ImageImageImageImageImage

Realistic Attainable Players At The Deadline For Raptors

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

misterglover
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Realistic Attainable Players At The Deadline For Raptors 

Post#41 » by misterglover » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:13 am

Hobo Gonzolez wrote:Its Lindsay Lohan. I dunno what movie it's from, I just found this gif online. I would appreciate someone telling me what movie it is from as well.

Pardon me, Im a bobcats fan but the movie is Georgia Rule.....
Hobo Gonzolez
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#42 » by Hobo Gonzolez » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:20 am

misterglover wrote:
Hobo Gonzolez wrote:Its Lindsay Lohan. I dunno what movie it's from, I just found this gif online. I would appreciate someone telling me what movie it is from as well.

Pardon me, Im a bobcats fan but the movie is Georgia Rule.....

Thanks.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#43 » by Komodo » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:21 am

Calderon for Vujacic and Morrison works in the checker.
RapsGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#44 » by RapsGM » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:22 am

PeterJ wrote:Jose for Laker's expiring.

Where can I sign?

With the additional capspace what can we realistically do? Would it give BC more flexibilty or would it also us to do something in the offseason?
webeye
Sixth Man
And1: 1,127

Post#45 » by webeye » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:32 am

komodo19 wrote:Calderon for Vujacic and Morrison works in the checker.

Subtraction by subtraction? Has Calderon's value really dropped that much?

As soon as we acquired Sasha and Morrison, we'd wish we had Calderon again, just so we could use him as trade bait to get rid of the other two.
Hobo Gonzolez
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#46 » by Hobo Gonzolez » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:33 am

RapsGM wrote:

Where can I sign?

With the additional capspace what can we realistically do? Would it give BC more flexibilty or would it also us to do something in the offseason?

it gets us farther from the tax. Also, we will have max cap room if Bosh leaves(not 100% sure)
Komodo
Banned User

Post#47 » by Komodo » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:40 am

webeye wrote:
komodo19 wrote:Calderon for Vujacic and Morrison works in the checker.

Subtraction by subtraction? Has Calderon's value really dropped that much?

As soon as we acquired Sasha and Morrison, we'd wish we had Calderon again, just so we could use him as trade bait to get rid of the other two.

Morrison's qualifying offer for 10-11 would be declined, making him a UFA, leaving us with a little more wiggle room this summer, possible allowing us to re-sign Amir?

Vujacic would join Banks and Evans to form $15 mil in expirings we can dangle this summer.

I like this deal because it gives us more flexibility immediately and in the future.
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#48 » by Dr Octagon » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:49 am

RapsGM wrote:

Where can I sign?

Well, looks like the cap and luxury tax are coming down, and if Bosh re-signs with this roster as is, we'll need the extra flexibility to keep a guy like Amir, and add some depth at the SF position.

Keeping this roster as if will basically put us into the luxury tax, so it makes sense to cut some "dead' weight.
RaptorZz101
Senior
And1: 14

Post#49 » by RaptorZz101 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:10 am

Any of these trades happened i wouldnt like it. We need a proven SF
ForeveRaptorFan
Sixth Man
And1: 11

Post#50 » by ForeveRaptorFan » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:26 am

If we get Hamilton, we're going all out to contend. Bargs need to go for a defensive Center. There won't be enough touches for him anyways.

Jack/Banks
Hamilton/DD
Hedo/Wright?
Bosh/Amir
Haywood,Dalembert-esque C/Rasho

That should get to the 2nd round no problem pushing to ECF.
Following Bargnani's Progress since entering the League: Bargnani, Ill Mago, Barney, Bustnani, Bust and a Nani, Beastnani, Beardnani, Killer B...
Raptor04
Senior
And1: 9

Post#51 » by Raptor04 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:37 am

The_Hater wrote:What do any of the suggestions in the OP really gain us?

This team either makes a blockbuster and goes 'all-in' for a star Guard or star Center (or both) or they'll just be left as 1st round fodder no matter who they add.

The point of a trade would not be to go for a big risk kind of deal. The thing I'm getting at is trying to make a trade that doesn't compromise the guys that fit in here, while swapping talent that we don't need for an additional piece to help us at a greater position of priority.

Agreed, none of the trades are exactly "wow" trades, but that's not what the Raptors need. Right now, we have 3 players who haven't even reached their prime who could be solid players in this league (Bosh, Bargnani, Derozan). Then we have some additional pieces that seperate us from teams in our tier (Turkoglu, Johnson, Jack). Many times we have seen BC swing for the fence in efforts to push this team too quickly. He did it with Jermaine, he did it with Marion and he's done it now with Turkoglu.

What he didn't realise is that while Bosh and Bargnani hadn't even reached their prime yet, and now add Derozan to that mix, this team needs the experience to stay together, while making minor trades that help the team along the way until we're ready. A prime example is Atlanta. Al Horford was just a decent centre in his rookie campaign, and Josh Smith was good but inconsistant and not much of a factor in their winning. Joe Johnson put up his numbers, but they didn't really have an effect on their winning. Then suddenly, they swung 2 trades that got them Bibby and Crawford, without sacrificing the glut of the team, and guys like Evans and Pachulia came into their own.

So while I'm not saying for us to make one of those trades, I'd like people to suggest trades that will be realistically possible without glutting our roster again. This team has talent, they just need experience. Let's say that Calderon, Belinelli, Wright, Evans, Weems, O'Bryant and assets are what this team has to work with in a trade. In my opinion, some of those players are helpful to the team, however they can be upgraded without hurting the system either by upgrading them at their current position, or by pushing some guys from our core further down the system. This is where I get at a possible Starting calibre SG for the Raps, as it will temporarily push DD down, but still get him his minutes, and then we'd have an expiring at a time when we need it and he's ready to contribute consistantly. It also allows us to add a piece that may help the current cast of players.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#52 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:48 am

wow hilarious people bitching about Hamiltons contract. First of all its 2 million more than Jose per year and that means no Cack together on the court. I for one am ecstatic just because of that aspect. Hes a decent defender, better than Jose thats for sure but wait it gets better. The last year of Hamiltons contract is unguaranteed. Meaning we actually save a year on Joses deal.

Hamilton does put us over the Hawks, could easily make the second round and potentially go further. We would have a promising future still because we dont give up any young pieces and Hamilton is only 2 years older than Jose

Jack/Belinelli/Atkins
Hamilton/Derozan/Banks
Hedo/Weems
Bosh/Evans/Pops(10 day)
Bargnani/Amir/Rasho

how is that team not have the depth to go far, its deep at every position and has a ton of talent. Second round easily meaning WE KEEP BOSH.
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Komodo
Banned User

Post#53 » by Komodo » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:00 am

Detroit doesn't trade Hamilton for Calderon, they already have Stuckey, Gordon, and Bynum at PG/SG.
pharring
Sixth Man
And1: 352

Post#54 » by pharring » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:06 am

komodo19 wrote:Detroit doesn't trade Hamilton for Calderon, they already have Stuckey, Gordon, and Bynum at PG/SG.

I think it depends on whether Detroit believes Stuckey is a PG or a SG moving forward. Gordon is definately a SG. Bynum is a PG, though not a pass first PG. It's a move they would consider making if they want to move Stuckey to SG and they want to save a few $$ on Rip's remaining contract.

But you're right... I'm not seeing a whole lot of incentives on the Detroit side. And I'm not about to sweeten it by substituting Amir for Wright in the deal.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#55 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:06 am

komodo19 wrote:Detroit doesn't trade Hamilton for Calderon, they already have Stuckey, Gordon, and Bynum at PG/SG.

Detroit has finally realized this year that Stuckey is actually a SG. He's very good at getting in the lane for his own shot but terrible at running the offense and getting his teammates involved. Does that cause a problem with Ben Gordon there? Absolutely. And I expect that one of them will be moved sooner or later.

Either way, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dumars is looking for a PG.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#56 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:06 am

i agree it doesnt make much sense but Stuckey is more of a SG anyway. I think it would just be someone that can run the offense better and they were interested in such a swap before. It also saves them some money, 2 million a year

Calderon/Bynum
Stuckey/Gordon/Wright
Prince/Jerbko/Daye
CV/Maxiell/Summers
Wallace/Wilcox/Brown/O'Byrant

Doesnt look so unbalanced to me.
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
postup
Sixth Man
And1: 267

Post#57 » by postup » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:49 am

I will throw up all day, every day if I ever see Vujacic in a Raptors jersey.

Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,517

Post#58 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:57 am

We're set at all the positions, so we won't be trading for an impact player.
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#59 » by dillio » Wed Jan 6, 2010 5:20 am

vancityballer wrote:
dillio wrote:Calderon + Bargnani for Iggy + Brand

Bosh
Brand
Hedo
Iggy
Jack

= win

Pros:
- We get a scoring wing in Iguodala

Cons:
- Brand (bad contract, undersized, might take away Bosh's space)

Hmm... maybe it's not a win

WTF? Have you seen a 76ers game this year at all? They suck and these two aren't exactly lighting it up. I like Iggy fine, but Brand is on the downside and hasn't shown anything in his time on the floor, thus his splintered ass finding time on the bench. Epic fail. Keep Bargs, trade dillio to the 76ers board.

Do you think Philly gives up their best player for nothing? Hell no. For us to get Iggy for Jose (mediore player, bad contract) we'd have to give them SOMEONE of value (Bargs) and take a **** contract (Brand). I never said Brand didn't suck, but my proposal was more realistic than trading Jose straight up for an elite wing.
223red
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#60 » by 223red » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:30 pm

Is Detroit really that desperate to get rid of Hamilton? If what they really want is to get out of his contract, Calderon isn't really the right trade piece. They already have decent guard play as well (I haven't watched the Pistons games, so maybe I'm wrong), so what is the motivation to dump Rip for Jose? If they insist on getting Derozan I think it's a non-starter. If it is a potential deal, I think it's a good one for the Raps as it gives them the quality SG and playoff performer they won't otherwise be able to find. BC doesn't seem too worried about overpaying older players when he thinks they're good (Turk, JO, Marion, Rasho when he was first signed at $8mil/yr), so I think arguing over the age issue is just spinning your wheels.

I also agree Jose to LA works well for LA. We'd have to get back LA's draft pick and some cash along with those expirings to make it fair. But - I don't think BC even considers trading Jose for scraps until he sees how he fits in with this now winning team and decides he's totally redudant and expendable. Which is something I doubt will happen, given that the team's long-term success is predicated on resigning Bosh, which means it is also predicated on the success of this season.

In either case, BC will either insist on getting a backup PG as part of the deal or will have to get comfortable with Banks running backup for the forseeable future, which until recently is something nobody would stand for (maybe he'll rely on Bellinelli as a fall back). He's learned his lesson from the Roko/Solo-man debacle and won't make the same mistake again (I hope).

Return to Toronto Raptors