ImageImageImageImageImage

Hollinger: Triano is in over his head!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Hollinger: Triano is in over his head! 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:41 pm

OK, we need to stop mincing words and call this what it is: Jay Triano is in over his head, and if the Raptors don't do something about it, it will cost them their best player this summer. The 146 points Wednesday night by Atlanta was the latest ridiculous example of Toronto's defensive ineptitude, and while the roster composed by Bryan Colangelo is far from ideal in this respect, this should not be the worst defensive team in history. Right now it is.

Getting defensive effort from players is one of the basic measuring sticks for an NBA coach, and Triano has failed miserably in this respect. The carping in the locker room following Wednesday's defeat spoke volumes -- players were basically begging the coaching staff to go through the film and go over the mistakes so they could correct them. Which makes one wonder what on earth the Raps were doing for the first quarter of the season while opponents conducted layup drills at their expense.

There's an added urgency for the Raps because of Chris Bosh's impending free agency -- if the Raptors can't show substantial improvement, he's probably a goner after the season. And it appears there's no chance of Toronto's showing that kind of progress under Triano. It would be a desperation move to change conductors at the 20-game mark, but I'm not sure the Raptors' situation gives them much of a choice.
Eating a Book
General Manager
And1: 2,333

Re: Hollinger: Triano is in over his head! 

Post#2 » by Eating a Book » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:46 pm

Desperation moves are for desperate teams. This is like watching funnel cloud form.

Bye, Jay.
@terriblejazz
Clutch Carter
RealGM
And1: 71,878

Post#3 » by Clutch Carter » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm really disappointed in Jay's performance. I was really hoping he'd turn into our very own Canadian Jerry Sloan, instead he's becoming the inverse of Kevin O'Neil.
#FreeLRJ Offical 1,000,000 post crew:
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,aRapsFan4eva,KozRJC,MAS,Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin

DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#4 » by DG88 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:49 pm

Sigh Jack Donahue would be soo disappointed in Jay right now
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,477

Post#5 » by Brinbe » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:49 pm

Man, it just keeps piling up... his days as HC have to be numbered if this continues. How long can BC wait this out?
anon2222
Sixth Man
And1: 980

Post#6 » by anon2222 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:50 pm

Nice to see both the local and US media start noticing what a crap job Triano has done.
danny-callahan
Head Coach
And1: 84

Post#7 » by danny-callahan » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:54 pm

We could be paying 3 coaches if Triano is axed. Panace.
nowfocus
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by nowfocus » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:57 pm

And people say we don't get any media attention.
AfricanSensation
Head Coach
And1: 294

Post#9 » by AfricanSensation » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:57 pm

Where is Jeff Van Gundy when we need him?
Vandal Savage
Suspended
And1: 1,123

Post#10 » by Vandal Savage » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:58 pm

danny-callahan wrote:We could be paying 3 coaches if Triano is axed. Panace.

Unless Alvin Williams takes over as interim head coach.
Jer McNama
Ballboy

Post#11 » by Jer McNama » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:58 pm

No way does the team fire Triano. No way. Danny hit it right on the head. Paying three coaches would be ridiculous.
steve_steamer
Junior
And1: 3

Post#12 » by steve_steamer » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:59 pm

It's really not jay's fault at all, just your generalized opinion. None of our core players are defensive orientated. All of our core players are offensive orientated players. All of them have reached the level of starter and "core" player because of their offensive ability. I do not think there is anything wrong with these players or that they "suck". But to have a well balance core, you need core players that can play defense, that are defensive minded, and orientated. Wether they are balanced individualy, or if one is significantly defensively apt and makes up for the others.. our 4 best players are all where they are today because of their "offense". none of them are known to be good or even average defenders...they all suffer from blow by's and are considered below average in defense.

team core needs defense.. team defense needs individual defensive performers.. jay has done what he can..he can't help the fact that jose, hedo, bargnani all suffer from blow by's and show no regard towards blocking someone out or being efficient defensively..

it makes no sense to create a team of all offensive minded players without any shotblocking, or bigs capable of providing help d. for a coach to have average defense with players who are known to be poor defensively..is just asking for too much..its not gonna happen..

if triano has failed in any way, its been on offense... offense has to be better to account for own known weakness in d, its very hard to win this way.. our core has always been the problem..they are not compatible together and do not compliment each other..the core must be altered...

we will win if offense is clicking..which happens sometimes..if not..we lose..plain and simple..and its a lot harder to be always "clicking" offensively than it is to rely on "defense"..

suns are good at always "clicking" on offense because they have mvp performer nash who makes it happen..this can not be re-created without nash.. thats why colangelo/d'antoni will not find success trying to re-create that situation..

a new philosophy and direction is needed...
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,577

Post#13 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:00 pm

Nobody has come to his defense. He's done.
redjediknight
Junior

Post#14 » by redjediknight » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:03 pm

The carping in the locker room following Wednesday's defeat spoke volumes -- players were basically begging the coaching staff to go through the film and go over the mistakes so they could correct them. Which makes one wonder what on earth the Raps were doing for the first quarter of the season while opponents conducted layup drills at their expense.

For once, I actually agree with Hollinger. Yeah, move on and focus on the next game--but maaan--you gotta learn something from the previous one, good or not. Correction not criticism. And if he says he doesn't sit down with the players after every game, it's a dead end.
Greater things are yet to come.
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#15 » by Phenomenologist » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:07 pm

Yah, let's give a three year contract to the guy who just went 25-40. Makes sense to me.
tb40
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#16 » by tb40 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:08 pm

I was as happy as anyone that Sam was let go, and I didn't mind Triano as the interim coach, but WTF would BC give Triano a 3 year contract after not showing much last season after he took over?!.

Boggles the mind really.

This one's on BC without Question, and this team needs a complete makeover in the coaching ranks imo.
'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'" -Mark Twain
Philip J Fry
Rookie
And1: 93

Post#17 » by Philip J Fry » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:09 pm

It saddens me, but the writing really does seem to be on the wall.

Coaching in the NBA is as much about motivating your players as it is about X's and O's - and the inconsistent effort this team has shown thusfar seems to be an indictment of Jay's motivational skills.

Pat Riley once said that in order to get the most out of your players, you have to learn what motivates them on an individual basis. No two players are alike, and the same motivational techniques are not likely to be effective for everyone on the roster. It's pretty clear that there is a wide distribution of personality types in the Raptor locker room, and if Jay can't figure out how to get them motivated, then the organization needs to bring in someone who can - cost be damned.

This season is not yet a lost cause, but I am increasingly pessimistic that it can be saved under Jay's stewardship.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,263

Post#18 » by Shaazzam » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:09 pm

I wonder if Iavaroni would then step in. He's already on the payroll.

And I'm not saying he's an ideal candidate.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Miles Boyer
Freshman

Post#19 » by Miles Boyer » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:10 pm

When Sam got fired I thought Triano would be the last guy of the assistants to replace him. He always gave me the impression of a nice guy but too meek (or soft) to be a head coach. Maybe that's the case.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#20 » by Reignman » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:10 pm

Although I didn't agree with his hiring I was rooting for him being Canadian and all. At the same time, if he gets fired, I won't feel bad for him. What ever he's doing isn't working.

Return to Toronto Raptors