He's both. The third obvious answer is that coaching matters. If you are a coach who can get Dampier to try, you can turn a mediocre center into a top 10 center. And you, the coach, will be enormously valuable. (This is why Phil Jackson is worth millions of dollars a year.) If you are a coach who can't get Dampier to try, then you're not that useful. (You may want to insert the name Doc Rivers at this point.)

Substitute Hedo Turkoglu for Erick Dampier and small forward for centre and it reads pretty true.
neurotik
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,864

Post#107 » by neurotik » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:26 pm

raptorfan1105 wrote:
Double Helix wrote:

I think we have to put some of this on Triano. SVG probably tore into Hedo all the time to get him going. Hopefully Jay will be able to motivate Hedo. Here's a passage from one of my favourite Page 2 - Bill Simmons pieces. He and Malcom Gladwell were talking about contract years.

Gladwell: This is one of my favorite topics. Let's do Erick Dampier. In his contract year at Golden State, he essentially doubles his rebounds and increases his scoring by 50 percent. Then, after he signs with Dallas, he goes back to the player he was before. What can we conclude from this? The obvious answer is that effort plays a much larger role in athletic performance than we care to admit. When he tries, Dampier is one of the top centers in the league. When he doesn't try, he's mediocre. So a big part of talent is effort. The second obvious answer is that performance (at least in centers) is incredibly variable. The same person can be a mediocre center one year and a top 10 center the next just based on how motivated he is. So is Dampier a top 10 player or a mediocre player? There is no way to answer that. It depends. He's not inherently good or bad. He's both. The third obvious answer is that coaching matters. If you are a coach who can get Dampier to try, you can turn a mediocre center into a top 10 center. And you, the coach, will be enormously valuable. (This is why Phil Jackson is worth millions of dollars a year.) If you are a coach who can't get Dampier to try, then you're not that useful. (You may want to insert the name Doc Rivers at this point.)

Substitute Hedo Turkoglu for Erick Dampier and small forward for centre and it reads pretty true.

Substitute Bargs for that matter
(1 of 10)
StopitLeo
RealGM

Post#108 » by StopitLeo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:39 pm

416hustla wrote:Substitute Bargs for that matter

No really. His production hasn't dropped off a cliff. In fact, his numbers are slightly better than last year.

Hedo's numbers, however, look just like a guy who got a fat deal and is getting older and might not care anymore. I hope that's not the case, but I was just throwing out that Gladwell quote as a discussion point.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#109 » by Undefeated » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Triano needs to run more isolation plays for Turkoglu in the post, he would just literally score on a smaller player or blow past by a bigger defender. For some reason, we're not taking advantage of the height we have.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#110 » by lucky777s » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Looking at this list below the thing that stands out to me is that many of the people higher than Hedo do not really get any plays called for them. They find their role within the offense without hand holding or spoon feeding.

Even guys above Hedo's career best number, like Dunleavy and Maggette, are not really featured guys. They just go out and get theirs. They are aggressive.

Hedo needs to show some desire and work harder. But we saw in pre-season that he did not come in here with that attitude. He sat out most of camp and it is really showing. His conditioning looks off and I doubt he is putting in the extra effort to quickly get up to speed.

Hedon't is reminding me more of Jalen Rose these days with his laid back attitude and feeling of entitlement. Rose is another guy many Raps fans overrated and was out of the league after his last bloated contract. Working himself slowly into the season could cost the Raps a post season spot.

Double Helix wrote:Hedo Turkoglu 18.83

Danilo Gallinari 18.89
DeMar DeRozan 19.06
Ryan Gomes 19.12
Omri Casspi 19.25
Richard Jefferson 19.47
Kelenna Azubuike 19.52
Wilson Chandler 19.66
Al Thornton 20.17
Gerald Wallace 20.18
Andres Nocioni 20.36
Jeff Green 20.46
Thaddeus Young 20.48
C.J. Miles 20.59
Donte Greene 20.67
Corey Brewer 21.20
Ersan Ilyasova 21.61
Luol Deng 21.65
Chase Budinger 21.85
Paul Pierce 22.38
Caron Butler 22.59
Trevor Ariza 23.47

------------> This is around where Hedo's usage rate was in 2007 and 2008 over the past 2 seasons

Stephen Jackson 24.54
Anthony Randolph24.59
Travis Outlaw 25.21
Corey Maggette 25.75
Mike Dunleavy 25.79
Alando Tucker 28.08
Danny Granger 29.61
Josh Howard 30.54
Kevin Durant 32.08
LeBron James 33.18
Carmelo Anthony 34.44

Return to Toronto Raptors