ImageImageImageImageImage

Hollinger: Triano is in over his head!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Re: Hollinger: Triano is in over his head! 

Post#61 » by dagger » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:27 pm

PopsMensahBonsu wrote:The worst part about this is we wont get much value for our players. Teams know were in a vulnaruble position so they will force BC's hand. Im not sure if BC has anything up his sleeve. All i know is we aint making it to the playoffs with jay as the coach. Hes nothing more then an assistant coach. To be a coach you need to be either a great basketball mind or a great motivator or both. Jay is neither and he doesnt have experience. He was way too much of a gamble to sign to a 3 year contract

I'm against wholesale changes unless Bosh leaves.

We have a young team with no chemistry. One way you establish chemistry and trust is through continuity, and changing the roster almost completely year after year will never get us anywhere.

I'd rather get another high draft pick - say, Turner - and contemplate a trade next summer based on whether Bosh stays or what he gets us in a sign and trade - and on whom we draft - than to go around rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

By all means, if there is a kid in the D league who can play some real D and not be a black hole on offence, we can cut Pops or Wright. We can give DD some more minutes, change the starting lineup if necessary. But big trades? I not only don't see any I don't think it would be wise until the summer.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,529

Post#62 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:28 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:
Shaazzam wrote:I wonder if Iavaroni would then step in. He's already on the payroll.

And I'm not saying he's an ideal candidate.

That's my biggest fear.

My biggest fear isn't MI taking over. It's him taking over, getting the sort term 'bump' that new coaches often get, and that translating into him as the answer/Jay as the problem for many, especially upstairs.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Evermore
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#63 » by Evermore » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:31 pm

Phenomenologist wrote:Yah, let's give a three year contract to the guy who just went 25-40. Makes sense to me.

Let's give 53 million to an unathletic 30 year old SF with a career scoring average of 12.5 ppg on 42% shooting...
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#64 » by lucky777s » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:31 pm

Hollinger is just jumping on the player comments from last night. The points argument is BS as I believe other teams have already given up that many. He has no idea what kind of coach JT is.

Players need to shut up and keep it in house. After JT protecting their collective butts in the media, and looking foolish in interviews as a result, they should show some loyalty.

It would have been easy for Jay to just bench Jack during his struggles. Same with Wright. he stuck with them. I guess that is what they are calling bad coaching.

I hope Jay lays the smack down on these losers now. No more mr. nice guy.

If JT is fired I hope we see a real hard ass like Avery or Mike Fratello.

Alex English would be an interesting interim guy.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#65 » by J Dilla » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:32 pm

He was part of the coaching staff in Team USA. He also holds himself accountable in media interviews. You guys are delusional if you think Triano's coaching is the problem.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#66 » by TheDunc » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:34 pm

Evermore wrote:
Phenomenologist wrote:Yah, let's give a three year contract to the guy who just went 25-40. Makes sense to me.

Let's give 53 million to an unathletic 30 year old SF with a career scoring average of 12.5 ppg on 42% shooting...

Hey lets hire Marc iavoroni as a defensive coach...... :roll:
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#67 » by TheDunc » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:35 pm

J Dilla wrote:He was part of the coaching staff in Team USA. He also holds himself accountable in media interviews. You guys are delusional if you think Triano's coaching is the problem.

your kidding right? :lol: :lol: :lol: . Before i even counter your point can you explain to me what :lol: makes his a great or good coach?
CHIMOCHI
Starter
And1: 2

Post#68 » by CHIMOCHI » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:38 pm

HOLLINGER speaking the truth
u mad?
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,144

Post#69 » by C Court » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:43 pm

dagger wrote:
Centre Court wrote:Hollinger nailed it. His comments are right on the mark. I've been saying the same thing since the beginning of November. Triano has to go or Bosh will walk.

Sorry, he could walk no matter what. He could walk if we were 10 games over .500. We made these mistakes with Carter, always trying to appease him (or his mother). And Carter was more impactful on team than Bosh, who for all of his talent, has never made a huge difference.

So if we fire Triano it should be for the right reasons - after a proper analysis, not because WE think it will keep Bosh from walking.

Because of the monetary rewards, I have felt all along that Bosh would be a virtual lock to re-sign with Toronto - providing the team has a winning record and finished as a 5th or 6th seed. Bryan's off-season moves were done to achieve that goal.

The Raptors have a very talented team (particularly offensively) and I feel they are woefully under-performing in large part because they promoted Jay Triano. While he was a sound assistant with a solid technical knowledge of the game, he is not qualified to be a head coach. He is not a motivator or a leader. While I was aware of Sam's shortcomings, he succeeded because he could lead and motivate.

Look, with Sam at the helm last year, the Raptors played at a .470 clip. Then Jay took over the same roster and played out the rest of the season at a .360 pace. This season, Jay has more talent than last year, yet the Raps are struggling at .350 win %. With Jay at the helm it's not going to get better. Now it appears that's he's losing the locker room including Bosh and Jack.'

The only way this turns around and Bosh stays is for Bryan to (1) fire Jay and (2) hire a 'real' head coach. Otherwise, Colangelo should focus his efforts on trading Bosh, because he won't re-sign to stay in this mess.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,144

Post#70 » by C Court » Thu Dec 3, 2009 8:51 pm

J Dilla wrote:He was part of the coaching staff in Team USA. He also holds himself accountable in media interviews. You guys are delusional if you think Triano's coaching is the problem.

Jay Triano is an ASSISTANT coach with Team USA and he does a very nice job in that role. He was very good as an assistant in Toronto, too.

Unfortunately, Jay does not have the necessary skillset to be a top tier HEAD coach. In fact, his numbers as a head coach for Team Canada and the Raptors have been dismal.

Being a solid assistant coach no more guarantees a coach will make a great head coach than does being a solid back-up point guard mean that you will be a very good starting point guard if given the job.

Succesful head coaches do more than Xs and Os. Their role is motivation, leadership and knowing how to press the right buttons. Jay is woefully lacking leadership traits.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#71 » by J Dilla » Thu Dec 3, 2009 9:07 pm

Centre Court wrote:

Jay Triano is an ASSISTANT coach with Team USA and he does a very nice job in that role. He was very good as an assistant in Toronto, too.

Unfortunately, Jay does not have the necessary skillset to be a top tier HEAD coach. In fact, his numbers as a head coach for Team Canada and the Raptors have been dismal.

Being a solid assistant coach no more guarantees a coach will make a great head coach than does being a solid back-up point guard mean that you will be a very good starting point guard if given the job.

Succesful head coaches do more than Xs and Os. Their role is motivation, leadership and knowing how to press the right buttons. Jay is woefully lacking leadership traits.

Sorry dude, I should've used the green font. That's the reasoning used by the Triano supporters to show that he's a great head coach. All of them have disappeared.

But why did we bitch so much about Sam Mitchell having no X's and O's? Seems to me he gets a lot more out of crappy players compared to Triano with good players.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#72 » by Reignman » Thu Dec 3, 2009 9:11 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:
Shaazzam wrote:I wonder if Iavaroni would then step in. He's already on the payroll.

And I'm not saying he's an ideal candidate.

That's my biggest fear.

My biggest fear isn't MI taking over. It's him taking over, getting the sort term 'bump' that new coaches often get, and that translating into him as the answer/Jay as the problem for many, especially upstairs.

With our defense being the way it is I don't think he'll see any "bump".
kirbs
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#73 » by kirbs » Thu Dec 3, 2009 9:19 pm

Charles Oakley said it a few weeks ago:

You need to balance shooters/scorers with defenders and tough guys. And those defenders and tough guys can't just be guys coming off the bench playing 15 MPG. There needs to be balance in the STARTING LINEUP. In 2000-01, the only player besides Vince who averaged over 10 PPG was Antonio Davis, and he did so on poor efficiency (shooting percentages). They didn't worry about having 3-4 guys in the starting lineup who could average over 15 PPG. They had one great scorer, one mediocre scorer/poor shooter who also defended and rebounded, and other guys with other roles. There is no balance in the current starting lineup.
Philip J Fry
Rookie
And1: 93

Post#74 » by Philip J Fry » Thu Dec 3, 2009 10:22 pm

Centre Court wrote:

I 100% agree.

Furthermore, once a team starts to tune out their coach it's almost impossible to get them to tune back in. I don't know if things have progressed to that point yet, but you have to believe that the possibility that this could happen is something of which BC is keenly aware.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#75 » by J-Roc » Thu Dec 3, 2009 10:29 pm

Scase wrote:
J-Roc wrote:I lost interest when Hollinger said we better do something "or else we lose Bosh". Who cares about Bosh. We need to do something that works in spite of Bosh being here.

Yeah who cares about the only player that has been keeping us from being the Nets.

Oh the lofty heights...
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#76 » by hsb » Thu Dec 3, 2009 10:30 pm

J Dilla wrote:Sorry dude, I should've used the green font. That's the reasoning used by the Triano supporters to show that he's a great head coach. All of them have disappeared.

But why did we bitch so much about Sam Mitchell having no X's and O's? Seems to me he gets a lot more out of crappy players compared to Triano with good players.

Who cares?
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,928

Post#77 » by JN » Thu Dec 3, 2009 10:39 pm

What respectable coach will want to come in only to be scapegoated next year, by an obnoxious GM who has assembled a **** team, and is personally invested in a draft pick who is lazy, doesn't care, and sets an awful example for the rest of the team while shamelessly being coddled.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,511

Post#78 » by bballsparkin » Thu Dec 3, 2009 11:56 pm

It sure is looking like JT is in over his head. Sam must have felt some satisfaction watching the Raptors pathetic defensive play last night. I think it's pretty sad that millionaires need to be motivated to play defense. But time has shown over and over that the players do need motivation. And Triano has obviously failed at this.

This is ultimately on BC. I don't mind supporting a losing team. But I can't support a team that looks like it doesn't try on D. It's infuriating.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,989

Post#79 » by MEDIC » Fri Dec 4, 2009 2:42 am

dagger wrote:
Centre Court wrote:Hollinger nailed it. His comments are right on the mark. I've been saying the same thing since the beginning of November. Triano has to go or Bosh will walk.

Sorry, he could walk no matter what. He could walk if we were 10 games over .500. We made these mistakes with Carter, always trying to appease him (or his mother). And Carter was more impactful on team than Bosh, who for all of his talent, has never made a huge difference.

So if we fire Triano it should be for the right reasons - after a proper analysis, not because WE think it will keep Bosh from walking.

This. Best post I have seen from Dagger in a while.........he's been having a hard time getting back on track ever since "the incident".......
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,552

Post#80 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Dec 4, 2009 3:08 am

I should bring back this

I don't know if Miami is in anymore though...

Return to Toronto Raptors