ImageImageImageImageImage

Nowitzki: Bargs is way more athletic than I ever was

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Re: Nowitzki: Bargs is way more athletic than I ever was 

Post#46 » by A_wildstabatanything » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:36 pm

The biggest difference between the 2 on the offensive end is Dirk's ability to create separation and hit shots offbalance (leaners, fades, a better turnaround). He doesn't even need the dribble to create enough room... a lot of it is just crafty upperbody motion/hesitation fakes.
jumpman95
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#47 » by jumpman95 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Test of Wills wrote:Barg's 4th year: MPG 34.3 PPG 17.2 RPG 6.5 BPG 1.4

Dirk's 4th year: MPG 38.0 PPG 23.4 RPG 9.9 BPG 1.0

Just food for thought.

Bargs ain't the first option on his team.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,014

Post#48 » by MEDIC » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:41 pm

Just food for thought.

Dirk had 4 more minutes per game. You add those to Bargnani's game & statistically, you get:

19.2ppg
7.5rpg
1.6bpg

You add Bargnani's better overall defence to that & things are pretty comparable in terms of value.

Also, you have to consider that these are Dirks final numbers at the end of the season. I expect that Bargnani's scoring numbers & rebounding numbers to increase by .5 or more by the end of the season.

Let's revisit this at the end of the season.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
The Offseasono
Freshman

Post#49 » by The Offseasono » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:42 pm

Bargnani plays and moves like an NBA SF. So when i look at his stats, i tend to compare them to a SF stat line
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,787

Post#50 » by ForeverTFC » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:46 pm

The Offseasono wrote:Bargnani plays and moves like an NBA SF. So when i look at his stats, i tend to compare them to a SF stat line

That's foolish. He plays he 5 spot. At best you can compare him to 4s but that is about it. He doesn't set up where SFs do. He doesn't make cuts in the offense like SFs do. On the defensive end he is in a different positions than SFs and he is guarded by big men which allows him to do some things more and some things less.

Bargs needs to up his rebounding to 8 per game on a consistent basis. 20/8/1.5 is what I have always wanted for Bargs. If he achieves that, he is one of the better centers in the game. Those are all start numbers for Cs in the NBA.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#51 » by Undefeated » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 pm

E-TRAK wrote:hope to see bargs improve his handles.. not just the usual pump fake dribble drive stop

Bargnani has amazing handles actually, so I don't understand this notion about Bargnani having to improve his handles. Do you ever see a C who can pull a cross over like Bargnani and go straight down the lane for a poster? None I'd say.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Alepphe
Pro Prospect
And1: 46

Post#52 » by Alepphe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:07 am

Always been a Bargs supporter, but never been a blind supporter. I think right now could be a turning point in his career. It's up to him to show if he can step up to the next level or if he is only a third option in a good team. What i'm liking in his improved play in the last games is the solid D and the emotion he is showing. But a half dozen of good games are not enough, he need to be consistent, and consistency has always been a problem with him. Anyway his contract his starting to look way better now. Is Bargs more athletic than Nowitzki? Probably. But athleticism has never been Dirk's biggest asset. As lot of you guys said, the value that Nowitzky bring to the court night in and night out is in his leadership and in the arsenal of moves the he can use around the basket or to create separation to use his sweet midrange stroke. I think that we can agree that Bargs is a talented player, but it's totally up to him to continue to work hard and improve, in that case we may have a very nice player (with a cheap contract) on our hands.
Andrea>Dirk
Bench Warmer

Post#53 » by Andrea>Dirk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 am

Feels great to be able to show my username and not get heat anymore. At least for now. Hopefully he keeps it up, I've backed him since day one. I think we're also starting to see the idea of him and bosh co-existing isn't so absurd after all, espescially considering both have made strides defensively this season.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,072

Post#54 » by Indeed » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:18 am

Bargnani plays the PF most of the time, and Bosh plays the C, unless the opposing C is too big, which Bosh and Bargs will switch around on defense.

Meanwhile, it is not the offense that Bargnani is providing, it is his defense that makes him a complete player as compare to Dirk on only excel in his offense.
Dirk is better:
- Post game (Dirk is better, but Bargs can be more skillful in this)
- Rebounding (Bargs is getting there, might slightly below Dirk)
- Aggressiveness (Dirk will always be better here, and because he is the leader of the team)
- Pump fakes (Dirk has lots of experience here, and I think he will always be better)
- Offensive awareness (Bargs cannot learn this)

Bargs is better:
- Defense (much better than Dirk)
- Blocks (much better than Dirk)
- Defensive awareness (slightly better)
- Positioning (better than Dirk)

The defense blows out Dirk, so if you are including blocks, it would be a different comparison.
Canada_7
General Manager
And1: 2,486

Post#55 » by Canada_7 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:31 am

I like Bargs and all, but meh, just a player who's team lost today against us complementing how we played against them for the media. Not gonna take it as much else.
Jay_Rapleaf
Sophomore

Post#56 » by Jay_Rapleaf » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:33 am

odb 7777 wrote:
tha-prince wrote:

Just food for thought.

I hope no one mistakes this for me saying Bargs is better than Dirk, BUT, Dirk put up those numbers as a first option. Bargs is getting his points so effortlessly it is mind boggling. We barely run plays for him. The only plays he really gets called for is the ISO once in a while and the pick and roll at the top of the key.

Bargs is probably one of our better cutters in the offense, cutting towards the hoop. Him and Bosh are really clicking on that move. Bargs also hits alot of pressure shots. To be putting up the numbers he does without even being the second option is great.

No, Dirk was a third option. Finley was the first, Nash the second option.

Don't forget Dirk had STEVE NASH giving him the ball.
The id, The ego and The Miami Heat
Pomme
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#57 » by Pomme » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:36 am

Dirk is by far better than Bargs.. give me a break people. Dirk led a team to 65+ wins and NBA Finals. If barg was #1 option, i would be jumping for joy if we just even made the playoffs. Barg's is young, but his shot is not automatic like dirk, nor does he have the craftiness/bball IQ to create his own shot consistently. His defense is better but he doesn't have that fire, that will to win.

Barg's is what he is. Hes worth this 10m contract nothing more. He is living up to his expectations of being a great 2nd option. He will never be at Disco's level. Never.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#58 » by Tofubeque » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 am

It'll be an interesting comparison when both their careers are said and done. Right now, Bargs hasn't had the benefit of coming over at 19, playing with Nash, being the first option for years, etc... but on the other hand, the need for him to be a better role player has improved his defense past Dirk's level, I think.

I don't think he has a chance to put up numbers like Dirk's unless Bosh leaves... and even then, it would have to be after years of refinement and not-so-successful seasons.
props Turbozone
Jose_Matador
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#59 » by Jose_Matador » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:56 am

I put a lot of things in perspective when I compare the two scoring wise.

-Bargs has obstacles that have stinted his growth offensively (playing along side another guy who demands 17+ touches a game)
- Too many experiments to find out what position he plays best, the guy played SF one year !
-STILL isn't in his natural position, but still excels because of his quickness and shooting touch.

But some how I think that despite all those things Dirk would still end up better because of the rebounding.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#60 » by Kabookalu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 am

I've always thought that Bargnani's ceiling is a Dirk/Parish hybrid minus the rebounding. Parish's ability to run the court and his defense (which was imo above average to good) with Dirk's scoring.
rahzel2k4
Junior

Post#61 » by rahzel2k4 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:21 am

he shut me up. i get frustrated to no end when he used to take off balance jumpers all the time (like masrco), not always go strong to the basket (like marco) and never help on d. Andrea Bargnani, this is my official apology to you.
CACK
Banned User

Post#62 » by CACK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:43 am

dirk shud rename himself to irk for no D
garbagnani
Starter
And1: 194

Post#63 » by garbagnani » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:04 am

Indeed wrote:Bargnani plays the PF most of the time, and Bosh plays the C, unless the opposing C is too big, which Bosh and Bargs will switch around on defense.

Meanwhile, it is not the offense that Bargnani is providing, it is his defense that makes him a complete player as compare to Dirk on only excel in his offense.
Dirk is better:
- Post game (Dirk is better, but Bargs can be more skillful in this)
- Rebounding (Bargs is getting there, might slightly below Dirk)
- Aggressiveness (Dirk will always be better here, and because he is the leader of the team)
- Pump fakes (Dirk has lots of experience here, and I think he will always be better)
- Offensive awareness (Bargs cannot learn this)

Bargs is better:
- Defense (much better than Dirk)
- Blocks (much better than Dirk)
- Defensive awareness (slightly better)
- Positioning (better than Dirk)

The defense blows out Dirk, so if you are including blocks, it would be a different comparison.

Bargs is always the C, bosh the pf
Nostradunkus
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#64 » by Nostradunkus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:05 am

Bargnani cant dribble like Dirk, never will be able to.
Nostradunkus
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#65 » by Nostradunkus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:06 am

#9 wrote:All for the Bargs haters. Remember that big men take the longest to develop.

Bargnani will continue to get better and better

How good will he get? Dirk level? Thats disappointing, im not into Dirks game. Jump shooting big men are a waste of time.

Return to Toronto Raptors