ImageImageImageImageImage

Last night is a perfect example of ...

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Last night is a perfect example of ... 

Post#1 » by timdunkit » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:00 pm

... why this group needs to stay together. I had a good feeling we'd lose last night and we didn't lose because of talent. We lost (for what feels like the million time I've said this) because we didn't show patience and poise. We didn't run our stuff and completely played into Boston's gameplan and tempo. Despite the fact that they were missing 3 of there best players, Boston still had veterans in Rasheed and Allen who led the way for them. Combine that with a veteran coaching staff and role players who know there positions and roles (due to the veterans and coaching staff around them) and you see a team that has intangibles that the Raptors completely lacked. While there role players didn't do anything out of there limits, ours were taking shots and trying to make plays that were out of there limits (specifically our wings ...).

Banks was our best role player last nigght and really changed things on the defensive end but on the offensive ends, he was doing things that would cause veteran coaches to commit suicide. Same goes with guys like Wright, Derozan, Weems and Belinelli who all make boneheaded plays occasionally. Derozan despite being athletic, has to realize that he can't go into a pack of 3-4 guys and expect to come out victorious. Antoine Wright was a perfect role players for Carlisle but on the Raptors has played out of the rotation because of his boneheadedness (is that a word?) on the offensive end. There isn't a shot that Sonny Weems doesn't like despite the fact that he is a terrible shooter. Belinelli makes the game to complicated for himself and much harder by trying to take fadeaways and make fancy plays rather then getting the job done.

Even our guys like Jose, JJack, Bosh and Bargnani are all to soft when it counts. These guys seem to buckle in the pressure. Despite the fact that Hedo seems to laidback sometimes, when he knows he has to pick it up, he picks it up. Bargs has yet to give a full games effort despite his talent and he doesn't show enough emotions and isn't vocal. Sometimes I'm frustrated with his role because he could be a much bigger asset but at the same time, he has to step into it and demand that position on the team. When he wants to snare a rebound, he does it ... but that only seems to happen randomly when he feels like it. Jose has good games about twice a month ... and to be honest, when he has a good game we usually win but again doesn't step up. JJack buckled last night and god knows why. Bosh has demand more from his team and take that leadership role seriously. Last night, we completely ignored Bosh on the offensive end. But Bosh made no demands, he didn't fight for position, he didn't angry that his teammates didn't deliver him the ball when he had position and he was just quiet ...

So why does this team need to stick together? Because the answer is simple ... its experience. Alot of these things come with experience. Veterans and experienced players win games. The only guy over 30 getting significant minutes is Hedo. The average age of our team is 24.XX . I believe only Bosh, Hedo, Reggie Evans, and Rasho have played over 6 seasons in this league. We are a treadmill team right now but we are a young treadmill team. I don't think we realize how young we actually are. There is talent on this team and thats why we can beat out teams on our level on a consistent basis. The reason why we suck against teams that are good because they simply more experienced then us, they show more poise and patience. Things that are only gained with time and experience. If we keep getting younger, we will be doing the opposite of what it takes to win and build chemistry. People compare this team to the 06/07 but remember that the 06/07 had guys who had experience and knew what it took to win. AP/Garbo were veterans and brought a lot of experience despite not playing in the NBA. Even a role player like Delfino came from the Pistons who had vets like Billups/Hamilton/Rasheed/Prince. Of course to top of it, we had Rasho as a big man vet. We had veterans who were playing big minutes for us ... this season the only veterans playing big minutes for is Hedo.

Its something I'd like everyone to keep in the back of there minds ... I know I get as frustrated with this team as most of you do at times. But the future is positive and hopefully this team continues to grow as they gain more experience.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Re: Last night is a perfect example of ... 

Post#2 » by dagger » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:04 pm

You're preaching patience to the instant gratification crowd? The Panic City brigade?

Yes, we're young. And yes, we will improve as this season goes along and if the good parts of this team all return, we will be better next year.

I'm less sure about Triano - I think if you hold this team together, you need a better motivator.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#3 » by J-Roc » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:15 pm

Delfino wasn't on the 06/07 team.

And it's hard to stick with these guys when they've already been together for a while. Jack is a vet, and our small three of Jose, Bosh and Bargs have played with each other long enough, and including that winning season of 06/07. Keep them together is as foolhardy and trading away everyone. The answer is in the middle.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,166

Post#4 » by C Court » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:31 pm

dagger wrote: I'm less sure about Triano - I think if you hold this team together, you need a better motivator.

You are absolutely correct. A strong-willed coach who can instill confidence in this group is sorely needed, particularly because the Raps don't have any strong internal leadership.

That said, Bryan still needs to tweak this roster in the next 45 days.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#5 » by Komodo » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:37 pm

The trade deadline's in 45 days? Damn, that's coming soon. Do you think BC will be active? Does he go over the top to entice Bosh to stay, or will our future salary obligations (especially a re-signed Bosh) hinder BC from trading our expirings for in a salary dump?
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#6 » by Southward1 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:38 pm

I agree with the people who think Triano is not the right coach. This team needs an experienced coach, who commands respect and will give tough love. With a coach like this, the raps can weed out the bad eggs on the team and move forward with the right pieces instead of a bunch of pieces.
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#7 » by Test of Wills » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:53 pm

komodo19 wrote:The trade deadline's in 45 days? Damn, that's coming soon. Do you think BC will be active? Does he go over the top to entice Bosh to stay, or will our future salary obligations (especially a re-signed Bosh) hinder BC from trading our expirings for in a salary dump?

I think we'll see some tweaking. Although BC is known to be impatient, he's definitely not scared to pull the trigger and give up the future to entice what he has today.

As of now we need a back-up C and a back-up SF. And we can deal those in multiple ways.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#8 » by timdunkit » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:22 pm

I do think you make small tweaks. I'd look to bring in a veteran SG/SF either at the deadline in exchange for one of our young SG/SF (preferably Wright) or wait till the offseason to net one. If a deal isn't improving our team (in terms of wins or talent) I wouldn't pull the trigger on it. I think we have a solid group of guys and we are a .500 team or so, with a lot of room for internal improvement.

Edit: On the wings, AP's leadership would really help with guys like Weems and DD. Its too bad, BC was a day to late ...
BryceMaxJames
Bench Warmer
And1: 382

Post#9 » by BryceMaxJames » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:50 pm

Test of Wills wrote:
komodo19 wrote:The trade deadline's in 45 days? Damn, that's coming soon. Do you think BC will be active? Does he go over the top to entice Bosh to stay, or will our future salary obligations (especially a re-signed Bosh) hinder BC from trading our expirings for in a salary dump?

I think we'll see some tweaking. Although BC is known to be impatient, he's definitely not scared to pull the trigger and give up the future to entice what he has today.

As of now we need a back-up C and a back-up SF. And we can deal those in multiple ways.

What we need is a second scorer. A SG that can average atleast 18ppg. One that is consistent and entice Bosh to stay. We made a mistake over the summer, we should have gotten Ben Gordon. If u don't think he is a difference maker look at ch town now
B
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#10 » by ghuytro » Sun Jan 3, 2010 9:23 pm

Southward1 wrote:I agree with the people who think Triano is not the right coach. This team needs an experienced coach, who commands respect and will give tough love. With a coach like this, the raps can weed out the bad eggs on the team and move forward with the right pieces instead of a bunch of pieces.

It's baffling how this franchise in it's history - particularly the recent history post-Lenny - is so loathe to bring in an experienced head coach.

KO, Smitch, Triano

Those are the 3 coaches we've had in the Bosh era. If they were serious about keeping Bosh, shouldn't they have brought in a big name coach by now to show Bosh they were serious about winning?

I mean, I'm sure Bosh likes Triano as a person well and good and has a good relationship with him. But just as Bosh loves the city and has a good relationship with it, in the end it's about what happens on the court.
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#11 » by Buyaka » Sun Jan 3, 2010 10:11 pm

Last night is a perfect example of your 2009 Toronto Raptors. A Team with Soft skilled bigmen and a coach who not only gets outcoached most nights, but who gets zero respect from the refs and players.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#12 » by Too Late Crew » Sun Jan 3, 2010 11:13 pm

BryceMaxJames wrote:
Test of Wills wrote:

What we need is a second scorer. A SG that can average atleast 18ppg. One that is consistent and entice Bosh to stay. We made a mistake over the summer, we should have gotten Ben Gordon. If u don't think he is a difference maker look at ch town now
B

Ben Gordon?

look at Chi Town?

Why not look at the his cirrent team the Pistons? How much of a difference has he made there?

Ben Gordon is clearly and I mean clearly not what would improve the Raptors. An undersized jumpshooting SG who doesn't defend. Yeah that's what he need.
Rembokz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Rembokz » Mon Jan 4, 2010 12:00 am

Right now were doing pretty good against san antonio
yk24
Sixth Man
And1: 346

Post#14 » by yk24 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 1:46 am

Nice post ...

Return to Toronto Raptors