ImageImageImageImageImage

Hollinger: Triano is in over his head!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,435

Re: Hollinger: Triano is in over his head! 

Post#21 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:11 pm

Shaazzam wrote:I wonder if Iavaroni would then step in. He's already on the payroll.

And I'm not saying he's an ideal candidate.

That's my biggest fear.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,551

Post#22 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:11 pm

DG88 wrote:Sigh Jack Donahue would be soo disappointed in Jay right now

Jack D for GM, Lemon for head coach, Tracy Morgan for franchise player
redjediknight
Junior
And1: 0

Post#23 » by redjediknight » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:12 pm

steve_steamer wrote:It's really not jay's fault at all, just your generalized opinion. None of our core players are defensive orientated. All of our core players are offensive orientated players. All of them have reached the level of starter and "core" player because of their offensive ability. I do not think there is anything wrong with these players or that they "suck". But to have a well balance core, you need core players that can play defense, that are defensive minded, and orientated. Wether they are balanced individualy, or if one is significantly defensively apt and makes up for the others.. our 4 best players are all where they are today because of their "offense". none of them are known to be good or even average defenders...they all suffer from blow by's and are considered below average in defense.

I completely agree that our core isn't that defensively gifted, but they're not stupid either. If you think about it--almost everyone in our core is lacking D--and it's up to the coaching staff to either address it or make something about it. Watch the damn film and point out the mistakes. Again, correction not criticism. It's up to the coach to say, "Hey, you did a great job on the offense, but defensively, you have to improve on this--and this--and this..." and so far, from what I've learned, there's no leadership coming from the coach staff.

team core needs defense.. team defense needs individual defensive performers.. jay has done what he can..he can't help the fact that jose, hedo, bargnani all suffer from blow by's and show no regard towards blocking someone out or being efficient defensively..

True. But has he actually addressed this to them players? Had he addressed Bosh's lack of passing abilities? Have he told the whole team to pass the damn ball?

What boggles me is that, as of late, we are not shooting efficiently and the only way Raptors can win is by passing the ball. We have too many offensive weapons in and out of the post, and we never really utilized it. No plays for either Bargs and Hedo--which are both good ball handlers.

No, I'm not giving a pass to the core after all. They also have to do the exchange--but if your coach isn't helping you to improve in anything at all, and I quote from Jack "I don't know".
Greater things are yet to come.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#24 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:13 pm

Shaazzam wrote:I wonder if Iavaroni would then step in. He's already on the payroll.

I'd hope it'd be Alex English. He has all the players' respect and is a tough no nonsense guy. Then Iavaroni can keep running the offense... or whatever he's actually doing here, because it's sure not the d
Darkseid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,392

Post#25 » by Darkseid » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:14 pm

depressing :(
Philip J Fry
Rookie
And1: 93

Post#26 » by Philip J Fry » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:14 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:

That's my biggest fear.

The big problem is going to be finding a coach who wants to take the job. Sure, there are a lot of coaches out there, but would any of them want to step into this situation?

BC will have to crank the charm to 11 if he decides to let Jay go and find another coach.
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#27 » by Spragga » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:15 pm

You could tell he was over his head from last year. Giving him a 3 year deal was beyond dumb.
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,587

Post#28 » by DG88 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:16 pm

If you mix Sam and Jay together we get the coach we want. One that has the X's and O's capability but also the ability to motivate his team into putting effort into everything they do on the court. Too bad we only got the extremes of both instead sigh.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,787
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#29 » by Boogie! » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:16 pm

triano isn't done. people need to relax. yes, at this point in the season, the team is struggling mightily. but on the opposite end of the spectrum, there are still 9 new players and the season is still relatively young. it's not lost for good. so there's no need to fire triano. hiring a new coach in the middle of the season is not gonna make a difference for the team - it never has. sam had 3 full seasons with the raptors before getting axed. this is jay's first, so there's no similarity in that regard, regardless of record.

bc's job is to think rationally and firing jay now would be a panic move. am i happy with jay's performance? no. i had hope after the first game, but since then the team has looked completely different on both ends. and i agree with hollinger that there is no way this team should be the worst in history. they're not the greatest defenders individually, but we've had teams with worse and even then our d wasn't this bad. either the system is flawed, or the team just doesn't understand it and no one is helping them get better at it.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#30 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:16 pm

Philip J Fry wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:

That's my biggest fear.

The big problem is going to be finding a coach who wants to take the job. Sure, there are a lot of coaches out there, but would any of them want to step into this situation?

BC will have to crank the charm to 11 if he decides to let Jay go and find another coach.

If Jay is fired, I assume English or Iavaroni takes the interm role until next summer, and then we hire a new one. It'll be easier to hire a new coach next summer, not only because more are available and willing to come in then, but also because Mitchell's contract runs out by then so it'll only be Triano + the new coach on the payroll. Which is the same situation as now
TorontoBaller
Analyst
And1: 1,390

Post#31 » by TorontoBaller » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:16 pm

Clutch Carter wrote:I'm really disappointed in Jay's performance. I was really hoping he'd turn into our very own Canadian Jerry Sloan, instead he's becoming the inverse of Kevin O'Neil.

Nice reference.
Superboy316KING
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#32 » by Superboy316KING » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:17 pm

Spragga wrote:You could tell he was over his head from last year. Giving him a 3 year deal was beyond dumb.

it was stupidity at its worst...colangelo is pretty impulsive in making decisions. triano does a little better near the end of last year against crap teams who didn't care anymore because they were vying for lottery spots and boom colangelo gives him a 3 year deal.

i don't care if mlse has to pay 3 coaches they made the dumb mistake nnow they gotta pay for a REAL coach. no more rookie coaches or promotions from within.
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,836

Post#33 » by Live Free » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:17 pm

not really backing up Triano but at the end of the day the players have to go out and play.. a good example of this are the Nets players taking the blame for Frank being fired.

Jose and Bargnani are the obvious candidates, but Jack has been inconsistent, Hedo's been a letdown, Wrights been a disappointment and the effort just isn't there most nights.

I do agree having a JVG or Avery would be better though
AcesFull
Junior
And1: 6

Post#34 » by AcesFull » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:18 pm

We should have hired Messina
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,435

Post#35 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:18 pm

Philip J Fry wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:

That's my biggest fear.

The team definitely has talent. I don't think there will be much trouble finding a coach willing to take over. Jeff Van Gundy was excited by a less talented Raptor's roster last season. Lawrence Frank's brain would do wonders with a team like this.

The problem is the Raptors are still paying Smitch, so firing Trinao and hiring a high quality coach is unlikely.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
redjediknight
Junior
And1: 0

Post#36 » by redjediknight » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:20 pm

I'd just like to say that Triano shouldn't be fired. He is just starting out, and in all honesty, if I were in his position, I'd make the same mistakes too--especially if I'm not used to being a leader. But he's gotta understand that the system isn't working and that small changes can be made in the schemes. I'd still go for our core team, but Jay has to step up and call out and address it to each players. Correct them and teach them how to, not criticize them and throw them to the bench.
Greater things are yet to come.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,587

Post#37 » by DG88 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:21 pm

redjediknight wrote:
steve_steamer wrote:It's really not jay's fault at all, just your generalized opinion. None of our core players are defensive orientated. All of our core players are offensive orientated players. All of them have reached the level of starter and "core" player because of their offensive ability. I do not think there is anything wrong with these players or that they "suck". But to have a well balance core, you need core players that can play defense, that are defensive minded, and orientated. Wether they are balanced individualy, or if one is significantly defensively apt and makes up for the others.. our 4 best players are all where they are today because of their "offense". none of them are known to be good or even average defenders...they all suffer from blow by's and are considered below average in defense.

I completely agree that our core isn't that defensively gifted, but they're not stupid either.

LOL WUT!
Philip J Fry
Rookie
And1: 93

Post#38 » by Philip J Fry » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:22 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:
If Jay is fired, I assume English or Iavaroni takes the interm role until next summer, and then we hire a new one. It'll be easier to hire a new coach next summer, not only because more are available and willing to come in then, but also because Mitchell's contract runs out by then so it'll only be Triano + the new coach on the payroll. Which is the same situation as now

The problem is if you go the interim coach route, you're essentially waving goodbye to Bosh right now instead of at least trying to get him to stick around after this season.

The way BC handles the coaching situation will probably give us a decent idea of what kind of chance he thinks he has of re-signing Bosh.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,181

Post#39 » by mowcrowbar » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:23 pm

omg please fire him and get a coach who can execute!! Avery, Frank save us!
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#40 » by Undefeated » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:23 pm

What this season has thought me is that you have to be willing to be patient and good things will come later on. If you're not going to be patient, you're in for a long season. Has Triano disappoint the hell out of the fans? Of course Triano has, but he still has time to make some adjustments before it’s way too late. Will there be a real difference hiring a new coach? I’d say no, the problem with Triano IMO is his reluctant to make adjustments, though if he’s willing too, you can expect this team to change their style of play on the defensive end. Can you really expect a coach to turn things around when it’s his first year? All these things will have to take time before it all pans out.

People say Triano isn't a motivator, but he was able to do it with Bargnani who isn't exactly the most independent player so I don't see why he can't motivate this team when most of our players are mentally stronger than Bargnani.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth

Return to Toronto Raptors