Virus, Malware, New Feedback Thread

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 232

Virus, Malware, New Feedback Thread 

Post#1 » by CR Reina » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:27 pm

There have been a few users who have received the 'Antivirus PC 2009' virus onto their computers. Some have wondered if it possibly could have come from being on RealGM. It has apparently infected hundreds of thousands, if not millions of computers across the world and I can assure you that it is not coming from RealGM or any of the ads.

For any future concerns with the ads, both the content or possible malware, please consult this thread on the Feedback board. It also gives a rundown of our policies regarding advertising.

If you have a problem, we'd rather have you go there so we can handle it directly instead of troubling the mods with it.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=978414

We appreciate your help and feedback on this.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Virus, Malware, New Feedback Thread 

Post#2 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:40 pm

I did receive a pop-up from MSN about a week ago warning me that www.realgm.com is infected and it warned against me going to it. I ignore it and haven't had any problems that I've noticed. But I've never gotten a warning like that before or since.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#3 » by dillio » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:54 pm

When I got the "Spyware Detected" popup, RealGM was the _only_ site I had open.
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by MajorDad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:57 pm

My norton utilities has detected it and blocked it several times this week. One site was the WII instruction manual site.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#5 » by europa » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:05 pm

dillio wrote:When I got the "Spyware Detected" popup, RealGM was the _only_ site I had open.

Same here. That happened to me yesterday working on a Mac. Only site I had open at the time was RealGM.
Nothing will not break me.
R33D33
General Manager
And1: 15
Location: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Post#6 » by R33D33 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:08 pm

I only get these viruses notifications from my avast when I browse Realgm and only realgm.
R33D33 wrote:Can we agree on this, get rid of all benefits corporations get from governments?
Bulltalk wrote:Not really.
‎"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." – H.L. Mencken
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#7 » by jax98 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:14 pm

I've noticed that most problems seem to happen with people using Norton anti-virus. So just out of curiousity, have anyone had these problems using AVG or any other program?
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#8 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm getting it too and I use McAfee (Yes I know, most people think it sucks but AVG destroyed my other laptop).

I just restart my computer and everything's fine.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#9 » by edfmx86 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:18 pm

wow, i did get raped by this malware stuff yesterday, i downloaded a-squared free and took care of the problem...very stressful afternoon...
Jakespeare
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#10 » by Jakespeare » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:25 pm

Got the same thing from RGM. Luckily I caught it but damn.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#11 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:31 pm

I got it here and it ruined my desktop and almost took out my laptop. I run Norton 360 AND a secondary anti-spyware at the same time and that normally keeps things managable.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,802

Post#12 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:36 pm

europa wrote:
dillio wrote:When I got the "Spyware Detected" popup, RealGM was the _only_ site I had open.

Same here. That happened to me yesterday working on a Mac. Only site I had open at the time was RealGM.

I'm on a Mac and can say that I've never seen the popup. I'm also using a browser that blocks popups, though, so that might be why.

Regardless, and this isn't directed at you europa, even if it did effect Macs (it doesn't, as far as I know), I can't imagine anyone would be fooled into clicking on it. It destroyed my friend's computer so I've had a look at it, and it quite clearly tried to play itself off as something that's native to Windows. I think most Mac users would understand that they wouldn't get a popup that looks like a window and has the logo.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#13 » by europa » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:39 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
europa wrote:

I'm on a Mac and can say that I've never seen the popup. I'm also using a browser that blocks popups, though, so that might be why.

Regardless, and this isn't directed at you europa, even if it did effect Macs (it doesn't, as far as I know), I can't imagine anyone would be fooled into clicking on it. It destroyed my friend's computer so I've had a look at it, and it quite clearly tried to play itself off as something that's native to Windows. I think most Mac users would understand that they wouldn't get a popup that looks like a window and has the logo.

I knew right away what it was. I shut down my computer and everything was fine. I had issues with spyware on my old PC a couple of years ago when I was on RealGM. Same type of thing that happened yesterday on the Mac.
Nothing will not break me.
bloodtoavampire
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#14 » by bloodtoavampire » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Dont post lies on here.

There is malware on this site. My IT person at work can verify that. I tested it by only going to this site online for a week straight and got the same malware 3 times.

So dont bull us.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#15 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:00 pm

So I can't load pages even though connected to the internet. Any suggestions to clean it up or good, cheap antivirus software?
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 309

Post#16 » by GswStorm3 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Buy the Malwarebytes pro version and you guys will be fine.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#17 » by whysoserious » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:09 pm

I don't understand how you can post that it's not coming from RealGM when it's happened to my computer three or four times in the past month and the only site I was visiting at the time was Real GM. I didn't trust it and got rid of it but clearly it's coming from this site. Not necessarily from RealGM but you guys should be looking into this and getting it off the site.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,511

Post#18 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:I've noticed that most problems seem to happen with people using Norton anti-virus. So just out of curiousity, have anyone had these problems using AVG or any other program?

I've never had this problem(AVG).....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#19 » by jax98 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Klomp wrote:
Morten Jensen wrote:I've noticed that most problems seem to happen with people using Norton anti-virus. So just out of curiousity, have anyone had these problems using AVG or any other program?

I've never had this problem(AVG).....

I run on AVG too, and so far my CPU has been clean as a whistle. However, I don't get the same ads, as I live in Denmark. So I don't know if that makes a difference :dontknow:
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,843

Post#20 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:20 pm

I've had it pop up a couple times at home, though not recently. I've never had it at work and we use Norton. Work is firewalled to hell and back, though so that might make a big difference. Just out of curiousity are most of the folks getting this connecting at school, work, or home?

Return to Feedback and Suggestions