ImageImageImageImageImage

Realistic Attainable Players At The Deadline For Raptors

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Raptor04
Senior
And1: 9

Realistic Attainable Players At The Deadline For Raptors 

Post#1 » by Raptor04 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 9:54 pm

I didn't want to post this on the trade board, since it's not really a set in stone trade proposal. Instead, I know we recently had a thread on potential offers for Jose, but those included some crazy trade proposals that would require quite a rehaul of the current roster.

So, in a way that we can potentially get some realistic players back that will not only help the Raptors, but not affect other areas of our game (an example is Dalembert coming back in a trade for Iguodala, which hurts our bigman rotation and requires us to send out more than necessary), which of the players would spark the most interest to you?

Now, just before mentioning some names, I'd assume if a trade of this nature has to be made, we'd want to hang onto the guys that are not sending away assets that are already of use to the Raptors. The whole point of a midseason trade is to swap talented players that don't fit on the current team, and Jose fits into that category right now. That includes not trading/affecting any of Jack, Derozan, Turkoglu, Bosh, Bargnani, Johnson, or Banks in these packages. Without further ado...

1. Jamal Crawford- May be hard, however they have a ton of scorers and Bibby is averaging career lows in many categories, and could be on the decline with 3 more years still on his contract. Calderon could be a valuable PG off the bench and would be more helpful than the rookie Teague. They also would be able to take back less salary in the short term (Calderon makes a mil less currently plus we'd throw in some expirings). They were coveting him a while back and he could still be a perfect offensive manager for one of the most athletic teams in the league.

2. Nazr Mohammed+Acie Law- We can get out of Calderon's contract, add a solid 4th big who could act as insurance incase Johnson can't be resigned, and also runs on a contract that expires next season. Law becomes a 3rd string PG and expiring while the Bobcats get something they haven't got in awhile, a true PG who can facilitate their offense and wouldn't be noticeable with the tough defense they have. Also gives them a bigger chance to make the playoffs for the first time.

3. Richard Hamilton- No matter what Pistons fans say, Hamilton probably runs on a worse contract than Calderon. He could be a useful piece for the Raptors however, and would definately bring the experience that we lack. And although Detroit has Stuckey and Bynum, they have looked horrible this season in terms of PG's managing the offense, and Jose would be just that. Besides, with how bad they've done this season, and at the pace that Bynum has played at, it may not be out of the realm that Detroit won't be willing to pay him the money he'll demand, and would suddenly be in need of a PG.

4. Lakers Expirings- Fisher's contract expires at the end of the season. Farmar has a qualifying offer that the Lakers may choose to not pick up based on offers he'll receive from other teams. Clearly this team is in need of a PG unless they choose to move Bryant there, which I don't think they want to. Calderon gives them a long time solution and the Raps can pick up some capspace to help them in the offseason. It's not like the Lakers will be able to afford one, regardless of their expirings.

*Keep in mind, these aren't trade package suggestions. I only threw Law in the Charlotte one to balance salaries there, but otherwise I'd like to leave it up to you and hear your comments on which you feel may be the best fit, or suggest a player that will be realistic for the Raptors. Not one that requires us to trade 5 players for 2, or 7 for 5.
Hobo Gonzolez
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Realistic Attainable Players At The Deadline For Raptors 

Post#2 » by Hobo Gonzolez » Tue Jan 5, 2010 9:58 pm

I don't think Atlanta is looking to move Crawford. He is playing well for them.
Also, you are aware that Mohammed+Law suck.
Raptor04
Senior

Post#3 » by Raptor04 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:02 pm

Hobo Gonzolez wrote:I don't think Atlanta is looking to move Crawford. He is playing well for them.
Also, you are aware that Mohammed+Law suck.

Crawford is the least likely of the 4, but Mohammed is averaging 7.5ppg and 4rpg in only 13 minutes of action and has made 7 starts in 32 games this season. Although he wouldn't be as helpful, he allows us to stick with a working rotation at the PG slot, and allows Turk to use his playmaking as an asset. It also gives us an insurance big and gets us out of Jose's contract.
pharring
Sixth Man
And1: 348

Post#4 » by pharring » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:02 pm

Hamilton is an interesting idea.

Jose + Wright for Hamilton.

Wright is an expiring deal, so Detroit gets a bit of a savings after this year. Depends on their level of interest in moving Stuckey from PG to SG, because they wouldn't deal for Calderon unless they are going to start him. Also depends on if they want Gordon coming off the bench.

Deal gives us another vet... a good defender... likely takes minutes away from DeRozan and Weems, but sending Wright out makes those two our SG/SF options off the bench. We'd have to rely on Banks/Belinelli/Hedo as back-up for Jack.

I'd do it. Not sure Detroit would.
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#5 » by Dr Octagon » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:03 pm

Jose for Laker's expiring.

Where can I sign?
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#6 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:08 pm

Jose Calderon + Antonie Wright + Patrick O'Byrant for Richard Hamilton + Chucky Atkins

sign me up for that.

Jack/Belinelli/Atkins
Hamilton/Derozan/Banks
Hedo/Weems
Bosh/Evans/Pops(10 day)
Bargnani/Amir/Rasho
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#7 » by Yuri Vaultin » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:08 pm

I would think bit players that haven't had much opportunity are the ones that will be available.

D.J. Augustin comes to mind.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#8 » by Volcano » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:08 pm

Jose + filler for Laker's expiring + Shannon Brown
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#9 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:09 pm

pharring wrote:Hamilton is an interesting idea.

Wright is an expiring deal, so Detroit gets a bit of a savings after this year. Depends on their level of interest in moving Stuckey from PG to SG, because they wouldn't deal for Calderon unless they are going to start him. Also depends on if they want Gordon coming off the bench.

Deal gives us another vet... a good defender... likely takes minutes away from DeRozan and Weems, but sending Wright out makes those two our SG/SF options off the bench. We'd have to rely on Banks/Belinelli/Hedo as back-up for Jack.

Good idea, but actually Kevin Martin is better.
Similar contract (and Kevin pays more in his last year) and younger.

I think Kevin Martin is quicker than Hamilton as well, but he didn't show it as he is the main scorer in Sac town.
BryceMaxJames
Bench Warmer
And1: 382

Post#10 » by BryceMaxJames » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:10 pm

NO WAY for Hamilton, did u see how much he is owed the next 4 years? No thanks, I would say yes to Crawford.

Crawford for Jose and Wright.

these are my players:

1. Ben Gordon - Pistons have Hamilton long term, and will wanna lock up stuckey and bynum
2. Jamal Crawford - If the hawks wanna keep Joe Johnson they will most likely have to give him up
3. K Azibuke- to many guards on GS and they now have Morrow.
Ogopogo
Junior
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Ogopogo » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:11 pm

We have to trade for Hamilton.
Tanking is for pussies.
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#12 » by dillio » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:14 pm

Calderon + Bargnani for Iggy + Brand

Bosh
Brand
Hedo
Iggy
Jack

= win

Pros:
- We get a scoring wing in Iguodala

Cons:
- Brand (bad contract, undersized, might take away Bosh's space)

Hmm... maybe it's not a win
RapsFanInOhio
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,965

Post#13 » by RapsFanInOhio » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:18 pm

Jose is not going to get you Martin or Crawford. He MIGHT get you Hamilton but I doubt that too because a Jose/Stuckey combo isn't very appealing.

I wouldn't mind Jose/2nd Round Pick for Augustine and one of Nazr/Diop though. Thats a pretty realistic deal for both teams and works financially.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#14 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:19 pm

I actually think Jose/Stuckey works a lot better than Hamilton/Stuckey. It might work. Also anyone remember this rumor.

CBS Sports cites a rumor that the Raptors are interested in Rip Hamilton and are apparently offering up T.J. Ford.

June 25, CBS Sports: LSU's Anthony Randolph recently worked out for Indiana and Portland, teams that might be on the outside looking in, as Milwaukee also likes the Tigers forward if Alexander is off the board. If Randolph is still there at No. 11, Indiana will scoop him up and re-open talks with Toronto about a trade that would send Jermaine O'Neal to the Raptors for a package that would include Toronto's No. 17 pick, point guard T.J. Ford and center Rasho Nesterovic. To trade up in the lottery for Randolph, Indiana would have to offer Mike Dunleavy and/or Danny Granger to find an inviting trade partner.

Indiana, knowing Randolph will need some time to develop, could then ship Ford to the Knicks for Lee, as New York is in the market for a veteran point guard and is also talking to Phoenix about Leandro Barbosa. The Knicks could bypass Indiana and entice Toronto with Jamal Crawford for Ford's services. Toronto is also interested in Detroit's Richard Hamilton, but the Pistons would be more willing to deal if Jose Calderon was substituted for Ford.

There are a lot of interesting rumors that are listed by CBS Sports. Although a TJ Ford for Rip Hamilton deal doesn't seem to fit what Joe Dumars has in mind. With the amount of chatter that is developing before the draft, this years NBA draft could be very interesting and followed by an even more interesting free agent season.
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
elitehunter99
Veteran

Post#15 » by elitehunter99 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:20 pm

Indeed wrote:

Good idea, but actually Kevin Martin is better.
Similar contract (and Kevin pays more in his last year) and younger.

I think Kevin Martin is quicker than Hamilton as well, but he didn't show it as he is the main scorer in Sac town.

YOU ARE NOT gonna land Kevin Martin for Calderon, unless Bosh or Bargnani are going the other way.... Get real...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

With Hamilton though, both him and Turkoglu will be old and overpaid, and both contracts will act as a significant roadblock to improving this team before 2012.......
PoloGoose
Senior
And1: 0

Post#16 » by PoloGoose » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:21 pm

it'll be a sad season when i have to look at rip's glass face more than 4 times.

besides, dude's making 12+ a season through 2012/13.. how we gonna resign cb4 or any big free agent this off season with no money?

we need caron.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#17 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:22 pm

colangelo wrote:it'll be a sad season when i have to look at rip's glass face more than 4 times.

besides, dude's making 12+ a season through 2012/13.. how we gonna resign cb4 or any big free agent this off season with no money?

we need caron.

we have no money if CB walks. None. The MLE is all we have to spend. Your not going to get someone of Rips caliber for the MLE next summer.
BryceMaxJames
Bench Warmer
And1: 382

Post#18 » by BryceMaxJames » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:28 pm

Ogopogo wrote:We have to trade for Hamilton.

Richard Hamilton #32 Guard-Forward Detroit Pistons 6-7 Weight: 193
Born: Feb 14, 1978 - Coatesville, Pennsylvania

Player 2009-10 2010-11 2011-12 2012-13 2013-14 2014-15
Rip Hamilton $11,625,000 $12,650,000 $12,650,000 $12,650,000

How many 30plus players to we need on this team making over 10 mill, and on the decline of their career?
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#19 » by MrBojangelz71 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:38 pm

I would jump at Hamilton but I doubt Detroit gives him up for Jose. A starting five with AB/Bosh/Hedo/Rip and Jack would be very deadly. Rip moves so well off the ball, Hedo and him would have a hayday on opposing defense.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#20 » by Nolan » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:44 pm

Calderon for Felton straight up. Calderon gives the Bobcats some much needed outside shooting, a solid distributor and he fits their half court style of play. Charlotte's basically given up on Felton, but I think he could work here and if he doesn't he expires at season's end anyway.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."

Return to Toronto Raptors