ImageImageImageImageImage

Hollinger: Triano is in over his head!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

anon2222
Sixth Man
And1: 980

Re: Hollinger: Triano is in over his head! 

Post#41 » by anon2222 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:24 pm

Superboy316KING wrote:
Spragga wrote:You could tell he was over his head from last year. Giving him a 3 year deal was beyond dumb.

it was stupidity at its worst...colangelo is pretty impulsive in making decisions. triano does a little better near the end of last year against crap teams who didn't care anymore because they were vying for lottery spots and boom colangelo gives him a 3 year deal.

i don't care if mlse has to pay 3 coaches they made the dumb mistake nnow they gotta pay for a REAL coach. no more rookie coaches or promotions from within.

Yep. Just like he jumped the gun on Kapono after 1 good season in Miami and Turkoglu. Almost every fan can see Triano was bad decision.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,989

Post#42 » by MEDIC » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:34 pm

My take:

The problem is both the players, & the coach. (& the GM)

Triano is trying to run a defensive scheme that requires players with a high defensive awareness & defensive IQ. These players obviously do not fit this description.

The players have poor defensive awareness & poor defensive IQ. Maybe Triano's scheme works with a different cast of players.

These players need as simple a defensive scheme as possible. This way they can play with energy on defense, rather than being slow to react & thinking too much.

It's the players fault because they never cared to develop their defensive game.

It's Triano's fault because he has not utilized a defensive scheme that best fits the assets he has been given.

It's BC's fault for not providing a good mix of defensive & offensive players to fit what his coach wants to do.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#43 » by ghuytro » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:36 pm

thesciencedroppa wrote:Nobody has come to his defense. He's done.

This is extremely telling. The Raptors are a very savvy organization and if they truly supported Jay you'd hear something from someone somewhere somehow - even if it was leaked or off-the-cuff or whatever - coming to his side. But it really has been crickets so far. Let's see there's anything in tomorrow's papers but the silence truly is deafening from the front office (officially or unofficially).

Boogie! wrote:triano isn't done. people need to relax. yes, at this point in the season, the team is struggling mightily. but on the opposite end of the spectrum, there are still 9 new players and the season is still relatively young. it's not lost for good. so there's no need to fire triano. hiring a new coach in the middle of the season is not gonna make a difference for the team - it never has. sam had 3 full seasons with the raptors before getting axed. this is jay's first, so there's no similarity in that regard, regardless of record.

bc's job is to think rationally and firing jay now would be a panic move. am i happy with jay's performance? no. i had hope after the first game, but since then the team has looked completely different on both ends. and i agree with hollinger that there is no way this team should be the worst in history. they're not the greatest defenders individually, but we've had teams with worse and even then our d wasn't this bad. either the system is flawed, or the team just doesn't understand it and no one is helping them get better at it.

This is one of those times where your green font actually threw me for a moment :lol:
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,181

Post#44 » by mowcrowbar » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:37 pm

MEDIC wrote:My take:

Triano is trying to run a defensive scheme that requires players with a high defensive awareness & defensive IQ. These players obviously do not fit this description.

The players have poor defensive awareness & poor defensive IQ. Maybe Triano's scheme works with a different cast of players.

These players need as simple a defensive scheme as possible. This way they can play with energy on defense, rather than being slow to react & thinking too much.

It's the players fault because they never cared to develop their defensive game.

It's Triano's fault because he has not utilized a defensive scheme that best fits the assets he has been given.

It's BC's fault for not providing a good mix of defensive & offensive players to fit what his coach wants to do.

This was my thought too
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#45 » by J-Roc » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:38 pm

I lost interest when Hollinger said we better do something "or else we lose Bosh". Who cares about Bosh. We need to do something that works in spite of Bosh being here.
DonQuixote
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#46 » by DonQuixote » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:40 pm

Looking at how the Raps are currently playing under Triano, it reminds me of the 2002 Raps under Lenny. The 2002 Raps were a team that was touted to have a lot of offensive talent that couldn't seem to get the D working properly and had a lot of up and down games. Lenny (like Triano) was a players coach, on a team with injuries, from what I can remember it was blamed on poor conditioning and a lack of motivation. Wright's comments speak to their motivation, and their 4th quarter stats and the injuries that they seem to be accumulating are reminiscent of teams with poor game conditioning.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#47 » by TheDunc » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:41 pm

The problem with Triano isnt just his coaching insight. The problem with him is he can no longer get his message across, players wont listen to him anymore. The starters know that no matter what they will be starting after a bad defensive game. The bench players know that no matter what they will be coming off the bench. So i think unless Triano makes a starting lineup move players will start to ignore him if they already havent
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,587

Post#48 » by DG88 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:47 pm

MEDIC wrote:My take:

I agree with this statement 100%.
pharring
Sixth Man
And1: 352

Post#49 » by pharring » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:51 pm

Jer McNama wrote:No way does the team fire Triano. No way. Danny hit it right on the head. Paying three coaches would be ridiculous.

Sorry, but there is $60 million+ tied up in this roster. You do what you gotta do to maximize that. If that means paying 3 coaches for part of one season, so be it. Personally, I think BC should pay Triano's remaining deal out of his own pocket.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,338

Post#50 » by Scase » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:58 pm

J-Roc wrote:I lost interest when Hollinger said we better do something "or else we lose Bosh". Who cares about Bosh. We need to do something that works in spite of Bosh being here.

Yeah who cares about the only player that has been keeping us from being the Nets.
Props TZ!
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,148

Post#51 » by C Court » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:05 pm

Hollinger nailed it. His comments are right on the mark. I've been saying the same thing since the beginning of November. Triano has to go or Bosh will walk.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#52 » by sule » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:10 pm

The defensive schemes don't fit our players, but our players aren't communicating fully on defense either. Case-in-point is Bargnani not switching when Turkoglu yelled for it near the end of the Washington game. Bargnani stuck by his man and Turkoglu had to run back, resulting in a dunk. It was basically the end for us that game.

Triano benched Bargnani right after that too.

So it's clear that our players either don't trust each other or don't trust the defensive scheme.

Either way, it just seems like another addition to the list of things wrong with this team:

1. Coaching not up to par
2. PG unable to stop a pylon
3. Players not trusting each other on the court
4. Poor conditioning
5. Unable to utilize shooters
6. Nobody knows their role.
7. No accountability
8. Lack of leadership among the players
9. Lack of respect for coaching staff
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#53 » by 99 Problems » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:13 pm

You can't keep a coach in charge if the players have given up on him.. You just can't.. We'd turn into a Nelson- Golden State scenario with all that drama.. Not to mention the losing..

It doesn't matter if we're paying 10 coaches.. Get rid of this guy.. If anything fire Triano and promote Alex English to head coach.. He can't be any worse..
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#54 » by Vlade Divac » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:16 pm

Clutch Carter wrote:I'm really disappointed in Jay's performance. I was really hoping he'd turn into our very own Canadian Jerry Sloan, instead he's becoming the inverse of Kevin O'Neil.

WOT!

Kevin was primarily a DEFENSIVE coach, and they played decent defense under his realm (they could not hit the lake though). AND HE WAS PASSIONATE! That is what Jay needs.

Jay is a nice guy but a lame duck now when he lost confidence of his players. He might be good coach for Canada but he is absolutely lost in NBA.
kassian
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#55 » by kassian » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:17 pm

If Jay gets fired, not only does BC continues to pay him, but Iavaroni will most likely take over. That's a no no.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#56 » by Trilogy » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:18 pm

Vlade Divac wrote:
Clutch Carter wrote:I'm really disappointed in Jay's performance. I was really hoping he'd turn into our very own Canadian Jerry Sloan, instead he's becoming the inverse of Kevin O'Neil.

WOT!

Kevin was primarily a DEFENSIVE coach, and they played decent defense under his realm (they could not hit the lake though). AND HE WAS PASSIONATE! That is what Jay needs.

Jay is a nice guy but a lame duck now when he lost confidence of his players. He might be good coach for Canada but he is absolutely lost in NBA.

See: Inverse.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#57 » by dagger » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:21 pm

pharring wrote:
Jer McNama wrote:No way does the team fire Triano. No way. Danny hit it right on the head. Paying three coaches would be ridiculous.

Sorry, but there is $60 million+ tied up in this roster. You do what you gotta do to maximize that. If that means paying 3 coaches for part of one season, so be it. Personally, I think BC should pay Triano's remaining deal out of his own pocket.

I think the question of coaching salary is way overblown. Right now, they are paying off Mitchell. That's a big ticket. But Jay didn't get a big salary and he only has a two year guarantee. I could see BC either promoting an assistant or letting this ride out another 4-6 weeks by which time Jay would have received about half of his salary. The other half is about what we are paying POPs if he stays the full year, which he won't once Reggie Evans is back.

Now, I doubt we would hire an expensive coach until Mitchell is off the books next July 1.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#58 » by TheDunc » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:23 pm

The worst part about this is we wont get much value for our players. Teams know were in a vulnaruble position so they will force BC's hand. Im not sure if BC has anything up his sleeve. All i know is we aint making it to the playoffs with jay as the coach. Hes nothing more then an assistant coach. To be a coach you need to be either a great basketball mind or a great motivator or both. Jay is neither and he doesnt have experience. He was way too much of a gamble to sign to a 3 year contract
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#59 » by dagger » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:24 pm

Centre Court wrote:Hollinger nailed it. His comments are right on the mark. I've been saying the same thing since the beginning of November. Triano has to go or Bosh will walk.

Sorry, he could walk no matter what. He could walk if we were 10 games over .500. We made these mistakes with Carter, always trying to appease him (or his mother). And Carter was more impactful on team than Bosh, who for all of his talent, has never made a huge difference.

So if we fire Triano it should be for the right reasons - after a proper analysis, not because WE think it will keep Bosh from walking.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
draft
Starter
And1: 8

Post#60 » by draft » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:24 pm

Triano is probably making the minimum for coaches anyways. I doubt MLSE paid him over a million. They need to eat that money and move on.

Return to Toronto Raptors